Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you won 10 Billion dollars..

Topic closed. 159 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 6 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2007, 12:25 am - IP Logged

I would also put an inordinate amount of free lottos that would give out as a jackpot scholarships for college, some graduate school and others college and graduate school...For college there would be up to 6 years, and graduate school up to 4 years and paying different amount of money...And the scholarships could be transferred from Parent to son....And there would be perhaps 1 scholarship per household...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."          "She is so rare...." 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31362 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I would also put an inordinate amount of free lottos that would give out as a jackpot scholarships for college, some graduate school and others college and graduate school...For college there would be up to 6 years, and graduate school up to 4 years and paying different amount of money...And the scholarships could be transferred from Parent to son....And there would be perhaps 1 scholarship per household...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."          "She is so rare...." 

Parent to son....

why leave daughters out?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2007, 2:56 am - IP Logged

emilyg

When i say Parent to son i mean Parent to kid....I usually get that word confused...I usually use that word to mean parent to kid....

Lastly, I would set up an inordinate amount of free lotteries for Indians (what you call native american) of all the Americas continent (the continent not the country)...Among those free lotteries there would be lotteries that give free scholarships like how i previously mentioned.....

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."          "She is so rare..."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2007, 3:42 am - IP Logged

We need to find whoever the people are that are supplying your habit and cut them off at the knees...

A scholarship 'lottery' ?

How about a scholarship based on 1) need, and then a very close 2) merit ?

Why limit one per household ?   If two, three, four or more are deserving from one household, why not consider all ?

You keep saying 'free' on EVERYTHING, but nothing is 'free', it is 'earned'.

Have you ever been to college?  Did you graduate from college ?  (I'm guessing yes and no, or no and no)  Anyone that went to college can't POSSIBLY think the way you do. To 'give' someone 6 years to graduate is nuts - serious students do it in 4 years - or less. If someone did indeed take 6 years, that's 2 years longer than normal - and therefore 2 years where they have no earning power in the real world. Depending on your field, that translates to anywhere from $70,000 to possibly $200,000 (for 2 years).

Man, I would HATE to be a needy person willing to work their a$$ off to go to college, only to find someone that is half-a$$ed and is not a serious student 'win' a scholarship purely by luck of the draw...

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2007, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I'd buy a modest $2-5 million dollar home (all steel framed) in NJ, NY, PA, MD, VA, GA, CO, CA, MT, and TX.  I'd also buy a modest $2-5 million dollar home in London.  That would cost me a mere $75-80 million dollars.  

I'd buy a multi-acre parcel of land behind my main home and put a luxury garage that could hold all the cars I want in it in style which are: Overfinch Range Rover Sport, Overfinch Range Rover 580 S Vogue, Audi S8, Ferrari F430 (Stick shift, F1, & Spyder versions), Lamborghini Murcielago, Lamborghini Gallardo, BMW X5 (for the wife), Bentley Continental GT (Mulliner), Bentley Arnage (Mulliner), Maclaren F1, Zonda Pagini, TVR Sagaris, TVR Typhon, TVR Griffith, RUF Porsche, R34 Nissan Skyline GTR VspecII, Mitsubishi EVO 8, Subaru WRX STi, H1 Hummer, Corvette C06, FORG GTX, Dodge Viper, Lotus Exige, And Bugatti Veyron.  (what can I say, I love cars!)  This would probably cost me roughly $30 million including insurance.

I'd also buy every Masonic Lodge in my state a new Lodge and a new Grand Lodge too.  That would probably run me about $300 million @ $5 million per lodge.  I'd give $500 million to various charities that I like.  (Damn, I still haven't broke $1 billion yet!)

I'd give the 12 people on my share list $150 million each (i'd take care of the taxes because i'd make it back in interest alone!).  I'd also give the people that I am friends with at my job $5 million each after taxes (about 60 people).  That would cost me roughly $3.128 billion. 

I'd then mirror Oprah's endeavor and build an all boys school near her all girls school in South Africa.  That would cost me about $80 million and another possible $300 million to pay the graduates way through college.  (I'm now at about $3.5 billion!)

