Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if someone interferes ??

Topic closed. 180 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 1 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2005, 11:21 am - IP Logged

If you do win the Powerball jackpot, of course you will need to leave town after claiming the prize.  Does the lottery give you some of the money up front (So you can leave town and rent a hotel room) or do you have to wait until later on to receive any of it.  I read about a Wisconsin PB winner (Peter Bapes) who won it earlier this year and the website said that he would receive the wire transfer within 10 business days. 

But what if.....

Someone, such as a greedy family member or relative , interferes with the wire transfer and tells the lottery to give your prize money to THEM instead of you.  There have been times when someone wins and people try to sue the lottery winner even before they get the money.  How do you know that someone won't convince the lottery to give them the money instead when it should be for you.  You never know...... maybe it's better to go somewhere where you can be anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2005, 11:28 am - IP Logged

Are drugs legal in your state?

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      485 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8392 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2005, 11:45 am - IP Logged

If you win you get the money not someone else. You go to the lottery office file the paper work and go wherever you want. your banking institution will be more than willing to offer whatever assistance you need. You stop by there office and show them your receipt from the lottery. I'll bet the manager will do back flips to get your business.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2005, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Because your post is so far from left field; its hard to imagine any one would ask such a question. 

1. The holder of the ticket determines the disbursement, not some bogus person from left field.   A rare - RARE - exception would be a court case, not some imaginary person.  Try reading some lottery rules and regulations; get carried away and search some state statutes.

2. You get no advance money from the lottery, your state is neither a bank nor a charity.  Perhaps you have the lottery confused with welfare payments.

Cheers

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2005, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Because your post is so far from left field; its hard to imagine any one would ask such a question. 

1. The holder of the ticket determines the disbursement, not some bogus person from left field.   A rare - RARE - exception would be a court case, not some imaginary person.  Try reading some lottery rules and regulations; get carried away and search some state statutes.

2. You get no advance money from the lottery, your state is neither a bank nor a charity.  Perhaps you have the lottery confused with welfare payments.

Wow..

Was this necessary?

Seems so ugly

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3348 Posts
              Posted: November 22, 2005, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

If you do win the Powerball jackpot, of course you will need to leave town after claiming the prize.  Does the lottery give you some of the money up front (So you can leave town and rent a hotel room) or do you have to wait until later on to receive any of it.  I read about a Wisconsin PB winner (Peter Bapes) who won it earlier this year and the website said that he would receive the wire transfer within 10 business days. 

But what if.....

Someone, such as a greedy family member or relative , interferes with the wire transfer and tells the lottery to give your prize money to THEM instead of you.  There have been times when someone wins and people try to sue the lottery winner even before they get the money.  How do you know that someone won't convince the lottery to give them the money instead when it should be for you.  You never know...... maybe it's better to go somewhere where you can be anonymous.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find out firsthand by winning a jackpot .... then you can tell us how they do it!!  Good luck, and don't believe there will be any glitches like you were contemplating.  Big Grin Santa

I always understood with a major jackpot it took a few to several days to check if there were any tax liens, child support payments, do tax withholding, etc., which had to be paid before disbursal.  Probably other reasons for delay that I'm simply not aware of.

However, understand that with other non-parimutuel payouts it takes a couple of hours to do that research and issue you a check.  Please let me know if that is correct.  Yes Nod

Good luck to everyone!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: November 22, 2005, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Having a bad day Chewie?

He was just asking a question. Remember that saying, "There are no wrong questions, only wrong answers." or something like that. I am sure he was just being curious. No harm in that.

Dance like no one is watching.

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
                  Darlington, S.C.
                  United States
                  Member #3691
                  February 12, 2004
                  133 Posts
                  Posted: November 22, 2005, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Having a bad day Chewie?

He was just asking a question. Remember that saying, "There are no wrong questions, only wrong answers." or something like that. I am sure he was just being curious. No harm in that.

Chewie is just being his usual entertaining, no punches pulled, tell it like it is, spit in your eye self.

What would we ever do without his insulting posts to make us laugh?

Evil Looking

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2005, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Wow..

Was this necessary?

Seems so ugly

Lottery players are supposed to be adults and adults are supposed to be mature and ask mature questions.  Researching answers, before you ask questions, is something some one over 18 should have learned.  Some times you can only baby a baby, and some times you have to tell an adult to act like an adult.  It is how the world is designed to work.  In real life, you are not rewarded for failure.  Unless you live in a liberals mind.

Cheers

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                      United States
                      Member #19651
                      August 3, 2005
                      621 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2005, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

i like goofy people    the problem may be lack of drugs    sometimes when people pick up lotto money  the lines start with people looking to get hold of your new cash    show links to past winners problems    like the ny parking lot guy who's wife got her own split

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Having a bad day Chewie?

Actually I'm have a great week.  However, the no bad question is a myth created years ago.  There are lots of bad questions; most resulting from laziness or sillyness.  If an instructor tells his class there is no tea in China, and the first question out of a students mouth is, How much tea is there in China, that is a dumb question.  The no bad question myth is as bad as there no mistakes, only opportunities myth, or all people are created equal myth. 

I have no problems with quest for knowledge questions.  Don't ask questions, when you know where the answers are.  That indicates lack of preparation; and that should not be rewarded.  It encourages sloppiness. There is harm in that.

Cheers

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

But what if.....

Sounds more like paranoia than anything. The only person that can claim the money is YOU, or whoever has signed the ticket. No one else. Surely the lottery would be prepared for such scams, as I am sure there may have been crazy enough people who have tried some of these things. They are not going to wire it anywhere without your permission.

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

NO,  why would you ask?

Wow..

Was this necessary?

Seems so ugly

Lottery players are supposed to be adults and adults are supposed to be mature and ask mature questions.  Researching answers, before you ask questions, is something some one over 18 should have learned.  Some times you can only baby a baby, and some times you have to tell an adult to act like an adult.  It is how the world is designed to work.  In real life, you are not rewarded for failure.  Unless you live in a liberals mind.

for the life of me,  I cannot see where this person asking a question wasn't being mature.  Seems like they were telling what they read, (although we dont know the source),  he was only bringing up a topic of communciation to see if what he read was true or if anyone else had any more knowledge of the subject..  How else to do it other than ask questions?  He could research, yes.. but how would he know if the answers found there would be true..  Here on LP.. you are able to talk back and forth with real people instead of reading what someone has written on the subject. 

I still think the reply was down right ugly.. Not something a mature adult would do.  Even if the question was seen in a "childish manner", an adult would still answer it in an "adult manner."

I teach special education children and they have parents who would ask some questions that make me think, gosh, how did they make it being parents.. However, being a mature adult, I do not insult their intelligence with ugly remarks.  I instead will answer them.  There is no sense in making anyone feel foolish because they don't know what I know. 

I am sure that rundown99 has knowledge about something that others here at LP could ask him/her about if interested.  Surely we wouldn't want him / her to answer us as if we were crazy.

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Having a bad day Chewie?

Actually I'm have a great week.  However, the no bad question is a myth created years ago.  There are lots of bad questions; most resulting from laziness or sillyness.  If an instructor tells his class there is no tea in China, and the first question out of a students mouth is, How much tea is there in China, that is a dumb question.  The no bad question myth is as bad as there no mistakes, only opportunities myth, or all people are created equal myth. 

I have no problems with quest for knowledge questions.  Don't ask questions, when you know where the answers are.  That indicates lack of preparation; and that should not be rewarded.  It encourages sloppiness. There is harm in that.

Could it be that here at LP is where rundown99 was looking for the answer?

"The only stupid question is that one that goes unasked"  it is not a myth..

Page 1 of 13