Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do lottery jackpot winners win? LUCK or FATE?

Topic closed. 103 replies. Last post 3 months ago by bobby623.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
877 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2016, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Take for instance the Robinsons in TN. John wasn't feeling well and wasn't going to stop and buy tickets for the $1.6 Bil Powerball drawing. His wife Lisa called and reminded him to stop and get tickets. He does stop and buys just 4 $2 tickets. They win a 1/3 share of lottery history jackpot.

Did it matter where he bought the tickets? If the woman in front of him didn't move when she did or the employee hit the button one second before or after she did, would they still have won? There are just too many variables to mention.

Why does it matter where or when you buy your tickets?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Brooklyn, NY
    United States
    Member #169723
    October 29, 2015
    877 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Tell that to Jack Whittaker,  did l not read that he regretted ever winning after losing his grand daughter to drugs & blaming his win on his divorce etc?

Jack Whittaker did not use his money wisely. He tried to buy his Grand-daughter with money and all she did was buy drugs that she ended up taking her life with.

I know he was already a millionaire. What changed in him to do the things he did with the lottery money as opposed to the money he already had?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      877 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2016, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

As the saying goes...Good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster.

I guess this is why we hear more about the bad that has come from people winning and then losing lottery fortunes and not as much about people who have won and live "happily ever after". Those are the ones that claimed as a trust, changed their address and phone number and live a low key life without attracting attention.

The Meatman

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4107 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2016, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker did not use his money wisely. He tried to buy his Grand-daughter with money and all she did was buy drugs that she ended up taking her life with.

I know he was already a millionaire. What changed in him to do the things he did with the lottery money as opposed to the money he already had?

Your Thread Is Asking us To decide Whether It's" Luck or Fate." I can only speak for myself by saying Fate has nothing to do with it. If fate chose Jack, did it foresee the mess that would follow? How about Abraham Shakespeare?  Does one get chosen because....what? I refuse to believe that my life is already planned,  the choices l make in life are mine & mine alone whether for good or bad. If one is going to talk about fate with regard to the lottery- you will have to expand it to encompass much more than that. Was Lincoln destined to be assainated,  was the Challenger disaster meant to happen- see my point?

Edna Mode did say " Luck   favors the prepared "..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3047 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2016, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing the lotto for almost 20 years and I can tell you it is luck whoever wins.-weshar75

US Flag

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4866 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2016, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Interesting topic. I suppose it all depends on the situation and your perspective. Let's say you over sleep and are running late for work. You need to punch in by 7:00.  Every traffic light you come to on your route is green and you punch in at 6:59. You may say, I was lucky to get here on time. Which is good luck.

Same situation. On your way to work, you are hitting all the green lights and then you get a flat tire and are 20 minutes late. You may say, I got a flat tire and I was late for work and now the boss is mad at me. This is bad luck.

Same situation again. You are changing your flat tire, cussing your bad luck, and you say to yourself screw it, I'm already late. I might as well get my lottery tickets now and save myself a trip on the way home. As you walk out of the 7/11 with your soon to be winning tickets, you here a loud boom off in the distance. You arrive at work at 7:20, only to discover a gas explosion at 7:05, destroyed the factory you work in and there were no survivors.

That is fate. So it all depends on the situation and your perspective.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
              LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4495 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2016, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps, Chance (bonne chance) is a fool's word for fate ???

Fortes Forrtuna & Harmonia Juvat

Eddessa-Knight wityh Invisible Light 

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1648 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2016, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I tend to think it's a combination of both because, if it is destined for a  person to win at some point, they will win providing that they play. The luck portion of it is probably better suited as 'luck of the draw' but, that's only my opinion which is also strongly supported by the odds in question. However, there are also several stories by winners who professed the power of manifestation as their eventual path to winning and I'm a solid believer in manifestation because it works hand in hand with our 'faith.' Much like faith, though, it takes lots of time, focus, intention, and practice to master large manifestations as we must crawl before we can walk but so many think it just happens over night. Not so. Doubt is the enemy, and, is always present when we really want to believe for something...and that's the key. Gotta make it a conviction to override doubt as much as possible while also expecting to see smaller manifestations arrive in your daily life. 

Everything happens for a reason and jackpot wins are no different but, unlike unlike Pick3/4 which are comprised largely of 'concrete skills', jackpots wins also require some very serious 'abstract skills' as described above. The mind is your most powerful asset...money is the by-product.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  877 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2016, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Interesting topic. I suppose it all depends on the situation and your perspective. Let's say you over sleep and are running late for work. You need to punch in by 7:00.  Every traffic light you come to on your route is green and you punch in at 6:59. You may say, I was lucky to get here on time. Which is good luck.

