Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Store clerk judging you.

Topic closed. 136 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 6 of 10
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever had the feeling the store clerk was judging you?

Yes [ 50 ]  [34.01%]
no [ 24 ]  [16.33%]
maybe [ 6 ]  [4.08%]
always [ 3 ]  [2.04%]
who cares [ 64 ]  [43.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 147 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
Winchester, Kentucky
United States
Member #42711
July 7, 2006
1201 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2006, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Lord Help Uslol        No 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Entirely different, tntea. Sorry, but if I owned a convenient store and knew you were talking "tips" for suggesting scratch tickets, I'd fire you.  It's bad business.

Sorry, Tntea...gotta agree.  Your Lottery Commission must have much looser regulations in TN.  I think this practice would be frowned upon and investigated in IL. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Entirely different, tntea. Sorry, but if I owned a convenient store and knew you were talking "tips" for suggesting scratch tickets, I'd fire you.  It's bad business.

ROFLThat's exactly what I said in the tipping thread, Justxploring.  That's why I don't buy scratch offs because of clerks like that.  I'll tell you what I gave as words of wisdom to my daughters about tipping.

Tip a Good Babysitter - be good to her - remember them on their birthday and Christmas and don't expect anything from them because you can't beat a good babysitter.  You need them in emergencies.

Tip Your Hairdresser - sometimes you need them in emergencies - and they will go out of their way to please you if you are a regular - like changing appointments etc.

Tip your Manicurist/Pedicure - they will take more time with you and give your hands, feet and legs that extra massage and touch, even when it's crowded and people are waiting.

Tip Your Paperboy at Christmas - he will throw your paper on the porch when it is raining.

Don't Be Uncouth - tip when you should (15 to 20 percent normally at restaurants unless a gratuity is auto) and carry one of those little tip cards in your wallet for easy calculations - a few dollars will suffice at airports, hotel staff that make your bed and wheel your bags to the room and Valet parkers.  Don't tip if it is not allowed.  There will be a sign.

Tip a waitress that give good service but serve bad food - she/he is not responsible for your choice of a bad place to eat

takeemtothebank

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:24 am - IP Logged

ROFLThat's exactly what I said in the tipping thread, Justxploring.  That's why I don't buy scratch offs because of clerks like that.  I'll tell you what I gave as words of wisdom to my daughters about tipping.

Tip a Good Babysitter - be good to her - remember them on their birthday and Christmas and don't expect anything from them because you can't beat a good babysitter.  You need them in emergencies.

Tip Your Hairdresser - sometimes you need them in emergencies - and they will go out of their way to please you if you are a regular - like changing appointments etc.

Tip your Manicurist/Pedicure - they will take more time with you and give your hands, feet and legs that extra massage and touch, even when it's crowded and people are waiting.

Tip Your Paperboy at Christmas - he will throw your paper on the porch when it is raining.

Don't Be Uncouth - tip when you should (15 to 20 percent normally at restaurants unless a gratuity is auto) and carry one of those little tip cards in your wallet for easy calculations - a few dollars will suffice at airports, hotel staff that make your bed and wheel your bags to the room and Valet parkers.  Don't tip if it is not allowed.  There will be a sign.

Tip a waitress that give good service but serve bad food - she/he is not responsible for your choice of a bad place to eat

"Tip a waitress that give good service but serve bad food - she/he is not responsible for your choice of a bad place to eat"

Subtle, but true reminder for all of us...if the food was bad yet the service was good, do we take it out on the waitress or our next choice of dining spots?

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31347 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:28 am - IP Logged

It must not be bad for business..

We are among the top 5 for the state of TN.  (in lotto sales.. tickets..)  This is one reason people come to see us.  We are people friendly and we keep people happy.

As far as talking "tips"...  It would bring in more business..

If you meant taking "tips"... well the boss even holds tips for me when someone leaves them there when I am off..

maybe not bad for business - but dishonest as all hell.  if my store did that - i'd never see them again and would report them.

love to nibble those micey feet.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:50 am - IP Logged

maybe not bad for business - but dishonest as all hell.  if my store did that - i'd never see them again and would report them.

It is really which side of the table you are sitting on whether or not you find it dishonest..

Nothing is dishonest about answering questions asked about customers..

The people I talk with ask.. "What would you buy if you were playing?"  I answer... and a lot of them do...

Why don't you try it the next time you play the "game"..?  Ask the people, if you were going to spend $10.. what would you choose..

If they find you a friendly customer.. (tip or no tip)  They will make a suggestion..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31347 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:56 am - IP Logged

It is really which side of the table you are sitting on whether or not you find it dishonest..

Nothing is dishonest about answering questions asked about customers..

The people I talk with ask.. "What would you buy if you were playing?"  I answer... and a lot of them do...

Why don't you try it the next time you play the "game"..?  Ask the people, if you were going to spend $10.. what would you choose..