I'd then clean up the city I grew up and try to make positive change there.  I would spend $1 billion on that alone.

I'd keep the remaining $5.5 billion.  I'd bank $4 billion and invest the other $1.5 billion. I think that is pretty generous. 

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Other than 'because I can', why would you buy 11 homes ?

Likewise for cars ?  You must not like cars at all; but you must love garage queens.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2007, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Other than 'because I can', why would you buy 11 homes ?

Likewise for cars ?  You must not like cars at all; but you must love garage queens.

Because I love residential architecture and would want a different style home in all my favorite states.  And as for cars, I LOVE cars.  I LOVE driving.  I would most likely drive ALL my cars equally.  I wouldn't buy those cars just to have them sit in a garage and look nice.  I'd be out cruising the roads each day in a different car. 

The only car on that list that I really would only buy if I were a Billionaire would be the Bugatti Veyron and only then because I had that much money.  I'd wouldn't take none of these cars out to drive crazy though.  I'd drive them just like I drive my 2004 Honda Accord now.  I have been into cars and residential architecture since I was about 10 years old.  I used to be extremely fluent in Autocad.  I used to design luxury residential floorplans all the time for fun (usually between 5000-12,000 sq ft).  I wish I could find my old designs from when I was in school.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2007, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

We need to find whoever the people are that are supplying your habit and cut them off at the knees...

A scholarship 'lottery' ?

How about a scholarship based on 1) need, and then a very close 2) merit ?

Why limit one per household ?   If two, three, four or more are deserving from one household, why not consider all ?

You keep saying 'free' on EVERYTHING, but nothing is 'free', it is 'earned'.

Have you ever been to college?  Did you graduate from college ?  (I'm guessing yes and no, or no and no)  Anyone that went to college can't POSSIBLY think the way you do. To 'give' someone 6 years to graduate is nuts - serious students do it in 4 years - or less. If someone did indeed take 6 years, that's 2 years longer than normal - and therefore 2 years where they have no earning power in the real world. Depending on your field, that translates to anywhere from $70,000 to possibly $200,000 (for 2 years).

Man, I would HATE to be a needy person willing to work their a$$ off to go to college, only to find someone that is half-a$$ed and is not a serious student 'win' a scholarship purely by luck of the draw...

Good one Felix the cat...

ROFL

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2007, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I'd buy a modest $2-5 million dollar home (all steel framed) in NJ, NY, PA, MD, VA, GA, CO, CA, MT, and TX.  I'd also buy a modest $2-5 million dollar home in London.  That would cost me a mere $75-80 million dollars.  

I'd buy a multi-acre parcel of land behind my main home and put a luxury garage that could hold all the cars I want in it in style which are: Overfinch Range Rover Sport, Overfinch Range Rover 580 S Vogue, Audi S8, Ferrari F430 (Stick shift, F1, & Spyder versions), Lamborghini Murcielago, Lamborghini Gallardo, BMW X5 (for the wife), Bentley Continental GT (Mulliner), Bentley Arnage (Mulliner), Maclaren F1, Zonda Pagini, TVR Sagaris, TVR Typhon, TVR Griffith, RUF Porsche, R34 Nissan Skyline GTR VspecII, Mitsubishi EVO 8, Subaru WRX STi, H1 Hummer, Corvette C06, FORG GTX, Dodge Viper, Lotus Exige, And Bugatti Veyron.  (what can I say, I love cars!)  This would probably cost me roughly $30 million including insurance.

I'd also buy every Masonic Lodge in my state a new Lodge and a new Grand Lodge too.  That would probably run me about $300 million @ $5 million per lodge.  I'd give $500 million to various charities that I like.  (Damn, I still haven't broke $1 billion yet!)

I'd give the 12 people on my share list $150 million each (i'd take care of the taxes because i'd make it back in interest alone!).  I'd also give the people that I am friends with at my job $5 million each after taxes (about 60 people).  That would cost me roughly $3.128 billion. 

I'd then mirror Oprah's endeavor and build an all boys school near her all girls school in South Africa.  That would cost me about $80 million and another possible $300 million to pay the graduates way through college.  (I'm now at about $3.5 billion!)

