Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think that "God" or some other Higher Power has anything to do with. .

Topic closed. 148 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gogidolim.

Page 2 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I doubt you know what you are doing disparaging other religions while questioning others' thoughts and beliefs in favor of your own. You seem to have no problem posting your beliefs while discouraging others from posting theirs.

The core of Chrisitanity is rooted in the Jewish religion, but totally opposed to the principle. It's not that the Jews don't believe in Jesus. They accept Jesus as prophet, the same as Muslims do. The Jewish messiah, a word the Christians use for savior simply means anointed one, not savior, demi-god. The notion of an innocent, divine, half person/god who sacrifices himself to save the rest of humanity is totally a Christian idea. For these reasons the Jews have come to refer to their messiah as the mashiach, the true anointed one.

In truth Jesus was never divine until Paul entered and created the picture we see today. And who vouches for what Paul says? Only Paul. How strange. All the prophets testify of a god, but only Paul testifies of Paul.

I thank you to speak on religions you know about.

As to your question,  gods do not mettle in the affairs of man. One may find favor but just because 50,001 persons are praying for one team and 57,468 are praying for the other does nothing to bring a god into play. It would be a petty god to create all this, and give free will, only to micromanage every detail such as whether we get rain in my town and how much falls. Not to mention free will is worthless if he who gave it continued to block its use.

I doubt you know what you are doing disparaging other religions while questioning others' thoughts and beliefs in favor of your own. You seem to have no problem posting your beliefs while discouraging others from posting theirs.

Don't take this personal- but l think you the one who does not know what his talking about- how so you ask? By the following: You say l disparage other religions?- did you not read where l posted NO insults? By the way the Jews as a whole DO NOT accept the Man who died close to 2,000 years ago was the Messiah.That's a fact Jack.There is Nothing disparaging about that. 

Perhaps you failed to notice that -You are the one who has taken this thread a bridge too far by implicating Paul into the conversation. That was never the intent.l simply asked a question which you ignored - in future refrain from assuming! 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
    Dallas, Texas
    United States
    Member #4549
    May 2, 2004
    1831 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Don't take this personal- but l think you the one who does not know what his talking about- how so you ask? By the following: You say l disparage other religions?- did you not read where l posted NO insults? By the way the Jews as a whole DO NOT accept the Man who died close to 2,000 years ago was the Messiah.That's a fact Jack.There is Nothing disparaging about that. 

Perhaps you failed to notice that -You are the one who has taken this thread a bridge too far by implicating Paul into the conversation. That was never the intent.l simply asked a question which you ignored - in future refrain from assuming! 

I did not ignore your question read my reply again.

Now, you are the one pretending Christianity is something special. Its not. So you are disparaging other religions inasmuch as you show preference to your own. But claiming yours to be better does not make it so.

Jews do not believe Jesus was a messiah. Neither do the Buddhist, the Hindus, the Muslims. But you chose to use Jews in your example. Why?

ONLY the Christians profess him to be a messiah, meaning savior, which no other religions believes. Why not chose a religions completely outside the realm of the Jesus thing?

How does one claim the basis of religion founded by the Jews and then oppose what it says?

Yes, Jesus "was a MAN who died close to 2000 years ago."

No assumptions were made. You clearly want to preach your Jesus while pretending to make the question about the lottery. It shows in every post you've made in this thread.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4144 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:37 am - IP Logged

I did not ignore your question read my reply again.

Now, you are the one pretending Christianity is something special. Its not. So you are disparaging other religions inasmuch as you show preference to your own. But claiming yours to be better does not make it so.

Jews do not believe Jesus was a messiah. Neither do the Buddhist, the Hindus, the Muslims. But you chose to use Jews in your example. Why?

ONLY the Christians profess him to be a messiah, meaning savior, which no other religions believes. Why not chose a religions completely outside the realm of the Jesus thing?

How does one claim the basis of religion founded by the Jews and then oppose what it says?

Yes, Jesus "was a MAN who died close to 2000 years ago."

No assumptions were made. You clearly want to preach your Jesus while pretending to make the question about the lottery. It shows in every post you've made in this thread.

l read your reply- l was not promoting Christianity, l was speaking of the Lottery in harmony with people's beliefs, whatever they may be- are you thinking clearly? If you back pedal, you will see that the ONLY reason l brought the topic of the Jews into the equation was because l mentioned the Hindus. This is a Lottery Forum, Not a Christian Forum. Get over yourself Gary.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
        Kunming
        China
        Member #57910
        January 23, 2008
        3626 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I think that it has to do with one's internal and external forces. One's belief and one's timing is the main driver of whether you hit or not. People who believe in God hit the jackpot and so do Atheists, rapist, murderers, child abusers, homeless people, cheaters, etc. I think most of the time it has to do with being at the right time and the right place.