If they find you a friendly customer.. (tip or no tip)  They will make a suggestion..

at the store i play - they save my slips to play.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

It must not be bad for business..

We are among the top 5 for the state of TN.  (in lotto sales.. tickets..)  This is one reason people come to see us.  We are people friendly and we keep people happy.

As far as talking "tips"...  It would bring in more business..

If you meant taking "tips"... well the boss even holds tips for me when someone leaves them there when I am off..

Yes NodDon't try to pass it off to your boss.  But I can understand the camaraderie you must have with these folks because -don't you live in a very small deep south border town. 

I have a friend who is from Morganton NC and I visited with her family and friends. I must say I had to admire those folks.  We're talking one radio station and no TV Station and one movie theatre.  You knew the people names that worked in the stores.

Nothing was happening but they were so use to nothing happening that they had this unspoken thing that gave a feeling that everything was happen.  A sense of humor connected to stating the obvious.  ROFLYou got notions of big happening.  It was so cool they way they did it.

You knew it weren't a damn thing going on but you didn't feel it.

takeemtothebank

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

All this tipping stuff is part of the underground economy in this country, it's estimated to be in the trillion range, if everybody reported everything, the IRS,govt. would be awash and flush beyond anybodys wildest dreams.  But the reality is, people do anything they can to minimize their exposure to levies, taxes, tariffs etc., I mean just the undocumented workers account for just a fraction, where does all this come from?  Capitalism.  Opportunity.  Freedom.  Altruism.  It is why this country is the destination of millions from all over the world, a place where ambition can get you somewhere, a place where there is no oppression, word of mouth travels well.  In those countries where the media portrays this country unfairly, they find out the truth when they get here and see for themselves we're not at all like what they see and hear. It is the greatest place on earth. 

GC jarasan

GC = Go Capitalism.

awwcrap's avatar - moon
                    ky
                    United States
                    Member #37768
                    April 19, 2006
                    90 Posts
                    Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't worry about what others are thinking.  I especially wouldn't worry about my judgement of you or anybody else.........if the storeclerk gives you grief over spending money  on lottery, etc,  pick your nose in front of the clerk and then give your moneyStooges

Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4053 Posts
                      Posted: November 19, 2006, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Lurking

takeemtothebank

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3047 Posts
                        Posted: November 19, 2006, 12:55 am - IP Logged

When I lived in Willamina, Or.  I bought scratch-its every month for years at this store in Sheridan, Or the next town over because of their friendly service and their knowledge of operating the lottery terminal.  But two years before I move to Eugene, Or I stopped purchasing lottery their because I had figured out that the clerks were allowed to play the lottery games on their shift.  So they would watch the scratch-it players like me and others come in and they would follow the rolls and then jump in and buy when they thought it was due for a hit.  They won more than I did and those are the same clerks that would give me advice about playing scratch-its.  Which had nothing to do with if I tipped or not.  The last straw was when I found out that one of the clerks hit for a large prize will she was at work.  I thought to myself something is not right about them playing will they work so I stayed in Willamina for scratch-its after that.  Point is those clerks were out to help themselves no one else.-weshar75

Charlotte NC
                          United States
                          Member #17406
                          June 18, 2005
                          4053 Posts
                          Posted: November 19, 2006, 1:19 am - IP Logged

That's why I don't buy scratch off.

takeemtothebank

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: November 19, 2006, 7:02 am - IP Logged

i haven't played a scratch off in a long long time i like playing the numbers games.tell me the numbers tonight,lol.i need to get all the clerks together so they can tell me whats going to hit on the pick 4....prefer a straight if possible.will negotiate at point of sale.....Naughty

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: November 19, 2006, 8:42 am - IP Logged

When I lived in Willamina, Or.  I bought scratch-its every month for years at this store in Sheridan, Or the next town over because of their friendly service and their knowledge of operating the lottery terminal.  But two years before I move to Eugene, Or I stopped purchasing lottery their because I had figured out that the clerks were allowed to play the lottery games on their shift.  So they would watch the scratch-it players like me and others come in and they would follow the rolls and then jump in and buy when they thought it was due for a hit.  They won more than I did and those are the same clerks that would give me advice about playing scratch-its.  Which had nothing to do with if I tipped or not.  The last straw was when I found out that one of the clerks hit for a large prize will she was at work.  I thought to myself something is not right about them playing will they work so I stayed in Willamina for scratch-its after that.  Point is those clerks were out to help themselves no one else.-weshar75

This I have seen, in one particular On the Run, the people working the registers and lottery scratching away at a particular game.  Another thing they do is when there is a promotion on package or something like that they take all the sticky things that are on the packages, customers don't get to play. This place is the exception to the rule in the area I'm in,  but when you mentioned it, it struck a chord, it never dawned on me since I don't play scratchies often, what they were up to.

LOL jarasan Turkey

PS. Someone who plays scratchies a lot, told me, look at the serial numbers and try to get them ending in 0. 

Page 6 of 10