Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if someone interferes ??

Topic closed. 180 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
Michigan
United States
Member #2448
October 4, 2003
26095 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Having a bad day Chewie?

He was just asking a question. Remember that saying, "There are no wrong questions, only wrong answers." or something like that. I am sure he was just being curious. No harm in that.

Actually I'm have a great week.  However, the no bad question is a myth created years ago.  There are lots of bad questions; most resulting from laziness or sillyness.  If an instructor tells his class there is no tea in China, and the first question out of a students mouth is, How much tea is there in China, that is a dumb question.  The no bad question myth is as bad as there no mistakes, only opportunities myth, or all people are created equal myth. 

I have no problems with quest for knowledge questions.  Don't ask questions, when you know where the answers are.  That indicates lack of preparation; and that should not be rewarded.  It encourages sloppiness. There is harm in that.

What drugs are you on?  Your posts are always hate filled.  No one can post a thread that you don't respond to with some insulting, smart butt remark.  Why do you bother answering posts that you think are from lazy, or silly people?  Are you a sadist, or do you think you are amusing?  You have no maturity Chewie.  The LP forum is where people ask what they want pertaining to the lottery and hey guess what, if you have nothing constructive or worthy of an opinion to say on the basis of that post, why bother?

Being a smart butt responder and bigotted as a post you made in reference to a Mexican who won in the Arizona lottery, only shows you are a miserable person.  Misery loves company, so why don't you find another miserable person to amuse, rather than insult an LP poster who feels he/she has a legitimate question to ask?

Maybe you shouldn't answer questions that are in your opinion baseless.  Because, then you prove yourself an idiot.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51098 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

It seems that every online venue has its share of Cyber Bullies:

This one seems to be Lottery Posts'

When you have a know-it-all with a bad disposition the end result is:

A less enjoyable Lottery Post!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4576 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2005, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Real simple: Chewie - 2 points for the silly comments on this particular matter

Rundown99- zero points for asking a question that did not bare its roots in common sense.

My mother once said: The answers to your questions are only as good as the questions!

Chewie simply leaned down to answer the  question at the level it was asked. Where I come from that is called being courteous.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
        Magnolia, Delaware
        United States
        Member #18795
        July 20, 2005
        789 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Right On GameGrl!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Michigan
          United States
          Member #2448
          October 4, 2003
          26095 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Real simple: Chewie - 2 points for the silly comments on this particular matter

Rundown99- zero points for asking a question that did not bare its roots in common sense.

My mother once said: The answers to your questions are only as good as the questions!

Chewie simply leaned down to answer the  question at the level it was asked. Where I come from that is called being courteous.

Rundown's question falls in line with people being duped.  There have been several posts on LP about store clerks stealing winning tickets from unsuspecting winners.  That is in fact an interference of someone recieving their rightful winnings.  It is not unfathomable a person could intercept a wire transfer.  People hack computers on a daily basis and rob people of monies from their bank accounts.

My mother always encouraged me to ask any question, because their is in most cases an answer for everything.  Chewie is always amusing herself with her nasty responses to posters.  She does not have to answer a post for the sake of being pompous and vicious.

If she felt Rundowns question was immature and had no merit, apparently she is immature for taking the time out of her pompous life to answer such questioning. People can always disagree, but when you post hate filled responses to someone who felt they had a legitimate question, than you are lacking in morality and life must be miserable.  Misery loves company, you and Chewie make a great pair.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8393 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Look this guy has been asking similar questions since he joined in 2002 by now he should have a clear understanding in what to do if he wins the lottery. I sense a bit of paranoia about winning the lottery and claiming the money. And that there is some kind of loss of reasonable abilities to do so should he win. In many post he started or replied to there was always the element of suspicion that something will happen to the funds or claiming of the prize there might be more to this than meets the eye.

United States
              Member #23787
              October 16, 2005
              68 Posts
              Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

It is a nice strategy to start as a comedian to gain popularity and then finally showing true colors and graduting as ........

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I THINK NOW I HAVE HEARD SOME CROCK IN MY TIME, BUT THIS TAKES THE CAKE! I would love to see someone hack into the secure system of the Lottery and the United States Banking System to intercept "ANY WIRE TRANSFER"! NOW THAT WOULD BE A FEAT (if it could be done successfully) I WOULD ADMIRE!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                  Member #567
                  August 14, 2002
                  485 Posts
                  Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Wait a minute !!!!

