Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My husband's brother won the lottery but hasn't offered to help us out.

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 1 year ago by kandi49.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winner help his brother?

Yes, he should help his brother. [ 22 ]  [23.16%]
No, he can do what he wants with his money. [ 52 ]  [54.74%]
Maybe he did offer help. [ 9 ]  [9.47%]
Other. [ 12 ]  [12.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 95 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1203 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2015, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmm. I read about many Lotto winners saying "The worst thing was helping ONE and then the others said "What about me or us?"

Most of them say "Don't do it" because it's never enough.  But, does it depend on how much they won or does it get down to the individual?

I just know that GUILT would drive me nuts if I didn't help my Bro and my Parents - they've helped me when I needed it.  Karma, anyone?

I just know that when I die, I'd rather they say "He was generous when luck found him", instead of "Greedy - he was just greedy."

Just my .02 cents.

Remember the saying "money doesn't change you, it changes everyone around you". When you come into a lot of money, be prepared that someone is going to call you greedy for not giving them what they want all the time. Greedy and cheap is what you'll be called. If you can't accept that, maybe not yet winning has been a Godsend for you. There are far too many broke-but-used-to-be-a-millionaire people walking around today, who have nothing because they didn't want to be labeled as stingy, or greedy or cheap. 

Ryan Reynolds just cut off all ties from a close friend he'd had for the last 25 years. This friend tried to sell pictures of Reynolds' newborn baby because Reynolds had stopped giving him money. 

Frankly, I'd much rather be falsely accused of being greedy than correctly being labeled a fool. All those riches to rags stories share the same issue in that they helped out a lot of people financially and when they lost their money those people they helped were no where to be found and then they're labeled as idiots because they lost al that money.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: September 23, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Greedy and cheap is what you'll be called. If you can't accept that, maybe not yet winning has been a Godsend for you. There are far too many broke-but-used-to-be-a-millionaire people walking around today, who have nothing because they didn't want to be labeled as stingy, or greedy or cheap. 

Yep, you're probably right Teddi, that if I had won when I was in my 20's I'd probably be broke now because most of my self-worth relied on what others thought of me.  I've always been good with money, but I let a lot of people manipulate me into a lot of stuff.

Someone who comes into a lot of money certainly needs to have enough self esteem to be comfortable saying "no".  They have to be able to see that people calling them stingy or greedy are using emotional manipulation to get them to hand over their money.  They need to realize that it's their right to do whatever they want with their money and if anyone wants to judge them on the way they spend money (or not spend it) the other person is in the wrong.  They CERTAINLY don't need that person's approval, and they are probably better off without that person in their life.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1549 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2015, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Where will your fair weather friends be when you need them ?  Your genuine friends are few and rare gems.

I am learning from athletes who could not say,"NO". 

Even the Bible says,"There is one who is closer then a brother."  That is one and not many.

Coffee

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
        Rochester
        United States
        Member #103282
        January 1, 2011
        606 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2015, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Not all families are close  It's the choice of the winner how and what he does with his money.

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1549 Posts
          Posted: October 13, 2015, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

ThatScaryChick   Congratulations to you for having a six-page Lottery Discussion. With 79 replies and 10,795 views. 

Good Luck to all LP Members !!

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19894 Posts
            Posted: October 13, 2015, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a thread "My neighbor won the lottery but hasn't offered to help any of us neighbors". 

For a while threads about "How much is appropriate to give the clerks at the store where you brought your winning ticket" were popular.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

kandi49's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
              georgetown sc
              United States
              Member #112488
              June 20, 2011
              3918 Posts
              Posted: October 13, 2015, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

the answer to the million dollar question is if the two brothers r in good standard the h with what anyone think r say Yes Nod