Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do lottery jackpot winners win? LUCK or FATE?

Topic closed. 103 replies. Last post 3 months ago by bobby623.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
Member #106923
February 27, 2011
478 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2016, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Think about it..... Why do lottery jackpot winners win?

If you read the "winners stories" in Mega Millions, Powerball or on your local state's lottery page, you will see a lot of stories of how and/or why those winners won.

I went for gas and has $2 change so I bought a ticket.

I asked for Mega and the person gave me a Powerball ticket by mistake.

I wasn't going to play, but I decided at the last moment to buy a ticket.

I have played the same numbers for 10 years and they finally came in.

I played my family birthday numbers.

I played my fortune cookie numbers.

The stories are endless, but they all tell the tale of a jackpot winner.

Is it LUCK or FATE?

Serendipity.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

United States
    Member #132100
    August 26, 2012
    1076 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2016, 1:36 am - IP Logged

If enough people play enough times, sooner or later somebody will win. (1)

It can be called 'luck", it can also be called "fate", it can also be called something else.

It is probably not very likely that they won the jackpot because they can predict the winning numbers.

It might just be "statistical probability" (1), it is fate and it is also being lucky.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      878 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2016, 10:29 am - IP Logged

It couldn't hurt, but do you think it will help?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19846 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2016, 10:47 am - IP Logged

It couldn't hurt, but do you think it will help?

Blue Angel   Yes Nod   Thumbs Up

Let it Snow Snowman

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          Ny
          United States
          Member #167314
          July 5, 2015
          1806 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I agree with MillionsWanted, pure luck.  Lep

Right place, right time, right number regardless of how they were selected. 

Kurt Vonnegut used this phrase;

That moment in time was structured that way.

Wink

Place and time technically dont matter unless you always purchase qp's in hopes to win. That being said if you select the winning numbers that are drawn you created your own fate or future. Luck is right place right timing sort of like a $100 bill blowing in the wind down a street and u notice it right by your foot.. You are lucky to have been there at that time.. I've learned throughout life one chooses his own fate.. The "lottery" is no different

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
            United States
            Member #167314
            July 5, 2015
            1806 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Tell that to Jack Whittaker,  did l not read that he regretted ever winning after losing his grand daughter to drugs & blaming his win on his divorce etc?

That stuff is fate - where life took him and his family. Nothing says it's guaranteed going to be peaches after you win some money people will still be human and just because you have money doesn't mean you can do no wrong, unfortunately. That is a sad story though.

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
              United States
              Member #167314
              July 5, 2015
              1806 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Is it true the more the jackpot goes up the more you should be expecting to be a winner? I mean somebody will win eventually. That also means someone can win the jackpot in the first draw or first few draws let's say under $100million. It kind of baffles me when people on LP say they wait to play until the jackpot is high as if the jackpot has anything to do with their capability to win. I think it makes none of the difference besides the excitement in people

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
                United States
                Member #167314
                July 5, 2015
                1806 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Past lives?

I don't believe in reincarnation for one reason only. The whole purpose of reincarnation is to improve yourself by learning from the past mistakes. I don't recall any past lives whatsoever, so there's nothing to learn. ROFL

Having an open mind, I do find certain places in time curious, but I attribute this to the brain's power. Like when I see movies from the 1920's and 30's, and their settings, sometimes it gives me chills, like I've been there before. Also some western movie towns.

DEJA VU also freaks me out ha ha..The worst part is not knowing what happens after the end of the sequence. Hey !!! I just came up with a lottery system for the big games. I only have a title for now..lol

It's called the DEJA VU System. Repeat numbers?

Reincarnation and past lives are creepy Deja Vu though could be helpful.. Haha Amber that actually sounds good could also work for the smaller games.. Repeat digits are a big part of all lottery games.. I have a thread that is similar it is based off of remaining digits, repeat digits, and practicality of game situations.. I've been just trying to tweak it to where I can help people understand better but is just for pick4 .. I do have a practical strategy for MM.. basically I pick the MB first then the last number first and go from there.. MM usually has one repeat digit.. but that is for another thread 

If you haven't already here's a link to my thread it's not much but I promise it shows me progression keeping it simple

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/303358/4753737

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                  Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4874 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2016, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Deja Vu System.   Blue Thinking  Hmmm,  I've seen that somewhere before...

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2016, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Place and time technically dont matter unless you always purchase qp's in hopes to win. That being said if you select the winning numbers that are drawn you created your own fate or future. Luck is right place right timing sort of like a $100 bill blowing in the wind down a street and u notice it right by your foot.. You are lucky to have been there at that time.. I've learned throughout life one chooses his own fate.. The "lottery" is no different

MoneyMike$,

In a book about what to do when you win the lottery the author, a financial planner, mentioned some ways that jackpot winners selected their numbers. 

One took the numbers from a box of donuts. Maybe not time but place definitely mattered in that case.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                      Green Bay
                      United States
                      Member #169391
                      October 15, 2015
                      1245 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2016, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

MoneyMike$,

In a book about what to do when you win the lottery the author, a financial planner, mentioned some ways that jackpot winners selected their numbers. 

One took the numbers from a box of donuts. Maybe not time but place definitely mattered in that case.

What if someone bought that box of doughnuts before he got there?  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

FlaEmeraldGirl's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg

United States
                        Member #148660
                        November 8, 2013
                        104 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2016, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I would say jackpot winners were the beneficiary of Luck. Here is how I see Luck vs Fate.

Luck = timing.

Good luck is being in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing that leads to the outcome you desire.

Bad luck is the opposite. Bad luck is being in the wrong place at the wrong time doing things that lead to negative outcomes.

You can make choices to improve your chances of experiencing "good luck".

Fate = something preordained.

I cannot accept the concept of fate because it does not acknowledge our free will and it gives no power to the choices we make.

Congrats to all winners. $$$

Good Luck to all players. Lep

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #152799
                          February 25, 2014
                          1092 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2016, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I believe lottery jackpot winners were simply lucky in acquiring the winning ticket. Fate is in my opinion is pure hogwash as do people really think they were destined to win a major jackpot? I don't think so.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            878 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I believe lottery jackpot winners were simply lucky in acquiring the winning ticket. Fate is in my opinion is pure hogwash as do people really think they were destined to win a major jackpot? I don't think so.

What about in the case of Gloria McKenzie where a woman let her "cut" in front of her and go next.  Gloria McKenzie bought what was going to be the winning ticket for that Powerball drawing.

Was it luck or fate that the woman let her go first, even when she was behind the woman? If the woman didn't let her go first, would the other woman have won instead?

Also, John Robinson wasn't going to stop since he wasn't feeling well, but because Lisa called him, he stopped and bought 4 tickets. One of those 4 tickets won a 1/3 share for the historical $1.6 bil jackpot.

Was it luck or fate that Lisa called John and John stopped to buy those tickets? 

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Ny
                              United States
                              Member #167314
                              July 5, 2015
                              1806 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

I wonder how many people believe they could've been lottery winners already but some event or chain of events came up getting in the way of there win?.. what category would that go under fate or plain ol' bad luck? you know the "could've, should've, would've people" no offense to anybody we've all been there.. that could be an interesting topic too

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink