Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My husband's brother won the lottery but hasn't offered to help us out.

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 1 year ago by kandi49.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winner help his brother?

Yes, he should help his brother. [ 22 ]  [23.16%]
No, he can do what he wants with his money. [ 52 ]  [54.74%]
Maybe he did offer help. [ 9 ]  [9.47%]
Other. [ 12 ]  [12.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 95 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Personally,  l find this story extremely difficult to believe. Not saying it's a lie, just doesn't seem normal. How can they be close without either one asking" so how are you and the family doing? "

..Sorry l don't buy it. 

The husband seems okay with working two jobs to take care of his bills. That's what responsible men do. It's the wife that seems to want the "help." It's unmanly to beg when you can work and earn. I just hope she won't ruin the brothers relationship

That money's gone fo ever

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2015, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

The husband seems okay with working two jobs to take care of his bills. That's what responsible men do. It's the wife that seems to want the "help." It's unmanly to beg when you can work and earn. I just hope she won't ruin the brothers relationship

l understand what you saying, but this story is all Wrong. I mean just take a serious look at a third of the opening lines. Brothers orphaned, brothers moved around through foster care,  living with various family members. Having lived through those times, you mean to tell me those experiences would not resonate with the more fortunate brother? We are asked to believe that these two are still  close and your brother is literally struggling to keep his  head above water while you go about buying this and that, what kind of a brother are you? We are led to believe that the brother with the money has never given his struggling sibling any money, unless the sister in law conveniently left that piece of information out. Is it possible that the brother was given a tidy sum and made bad investment decisions & the wealthier brother needs to the tree that keeps giving?  They did not have a falling out according to the sister in law....they " close".

The sister in law is a question mark in so many ways.Sorry, can't buy this story as it's presented. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2015, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

l understand what you saying, but this story is all Wrong. I mean just take a serious look at a third of the opening lines. Brothers orphaned, brothers moved around through foster care,  living with various family members. Having lived through those times, you mean to tell me those experiences would not resonate with the more fortunate brother? We are asked to believe that these two are still  close and your brother is literally struggling to keep his  head above water while you go about buying this and that, what kind of a brother are you? We are led to believe that the brother with the money has never given his struggling sibling any money, unless the sister in law conveniently left that piece of information out. Is it possible that the brother was given a tidy sum and made bad investment decisions & the wealthier brother needs to the tree that keeps giving?  They did not have a falling out according to the sister in law....they " close".

The sister in law is a question mark in so many ways.Sorry, can't buy this story as it's presented. 

What don't you see it happening? That two brothers can be cool when one has millions and the other is working? I see it happen all the time. Some people will not take charity. Now if the struggling brother was sick and couldn't afford treatment or homeless then I'd feel different about fortunate brother not helping.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4146 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2015, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

What don't you see it happening? That two brothers can be cool when one has millions and the other is working? I see it happen all the time. Some people will not take charity. Now if the struggling brother was sick and couldn't afford treatment or homeless then I'd feel different about fortunate brother not helping.

I posted what my opinion is, that's all. The scenario presented is wacky. There is no way a wealthy Brother will observe a family member struggle as this woman presents it and do nothing.  If you were a lottery winner and you had a sibling that was hooked on drugs and you had it within your power to get that person into rehab, you don't stand idle by and say " how about dropping one or two of your drugs and hopefully you will turn the corner." Like l said, it's possible the brother did give him a portion but since he blew his stash, he may also be reluctant to ask for another gift.

Once again- an opinion. Approve

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
          Member #9517
          December 10, 2004
          1280 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2015, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Hypotetically: If the family of the winner know his brother and wife just will waste away the money, perhaps they do not want to give it away.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2015, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

The brothers are still close after 5 years, so apparently they have worked it out between them.  The wife needs to stay out of it.

That said, it is strange that the winner didn't give little bro at least a little money.  Or maybe he did and little bro is hiding it till he can break from the wife.  LOL

You could be right.  She's whining about money even though her husband is working two jobs to support her lazy behind, maybe she should get off it and get a job to help him.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2015, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

You could be right.  She's whining about money even though her husband is working two jobs to support her lazy behind, maybe she should get off it and get a job to help him.

The story says nothing about her being unemployed, for all we know she could be working two jobs as well. What she did say was "   I think he should help his brother out."  Maybe she does not have a " lazy behind" as you put it RJ.

