Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you won 10 Billion dollars..

Topic closed. 159 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 2 of 11
PrintE-mailLink
Thoth's avatar - binary
Findlay, Ohio
United States
Member #4855
May 28, 2004
400 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Hmm 10 billion dollars?  Thats 10,000 million...I could handle that, I think lol.

I would have to split up at least one billion between family and close friends...maybe a whole billion to my son...that is, after he turns 21 (maybe even later) and certain goals and accomplishments were met by him....That much money in the hads of someone so young may only lead to their own destruction, so they must learn the value of money first.

Just because you have 10 billion doesnt mean that you would have spend it all in your own lifetime.  After all, you would want to have enough money to sustain whatever life you try to live with it...and for me that would be a few huge mansions, a yacht and a few nice sports cars.......Oh yea, and my own private night club and a harem of much younger women lol.

Lots of people want to give to one charity or another, Im not really one of them.  Not that I'm selfish, but I'd rather try to start up dozens of small to mid sized businesses...ones that actually give the workers a fair cut of the pie they help create.  That would be my charity as far as my community is concerned.

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

San Diego
    United States
    Member #49197
    January 23, 2007
    18 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2007, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

The sheer numbers of people playing would make a pick-6 type lottery ineffective. They would have to go to a pick-8 or pick-10, right?

What would the matrix look like?

8 out of 8 = $5,000,000,000

7 out of 8 = $250,000,000

6 out of 8 = $10,000,000

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

I wonder how many people know this..: that Bill Gates been billionaire as he is, said ( i saw this on TV) that he wasn't going to let his kids heirs his vast wealth, but instead he was going to give each of his kids 10 million dollars..And they would have to fend for themselves after that...

Ambelamba: I too would make new sci-fi movies but big budget movies..I would make the sci-fi books into movies...There hasn't been a movie about space that are really good, i am talking about traveling to another planet finding dificult and challenging the environment and then with luck heading home...Supernova and pitch-black weren't all that good..Supernova was a bit ok but not that good...

I would also pay to remake the movie: "The Fountain" with hugh Jackman..I would change the queen the bubble, and some other stuff i didn't like about the movie....

"More important than winning the state's lotteries is the movie "Red Planet.."..."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2007, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I'll hire people to find some really good movie scripts. There are thousands of screenplays that are submitted to Hollywood every year. Some of them got to be good, regardless of their commerical value. 

Then I'll hire really reliable people, including actors who proved themselves in theatres to make some really good movies, although they are not much of commerical attractions. 

I really want to make some historical movies, many of them set in Ancient Egypt and Middle East.

I can also hire good screenwriters to adapt some of the best Sci-fi novels into screenplays. Or I can hire some good novelists from the beginning and have the write novels from my inspirations. I really want to make movies about religions and extraterrestrials.

If you want to lose money so fast, why don't you sponsor a whole bunch of racing car teams, or a Formula One team ?

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
          Albany,Georgia
          United States
          Member #45615
          August 24, 2006
          2135 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2007, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

I would still be plain ole me cool and quite I don't need the public making a fuss over me !!

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
            Albuquerque, New Mexico
            United States
            Member #5128
            June 18, 2004
            377 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2007, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Bill Gates' heirs who will receive $10 million -- are still fortunate!  There are many of us who would almost kill for that gift!

If, on the other hand, they invest the money wisely (and who is a better mentor than their father), that $10 million will multiply ten-fold or more!

Finally, if I won $10 billion (and I have no husband, no children, no brothers, or sisters), my money would be left to:

1.  ASPCA -- the dogs would howl in gratitude!

2.  Episcopal schools/churches, USA.

...and that's all, folks!

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2007, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I like the comments regarding charities.
              My favorite charity is anything animal related.

Reading Guesser's comments makes me sad about the poor cats and dogs at the shelters that await euthanasia. I agree 100%.

I would have a gigantic farm where all the animals no one wanted could come and live out their lives in peace. 10 billion dollars would handle that just fine...
              DD

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

The first thing I would do is Puke

Then after the Feds And state got their 9 billion in taxes I might spend some of it. Thud

WHATT

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

dphillips

Finally, if I won $10 billion (and I have no husband, no children, no brothers, or sisters), my money would be left to:

1.  ASPCA -- the dogs would howl in gratitude!

2.  Episcopal schools/churches, USA.

...and that's all, folks!

It is meet and right so to do! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2007, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

After i had lobby governments around the world to implement easy lotteries, lotteries like 4/25, 5/25, 4/30, 5/28, 6/25, 6/22, etc and after, I made math books be easier than what they are with more example, getting rid of the conciseness of books, and make them trully for dummies or should i say for babies by talking to publishers and book writers/authors. After i done this i would do the following:

I don't know if any of you knew this but I am black...This is one of several things i would do...I would do my best to improve the black people around the world..LIke i would donate to the Negro college funds, the organization in charge of poor black kids in Southamerica (like Brazil & Colombia, Panama, Peru, etc)...[but you should know that i am again certain things the Negro college fund do, like they help some blacks to go to Harvard, Yale, UCLA, etc and i am against that, because is good to dream but once you wan to go to Harvard and Yale, you getting ahead of even other people and if you want to go to Harvard, you don't need help from other people, you go to harvard or yale because your parents can afford it]...Black people are the kinds of people mostly discrimanted against and the kind of people that live the worse...God knows i try to be impartial about race but only He would know why i would be doing this...I would also help Africa's youth extensively, like building universities in Africa, helping with scholarships and I would try and help African's already living in other foreign countries...And i would try and help certain kinds of women (not all women need help)....I know that black people have the image of been thugs or mean but i would do my best to change that....

