Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you won 10 Billion dollars..

Topic closed. 159 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 1 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

I was reading the LP news and i read that they plan to create a Global Super lottery...I didn't understand it quite well because i don't know if they were creating a lottery who main jackpot was 6 billion dollars (50 countries X 125 million dollars), or they were giving that amount of money in prizes, i wasn't sure, but it got me thinking, what would any of us LP members would do it they were to tell us that we won 10 billion dollars..(assume you won a Global lottery or something)...What would you do? i am more concern in knowing what changes will you try to make to your community...Me, my first thing on my do list will be to make every county of every country in Latin America (including the carribean) and Europe have 3 churches: Assembly of God; Church of God, and Pentacostal....I am calculating that this endeavor will cost me less than 250 million dollars....

Tell me what some of the things that will be on your Billionaire's do list...?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2007, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

i would buy the world

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2007, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

i would buy the world

Maybe if you had 10 quadrillion dollars you could.

(insert signature here)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2007, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Considering the 'Jack Whitaker' stories and others we've all read here, an amount like 10 billion is absolutely obscene.

Since so many people can't handle winning anything from a few millioon to hundreds of millions, 10 billion would probably send a lot of folks straight to the funny farm.

Remember when you laughed and said....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Well, one thing is for sure: I would not try to cram a lifestyle down peoples' throats, and that includes religion..... some things such as that are best left to the individual townships: they know what religion they are, and what religion they want, and you do not need a nice shiny building to promote it.

You simply cannot force a lifestyle on a society that does not want it, and has never had it, how dare we tell them they must live like us ?  All you can do is show people a better way of life, and if they choose to embrace it, fine.   Our prisons are full of people that chose not to be like average society, but it was their choice. 

IF I was going to do anything like that (churches), instead of that I would have several traveling medical clinics that come to the poorer parts of each region in South America and Africa.

And I would hope and pray the jackpot never got to 10 billion dollars, rest assured it NEVER would, as soon as it got to a billion dollars you would see syndicates come out of the woodwork and 'buy' several machines and crank out every combo possible, because all it would cost is 146 million dollars. Sounds like a decent payback to me.........

IMO no jackpot needs to ever be over 250 million dollars, in fact, if it did, I would pull TWO sets of numbers and spread the wealth. 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4527 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2007, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Give alot of it to the Bill Gates Foundation. The humanitarian causes that relieve illness's and work on finding resolution to these third world diseases.

I'd go to our local children hospital and payoff every medical bill outstanding for these kids. The parents sometimes mortgage their houses...those would get paid off so the kids have a HOME to return to.

Id go to animal shelters and spare the ones set to be euthanized.

Naturallly every friend and family member that touched my life in times of need would be well taken care of. Those that were foes would also receive gifts! My foes deserve a gift because they taught  some hard lessons and I have wonderful ideas how to PAY that back :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Sunny California
              United States
              Member #40295
              May 31, 2006
              7712 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2007, 9:37 am - IP Logged

It's funny how the "amount" keeps rising here on the LP,haha. We've been asked what we would do if you won a few million, now we're up to the billions!

Most of us would probably freak out winning a MILLION so it's hard for me to even fathom a BILLION.

Aside from being able to help people and animals in need (which,of course is ALL good), you could make every dream you ever had come true.......but is that a good thing? How boring would life be without your dreams? To me?  Sleep

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

guesser

"And I would hope and pray the jackpot never got to 10 billion dollars, rest assured it NEVER would, as soon as it got to a billion dollars you would see syndicates come out of the woodwork and 'buy' several machines and crank out every combo possible, because all it would cost is 146 million dollars. Sounds like a decent payback to me........."

Darn good point guesser.  I'm pretty sure no lottery would offer 10 billion when 146,000,000 combos would secure the jackpot - or if it did it would be split by a lot of already wealthy people. 

Considering that, if there was such a prize I hate to think what the matrix would be. A lot of people couldn't wait for Califronia to join Mega Millions and now look.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2007, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Hard to say..

I would be shocked.

I would give lots to education...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2007, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Agree with Tntea.  Shock is definitely the word!  The whole concept is too large to handle.  I can't possibly answer that question.  Most of us truly have no idea what we'd do if we won even $50 million.  Just one billion is 1,000 million. 

Anyway, I think smaller jackpots are better.  If I win the $42 million Florida jackpot tonight, that will certainly be enough money to last me for the rest of my life.  How I take it would be a tough decision, but I'll manage! lol $1.4M for 30 years or $23 million cash.  In any case, after taxes I would have enough money to live a very comfortable life and help a lot of people.

Sometimes I think I'd like to be "hands on" and work with a charity, but for me that wouldn't be the most important thing, as long as I knew the money was being spent responsibly. I don't need to build my own foundation or have my name on a building.  I've always liked St. Jude's hospital and the Hole in The Wall Camps.  Guesser, interesting that you wrote that comment about the traveling medical clinics. I agree. One of the saddest shows I've ever seen on TV was about the group of plastic surgeons that travels to Third World countries to fix cleft palates and other facial deformities in children.  In some countries these children are shunned and kept in the dark, because they are considered to be demons. Each year they have to turn away so many children.  Once I saw a show about a man in a small Mexican town who had a huge tumor on his face. He spent his whole life only going out after dark so the people wouldn't scream with horror.  He was flown to the United States and had several operations, since they were each so delicate. More recently a 14 year old girl in Haiti was flown to Miami a year ago.  When I saw her on the local news I cried.  She's still here in Florida.  Just recently she said her first 2 words in 6 years. "Thank you."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/14/health/main1124664.shtml

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2007, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

If I won 10 billion the 1st thing I'd do is fill my car up with gas.......

