Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store clerk judging you.

Topic closed. 136 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 3 of 10
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever had the feeling the store clerk was judging you?

Yes [ 50 ]  [34.01%]
no [ 24 ]  [16.33%]
maybe [ 6 ]  [4.08%]
always [ 3 ]  [2.04%]
who cares [ 64 ]  [43.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 147 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: November 14, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Interesting topic.  Yes, I sometimes wonder if the clerk is thinking "another poor sucker wasting her money!"  However, I don't really care.  Anyway, I'll chat with the clerks about it and most of them play the lottery too.  When someone in front of me spends $100 on scratch tickets and buys another $50 in QPs for Lotto, I often say (after the person leaves of course) "I wonder if that person has money or is just a heck of a lot crazier than I am!"  The only people who bug me are those who scratch at the counter or the people who leave to get a card and return to the terminal and cut in after they've completed them.

Oh, speaking of what others think of you ...  today Publix (where I spend a large portion of my income on groceries) is having Holiday Night.  I stopped earlier and ate free apple pie with ice cream, Hilshire Farms little wiener dogs, turkey w/stuffing and free wine.  That was at 4.  I got suckered into buying some apple cider (delicious) which says every 8 oz glass is equal to 2 apples a day. So I am thinking of changing my clothes and wearing sunglasses and going back for seconds. (can't find a wig)  LOL!!!  After you live in Florida for a long time, the "plate lickers" start to wear off on you - and ya know what? They have every right to go to all the free breakfasts where salespeople are trying to sell stuff to seniors. So I guess that means I'm on my way back to the market now for some of that honey glzed ham.  Tis the Season!  Let them stare!!!

Big Grin

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
    Winchester, Kentucky
    United States
    Member #42711
    July 7, 2006
    1201 Posts
    Posted: November 14, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

sooo funny justxploring...... Ham lol

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31337 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2006, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I also suckered myself out the door last Saturday after buying a $2.00 Jumbo and scratched it off in the car.....

$500

marched right in and cashed it,,,,,,,,,Thank you and have a nice day,,,,lol.....

ps.  My favorite store clerk was happy for me too....and nooooo I didn't buy any more...Smile

congrats!!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: November 14, 2006, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I have a lady friend that works at a franchise c-store near me.  She is into the lottery as much as we are but she made a comment one day that made me think.  "We have some terrible gamblers that come in here.  Terrible", she said with a sad shake of the head.

You wonder how some people spending $50 or more a day can afford it and if they're making enough money to cover their betting.  Her comment tells me that some are not.  That is not a good thing.

To play the lottery is one thing, but to throw your money at them is quite another. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4523 Posts
          Posted: November 14, 2006, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

perhaps my sagas arent near the *sucker* level, as I often play scratchers and pick games. Neither have made me a millionaire and neither has made the clerk behind the counter any richer. What it has done though is made me gratefull each time I go into a store and see that the $8.00 an hour clerk is there to cheer me on! I couldnt give a hoot what their wages are, that human being is  priceless to replace and more priceless when its someones kid who is trying to make a decent life for themselves whilst going to night school.  The underlying truth is most folks dont like being judged negatively..so why do it? Accentuate the positive.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
            Chicago,IL.
            United States
            Member #2902
            November 29, 2003
            1424 Posts
            Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

At the White Hen I buy my tickets at their are 2 young guys who take care of me and if I buy less tickets than I normally do they ask me if everything is alright. lol.  Also they know my combinations without even asking. So when I hit it big I'm gonna change their lives. Wink

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

perhaps my sagas arent near the *sucker* level, as I often play scratchers and pick games. Neither have made me a millionaire and neither has made the clerk behind the counter any richer. What it has done though is made me gratefull each time I go into a store and see that the $8.00 an hour clerk is there to cheer me on! I couldnt give a hoot what their wages are, that human being is  priceless to replace and more priceless when its someones kid who is trying to make a decent life for themselves whilst going to night school.  The underlying truth is most folks dont like being judged negatively..so why do it? Accentuate the positive.

That was beautiful.  Hyper

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: November 14, 2006, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Tea: You sell these tickets, so you see it all. I'm sure your opinion that it's a sucker game is based on what you encounter. People can be really stupid when it comes to gambling, but they also can be stupid and buy cigarettes , alcohol , and twinkies and abuse them too...   

Having said that, please don't call me a sucker if I walk out with my hundred. If anything, count me in the minority- the ones that walk out the door...

Why do people sit at the same slot machine feeding one $100 bill after another trying to win a $1000 jackpot ??   I witnessed one individual put in over $800 on the same machine to win $1000 and walk away with nothing. Now there is a sucker ... 