I'd then clean up the city I grew up and try to make positive change there.  I would spend $1 billion on that alone.

I'd keep the remaining $5.5 billion.  I'd bank $4 billion and invest the other $1.5 billion. I think that is pretty generous. 

Are you a Mason? You should already be rich...LOL

You've got it down to a science.

Keep up the positive attitude....

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #50273
                    March 3, 2007
                    348 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Are you a Mason? You should already be rich...LOL

You've got it down to a science.

Keep up the positive attitude....

Yes I am a Mason.  And thanx for the positive words!

United States
                      Member #10720
                      January 23, 2005
                      933 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2007, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

First off I hate to speculate on what the odds would be for the jackpot OR the cost of a ticket. Either would have to be significant. The first thing I'd do after paying 3 billion in taxes is to payoff the old jalopy and get a Jeep or some vehicle to deal with the rotten winter. I'd payoff the debts of the people who helped me in the past. Then I'd put most of it in safe investments and some of it in stocks so I'd have something to do other than watching TV all day. A few projects I would want to think about are 1. build an intelligent robot and 2. find a way for a human mind to be stored in a computer. With that much $ I'd have the time to at least try.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2007, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

First off I hate to speculate on what the odds would be for the jackpot OR the cost of a ticket. Either would have to be significant. The first thing I'd do after paying 3 billion in taxes is to payoff the old jalopy and get a Jeep or some vehicle to deal with the rotten winter. I'd payoff the debts of the people who helped me in the past. Then I'd put most of it in safe investments and some of it in stocks so I'd have something to do other than watching TV all day. A few projects I would want to think about are 1. build an intelligent robot and 2. find a way for a human mind to be stored in a computer. With that much $ I'd have the time to at least try.

find a way for a human mind to be stored in a computer. With that much $ I'd have the time to at least try.

About 12 years ago I read that a replication of what the brain can do, built like a computer, would have to be the size of the Empire State building and would cost a million bucks a day in electricity to run it.

Very interesting..

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2007, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Because I love residential architecture and would want a different style home in all my favorite states.  And as for cars, I LOVE cars.  I LOVE driving.  I would most likely drive ALL my cars equally.  I wouldn't buy those cars just to have them sit in a garage and look nice.  I'd be out cruising the roads each day in a different car. 

The only car on that list that I really would only buy if I were a Billionaire would be the Bugatti Veyron and only then because I had that much money.  I'd wouldn't take none of these cars out to drive crazy though.  I'd drive them just like I drive my 2004 Honda Accord now.  I have been into cars and residential architecture since I was about 10 years old.  I used to be extremely fluent in Autocad.  I used to design luxury residential floorplans all the time for fun (usually between 5000-12,000 sq ft).  I wish I could find my old designs from when I was in school.

10 billion before or after taxes ?  If before, you will end up with 4.6 billion after. 

Without going into the details of me, let me tell you I know a few dozen people that are in a position to own 11 homes in 11 cities, in fact some of them have owned 5-6 homes in 5-6 different cities - ALL of these folks have narrowed it down to just 2 homes - winter and summer.

Why ?

Because they spend more of their own personal time keeping up with the homes -or- travelling between them than they do actually living in them.  Sure, they have 'keepers' to mow the lawns, etc., but that seemed to diminish the fun of having multiple homes.  These folks have stayed where they are: the northern plains, and most of them have 'winter' homes - in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson (2), Breckenridge, San Diego, Mobile, Orlando area, Austin, South Padre, and so on.  Their kids, relatives and friends spend more time in these second homes than they do.

Cars.

I know of several people that have had 4-12 'super cars', and they ALL end up favoring ONE of them to drive 85% of the time, but usually drive a 'normal' BMW, Mercedes or Toyota as a daily driver, 2 of the guys have simple GMC and Ford pickup trucks.  If you say you would drive them all equally, you'd be the first person on earth that ever did that. Knowing what I know about the Veyron, I'd never own one in a million years.