I asked that question out of paranoia, because of horror stories of lottery winners, and I always worried that when that kind of money is involved, someone (especially relatives from my father's side of the family) will try ANYTHING for money.  I am paranoid.  I check my lights and my sink faucets in my apartment repeatedly to make sure that everything is off, and I constantly check my car to make sure that the lights are off and the doors are locked, but I had to ask because I was paranoid about the possibilities of bad luck ..... I asked , " What if someone interfered" because even if YOU claim the prize, you never know what could happen due to human error and human nature.  That one woman who won it in Ohio earlier this year had to claim the prize sooner and prove to the public that she was the winner out of anger despite the anonymity option in Ohio, because SOMEONE ELSE pretended to be the owner of the ticket that was supposedly lost.  Someone from NH who won a share of the $298 million Powerball jackpot in August 2001 (Delaware, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Minnesota) had to PROVE that her winning ticket was not for a group of players who were about to sue her for that money.  William Bud Post won $16 million in the Super 7 lotto in Pennsylvania in 1988, and his ex-girlfriend (NOT WIFE, NOT EVEN RELATED TO HIM) successfully sued HIM for 1/3 of that annuity prize, because it was considered that since they play bingo together that they were gambling partners.  What also led to the judge's decision in that lawsuit was that William Bud Post promised to marry her and later turned her down.  The point is that there is NO SUCH THING AS A SURE THING when it comes to that kind of money and the type of people who WANT money in this world.  Human nature is human nature.  Don't tell me that my question was immature.  I read horror stories of lottery winners for years, and if those people got screwed after claiming the prize in public, don't tell me that a greedy relative won't try something.  If I ever win it, I am getting a DAMN GOOD tax attorney !!!!  CASE CLOSED !!!!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #2448
                    October 4, 2003
                    26095 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Look this guy has been asking similar questions since he joined in 2002 by now he should have a clear understanding in what to do if he wins the lottery. I sense a bit of paranoia about winning the lottery and claiming the money. And that there is some kind of loss of reasonable abilities to do so should he win. In many post he started or replied to there was always the element of suspicion that something will happen to the funds or claiming of the prize there might be more to this than meets the eye.

Then I guess there should be a list of questions a LP member can ask.  Not every question has to suit the fancy of every poster.  But, there could be an answer.  Maybe Rundown has issues that make it difficult for him to grasp some things, maybe he is paranoid, but his question does not have to be met with insult.  If people don't like the question they should leave it alone. It's called respect.

United States
                      Member #23383
                      October 11, 2005
                      485 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

WOW...yet another hate filled thread on LP....Doesn't surprise me in the least...It's quite saddening, tho...

You think the guests that view this site that may want to join as a paid memeber will want to do so after reading hate thread after hate thread...I do not think so...I know I won't pay for a membership here...I will stay a standard member. Why pay for insults....

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                        Florence, Alabama
                        United States
                        Member #8658
                        November 13, 2004
                        1993 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

If you do win the Powerball jackpot, of course you will need to leave town after claiming the prize.  Does the lottery give you some of the money up front (So you can leave town and rent a hotel room) or do you have to wait until later on to receive any of it.  I read about a Wisconsin PB winner (Peter Bapes) who won it earlier this year and the website said that he would receive the wire transfer within 10 business days. 

But what if.....

Someone, such as a greedy family member or relative , interferes with the wire transfer and tells the lottery to give your prize money to THEM instead of you.  There have been times when someone wins and people try to sue the lottery winner even before they get the money.  How do you know that someone won't convince the lottery to give them the money instead when it should be for you.  You never know...... maybe it's better to go somewhere where you can be anonymous.

