Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do lottery jackpot winners win? LUCK or FATE?

Topic closed. 103 replies. Last post 3 months ago by bobby623.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2016, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Karmic debts from past lives? Just a thought.

l am reminded of the view similar to that of the ancient Greeks who considered man’s destiny to be controlled by three goddesses—Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. Clotho supposedly spun the thread of life, Lachesis determined its length and Atropos cut it off when the time was up.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

FlaEmeraldGirl's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg

United States
    Member #148660
    November 8, 2013
    104 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2016, 12:21 am - IP Logged

What about in the case of Gloria McKenzie where a woman let her "cut" in front of her and go next.  Gloria McKenzie bought what was going to be the winning ticket for that Powerball drawing.

Was it luck or fate that the woman let her go first, even when she was behind the woman? If the woman didn't let her go first, would the other woman have won instead?

Also, John Robinson wasn't going to stop since he wasn't feeling well, but because Lisa called him, he stopped and bought 4 tickets. One of those 4 tickets won a 1/3 share for the historical $1.6 bil jackpot.

Was it luck or fate that Lisa called John and John stopped to buy those tickets? 

I still say it was luck in both cases.

In the Gloria McKenzie case, regardless of whether the local lottery machine or the main system server hosts the PRNG program that selects quick picks (does anyone know which part of the system selects the QP's?), it was a timing event of milliseconds that gave Gloria McKenzie the numbers on those tickets. There is no guarantee that the woman behind her would have received the same selections if she had kept her place.

As for the Robinson's that was luck too, and it was Mrs. Robinson's desire to pursue luck that led to the win. A choice was made, so it was not fate, it was luck.

In my opinion, the only "lottery" controlled by "fate" is the "birth lottery", and that is only from the perspective of the person being born.

Congrats to all winners. $$$

Good Luck to all players. Lep

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7314 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2016, 12:24 am - IP Logged

All those stories have one th‌ing in common, the winners brought a ticket or tickets.  No doubt they all were lucky but I'm sure some had strategies for reducing their number pools and buying more than one or two tickets.

We all know the odds of a single ticket winning because it's on every play slip and we all know the odds of winning if every possible combination is brought but the rewards of winning seldom come close to the cost so the trick would be to find an affordable sweet spot between those two extremes.

There are all kinds of strategies for reducing number pools such as using hot and cold numbers, regular and positional wheeling and etc. which have been discussed many times at LP.  One just have to be willing to spend the effort and time to develop them.

Self picks have the same chance of winning as QPs, but many more QPs are sold and why the majority of jackpot winners are QPs. Because the tickets are bought before the drawing, there is no way of knowing which ticket if any will match the drawing. I'm not sure if the word "luck" really describes how difficult it is for one ticket to match the one combination out over a quarter billion. If the jackpot winners are lucky, are the players who winning nothing "unlucky"?

To call it fate or destiny means the drawing must be rigged by a higher power in favor of one player over millions. And I really doubt that describes what most people believe is a higher power.

"I wasn't planning on buying tickets", "went to another store" or all the things the winners say in their press conferences are what some people call the "butterfly effect. I'm not sure what Mindy called it when she found out the person (Gloria Mackenzie} she let cut in line won a record jackpot.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7314 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2016, 12:42 am - IP Logged

What about in the case of Gloria McKenzie where a woman let her "cut" in front of her and go next.  Gloria McKenzie bought what was going to be the winning ticket for that Powerball drawing.

Was it luck or fate that the woman let her go first, even when she was behind the woman? If the woman didn't let her go first, would the other woman have won instead?

Also, John Robinson wasn't going to stop since he wasn't feeling well, but because Lisa called him, he stopped and bought 4 tickets. One of those 4 tickets won a 1/3 share for the historical $1.6 bil jackpot.

Was it luck or fate that Lisa called John and John stopped to buy those tickets? 

"Gloria McKenzie bought what was going to be the winning ticket for that Powerball drawing."

Until the results of the drawings, it was much more likely that ticket wouldn't match a number. That being said because of number of tickets sold it was very likely at least one ticket would win the jackpot. Were the numbers on Gloria's ticket destined to be drawn or did they just happen to match the winning numbers?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2016, 11:39 am - IP Logged

"Gloria McKenzie bought what was going to be the winning ticket for that Powerball drawing."

Until the results of the drawings, it was much more likely that ticket wouldn't match a number. That being said because of number of tickets sold it was very likely at least one ticket would win the jackpot. Were the numbers on Gloria's ticket destined to be drawn or did they just happen to match the winning numbers?

"Were the numbers on Gloria's ticket destined to be drawn or did they just happen to match the winning numbers?"