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2007, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

"And I would hope and pray the jackpot never got to 10 billion dollars, rest assured it NEVER would, as soon as it got to a billion dollars you would see syndicates come out of the woodwork and 'buy' several machines and crank out every combo possible, because all it would cost is 146 million dollars. Sounds like a decent payback to me........."

While theoretically possible, the odds against reaching 10 billion with the current PB or MM odds are practically infinite. As far as syndicates trying to buy all of the combinations, that's also a practical impossibility. Even if you could get the machines to never print duplicate combinations, you'd need to generate about 450 combinations every second, and that simply isn't going to happen.

I'm also skeptical that a syndicate would take the gamble even for an enormous jackpot. If they miss 10% of th ecombinations there's a 10% chance that they'll lose about 70% of their investment. There's also the realistic chnaces that if one syndicte could get awin others could, too, offering the chance to win and still lose money. Nobody who can afford to invest $150 million is likely to take that risk.

"IMO no jackpot needs to ever be over 250 million dollars, in fact, if it did, I would pull TWO sets of numbers and spread the wealth. "

Deliberately passing up a chance to let a big jackpot roll would guarantee passing on a chance to make million in higher ticket sales, and thta just isn't going to happen. There's also the risk of significantly diluting a jackpot by getting several winners. That's another way to  reduce ticket sales.

The ideas on how to spend 10 billion should tell you that most people don't see a need to artificially limit the size of  jackpot. $250 million offered as an annuity may "only" be$70 million as a lump sum after taxes .  I can't really imagine spending that much on all of my friends and family, but  if I had a single billion to work with I could  find charitable uses for $70 million every year.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2007, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

Floyd, you need to go do some homework on syndicates winning the lottery, it HAS happened. 

And as far as my comment about splitting the lottery, I said 'If it was me...', but it's not me, and I am fully aware of the frenzy that cooks up when the jackpot heads over 200 million, and the marketing prospects the high dollar amount generates, but as I said: 'If it was me...'.

I also think it's rather funny that we are nitpicking over an absurd amount of money that it would be for most of us - 70 mill, 250 mill, a billion, when most of us here would be pretty happy with just $10,000, let alone $200,000 or a million.   Sure, I'm like everyone else: I'd love to bag a million or two, or three, but I would also be happy with $200,000 or $10,000 because that would be a substantial improvement over the $100 I get about once every 6 weeks.... 

Yes, I am aiming for the jackpot, but indirectly I aim for the 5 WB's first, and if I happen to bag the red ball, that's great, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS - I wrote the above post prior to reading all the posts since the one I made yesterday, it is enlightening to see a lot of us on the 'same  page', where our hearts are in the same places. I do wish I could save every animal that is set to be euthanized, it absolutely KILLS me to go to the Humane Society and see so many charming cats I'd love to have in addition to the ones I already have, but you somehow have to draw a line somewhere. 

I see the signs in each window saying 'Ive been here since mm/dd', and it just destroys me to know that the ones that have been there the longest may not be there next week....... to the point I almost don't like going there anymore....

I won't give to a charity unless I personally am involved with it, because I have seen (and we have all read about) charities we all thought were above-board, only to find out they are not. I want to SEE how the board members work, if I am not a board member myself.

I want to SEE how the 'officers' of the charity live, and what they do. If I see an officer driving a caddy or mercedes, or living in a mcmansion, they don't get my money. If I see them taking business trips to Las Vegas or Honolulu, they don't get my money. 

I'd like to give some college 'scholarships' - I want to see your grades: you don't keep up, you don't get my money. I'm more than willing to help people out, but I want to SEE you are serious in your endeavors and not coasting through life on a free ride.  I wrote the book on free rides in college, and I regret it to this day. 

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2007, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd, i am interested in know what do you mean when you said: "you'd need to generate about 450 combinations every second, and that simply isn't going to happen."

Could you explain that sentenced better for me please, thanks you...

I do believe what you say when you said: "If they miss 10% of th ecombinations there's a 10% chance that they'll lose about 70% of their investment...Also" Nobody who can afford to invest $150 million is likely to take that risk."

Something i didn't think about and that you mentioned was the jackpot rollover..I can't contemplate a lottery that rolls over to 15 or 20 billion dollars...

I think a billion dollar lottery is going to be like pick30 out of 150 possible numbers...LOL...

And if they create a billion dollar lottery we will then see movies made about the lottery or people trying to crack it..

Entertaiment Capital
                              United States
                              Member #37800
                              April 19, 2006
                              302 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2007, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I'll hire people to find some really good movie scripts. There are thousands of screenplays that are submitted to Hollywood every year. Some of them got to be good, regardless of their commerical value. 

Then I'll hire really reliable people, including actors who proved themselves in theatres to make some really good movies, although they are not much of commerical attractions. 

I really want to make some historical movies, many of them set in Ancient Egypt and Middle East.

I can also hire good screenwriters to adapt some of the best Sci-fi novels into screenplays. Or I can hire some good novelists from the beginning and have the write novels from my inspirations. I really want to make movies about religions and extraterrestrials.

Page 1 of 11