After all, it is just a game... knowing when to quit is the challenge.

DoubleDown.. I congratulated you on your win, and did not call you a sucker.  I just said "scratch off games are sucker's game."

I scratch 2 or 3 five dollar tickets a month for the fun of it.. I have done well at times.. and then lost my $5..  no big deal..  I dont consider myself a sucker.. but someone who does get a kick out a twice a month run at a sucker's game..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: November 14, 2006, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

They want to know what I'm playing, I can run my own tickets, and they are always extra nice, 'cause they get tipped on anything over a couple hundred. Money is a powerful motivator.  They love to win just like the customers, I gave one of the clerks I see in the morning a pick 4 for the MD day draw 2 weeks ago, he won $700.00, high fives, he wanted my phone number, when I came in for the next day draw. We all share numbers back and forth.  I go to four or five places mostly and know just about everybody by name, names like kaleab, anumu, james, emanuel, momo, jason, baisa, angesem, rick, asad, pola, uncle naz, they all are hard working trying to get ahead, just standing there for hours on end, trying to be nice, I think some like the numbers written out, instead of on playslips, some of them have been doing it for years and are incredibly fast on regular keypads, the touch screens have slowed them down. They ask what I do, I tell them, when I'm not busy, "I do whatever I wan't", they want to know, what I do, to do whatever I wan't,  eventually I tell them "computers" I am on-call 24/7, then they're like OHHHHHH, etc.  Anyway,

LOL jarasan.US Flag

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: November 15, 2006, 7:54 am - IP Logged

They want to know what I'm playing, I can run my own tickets, and they are always extra nice, 'cause they get tipped on anything over a couple hundred. Money is a powerful motivator.  They love to win just like the customers, I gave one of the clerks I see in the morning a pick 4 for the MD day draw 2 weeks ago, he won $700.00, high fives, he wanted my phone number, when I came in for the next day draw. We all share numbers back and forth.  I go to four or five places mostly and know just about everybody by name, names like kaleab, anumu, james, emanuel, momo, jason, baisa, angesem, rick, asad, pola, uncle naz, they all are hard working trying to get ahead, just standing there for hours on end, trying to be nice, I think some like the numbers written out, instead of on playslips, some of them have been doing it for years and are incredibly fast on regular keypads, the touch screens have slowed them down. They ask what I do, I tell them, when I'm not busy, "I do whatever I wan't", they want to know, what I do, to do whatever I wan't,  eventually I tell them "computers" I am on-call 24/7, then they're like OHHHHHH, etc.  Anyway,

LOL jarasan.US Flag

Where I work, we have a great repore with our customers too.  We share numbers, and discuss ideas.  These people are great tippers too.

Those who don't tip are still in process of learning how to win.. lol...  Like you said, "money is a powerful motivator."    I only tip 10 percent of what is cashed in..  example.. If I win $500 on a st.. I give $50 to clerk that punches me in.. if I win more and they are only able to cash $500 at that moment.. I only pay $50 until I can cash the others..  That way others have a chance at the tip..

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: November 15, 2006, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Another idea to ponder.. Who wins more on the scratchers,  the tippers or the non-tippers.. ?

Believe me, at our store the tippers.. lol 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: November 15, 2006, 8:06 am - IP Logged

my answer is YES.i had a feeling just by the way a clerk would watch me walk up with a play slip that before i got to the counter i knew by the look i got weather or not they would run my play slip.sometimes i would get excuses like the machine is down,etc,etc. so one day i casually asked for the manager.when the manager came to the front i told her that the clerk was telling me the machine was down every day around four in the afternoon when i came in and that i was going to call the lottery commission and complain and ask them to go ahead and just remove the machines since the weren't being used.the manager said i could've played my slips.so i told her no i couldn't since the ignorant dummy running the register kept making excuses and so then the clerk was told she better run my playslip from now on.needless to say it was a major retail gas station and i just started going to a mom and pop store.i was finally glad when betslips came along so i no longer had to deal with rude clerks.

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
                          Winchester, Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #42711
                          July 7, 2006
                          1201 Posts
                          Posted: November 15, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Another idea to ponder.. Who wins more on the scratchers,  the tippers or the non-tippers.. ?

Who tips at a conveniant store? What?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31337 Posts
                            Posted: November 15, 2006, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Seems dishonest at the very least.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: November 15, 2006, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I know certain store clerks that will tell me what is hot and what is not regarding scratchers.

I have a habit of tipping them at least a $5 or $10 depending on the win.

They appreciate it as much as I appreciated their "tips"

DD 

Page 3 of 10