I guess one could say players who try to predict the next winning combination believe certain numbers are destined to be drawn at certain times.  Maybe like Gloria they just happen to get lucky if they actually predict a winning combination occasionally.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2016, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

l am reminded of the view similar to that of the ancient Greeks who considered man’s destiny to be controlled by three goddesses—Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. Clotho supposedly spun the thread of life, Lachesis determined its length and Atropos cut it off when the time was up.

noise-gate,

Those names are in Stephen King's book Insomnia, now I know where they came from, thanks!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              879 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2016, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

After reading all of your very good replies, I Googled "LUCK or FATE

One website had this....

What is the difference between luck and fate?

That's a really interesting question. From my understanding fate is predetermined, and is the same as destiny, it's something that is planned out for us which means whatever path we are walking is unbeknown to us the right path to eventually lead us into becoming the person we were destined to be. In this way bad experiences and suffering occur at certain points so that we can learn and grow from them. If you believe in fate then whatever you are experiencing at anytime has something valuable to teach you, almost like a trial.

Luck on the other hand is something that you control, even if you feel you have no control over it. You have the power to make your life what you want it to be, and to attract positive things into your life you have to think and act in a positive way. Luck can be used seen as another word for the Law of Attraction. To become a lucky person you need to 100% believe that you are a lucky person. To be confident you need to believe in your own abilities and be confident in what you are doing.
              And another site had this....

Luck vs Fate - What's the difference?

As nouns the difference between luck and fate

is that luck is something that happens to someone by chance, a chance occurrence while fate is the presumed cause, force, principle, or divine will that predetermines events.

As verbs the difference between luck and fate

is that luck is to succeed by chance while fate is to foreordain or predetermine, to make inevitable.

luck

English

Noun

(-)
              • Something that happens to someone by chance, a chance occurrence.
              The raffle is just a matter of luck.Sometimes it takes a bit of luck to get success.I couldn't believe my luck when I found a fifty dollar bill on the street.Gilbert had some bad luckyesterday — he got pick-pocketed and lost fifty dollars.
              • A superstitious feeling that brings fortune or success.
              He blew on the dice for luck .I wish you lots of luck for the exam tomorrow.
              • success
              I tried for ages to find a pair of blue suede shoes, but didn't have any luck .He has a lot of luck with the ladies, perhaps it is because of his new motorbike.

Synonyms

* fortune (both senses)

Derived terms

* bad luck * down on one's luck * good luck * luckless * lucky * lucky break * luck out * luck of the draw * luck of the Irish * luck upon (rel-mid) * push one's luck * ride one's luck * run of bad luck * sheer luck * streak of good luck (rel-bottom)

Verb

(en-verb)
              • To succeed by chance.
              His plan lucked out.
              • To rely on luck.
              No plan. We're just to going to have to luck through.
              • To carry out relying on luck.
              Our plan is to luck it through.1000 English basic words

fate

English

(wikipedia)

Noun

• The presumed cause, force, principle, or divine will that predetermines events.
              Captain Edward Carlisle; he could not tell what this prisoner might do. He cursed the fate' which had assigned such a duty, cursed especially that ' fate which forced a gallant soldier to meet so superb a woman as this under handicap so hard.
              • The effect, consequence, outcome, or inevitable events predetermined by this cause.
              • Destiny; often with a connotation of death, ruin, misfortune, etc.
              • (lb) (one of the goddesses said to control the destiny of human beings).

Synonyms

* destiny * doom * fortune * kismet * lot * necessity * orlay * predestination * wyrd

Antonyms

* choice * free will * freedom

Derived terms

* fatal * fatalism * fatality * tempt fate

Related terms

* amor fati ()

See also

* determinism * indeterminism

Verb

(fat)
              • To foreordain or predetermine, to make inevitable.
              The oracle's prediction fatedOedipus to kill his father; not all his striving could change what would occur.
              • * 2011 , James Al-Shamma, Sarah Ruhl: A Critical Study of the Plays (page 119)
              At the conclusion of this part, Eric, who plays Jesus and is now a soldier, captures Violet in the forest, fating her to a concentration camp.

Usage notes

* In some uses this may imply it causes the inevitable event.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1246 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2016, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Hey Meatman... What if its neither?  If someone is lucky enough to win a huge jackpot, why do some face disaster after winning?  I wouldn't call that luck.  As for fate...If some were destine to be rich, why do some lose all the money after time? 

Maybe its just a part of life?  Its called opportunity.  Either you seize it or you don't.