Also, some of these folks either own aircraft, lease aircraft, or have purchased fractional ownerships (NetJets), NONE of these folks do that anymore.  If they need to go somewhere in a hurry (and the seldom do) they just call the airport and grab the next flight out, or they charter something.

I know 10 billion is fictitious - you can do all of the above and still have a ton left over, but I would find it more of a hassle - just like the folks mentioned above did. Just because they really did have 'money to burn', at some point you stop doing that, and your life becomes much less complicated. 

If I had 10 billion, I guarantee you I would build and fund a couple of free children's hospitals such as St. Judes.

Quite honestly, I'd set aside 10-15 million for me to live on, and I would squander all the rest on worthy projects. 

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2007, 9:49 am - IP Logged

10 billion before or after taxes ?  If before, you will end up with 4.6 billion after. 

Without going into the details of me, let me tell you I know a few dozen people that are in a position to own 11 homes in 11 cities, in fact some of them have owned 5-6 homes in 5-6 different cities - ALL of these folks have narrowed it down to just 2 homes - winter and summer.

Why ?

Because they spend more of their own personal time keeping up with the homes -or- travelling between them than they do actually living in them.  Sure, they have 'keepers' to mow the lawns, etc., but that seemed to diminish the fun of having multiple homes.  These folks have stayed where they are: the northern plains, and most of them have 'winter' homes - in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson (2), Breckenridge, San Diego, Mobile, Orlando area, Austin, South Padre, and so on.  Their kids, relatives and friends spend more time in these second homes than they do.

Cars.

I know of several people that have had 4-12 'super cars', and they ALL end up favoring ONE of them to drive 85% of the time, but usually drive a 'normal' BMW, Mercedes or Toyota as a daily driver, 2 of the guys have simple GMC and Ford pickup trucks.  If you say you would drive them all equally, you'd be the first person on earth that ever did that. Knowing what I know about the Veyron, I'd never own one in a million years.

Also, some of these folks either own aircraft, lease aircraft, or have purchased fractional ownerships (NetJets), NONE of these folks do that anymore.  If they need to go somewhere in a hurry (and the seldom do) they just call the airport and grab the next flight out, or they charter something.

I know 10 billion is fictitious - you can do all of the above and still have a ton left over, but I would find it more of a hassle - just like the folks mentioned above did. Just because they really did have 'money to burn', at some point you stop doing that, and your life becomes much less complicated. 

If I had 10 billion, I guarantee you I would build and fund a couple of free children's hospitals such as St. Judes.

Quite honestly, I'd set aside 10-15 million for me to live on, and I would squander all the rest on worthy projects. 

Well thats them.  I love all the cars I posted or I wouldn't have posted them (except the 2 mpg Veyron Wink).  I will give you that I prefer the Ferrari over the Lamborghini though (actually, the Murcielago is the first Lambo that I have ever really liked a lot!), but I would most likely still drive all equally.  Each one has its own purpose.  I love driving long distances in a nice handling car.  I am one of those that "feels" the experience of driving.  Now if I bought anyone of those cars and later didn't like it after spending some time with it, I would sell it.

The Ferrari's and other supercars would only get driven from 1st day of spring till last day of fall on sunny, dry days only and would be insured as such.  The Range Rovers would be my main vehicles for traveling long distances.  The Audi would be the "take the kids to school and bad weather" driver because of its superior 4wd and and bad weather handling.  

The Bentley's would be just for switching it up once every few days or weeks.  The Continental GT and Arnage would be my "business" cars that I drive to handle any business.  The STi and the EVO would be my "run to the store" cars.

As you notice, I didn't put any Mercedes in there because I just don't like their cars, not enough to buy one.  I dunno, I have always favored the BMW's over the Merc's.  Also, you don't see a RR Phantom, classic muscle car, mustang, or shelby on there because I don't really feel those cars.  (I may get a Chevelle and Charger though lol!)

I put cars on that list that I have been familiar with for a LONG time. 

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2007, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Once you own - or drive - them, you will change your mind.  I did.

I had this discussion with someone last week, unbeknownst to them I owned the 'performance car' we were discussing. I love it when people try to tell me my own business. 

Page 6 of 11