I would offer several reward of millions of dollar (like 25 million) for any scientist or smart genius that could tell me how we can fix the problems that Africa's has (not talking political problems)....I would set up (if is legal), a center in every latin American country that's dedicated to helping young black people with low resources get into college...I'll love to see more black doctors, lawyers, athletes, etc, And if i can do all this and still have a lot of money (still 70% of my money), i would then do the same thing for people from India...

I would also help the Smartest KId in the world with a college scholarship...I would also, fund some black people that want to run for President in Latin American Countries..Guys I am sorry but in the U.S I rather see 20 successful billionaires (with at least 10 billion each after taxes and the keyword here is sucessful) than to see 1 black president but that's just me, i could be wrong...Now in central America, yes i would like to see black presidents...Who controls the U.S, is not the president, is the richest families in America...And A billionaires family can sponsor presidential runs for blacks anytime they wish and with time get lucky not only here in the States but in Third world countries, thus become the pride of the black race...But if we can have a black president in the U.S, alleluia...And finaly that's what i would do with my 10 billion dollars; improve the black race around the world...If you go to Latin America, you would know that you would never see a chinese or jew begging on the streets..Wonder why? because they take care of their own people....

If you all think i said something wrong please let me know, i appreciate feedback..

sincerely,

michael

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2007, 1:49 am - IP Logged

"Floyd, you need to go do some homework on syndicates winning the lottery, it HAS happened. "

Do tell. I know that syndicates have made several attempts, but as far as I know none has ever been successful. The first attempt I'm aware of was in NY  around the late 80's when somebody called the lottery department and tried to simply pay for every combination and was refused. Perhaps 10 years ago some outfit got a supermarket chain to print an enormous number of tickets (presumably QP's). IIRC they won a fair number of lower tier prizes and lost a bunch of money.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2007, 2:07 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd, i am interested in know what do you mean when you said: "you'd need to generate about 450 combinations every second, and that simply isn't going to happen."

Could you explain that sentenced better for me please, thanks you...

I do believe what you say when you said: "If they miss 10% of th ecombinations there's a 10% chance that they'll lose about 70% of their investment...Also" Nobody who can afford to invest $150 million is likely to take that risk."

Something i didn't think about and that you mentioned was the jackpot rollover..I can't contemplate a lottery that rolls over to 15 or 20 billion dollars...

I think a billion dollar lottery is going to be like pick30 out of 150 possible numbers...LOL...

And if they create a billion dollar lottery we will then see movies made about the lottery or people trying to crack it..

With two drawings a week there are 3 and 4 days between  drawings, meaning there are about 70 and 90 hours in which to buy tickets between drawings. As a practical matter there will be even less time between knowing that the jackpot has rolled over and the cutoff for buying tickets, but generating all 145 million possible combinations for PB in 90 hours would require generating 450 unique combinations every second. If each machine could print a ticket with 5 plays every second it woud take 90 machines to print 450 combinations per second. Of course that's based on all 90 machines pumping out tickets every second of the whole 90 hours without pausing. It would also require that all 90 machines be programmed to  generate specific combinations, rather than randomly generating them as they are designed to do. 

As far as a jackpot rolling over to the billion dollar mark, while possible, it's extremely unlikely with the current games. So far we've only made it about 1/3 or the way there.  Based on what we've seen so far with PB and MM, a game with odds of 1 in 400,000,000 could hit the billion dollar mark (as an annuity, of course) every few years. You could do that with something along the lines of 5 of 62 plus a 1 of 60 bonus ball.

A game requiring you to match 30 out of 150 numbers would have odds so high that even if every person on the planet played $1000 on every drawing for the next million years the odds of a single jackpot ever being won are still far steeper than PB or MM odds for a single ticket.

dumars798's avatar - batman17
                          Atlanta
                          United States
                          Member #28656
                          December 20, 2005
                          5675 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2007, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Retire, n help others in need!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10345 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2007, 2:53 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd

Didn't a syndicate once hit the Virginia lottery?  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: February 12, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I think it was 3-4 years ago an Australian Syndicate spent around 7 million dollars and won the jackpot - but it was only around 20 million they won. There are a lot of things you can do to rule out 'impossible' combinations (I know, I know: nothing is 'impossible'), and that would eliminate a few million combinations.

Pumpi: while I admire your intentions, I would only put money into something I could personally have a hand in. You said you didn't like some things the UNCF does, and likewise I don't like quite a few of the things the United Way does. I really hope I don't touch any nerves here, but I think of the billions or even trillions we (as a world) have put into cancer research, and I don't think we are much closer to solving that puzzle than we were 20 years ago. It does make me wonder... and yes, I have lost family members to cancer.

On one hand, I would love to fund a gym that is open 24 hrs for kids to congregate at and get involved in things, but on the other hand, no kid needs to be in a gym at 3 am - or even midnight, where are the parents ?   Either one of them ?  And if you are open at 3 am, you are probably the ONLY place that is open at 3 am, and that leads to bad elements hanging around and causing trouble.

I'm all for funding student loans, I've said that here a million times: show me a kid that WANTS an education, and there will be money for them. I paid for my own education, so I don't believe in totally free handouts.  You show me great grades, or better yet, you show me how you have done in medical research, and I may forgive your student loan debt, or part of it. Show me something you are actively doing to make the world a better place, and I will think highly of you, education-wise, and you will be rewarded.

I think to fund 'easy' lotteries is misguided, and defeats the purpose. Why don't I just think of a number, and if you guess it, I will give you $100 ?

Anyway, you cannot just pour money on something and think it will fix it, no matter what it is, the world generally does not work that way.  

Page 2 of 11