Never give up.  Banana

Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  879 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2016, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Hey Meatman... What if its neither?  If someone is lucky enough to win a huge jackpot, why do some face disaster after winning?  I wouldn't call that luck.  As for fate...If some were destine to be rich, why do some lose all the money after time? 

Maybe its just a part of life?  Its called opportunity.  Either you seize it or you don't.

Maybe it's both.

Luck when you win, but fate that you lost all your riches.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1649 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2016, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I hope you don't mind my entertaining your inquiries here. First of all, nearly HALF (44%) of lottery winners are people who just aren't good money managers and I don't say for my health. If a person isn't satisfactorily managing the money they're presently earning, then coming into such a windfall will only put those same habits on steroids and they'll end up in even more debt...studies have proven this. Conversely, if a person well-manages their current income in every aspect, then that same windfall will also be well-managed and last forever. This is all about one's state of mind (discipline/composure) before, during, and after a win. The opportunity you mention was afforded when the person went and purchased their ticket(s) 'cause this is all that's required for a chance. However, the seizure moment is the part that the same 44% mentioned above will miss every single time 'cause they're just not accustomed to properly handling money. Mind you, small money requires substantially less responsibility than BIG money every time. Taxes will down right eat up a lottery win if it isn't invested properly 'cause this type of money is meant to WORK and not remain dormant.

You're absolutely right about someone winning a jackpot but, facing disaster after winning. Preparation is everything and one's spending habits had better be in check once realizing they've won. Otherwise, it's proven that they'll end up in even more debt...after winning all that money and NOT seizing opportunity. Here's where I sourced the latest information:

http://fortune.com/2016/01/15/powerball-lottery-winners/

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10353 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2016, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

That lottery winner sure had luck on their side...fate was certainly smiling on them!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                        N.C.
                        United States
                        Member #56005
                        October 28, 2007
                        832 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2016, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Luck
                        anybody follow basketball? too bad..I'm rolling.
                        most NCAA coaches will tell you, that to make it through March Madness, you have to have some bit of luck..or  Catch
                        a break or two. (not to be confused with a fast break, or taking a break)
                        There talking about Luck

So when Christian Laettner made what is now refered to as "The Shot" in the 1992 Duke vs. Kentucky Basketball game. was that Luck?
                        Probably...but what they don't tell you is that Laettner was perfect from the field that night he went 10 for 10.
                        so, if the the last shot was luck....what would you consider the other 9 shots?

to believe it was pure luck...no...there was a great deal of Skill, Hard Work, Dedication, Patience, as well as Faith, which I have not
                        heard anyone mention. the driving force that pushes us beyond the barriers of our own sense of ability.

Fate
                        I have heard the cinderella story time and time again, it was destiny they say....
                        is it really????
                        a predetermined event to happen in our life that no matter what choices we make that we will still end up going down
                        the same final path and reaching the same destination.
                        Bologna
                        So no matter how hard the players worked that season, no matter how well Coack K instructed them, that team was destined to win
                        two BACK TO BACK NCAA Championships...
                        I'm not buying it...
                        We've all heard the old saying, "Chance favors the prepared mind".
                        Luck and Fate alone will not get you there.

in my opinion, it is a formula of many variables...
                        I wish I knew the whole equation...I don't...

I do believe there are many paths in this life , and our choices are what guide us to our final destination.

Is winning the lottery Luck or Fate?
                        I don't know...I believe they are both involved.

I would Imagine
                        it is everything coming together in perfect harmony one moment in time where the universe fell into place
                        at least that is how I invision it.

If I was to win, I don't think I would spend a whole lot of time pondering instead of enjoying.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1272 Posts
                          Posted: August 26, 2016, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

The draw was after the purchase of the ticket. Who delivered which ticket when and where didn't matter. Life is a bunch of coincidences.

Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #169723
                            October 29, 2015
                            879 Posts
                            Posted: August 26, 2016, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

So, basically winning the lottery is not luck or fate, but a combination of both.

You have to be lucky to get a ticket with the soon to be winning numbers on it as well as be at the right time and right place where those winning numbers are going to be printed on the ticket you purchased.

Like LottoAce said, " I would Imagine it is everything coming together in perfect harmony one moment in time where the universe fell into place at least that is how I envision it."

The Meatman

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4108 Posts
                              Posted: August 26, 2016, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

So, basically winning the lottery is not luck or fate, but a combination of both.

You have to be lucky to get a ticket with the soon to be winning numbers on it as well as be at the right time and right place where those winning numbers are going to be printed on the ticket you purchased.

Like LottoAce said, " I would Imagine it is everything coming together in perfect harmony one moment in time where the universe fell into place at least that is how I envision it."

Image result for people who only talk about themselves

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.