Same situation. On your way to work, you are hitting all the green lights and then you get a flat tire and are 20 minutes late. You may say, I got a flat tire and I was late for work and now the boss is mad at me. This is bad luck.

Same situation again. You are changing your flat tire, cussing your bad luck, and you say to yourself screw it, I'm already late. I might as well get my lottery tickets now and save myself a trip on the way home. As you walk out of the 7/11 with your soon to be winning tickets, you here a loud boom off in the distance. You arrive at work at 7:20, only to discover a gas explosion at 7:05, destroyed the factory you work in and there were no survivors.

That is fate. So it all depends on the situation and your perspective.

Very good analogy. Yes Nod

Blue Angel vs Evil Looking

The Meatman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2016, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Your Thread Is Asking us To decide Whether It's" Luck or Fate." I can only speak for myself by saying Fate has nothing to do with it. If fate chose Jack, did it foresee the mess that would follow? How about Abraham Shakespeare?  Does one get chosen because....what? I refuse to believe that my life is already planned,  the choices l make in life are mine & mine alone whether for good or bad. If one is going to talk about fate with regard to the lottery- you will have to expand it to encompass much more than that. Was Lincoln destined to be assainated,  was the Challenger disaster meant to happen- see my point?

Edna Mode did say " Luck   favors the prepared "..

Karmic debts from past lives? Just a thought.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      877 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2016, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmmm. Good point. Makes ya think huh? What?

The Meatman

Marana AZ
                        United States
                        Member #145341
                        August 3, 2013
                        178 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2016, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't think fate exists or plays a part in lottery wins.  Luck does play a role for many winners.  They buy 10 computer picks and one is a winner.  That was the luck of the draw hitting the right random number generated set at the right time.  For other people, there seems to be an element of let's say "fortune telling".  Their stories go like this: "I had a feeling to put the change from my gas fill up into lottery tickets" or "I saw a billboard on my way home and something told me to play the phone numbers".  When people actively choose which numbers to play and when to play them, that's more than simple dumb luck when they win.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2016, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Think about it..... Why do lottery jackpot winners win?

If you read the "winners stories" in Mega Millions, Powerball or on your local state's lottery page, you will see a lot of stories of how and/or why those winners won.

I went for gas and has $2 change so I bought a ticket.

I asked for Mega and the person gave me a Powerball ticket by mistake.

I wasn't going to play, but I decided at the last moment to buy a ticket.

I have played the same numbers for 10 years and they finally came in.

I played my family birthday numbers.

I played my fortune cookie numbers.

The stories are endless, but they all tell the tale of a jackpot winner.

Is it LUCK or FATE?

All those stories have one th‌ing in common, the winners brought a ticket or tickets.  No doubt they all were lucky but I'm sure some had strategies for reducing their number pools and buying more than one or two tickets.

We all know the odds of a single ticket winning because it's on every play slip and we all know the odds of winning if every possible combination is brought but the rewards of winning seldom come close to the cost so the trick would be to find an affordable sweet spot between those two extremes.

There are all kinds of strategies for reducing number pools such as using hot and cold numbers, regular and positional wheeling and etc. which have been discussed many times at LP.  One just have to be willing to spend the effort and time to develop them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                            Member #164727
                            March 12, 2015
                            2517 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2016, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Past lives?

I don't believe in reincarnation for one reason only. The whole purpose of reincarnation is to improve yourself by learning from the past mistakes. I don't recall any past lives whatsoever, so there's nothing to learn. ROFL

Having an open mind, I do find certain places in time curious, but I attribute this to the brain's power. Like when I see movies from the 1920's and 30's, and their settings, sometimes it gives me chills, like I've been there before. Also some western movie towns.

DEJA VU also freaks me out ha ha..The worst part is not knowing what happens after the end of the sequence. Hey !!! I just came up with a lottery system for the big games. I only have a title for now..lol

It's called the DEJA VU System. Repeat numbers?

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                              Member #164727
                              March 12, 2015
                              2517 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2016, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Final thought on this. 

This is an interesting question about luck and fate. There is a Ying and Yang to everything in life....so..... I hate to be a party pooper but I have to ask myself the following. Was the earthquake that recently took the lives of over 120 (last I heard) in Italy, bad luck or fate? Wink

I know this is a lottery site, but I think non-related lottery discussions/lessons learned, may allow lottery enthusiasts to make better decisions when dealing with an almost futile expectancy of a huge reward, such as patience, determination, and beliefs. All three of those attributes are held high by everyone, but I would suggest a 4th, as "practicality". 

So far in my lifetime, there have been about equal amount of times where I was in the right place and the right time,  and....times when I thought the world was out to get me..ha ha