Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if someone interferes ??

Topic closed. 180 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 11 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
konane's avatar - wallace
Atlanta, GA
United States
Member #1265
March 13, 2003
3333 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2005, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I've often wondered why the lottery doesn't form some sort of central group which can help people handle the process.  It's as if they wash their hands with you if you win.  You'd think it would be good PR to have some mechanism to advise folks and help them out.

The average Joe or Jane who win, and not just the big jackpots, will need help to handle it.  And the rules which require you go public with a win are silly.  If you want to, fine, go ahead.  But, I believe most folks would prefer to remain unknown.

Many winners panic when they win, for fear of doing the wrong thing.  Who can you trust?  Most don't have lawyers and on staff financial advisors.  Yet, the lottery people offer little, if any aid or assistance.  Just hold up this big check, and your on your own.

Ole' Jack Whittaker is a good case in point.  I can't see how his example, other than showing all of us what not to do, can be of any benefit to those who run the lottery.

I recall reading a few years back about a winner in, I think, Illinois, who freaked out when he won.  He was afraid to move, let alone turn in his ticket.  He finally called the local cops, who had the state police come to his house and drive him to the lottery office.  After that, he left the state.

Maybe the lottery could attempt to do something to help people out.  Putting info, in English, on their websites would be a good start.

Generally, people who aren't smart enought to handle a big lottery win aren't smart enough to realize they need help handling a big lottery win. You can't force people to take financial advice.

Fwup-

You are so right. What we need are some more lottery rules & regulations. I think everyone who wins a major jackpot must take a IQ test. People with below average intelligence should not be eligible to receive their money.

I also think these winners need to be checked out by the FBI to make sure they aren't sleeper agents for some terrorist regime. We wouldn't want them using the winnings for terrorist activities and such.

We also need to run a criminal background check on all the winners to make certain convicted felons do not receive any money. That goes for drinkers, smokers, and illegal drug users.

Last, but not least, all jackpot winners need to have a psychological profile done to make sure that they are able to handle a big win in a responsible manner.

Sounds like those should be requirements for voter elegibility not lottery wins!!  Green laugh  Green laugh  Green laugh  Green laugh

Good luck to everyone!

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
    Darlington, S.C.
    United States
    Member #3691
    February 12, 2004
    133 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2005, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Ever Since this infamous thread ran it's course and fizzled out Chewie has went AWOL.

I wonder if all the Chewie bashing scared him off or if Todd kicked him out?

I've missed him too and hope he comes back soon.  He has some very down to earth observations that cut through PC really well which doesn't set well with some.  BTDT  Big Grin Santa

I haven't gone any where.  I have been quite busy since before Thanksgiving.  Besides, I had said my peice, and stated so.  Sometimes it fun watching Christians be Christians.

Good to have you back!!    Big Grin  Banana

Welcome back, Chewie.

I didn't really think Todd had kicked you out or you were scared off. I was just hoping to get a response from you!

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

United States
      Member #23787
      October 16, 2005
      68 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2005, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Ever Since this infamous thread ran it's course and fizzled out Chewie has went AWOL.

I've missed him too and hope he comes back soon.  He has some very down to earth observations that cut through PC really well which doesn't set well with some.  BTDT  Big Grin Santa

I haven't gone any where.  I have been quite busy since before Thanksgiving.  Besides, I had said my peice, and stated so.  Sometimes it fun watching Christians be Christians.

I find it disgusting when people try to force their religious bigotry/mentality on others and enjoy creating hatred among human beings.

Darlington, S.C.
        United States
        Member #3691
        February 12, 2004
        133 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

I find it disgusting when people try to force their religious bigotry/mentality on others and enjoy creating hatred among human beings.

Rlevins-

You posted all of these statements in this thread:
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Did you appoint yourself spokesperson of this forum who will speak on behalf on others? Only idiots do that and you are one of them. Speak for yourself loser.

Losers, Fools, idiots and scums of society are still trying to justify, why it happened and they do not realise or accept the simple and basic rules of this forum, which have been repeteadly pointed out by various resposnible and upright members in this thread.

Comedian, Joker & loser who got popularity by saying jokes and now showing true colors of dirty old man

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to me some of the things that you posted sound kind of hateful.

The pot calling the kettle black?

In futility.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2005, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like those should be requirements for voter elegibility not lottery wins!!  Green laugh  Green laugh  Green laugh  Green laugh

I Agree! Whole Heartedly! But I see some problems with it. Isn't that call discrimination? And since it discriminates against smokers (which I am one, besides it's legal to do), drinkers (which is also legal to do) who'll be next to be discriminated against? That's what I would want to know!

I can see not letting the illegal drug users collect their money, if they test positive at the time of turning their ticket in for validation. I can also see not letting a convicted felon collect their money as long as they are on parole. But once either of the two above are clean/off parole, I see no reason to hold/keep their winnings from them! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Darlington, S.C.
            United States
            Member #3691
            February 12, 2004
            133 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2005, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Whole Heartedly! But I see some problems with it. Isn't that call discrimination? And since it discriminates against smokers (which I am one, besides it's legal to do), drinkers (which is also legal to do) who'll be next to be discriminated against? That's what I would want to know!

I can see not letting the illegal drug users collect their money, if they test positive at the time of turning their ticket in for validation. I can also see not letting a convicted felon collect their money as long as they are on parole. But once either of the two above are clean/off parole, I see no reason to hold/keep their winnings from them! 

I meant to include gamblers with the smokers and drinkers.

In futility.

Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2005, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Mmmm, if gamblers were to be discriminated against, then I guess we wouldn't have lotteries! Lotteries are a form of gambling and that's a "FACT". There is no-way around it, no matter how you try to slice it!

Darlington, S.C.
                United States
                Member #3691
                February 12, 2004
                133 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2005, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Mmmm, if gamblers were to be discriminated against, then I guess we wouldn't have lotteries! Lotteries are a form of gambling and that's a "FACT". There is no-way around it, no matter how you try to slice it!

You have absolutely no sense of humor.

In futility.

Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
                  Member #3654
                  February 9, 2004
                  70 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2005, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I find it disgusting when people try to force their NON-religious bigotry/mentality on others and enjoy creating hatred among human beings.

Darlington, S.C.
                    United States
                    Member #3691
                    February 12, 2004
                    133 Posts
                    Posted: December 6, 2005, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

I find it disgusting when people try to force their NON-religious bigotry/mentality on others and enjoy creating hatred among human beings.

I Agree!

In futility.

United States
                      Member #23787
                      October 16, 2005
                      68 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2005, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Thanks to dirty and fwup for agreeing with me. I think that no one should try to force his religious or no religious views on others. People should be able to do whatever they feel as long as it does not clash with rights of others. And also no one should try to create hatred among people.

toms river
                        United States
                        Member #27817
                        December 6, 2005
                        32 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2005, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

you  are  a  stupid  man

United States
                          Member #23787
                          October 16, 2005
                          68 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2005, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

you  are  a  stupid  man

Amazing!!! A person is born (first post) with trash in his mouth.

Darlington, S.C.
                            United States
                            Member #3691
                            February 12, 2004
                            133 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2005, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

you  are  a  stupid  man

Now this, I would think, would be the very definition of trolling.

In futility.

Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: December 9, 2005, 11:18 am - IP Logged

you  are  a  stupid  man

Amazing!!! A person is born (first post) with trash in his mouth.

• No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to annoy people.
                              • No personal attacks. Criticize ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated. This includes any material which is vulgar, defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws.

DirtyWrat, I see two people that are guilty of trolling! 

Page 11 of 13