Play to win!

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1831 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:19 am - IP Logged

l read your reply- l was not promoting Christianity, l was speaking of the Lottery in harmony with people's beliefs, whatever they may be- are you thinking clearly? If you back pedal, you will see that the ONLY reason l brought the topic of the Jews into the equation was because l mentioned the Hindus. This is a Lottery Forum, Not a Christian Forum. Get over yourself Gary.

Apparently,  I'm thinking more clearly than you. The little nods you give to your religious preference is very clear in the way you compare it, the way you capitalize words which other religions would not and telling Fum??? a yes or no would be enough. If a yes or no is enough, make a poll. No discussion necessary.

Yes, this is a lottery forum.

So, as a Christian, your religion now says you owe me two apologies.

1) for stating I did not answer your question, which I clearly did;

2) (and you owe this to everyone) for bringing your personal religion and comparing it favorably to people who don't view it as the greatest thing ever in the history of the world. 

Is your response what your Jesus would do? Would he tell me to "get over myself?"

The biggest question you have to ask is not about lottery. The biggest question EVER about God, Jesus and the like is:

If Jesus took all your sins by dying on the cross, WHY AREN'T YOU IN HEAVEN?

Good night. Sleep well.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            554 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:33 am - IP Logged

l am covering all my bases by not simply speaking from a Christian POV. There are those who do not subscribe to the God of the bible. For instance Hindus consider their gods to be " higher powers". As l mentioned, no insults. I am not an idiot, l know what l am doing. For instance the Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Son of God. So your question is in many ways Moot.Play along or take your toys and go sit in the corner. 

Fair enough.

However if you want to consider the Hindu Pantheon, I think you will stir up a lot of controversy considering that some Hindus may pray to Krishna, for a lottery win,

while other pray to Vishnu, for a lottery, win, others might pray to Ganesh for a lottery win. 

So which Hindu god has the "higher power"?

Me personally?  Of course I think God has something to do with it.  I cant judge others, muderers, pedophiles etc. right to win.  All I can do is pray that they use the 

money and power wisely, for good and not evil.

When it comes to God, I dont think you can "think" there is a higher power.  You have to "know" there is a higher power.  God helps those who pray knowingly, more 

so then those who pray thinkingly.

Yes you are right.  I suppose my question could be considered moot.  I will take my tin kitty toys and go sit in the corner. 

Is there a "Higher Power" with me in that corner?

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4144 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Apparently,  I'm thinking more clearly than you. The little nods you give to your religious preference is very clear in the way you compare it, the way you capitalize words which other religions would not and telling Fum??? a yes or no would be enough. If a yes or no is enough, make a poll. No discussion necessary.

Yes, this is a lottery forum.

So, as a Christian, your religion now says you owe me two apologies.

1) for stating I did not answer your question, which I clearly did;

2) (and you owe this to everyone) for bringing your personal religion and comparing it favorably to people who don't view it as the greatest thing ever in the history of the world. 

Is your response what your Jesus would do? Would he tell me to "get over myself?"

The biggest question you have to ask is not about lottery. The biggest question EVER about God, Jesus and the like is:

If Jesus took all your sins by dying on the cross, WHY AREN'T YOU IN HEAVEN?

Good night. Sleep well.

l want to say you an Idiot- but l wont. If you looking for an apology, pick up a dictionary and look under " A". By the way l Capitalized Christian, Hindus, Jews and last but not least Gary.

You seem to have a Problem with Jesus. l do not know why nor do l really care because by simply reading your last response, one can tell that you have your very own demons you still doing battle with.

What's with the " Why aren't you in heaven?  How do you know l am NOT  communicating with you from heaven?... as l mentioned earlier- you assume much.

Goodnight Gary.

ElinaSammy2081's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                Bronx, NY
                United States
                Member #164554
                March 6, 2015
                1221 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2015, 2:28 am - IP Logged

.....Folks winning the lottery? If you are an Atheist, what be your thoughts on the matter- pure luck, coincidence or what?

* Please NO insults- Thanks in advance. 

