Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My husband's brother won the lottery but hasn't offered to help us out.

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 1 year ago by kandi49.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winner help his brother?

Yes, he should help his brother. [ 22 ]  [23.16%]
No, he can do what he wants with his money. [ 52 ]  [54.74%]
Maybe he did offer help. [ 9 ]  [9.47%]
Other. [ 12 ]  [12.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 95 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2015, 10:52 am - IP Logged

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2015/08/dear_prudence_my_brother_in_law_won_the_lottery_but_won_t_help_us_out.html

This question was posed to Prudence last week. A lot of the comments are condemning the brother who won the lottery. Do you agree? Do you think the lottery winner should help his brother since they are so close?

I actually thought that maybe the lottery winner did try to help his brother but maybe his brother refused the help. And honestly, I think the wife should probably let her husband handle the situation if he needs help.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    556 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2015, 11:00 am - IP Logged

It's been 5 years since the brother won.  The lady should buy her own lottery tickets for a win.  She doesn't know what her husband and his brother discuss--so she needs to start playing.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1534 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2015, 11:08 am - IP Logged

This is the thing that is destorying the united states, GREED.  I would help my family and still live a comfortable life.  Family comes first before any multi-million dollar vacation homes.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2015, 11:09 am - IP Logged

The brothers are still close after 5 years, so apparently they have worked it out between them.  The wife needs to stay out of it.

That said, it is strange that the winner didn't give little bro at least a little money.  Or maybe he did and little bro is hiding it till he can break from the wife.  LOL

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
          nc
          United States
          Member #99520
          October 26, 2010
          375 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2015, 11:33 am - IP Logged

OR peraps the brother turned down the offer of money, preferring to pay his own way.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            556 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2015, 11:58 am - IP Logged

The brothers are still close after 5 years, so apparently they have worked it out between them.  The wife needs to stay out of it.

That said, it is strange that the winner didn't give little bro at least a little money.  Or maybe he did and little bro is hiding it till he can break from the wife.  LOL

I Agree!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4111 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2015, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

Personally,  l find this story extremely difficult to believe. Not saying it's a lie, just doesn't seem normal. How can they be close without either one asking" so how are you and the family doing? "

..Sorry l don't buy it. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2015, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Sounds likes a greedy wife that's is more interested in the wealth of his in-laws than her husband is.  If she wants to live off the wealth of another man maybe she should divorce her husband and look for wealthier one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1534 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I agree with noise-gate, and also, the brother may have helpped, but may-be not enough to make a difference in the brother's life.  I would have made sure instead of having two multi-million dollar vacation homes.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2659 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Type wouldn't surprise me

but then I believe shes got a case of the green eyed monster and they're probably living beyond thar  humble means

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Personally,  l find this story extremely difficult to believe. Not saying it's a lie, just doesn't seem normal. How can they be close without either one asking" so how are you and the family doing? "

..Sorry l don't buy it. 

The fact is these guys been brothers all their lives and before the one won the lottery and the other businesses failed did such questions ever come up, if not why should they come up now that their positions in life are switched.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                        TX
                        United States
                        Member #121193
                        January 4, 2012
                        1637 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

There are a few details missing to the article that would be a bit more helpful in making a reasonable reply. I do like Prudence's reply about asking.............. If I had that kind of relationship and going through the hard times as siblings, I personally would make darn sure that my brother got $10 million after taxes. I hope the wife doesn't find out that the brother gave her hubby $$ towards the business that failed without her knowing(some scenario similar to that) 

Just my 2 cents

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                          Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1522 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I suggest that she should recommend to her brother in law that he talk with his accountant before making any irreversible gifts. His accountant will know tax laws and how much he can gift another person. Then the brother in law will need to consult with his Certified Financial Planner CFP  and see how this gift will change his plans.

This decision will have to be rational and not emotional. 

Thank You "That Scary Chick" for this thread.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

grwurston's avatar - 144
                            Let's Go Rangers!!!
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            4879 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2015, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I suggest that she should recommend to her brother in law that he talk with his accountant before making any irreversible gifts. His accountant will know tax laws and how much he can gift another person. Then the brother in law will need to consult with his Certified Financial Planner CFP  and see how this gift will change his plans.

This decision will have to be rational and not emotional. 

Thank You "That Scary Chick" for this thread.

We are only hearing one side of the story. Perhaps the rich brother financed the business when he was first starting out. Or maybe the rich brother had asked for help when he was down and out and was turned down. Possibly the rich brother is quite a gambler and the other brother is totally against it for some reason, and would never ask for, or accept, any money that was gained in such a fashion.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5124 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2015, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Sounds likes a greedy wife that's is more interested in the wealth of his in-laws than her husband is.  If she wants to live off the wealth of another man maybe she should divorce her husband and look for wealthier one.

R:

U may B onto somoum U ole owl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL    Maby D brothers R planning 2 tick off D wife so much she will DIVORCE the pur one brother and

git nuttin in her settlement<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ROFL   Then D rich brother can give a lotta money 2 the pur little pur brother and he can sit on D money

and guard it from the rich brothers "WIFE" $$$$$$$$        Is D rich brother married.........?  Don't any of U LP members worry bout finantional manalement

when you know U have a friend like Psyko when U hit D BIG WON cause Psyko can connect U up to a great offshoe bank. This bank actually floats and will

make sure no one can drain UR money away>>>>>>Cool     Always look'n forward 2 hear'n from the next $500 million jackpot winner like "YOU" $$$$$$$$

Dance      Thinking of...      Dance

Don't worry Psyko is UR protractor