Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My husband's brother won the lottery but hasn't offered to help us out.

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 1 year ago by kandi49.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winner help his brother?

Yes, he should help his brother. [ 22 ]  [23.16%]
No, he can do what he wants with his money. [ 52 ]  [54.74%]
Maybe he did offer help. [ 9 ]  [9.47%]
Other. [ 12 ]  [12.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 95 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: September 4, 2015, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

The article doesn't say whether or not the brothers are close. Maybe they are not. It does say they are close in age.

The wife wrote:  "He and my husband have a good relationship and speak often."

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
    JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
    Member #141034
    April 2, 2013
    1408 Posts
    Posted: September 5, 2015, 3:15 am - IP Logged

This entitlement mentality is making some people lose perspective of what true reality is.  It is his money, not your money. He won the money, you did not. It's up to him, not you to decide who gets a handout. Entitlement mentality is destroying our ability to reason objectively. If the roles were reversed, would she be handing this individual $hitload of money? Some peoples kids!!!.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

United States
      Member #164725
      March 12, 2015
      341 Posts
      Posted: September 5, 2015, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Stories like these tend to be fake. An editor assigns a writer to compose something provocative.  It can backfire, too. I had an acquaintance who wrote an article which I knew wasnt true but was then picked up by the media and numerous websites resulting in her being called everything under the sun and death threats.  LOL

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
        Member #158848
        September 5, 2014
        294 Posts
        Posted: September 5, 2015, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

The article may indeed be phony. If genuine, I agree with those who say the wife is the greediest one. Her husband may have already gotten some money that he isn't telling her about.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Maine
          United States
          Member #99
          January 27, 2002
          1013 Posts
          Posted: September 12, 2015, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend who won $5 million and gets a check for @ $180,000 for 20 years. He used to say "If I you see a limo pull up to your door..you'll know I won the lottery". Well, I never saw a limo. Buys himself a new $80k suv every couple of years, paid off his house and his son's and has everything new and just so. I get offered his hand me down stuff when he updates. He's still the cheap guy he always was and is reluctant to buy when we go out to eat. I've got another friend who inherited a lot of money. One of the assets was a building in NYC that sold for more than $40mil. He was always a cheap guy obsessed with money and still is. My point is that people don't change. I'm not struggling but if either one of these guys had given me $10,000 and said "have a little fun like we always used to talk about or do whatever with the money" I would have been very happy. I would have done that for them ...we even talked about it! But no, I guess people never change. God bless the child who's got his own!

If it wasn't impossible I wouldn't even consider it!

Goseahawks's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            seattle
            United States
            Member #152111
            February 5, 2014
            1308 Posts
            Posted: September 13, 2015, 12:47 am - IP Logged

do u have a system that work in idaho....if its ok, would u share it with me for washington st, since we are neighbors..thks,,,goseahawks

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
              Texas
              United States
              Member #150797
              December 31, 2013
              815 Posts
              Posted: September 13, 2015, 7:16 am - IP Logged

This entitlement mentality is making some people lose perspective of what true reality is.  It is his money, not your money. He won the money, you did not. It's up to him, not you to decide who gets a handout. Entitlement mentality is destroying our ability to reason objectively. If the roles were reversed, would she be handing this individual $hitload of money? Some peoples kids!!!.

I Agree!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: September 19, 2015, 8:17 am - IP Logged

What does she mean by "help us out"?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19824 Posts
                  Posted: September 19, 2015, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend who won $5 million and gets a check for @ $180,000 for 20 years. He used to say "If I you see a limo pull up to your door..you'll know I won the lottery". Well, I never saw a limo. Buys himself a new $80k suv every couple of years, paid off his house and his son's and has everything new and just so. I get offered his hand me down stuff when he updates. He's still the cheap guy he always was and is reluctant to buy when we go out to eat. I've got another friend who inherited a lot of money. One of the assets was a building in NYC that sold for more than $40mil. He was always a cheap guy obsessed with money and still is. My point is that people don't change. I'm not struggling but if either one of these guys had given me $10,000 and said "have a little fun like we always used to talk about or do whatever with the money" I would have been very happy. I would have done that for them ...we even talked about it! But no, I guess people never change. God bless the child who's got his own!

"I would have done that for them ...we even talked about it!"

You've learned a lesson, never tell you friends if you ever get a large sum of money you will give them some because you won't.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Albuquerque, New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #3837
                    February 24, 2004
                    20 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2015, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

You have the opportunity to buy a ticket and win just like your brother did.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Party

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: September 19, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

You have the opportunity to buy a ticket and win just like your brother did.

Yep, if a good friend or close relative is at least buying tickets, I'd consider giving them some.  But if they expect me to fork it over without them ever investing a dollar into a win of their own to share with ME, I can't foresee wanting to share mine with them.

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: September 20, 2015, 4:24 am - IP Logged

That's an ignorant thing to say.  Do you REALLY think a lottery winner will be able to keep the news a secret from their family? Good grief.

At least the winners should get the choice, if they would like to tell family members about their good fortune. Publishing the name of the winners for the whole country to know is very dangerous.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1182 Posts
                          Posted: September 20, 2015, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

"Do you REALLY think a lottery winner will be able to keep the news a secret from their family?"

Depends on how close you are to your family. 

If Warren Buffett's children could be duped enough that they didn't know their parents were multi-billionaires until they were older, I don't see any reason why a lottery winner wouldn't be able to keep that secret to him or her self. If the lotteries were anonymous, all a person would have to do is allude to a windfall to explain away an influx of money. Depending on the family's closeness the winner could allude to stocks, an inheritance, investments, lawsuit win...it's very possible to keep it a secret from family if you're motivated enough.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: September 21, 2015, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I know this was something seen on Dear Prudence but I was thinking by now there would have been an update: My ex-husband's brother won the lottery but hasn't offered to help us out.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Dallas,TX
                              United States
                              Member #152930
                              March 1, 2014
                              40 Posts
                              Posted: September 22, 2015, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmm. I read about many Lotto winners saying "The worst thing was helping ONE and then the others said "What about me or us?"

Most of them say "Don't do it" because it's never enough.  But, does it depend on how much they won or does it get down to the individual?

I just know that GUILT would drive me nuts if I didn't help my Bro and my Parents - they've helped me when I needed it.  Karma, anyone?

I just know that when I die, I'd rather they say "He was generous when luck found him", instead of "Greedy - he was just greedy."

Just my .02 cents.

"People who have never created Progress only see one word - Impossible." 

"People who create Progress see TWO words - "Im Possible". TWO Smash one."