Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:01 am - IP Logged

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
    Member #28409
    December 15, 2005
    1198 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:09 am - IP Logged

finders' keepers., baby. Wink

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:14 am - IP Logged

If it wasn't signed on the back, then it's a keeper...

On the back it does state that whoever is in possesion of the ticket is the owner.

china
        United States
        Member #50326
        March 3, 2007
        33 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:35 am - IP Logged

If it wasn't signed on the back, then it's a keeper...

On the back it does state that whoever is in possesion of the ticket is the owner.

If it wasn't signed,I would consider it a blessing.In the past I did find a $10 mega millions ticket on the floor at the store and gave it to the store clerk at the terminal and did not even get a thank you,from then on I said never again any more tickets found will be mine.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:38 am - IP Logged

If it wasn't signed,I would consider it a blessing.In the past I did find a $10 mega millions ticket on the floor at the store and gave it to the store clerk at the terminal and did not even get a thank you,from then on I said never again any more tickets found will be mine.

wow. Didn't even say thank you?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Keeping it is my first option, but I also know that it would be a long time before I saw any of the cash.

First question at lottery HQ would be where did you purchase it ?

I found it- it is a bearer instrument.

Ruh roh.... get ready for a lot of people coming out of the woodwork with the

I lost it claim....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Let's flip the question:if I lost a winning ticket, do you think I would ever see it again? Nope.

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7713 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:26 am - IP Logged

If the store has cameras where it was purchased they may be able to piece together who it really belongs to. They will know anyway where it was bought from by the retailer number on the ticket. That's a tricky question. Sounds like it could wind up a very sticky situation especially if it was a huge winner. I'd turn it into the lottery office.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:43 am - IP Logged

This is a very tough question.  I guess it depends on where you desire to enjoy your riches - in this world or the next!  Seriously, most people are going to say "I'll keep it."  I want to say the same thing, but I might have trouble enjoying my money too.

I checked "call a lawyer" because he/she could do all the background checking on your behalf, without the Lottery Office knowing who found the ticket.  As others have written, you do need to know where the ticket was purchased.  In FL they always list where winning jackpot tickets were bought, but of course an instant ticket would be different.  I don't know how a court would rule on this matter, but I think the best thing would be to claim your legal right to the prize with good counseling.  On the other hand, if I dropped one of the tickets with the numbers I've played for over 12 years and someone turned it in, I'd be forever grateful.  So how can I be a hypocrite?  If it were worth millions as the question indicates, I think working something out where you get a percentage of the prize (half would be fair) might be best for everyone. 

We hear stories on the news about people who turn in money and think "he's crazy!"  Then I wonder if I had a child what I would tell her to do.  I could never tell a child to keep something that wasn't hers.  As I said at the beginning, this is a very tough call.  Legally, I think the ticket would be mine, however.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I think I would just keep it .. It would be a great conversation piece....

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I can't understand why it's difficult for people to make this decision. The person who lost the ticket has no way to prove he or she bought it unless they signed it.

Considering all the nutcases that would come to claim it, I wouldn't feel guilty one bit. If the person is clumsy for losing it, that's their problem. Again, whoever has the ticket in their possesion, LEGALLY has the right of ownership. There wouldn't be any court hearings or any need for a lawyer, it's cut and dry. That is why they wrote that rule in the back of the ticket in the first place.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8394 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged
                        on the back of Maryland's lottery tickets it says
                        Important information:  This ticket is a bearer instrument. Anyone possessing a winning ticket may claim the prize. -------- 

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Keep it of course! Besides, possession is nine tenths of the law!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                            Nova Scotia
                            Canada
                            Member #9934
                            December 27, 2004
                            891 Posts
                            Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:31 am - IP Logged

If I found a winning ticket. I would thank God. I'd be so happy, and do a lottery happy dance all the way to the lottery corporation.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19901 Posts
                              Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

It's unlikely I would ever find a winning ticket because I see lottery tickets discarded all the time and I never pick them up because I assume the player that discarded them checked them before throwing them away.  If I noticed someone dropping their lottery tickets or leaving them on the counter I would let them know, I wouldn't wait until they were out of sight and claim them as my own.

I assume anyone finding a winner ticket would claim it for themselves, no one goes around looking for and checking discarded lottery tickets for the benefits of others.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Page 1 of 13