Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do lottery jackpot winners win? LUCK or FATE?

Topic closed. 103 replies. Last post 3 months ago by bobby623.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
877 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2016, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Think about it..... Why do lottery jackpot winners win?

If you read the "winners stories" in Mega Millions, Powerball or on your local state's lottery page, you will see a lot of stories of how and/or why those winners won.

I went for gas and has $2 change so I bought a ticket.

I asked for Mega and the person gave me a Powerball ticket by mistake.

I wasn't going to play, but I decided at the last moment to buy a ticket.

I have played the same numbers for 10 years and they finally came in.

I played my family birthday numbers.

I played my fortune cookie numbers.

The stories are endless, but they all tell the tale of a jackpot winner.

Is it LUCK or FATE?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4106 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Chance 100%. Ponder this for a moment.  Was Abraham Shakespeare destined to win the lottery,  if you say Yes.How about his murder?  Was David Lee Edwards destined to win- how about him ending up in a trailer a broken & penniless man who left nothing for his daughter? The pedophile from FL winning, to what end? The list can go off into other directions as well. Children battling cancer, was it meant to be?  I think not. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
      Nova Scotia
      Canada
      Member #9934
      December 27, 2004
      884 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I think that it is both luck and fate if a person win's the lottery. If a person is supposed to win, then they will!

Sad Cheers  Disney

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1244 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Luck:  Things that happen to a person because of chance.

Fate:  The future that someone will have.

Fate is preordained while luck is not.  I believe its pure luck.  Being in the right place at the right time with the right numbers.

Never give up.  Banana

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3701 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:24 am - IP Logged

If you read the "winners stories" in Mega Millions, Powerball or on your local state's lottery page, you will see a lot of stories of how and/or why those winners won.

Is it LUCK or FATE?

I think it's a combination of both luck and fate.

One of the quotes in your post describes something that I think is key, and that's persistence.  How many times have you read a quote by a winner that basically says; "I've played the lottery for years but I only won small prizes."?   That's my story.  That's everybody's story. G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
            Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            877 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Which is it...You purchase a ticket with numbers that will match those that are drawn (since all tickets have the same chance) or the numbers that are drawn match the numbers on the ticket you purchased?

Without knowing the winning numbers for the next drawing, you unwittingly are walking around with a ticket in your wallet that will be worth millions of dollars in a couple of days.

Nothing you do can change the fact that you will win.

Kinda like putting the horse before the cart or the cart before the horse.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Green Bay
              United States
              Member #169391
              October 15, 2015
              1244 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Which is it...You purchase a ticket with numbers that will match those that are drawn (since all tickets have the same chance) or the numbers that are drawn match the numbers on the ticket you purchased?

Without knowing the winning numbers for the next drawing, you unwittingly are walking around with a ticket in your wallet that will be worth millions of dollars in a couple of days.

In that case it would be fate since the numbers drawn would match the numbers on your ticket meaning you were destine to win no matter what numbers you had.  LOL!  This is turning into a real mind teaser.

Never give up.  Banana

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1272 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Pure luck, nothing else.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10350 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2016, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I agree with MillionsWanted, pure luck.  Lep

Right place, right time, right number regardless of how they were selected. 

Kurt Vonnegut used this phrase;

That moment in time was structured that way.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2016, 11:19 am - IP Logged

You missing the point Meatman : Bottom line,  someone has to win. It does not matter how many tickets you purchase, the minute the ping pong balls start spinning- it's anyone's game. Fate has nothing to do with it. It's ALL about the Spin!  And the Spin cannot be controlled- period.  Fate be darned. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19782 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2016, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Is it LUCK or FATE?

Good Topic: I Think it is neither LUCK or FATE ...Winning the Lottery would be a BLESSING!!Blue Angel

Good Luck peoples Dance

Let it Snow Snowman

Green Bay
                        United States
                        Member #169391
                        October 15, 2015
                        1244 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2016, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Good Topic: I Think it is neither LUCK or FATE ...Winning the Lottery would be a BLESSING!!Blue Angel

Good Luck peoples Dance

Not so sure of that helpmewin... Tell that to Abraham Shakespeare.

Never give up.  Banana

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                          Member #164727
                          March 12, 2015
                          2517 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2016, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Luck:  Things that happen to a person because of chance.

Fate:  The future that someone will have.

Fate is preordained while luck is not.  I believe its pure luck.  Being in the right place at the right time with the right numbers.

I don't believe in fate. If fate exists, then it doesn't matter what I do with my life, good or bad, right?

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4106 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2016, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Good Luck peoples Dance

Tell that to Jack Whittaker,  did l not read that he regretted ever winning after losing his grand daughter to drugs & blaming his win on his divorce etc?

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4106 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2016, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe in fate. If fate exists, then it doesn't matter what I do with my life, good or bad, right?

Neither do I. If it existed it would mean that life in general is...Rigged.