Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store clerk judging you.

Topic closed. 136 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 2 of 10
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever had the feeling the store clerk was judging you?

Yes [ 50 ]  [34.01%]
no [ 24 ]  [16.33%]
maybe [ 6 ]  [4.08%]
always [ 3 ]  [2.04%]
who cares [ 64 ]  [43.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 147 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
SirMetro's avatar - center
East of Atlanta
United States
Member #6191
August 11, 2004
1389 Posts
Posted: November 14, 2006, 7:47 am - IP Logged

I am with Rick G, if I feel like the Clerk is having "better then thou" attitude, I find a friendlier store. Around here, a few of the store Clerks take the time to learn who you are. They know who scores the most hits and some of them want in on the action. The couple of stores I go to rather regular make it fun to play. The few that made me feel like I was being foolish, well, I haven't been back to those.

Hope ya having fun,

Sir Metro

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:00 am - IP Logged

I am with Rick G, if I feel like the Clerk is having "better then thou" attitude, I find a friendlier store. Around here, a few of the store Clerks take the time to learn who you are. They know who scores the most hits and some of them want in on the action. The couple of stores I go to rather regular make it fun to play. The few that made me feel like I was being foolish, well, I haven't been back to those.

Hope ya having fun,

Sir Metro

I Agree!  Well said, Rick G and Sirmetro.

I have a store I buy 99% of my tickets because the clerks are friendly and they are just like you described.

On the flip side, there are some places I have been that I have to beg for a ticket and get the inevitable sigh or the feeling like they are bothered to serve. Needless to say, these are not frequent visits. 

I travel all over the southeast and for the most part I encounter good people that do not seem to be judgemental. 

DD

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:15 am - IP Logged

The Scratchers are considered the sucker's game.  There is no participation on the gambler at all.. Just take what you get..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

BIRD's avatar - hiro bird.jpg
        clarkston georgia
        United States
        Member #555
        August 8, 2002
        3348 Posts
        Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:45 am - IP Logged

my store loves to see me comming ,yea they are curious to what I play some have won playing behind me ,and most are like RICK G..

spooky soozy 888

birdshouse.ning.com

join us at birdshouse

bird 4=7

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: November 14, 2006, 8:52 am - IP Logged

The Scratchers are considered the sucker's game.  There is no participation on the gambler at all.. Just take what you get..

I suckered myself right into the waiting arms of the lottery yesterday-

I went into my favorite store, selected one $10 scratcher and took what i got.

Then I scratched it, won $100 and participated right on out the door.

DD

sfilippo's avatar - skull
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #33770
            February 24, 2006
            3146 Posts
            Posted: November 14, 2006, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Yeah, i've seen that "poor sucker" face a few times, but not when the owner of the store is getting my tickets for me. He or she knows what the bottom line is and they are glad to see me buy tickets.

It's usually the employee clerks that do that. Store owners usually don't.

Smiley Steve

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
              Winchester, Kentucky
              United States
              Member #42711
              July 7, 2006
              1201 Posts
              Posted: November 14, 2006, 11:52 am - IP Logged

DD

I also suckered myself out the door last Saturday after buying a $2.00 Jumbo and scratched it off in the car.....

$500

marched right in and cashed it,,,,,,,,,Thank you and have a nice day,,,,lol.....

ps.  My favorite store clerk was happy for me too....and nooooo I didn't buy any more...Smile

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3047 Posts
                Posted: November 14, 2006, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I think the faces of the clerks are priceless some times with how they act when you buy lottery from them.  It cracks me up!  I could care less what they think!  I have noticed some are happy, some have no expression and some just do not feel like selling anything the day you walk in.  But one thing I have learned about clerks is.  I always fill out playslips so I do not give them a chance to screw me over.-weshar75

GIDDYUP's avatar - cls want_to_buy.jpg
                  Dunn / Kinston North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #46604
                  September 17, 2006
                  98 Posts
                  Posted: November 14, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I always thought that the owner of the store makes a certain % of the sales of tickets he sells.  Is that true?  And if that is true it would look like they would be glad to sell you all the lotto that your heart desires.....

Hey, its your money,,,,,,you earned it,,,,,spend it the way you like.  Or find another store that will be glad to get your business.

In North Carolina we don't get a single penny as store employees ... although we feel it's not fair we still love selling those winning tickets and giving out those winnings ... especially to ourselves (shhh)!!!

Can't lose for winning Banana

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                    FEMA Region V Camp #21
                    United States
                    Member #520
                    July 27, 2002
                    5699 Posts
                    Posted: November 14, 2006, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

In North Carolina we don't get a single penny as store employees ... although we feel it's not fair we still love selling those winning tickets and giving out those winnings ... especially to ourselves (shhh)!!!

In IL, the store selling a winning state-game ticket gets 1% of the winnings.  Don't know how they get paid in the Mega game.  Maybe that explains the difference in enthusiasm in lottery sales compared to other states.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2006, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

DD

Congrats on your hit.. Keep doing that day by day and see how far you can win..

I see this daily where I work.. 

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: November 14, 2006, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I also suckered myself out the door last Saturday after buying a $2.00 Jumbo and scratched it off in the car.....

$500

marched right in and cashed it,,,,,,,,,Thank you and have a nice day,,,,lol.....

ps.  My favorite store clerk was happy for me too....and nooooo I didn't buy any more...Smile

Congrats on your hit.. I see lots of people buy those Jumbo's and buy 10 at a time and get excited over winning a ticket or two.. Most cases you end up a loser.. Even if you win $500 every now and then.. One has to consider what has been spent on the sucker game to begin with.. People are usually blind to the truth with these scratchers..

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: November 14, 2006, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, i've seen that "poor sucker" face a few times, but not when the owner of the store is getting my tickets for me. He or she knows what the bottom line is and they are glad to see me buy tickets.

It's usually the employee clerks that do that. Store owners usually don't.

It is  a sad game.. however, I get paid a nice salary selling them. I am not complaining.  I don't mind standing up there all day selling the sucker's game for what I get paid.  It is sad though to hear one say, "I need a hit.."  I am thinking , "you sure do ,  up side your head with a brick." 

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                            Member #45970
                            September 1, 2006
                            4763 Posts
                            Posted: November 14, 2006, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm a c-store manager here in Oklahoma and I love to see people coming in to play. I've probably got at least 20 different "regulars" that come in every day. We all play the games and usually spend quite a bit of time swapping ideas and strategies. The only time I've ever really looked "down" on someone is when I see them come in and pick up a pack of diapers or formula, think about it for a minute, and then put it down and buy lotto tickets instead. It's fun to play people, but let's keep our priorities straight. Get my drift?

Shawn

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2006, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

It is  a sad game.. however, I get paid a nice salary selling them. I am not complaining.  I don't mind standing up there all day selling the sucker's game for what I get paid.  It is sad though to hear one say, "I need a hit.."  I am thinking , "you sure do ,  up side your head with a brick." 

Tea: You sell these tickets, so you see it all. I'm sure your opinion that it's a sucker game is based on what you encounter. People can be really stupid when it comes to gambling, but they also can be stupid and buy cigarettes , alcohol , and twinkies and abuse them too...   

Having said that, please don't call me a sucker if I walk out with my hundred. If anything, count me in the minority- the ones that walk out the door...

Why do people sit at the same slot machine feeding one $100 bill after another trying to win a $1000 jackpot ??   I witnessed one individual put in over $800 on the same machine to win $1000 and walk away with nothing. Now there is a sucker ... 

After all, it is just a game... knowing when to quit is the challenge.

Page 2 of 10