Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store clerk judging you.

Topic closed. 136 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 5 of 10
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever had the feeling the store clerk was judging you?

Yes [ 50 ]  [34.01%]
no [ 24 ]  [16.33%]
maybe [ 6 ]  [4.08%]
always [ 3 ]  [2.04%]
who cares [ 64 ]  [43.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 147 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2006, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

wow what the hey. if i give the clerk a tip about a number will the clerk give me a dime i don't think so. i don't see where anyone is indebted to the clerk unless you and the clerk are good buds/close friends. At most many clerks are causal acquaintances.

As for tipping for a service not lottery related if i get fast prompt courteous service for something i might slip the person a fiver especially if the person is a worker. never tip the owner for service it's bad etiquette.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

wow what the hey. if i give the clerk a tip about a number will the clerk give me a dime i don't think so. i don't see where anyone is indebted to the clerk unless you and the clerk are good buds/close friends. At most many clerks are causal acquaintances.

As for tipping for a service not lottery related if i get fast prompt courteous service for something i might slip the person a fiver especially if the person is a worker. never tip the owner for service it's bad etiquette.

I tip the customers who are giving me winning tips... lol

No one is indebeted to anyone for tipping.. and if it isn't coming from the heart.. it isn't worth giving or getting..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:46 am - IP Logged

Losers are always suckers, but it is funny how quickly a sucker becomes a good friend after a big win...

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2006, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Your last sentence, "Anyone who turns a tip down doesn't need it and thinks you need it more than they do."  is insulting.

no lol here.

That is the feeling I get when someone turns down my money or help, it is like if you open a door for someone and they give you a dirty look or insist you go first, they just gotta be better than you in their minds. no lol in these cases.     jarasanBang Head

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
          nashville
          United States
          Member #4990
          June 8, 2004
          1376 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2006, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

My vote was maybe, sometimes I have thought they might be, or they could be just having other problems that I am not aware of. usually if I get that feeling I won't go back to that store.

Fortunatly the store I go to now thats not a problem they are super great with all their lottery customers.

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 17, 2006, 12:09 am - IP Logged

LOL ..  agree...

Suckers I refer to are those that come in store and cannot leave without playing the scratchers.. writing checks for more cash after losing their initial buck.. and then putting money on credit card for more money with the ATM.. and then starts over again the next day..

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: November 17, 2006, 1:28 am - IP Logged

There seems to be a little misunderstanding here.  If Rick is self-employed and is doing his job, then he doesn't expect a tip.  You don't tip your doctor or your accountant. They all provide a service for a fee. A waitress, on the other hand, depends on tips to make a living. There's a difference. I always would tip a valet who parked my car. However, at the places I eat now, any guy who takes my car keys would probably be stealing it.  (OMG - It's the McBurglar!)

When I sold furniture, many times the delivery guys would get tips.  However, whether a store offers free delivery with a purchase or charges $100, the driver who is getting a salary should never expect a tip for good service, although there's nothing wrong in accepting one. Good service is part of any job. 

TnTea -  I don't think the lottery would appreciate knowing that store clerks are taking kickbacks for steering customers to buy certain tickets.  Just rubs me the wrong way.

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2006, 8:42 am - IP Logged

The only tip I usually ever give store clerks is tell them to lower their prices. Then maybe I could afford a tip...

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2006, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

There seems to be a little misunderstanding here.  If Rick is self-employed and is doing his job, then he doesn't expect a tip.  You don't tip your doctor or your accountant. They all provide a service for a fee. A waitress, on the other hand, depends on tips to make a living. There's a difference. I always would tip a valet who parked my car. However, at the places I eat now, any guy who takes my car keys would probably be stealing it.  (OMG - It's the McBurglar!)

When I sold furniture, many times the delivery guys would get tips.  However, whether a store offers free delivery with a purchase or charges $100, the driver who is getting a salary should never expect a tip for good service, although there's nothing wrong in accepting one. Good service is part of any job. 

TnTea -  I don't think the lottery would appreciate knowing that store clerks are taking kickbacks for steering customers to buy certain tickets.  Just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't think the Lottery would care one way or the other...

They have to pay out $500 for a winning number.. So why would they care if  $450 went to the person buying it and $50 to the clerk..

I have received tips from people who pick their own rolls to buy from.

If I am off a few days in a row and know nothing about the games, I will tell the regulars I have no clue to what is due to hit... 

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2006, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

When the delivery guys delivered the wide screen tv for hubby's birthday in July,  I gave them both a $20 tip for coming in and getting the job done quickly so that I could surprise him.

I just said, "Thank you very , very much for helping me with this surprise,  I would like for each of you to have lunch on me.."  They took it and said, "thanks.. we sure will.."

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2006, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

The only tip I usually ever give store clerks is tell them to lower their prices. Then maybe I could afford a tip...

LOL  That is a good one..

I have gotten verbal tips too... lol

Don't forget your umbrella.. it looks like rain..

Or don't lock your car unless you have your keys in your hand.. Good tips.. and all done in fun..

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2006, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

When the delivery guys delivered the wide screen tv for hubby's birthday in July,  I gave them both a $20 tip for coming in and getting the job done quickly so that I could surprise him.

I just said, "Thank you very , very much for helping me with this surprise,  I would like for each of you to have lunch on me.."  They took it and said, "thanks.. we sure will.."

Good thing they didn't have dirty minds lol. Or maybe they did? Nonetheless I am sure "lunch on you" was still pretty good hehe.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                          FEMA Region V Camp #21
                          United States
                          Member #520
                          July 27, 2002
                          5699 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2006, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

That is the feeling I get when someone turns down my money or help, it is like if you open a door for someone and they give you a dirty look or insist you go first, they just gotta be better than you in their minds. no lol in these cases.     jarasanBang Head

I agree.  I hold a door open for anyone and I react the same way if they give me a dirty look.  But because I don't want or expect someone's money doesn't mean I think I'm better than them.  I'm not better than anyone and they are not better than me.

Expecting a tip is worlds away from holding a door open as a courtesy to the person following you.  You are not expecting money for that, just polite acknowledgement of your effort.

There are jobs you get tipped at and jobs you don't.  According to the books on etiquette, you are not required to tip your cashier.  If you want to do so then by all means do.

Don't hurt your head on that wall. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2006, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Entirely different, tntea. Sorry, but if I owned a convenient store and knew you were talking "tips" for suggesting scratch tickets, I'd fire you.  It's bad business.

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: November 17, 2006, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

Entirely different, tntea. Sorry, but if I owned a convenient store and knew you were talking "tips" for suggesting scratch tickets, I'd fire you.  It's bad business.

It must not be bad for business..

We are among the top 5 for the state of TN.  (in lotto sales.. tickets..)  This is one reason people come to see us.  We are people friendly and we keep people happy.

As far as talking "tips"...  It would bring in more business..

If you meant taking "tips"... well the boss even holds tips for me when someone leaves them there when I am off..

Page 5 of 10