Yes, if it's in your destiny regardless of your sins or your beliefs if it's meant to be it will be true, some people are money magnets and others repel money. Some pray for a jackpot and get it and others trust their instincts or gut feelings, it all depends on the person and their beliefs.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3315 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2015, 3:06 am - IP Logged

if any gods are involved with me, its the mischeivious  greek style, you know the ones that will hacve my winning numbers, the day i dont play em. or 1 number off of ea. winning number. or a  gust of wind  snatches the winning ticket from my hand outside the lotto office, and i run under a bus chasing it. that sort of god

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                    Member #165244
                    March 30, 2015
                    229 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2015, 5:42 am - IP Logged

So when people who do win say that " Thank you God" what exactly are they saying? How about those winners who say they going to contribute mightily to their Church or place of Worship? Are they delusional in thinking that the Creator has something to do with their win?

A Yes or No answer would suffice Funtimz.

I was answering from the viewpoint that there are many "gods" that are worshipped because there are so many religions. From my beliefs God condemns gambling or detests practices that promote a superstition in luck. And gambling encourages a blind trust in so called lady-luck. It then promotes a love for money which the bible warns is "a root for all sort of injurious things", 1 Timothy 6:10.

So this is why according to my beliefs, God has nothing to do with one winning the lottery. Sure ones who have won and believe it is because of god, will donate some money to their churches and churches love this so of course they will gladly accept it.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
                      Member #146028
                      August 22, 2013
                      848 Posts
                      Posted: August 11, 2015, 6:50 am - IP Logged

Well, I had to dig up the notes in a Notepad document I had saved from a discussion I had a couple of yrs. back with an online friend, but the Bible warns against loving money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5) and it also warns about trying to get rich quick (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10).  I don't think the Bible specifically mentions "gambling" but there are some instances in the Bible where it specifically refers to "casting lots" to divide up land, to choose between the sacrificial goat and the scapegoat and also when Nehemiah cast lots to see who would live within the walls of Jerusalem.  The disciples cast lots to see who would replace Judas, as well.   

Proverbs 16:33 says, “The lot is cast in the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.” I know many Christians believe in predestination and if that's the case, then God has already determined whether you'll win or not....and if He allows you to win, then how can you say He is against gambling? (Of course, He allows many things to happen that are against His will -  that's one of the reasons my own beliefs have changed.  I now consider myself an "optimistic agnostic".)

Personally, I think gambling is like many other things we should do in moderation, no matter if you're religious or not.  To me, it's a "sin" for someone to spend money on...say, booze...when their children are going without basic needs.  I've seen people struggle with their rent just because they were making a payment on a luxury automobile.  I've seen couples have trouble making ends meet because either the wife or the husband refused to give up things they insist they "need", be it the husband's weekly poker night with the boys or the wife's regular visit to the nail salon, or thinking their kids have to have $200 sneakers because the other kids have them too.   I think the lottery is one of those things that should be the last items in a budget;  if you can afford to play and it doesn't deprive your family, then have at it.

You can't always get what you want
                      But if you try sometime you just might find
                      You get what you need

- The Rolling Stones

If your intentions allow you to be a witness for Almighty God and you include him in your overall plan as opposed to excluding him you can rest assured it's not even to be considered gambling anymore because you know you're going to win !

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #150797
                        December 31, 2013
                        821 Posts
                        Posted: August 11, 2015, 7:06 am - IP Logged

I think the higher power (which I personally call God), invented randomness to do the work of deciding who wins and who loses.  Note that randomness is completely non-judgemental -- you don't win because you are a good person and you "deserve" it, you win because you were in the right place at the right time.  There is no list of deserving people for which a future lottery win has been reserved.

BTW, I don't usually participate in religious arguments, but I have learned some interesting things from this thread.  Thanks!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                          Athens
                          Greece
                          Member #133234
                          September 24, 2012
                          192 Posts
                          Posted: August 11, 2015, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I believe so but, that's just me.

I never judged anyone though or discriminate... My best friend is from Texas and he is an Atheist; when I was living in Raleigh, NC, my roommate's girlfriend broke up with him when she found out that he was an Atheist; I still don't get it.

I don't judge people by what they believe; I only see human beings just like me with different 'minds'.

Y' all take care now folks.

6/49 dis(assembly)

MrLeRoy's avatar - nw rogue.jpg

Canada
                            Member #152924
                            March 1, 2014
                            129 Posts
                            Posted: August 11, 2015, 10:09 am - IP Logged

I am a Christian and i think that God has nothing to do with this...HE gave us FREE WILL...we do whatever we want ! and no, gambling is not a sin, if it is, therefore we are doomed, cause every minute we sin in our doings, sayings or thinking !

Besides, we are all gods !

nods's avatar - animated sphere.gif
                              kansas city, missouri
                              United States
                              Member #100707
                              November 17, 2010
                              113 Posts
                              Posted: August 11, 2015, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Clownall i want is for god or something or someone to show up, just to prove that there is.

Page 2 of 10