Image result for lazy but talented.... maybe not!

Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2015, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

She says 

" What I don’t understand is how he can stand to see his little brother so stressed and working so hard while he has more money than he could spend in a dozen lifetimes. "

She doesn't indicate anywhere that her husband is unable to work. Anybody here who works will tell you stress and working hard is normal part of life.  That last line about "dozen lifetimes" betrays her real intentions. She wants that money for no other reason than the fact that she feels her brother in law has too much of it. 

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4146 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

She says 

" What I don’t understand is how he can stand to see his little brother so stressed and working so hard while he has more money than he could spend in a dozen lifetimes. "

She doesn't indicate anywhere that her husband is unable to work. Anybody here who works will tell you stress and working hard is normal part of life.  That last line about "dozen lifetimes" betrays her real intentions. She wants that money for no other reason than the fact that she feels her brother in law has too much of it. 

That's just frustration, envy, jealousy, talking out loud because its a " You have what l don't have " situation.

l mean come on $50 mil is not enough to spend in a dozen lifetimes unless one lived as a hermit like Ted Kaczynski, the convicted "Unabomber,"  in his infamous.....

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Personally,  l find this story extremely difficult to believe. Not saying it's a lie, just doesn't seem normal. How can they be close without either one asking" so how are you and the family doing? "

..Sorry l don't buy it. 

I Agree!

I was playing a pick-4 system that boxed five combos and hit one of them. A co-worker told me how he would play one of the other boxed combos straight, it hit about 4 months later, and his wife told me I owed him a cut because "he gave me the number". Had I given him a cut and later he won a large jackpot, should I expect a cut from his win too?

This story isn't about the brother believing he is entitled to some of his brother's winnings, but about a sister-in-law. It's either a bogus story or the rich brother is waiting for his younger brother to divorce his greedy wife and then give him "a nice cut".

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4146 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I was playing a pick-4 system that boxed five combos and hit one of them. A co-worker told me how he would play one of the other boxed combos straight, it hit about 4 months later, and his wife told me I owed him a cut because "he gave me the number". Had I given him a cut and later he won a large jackpot, should I expect a cut from his win too?

This story isn't about the brother believing he is entitled to some of his brother's winnings, but about a sister-in-law. It's either a bogus story or the rich brother is waiting for his younger brother to divorce his greedy wife and then give him "a nice cut".

Well Stack, if this couple is from the Bible Belt, stay tuned. l read where that section of the country has the highest divorce rate in the Nation.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19901 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

The story says nothing about her being unemployed, for all we know she could be working two jobs as well. What she did say was "   I think he should help his brother out."  Maybe she does not have a " lazy behind" as you put it RJ.

Image result for lazy but talented.... maybe not!

Any grown healthy person who thinks their in-laws should be supporting them financially is lazy or greedy or both period.  I can't think of them any other way.

Evil Looking       

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                          JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                          Member #141034
                          April 2, 2013
                          1419 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I know a girl whose mom won millions in the lottery. The last time I saw her, she was still working at a gas station. She told me that her mom will not give her or her brother any money because she does not like how their spouses "blow through money". This left me scratching my head, wondering which came first, the chicken or the egg. She said the mom now travels frequently to Vegas, Hawaii and the Carribean with different men. Yikes!!!.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19901 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I know a girl whose mom won millions in the lottery. The last time I saw her, she was still working at a gas station. She told me that her mom will not give her or her brother any money because she does not like how their spouses "blow through money". This left me scratching my head, wondering which came first, the chicken or the egg. She said the mom now travels frequently to Vegas, Hawaii and the Carribean with different men. Yikes!!!.

Did she tell you because you asked as a friend of did she just want you as a customer to know her personal business?

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4146 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2015, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

If you knew that your kids spouses did not see the value of money and had the " spend, spend spend " attitude, you better believe that they would be pigs at your trough asking for handouts on a pretty regular basis if you were a lottery winner. My Father once told me this "You cannot help being born into the family you now have- BUT you sure as heck can make sure you know beforehand the family you intend to marry into. "

As for the Mother travelling to Vegas etc etc- well its her money for one. Two, she doesn't have to worry about the " blow through money" crowd tagging along. If her current partner/partners are blow through money characters, at least his/they are only one extra hungry mouth to feed at a time.