I thought this post was a joke at first when I read it but by seeing the replies I guess rundown was really serious when he/she asked this question. 1st of all I went to the WI website to read this story that was mentioned but I guess WI felt that if you win the Powerball that besides leaving your town your story should also disappear. So of course like anyone who would want to find out things for themselves I went to the Powerball website were I found the story. For some reason I don't see anything there that said he HAD to leave his town after claiming his prize. I also didn't see anything about a wire transfer. Rundown99 could you post the link, I'm interested in reading this article. As far as I know nobody can claim the jackpot but the person with the winning ticket, then it's a free for all with ex's, child support, IRS, and possibly a lottery pool.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #2448
                          October 4, 2003
                          26095 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I THINK NOW I HAVE HEARD SOME CROCK IN MY TIME, BUT THIS TAKES THE CAKE! I would love to see someone hack into the secure system of the Lottery and the United States Banking System to intercept "ANY WIRE TRANSFER"! NOW THAT WOULD BE A FEAT (if it could be done successfully) I WOULD ADMIRE!

Excuse me Barista, but Bank of America's system was hacked midsummer, and I along with millions of their customers were informed via mail of the incident.  Nothing is impossible and you can spin it anyway you want.  So while I choose to believe what you think is impossible is possible, I'll consider the feat as admirable.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                            Member #567
                            August 14, 2002
                            485 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

If you do win the Powerball jackpot, of course you will need to leave town after claiming the prize.  Does the lottery give you some of the money up front (So you can leave town and rent a hotel room) or do you have to wait until later on to receive any of it.  I read about a Wisconsin PB winner (Peter Bapes) who won it earlier this year and the website said that he would receive the wire transfer within 10 business days. 

But what if.....

Someone, such as a greedy family member or relative , interferes with the wire transfer and tells the lottery to give your prize money to THEM instead of you.  There have been times when someone wins and people try to sue the lottery winner even before they get the money.  How do you know that someone won't convince the lottery to give them the money instead when it should be for you.  You never know...... maybe it's better to go somewhere where you can be anonymous.

I thought this post was a joke at first when I read it but by seeing the replies I guess rundown was really serious when he/she asked this question. 1st of all I went to the WI website to read this story that was mentioned but I guess WI felt that if you win the Powerball that besides leaving your town your story should also disappear. So of course like anyone who would want to find out things for themselves I went to the Powerball website were I found the story. For some reason I don't see anything there that said he HAD to leave his town after claiming his prize. I also didn't see anything about a wire transfer. Rundown99 could you post the link, I'm interested in reading this article. As far as I know nobody can claim the jackpot but the person with the winning ticket, then it's a free for all with ex's, child support, IRS, and possibly a lottery pool.

It said on the Winner's story (Wisconsin, January 8, 2005) that:

"Bapes, 51, has chosen the $20.2 million cash option jackpot. After taxes, he will receive a single lump sum payment of $13.8 million. Payment will be made by bank wire within 10 business days. " 

(I'm sorry.  It was bank wire, not wire transfer.  I thought that the terms were synonamous. )

I'm sorry to lash out at you Chewie.  I am just too damn paranoid.  Please forgive me.  But, you did hurt my feelings in your previous posts.

You guys are right.  I am too paranoid.  I shouldn't have even asked that question.  Of course, the person who claimed the prize can't lose all of it because of someone else in the beginnning.   I have been on the lottery post for years, so I can tell you guys about my life.  I can talk to you guys and girls.  It's just that my overprotective father is having me work for him at this job that even the employees are unhappy at, and I am afraid that if I ever win the jackpot, that he will try to fight me over the money and try to take my winnings from me to keep me from leaving that place.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3348 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

But what if.....

It said on the Winner's story (Wisconsin, January 8, 2005) that:

"Bapes, 51, has chosen the $20.2 million cash option jackpot. After taxes, he will receive a single lump sum payment of $13.8 million. Payment will be made by bank wire within 10 business days. " 

(I'm sorry.  It was bank wire, not wire transfer.  I thought that the terms were synonamous. )

I'm sorry to lash out at you Chewie.  I am just too damn paranoid.  Please forgive me.  But, you did hurt my feelings in your previous posts.

You guys are right.  I am too paranoid.  I shouldn't have even asked that question.  Of course, the person who claimed the prize can't lose all of it because of someone else in the beginnning.   I have been on the lottery post for years, so I can tell you guys about my life.  I can talk to you guys and girls.  It's just that my overprotective father is having me work for him at this job that even the employees are unhappy at, and I am afraid that if I ever win the jackpot, that he will try to fight me over the money and try to take my winnings from me to keep me from leaving that place.

Your original idea of getting a tax attorney who is working for YOU seems like the best bet, IMHO. 

Good luck to everyone!

Page 2 of 13