Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I have looked through stacks of disguarded tickets.  I use to carry them home and use them as a pasttime.  The most I have ever found in a month was $456 ..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

lacie's avatar - radar
    jacksonville, fl.
    United States
    Member #19655
    August 3, 2005
    133 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Of course I'd keep and don't get in front of the limo I'd rent for me and all my rowdy friends as we head to the lottery office. We might even have some champagne to celabrate.

Tang's avatar - abstract
      Atlanta, Georgia
      United States
      Member #465
      July 9, 2002
      2209 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:57 am - IP Logged

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

Last Saturday, I found a MM ticket for Tuesday 22, 2007 on the floor in this gas station. If that ticket had been a winning ticket, I would've kept the money because the ticket wasn't signed.

Don't forget to flip those 6's/9's.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I would keep it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

It's unlikely I would ever find a winning ticket because I see lottery tickets discarded all the time and I never pick them up because I assume the player that discarded them checked them before throwing them away.  If I noticed someone dropping their lottery tickets or leaving them on the counter I would let them know, I wouldn't wait until they were out of sight and claim them as my own.

I assume anyone finding a winner ticket would claim it for themselves, no one goes around looking for and checking discarded lottery tickets for the benefits of others.

You make an excellent point RJOh.  I also never pick up a discarded ticket.  Maybe I should! 

Pac, you are right.  However, let me tell you a story.  Back in Saint Olaf...... I was at that 7-11 on the corner of Imperial Shores Blvd & Bonita Beach Road and handed the clerk my 4 cards with my regular numbers.  It was a busy night.  I always use a plastic sleeve and keep my cards & tickets in it.  This was a while back, so I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I do remember that the clerk ran outside to the parking lot while I was driving away and handed me my tickets.  I even wrote down her name (think it was Dawn) in case I won.  I won't ever let that happen again (I hope) but an experience like that does make one reflect on her values. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8359 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

You'd be surprised at how many people throw away winning scratch offs. Many because they don't know how or didn't take the time to check their tickets. There are loads of them in 7 elevens farm stores and the like. many elderly people throw them away simply because they didn't see lots of 000000' in the little boxes on the scratch offs.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              Sunny California
              United States
              Member #40295
              May 31, 2006
              7712 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Even if everyone was honest and DID turn in a ticket,don't you think maybe the person who it belonged to would give you some sort of reward? In this day and age you can't really "expect" it but if someone turned in my winning ticket and I got it back,that person would definitely reap a fat reward.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

You'd be surprised at how many people throw away winning scratch offs. Many because they don't know how or didn't take the time to check their tickets. There are loads of them in 7 elevens farm stores and the like. many elderly people throw them away simply because they didn't see lots of 000000' in the little boxes on the scratch offs.

So are you saying that if a little old lady living on social security spent a couple of bucks on a dream, it's okay to take away that dream because she had bad eyesight?

(BTW, note that I didn't write I wouldn't keep the ticket.  I'm no saint. I just hope I'd feel so guilty that I'd turn it in.  Still I would want an equal share.)

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31337 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I would keep it if I didn't know who bought it and if it was not signed.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

So are you saying that if a little old lady living on social security spent a couple of bucks on a dream, it's okay to take away that dream because she had bad eyesight?

(BTW, note that I didn't write I wouldn't keep the ticket.  I'm no saint. I just hope I'd feel so guilty that I'd turn it in.  Still I would want an equal share.)

I don't think four4me was saying that you would snatch it out of her hands. I see them sometimes just lying there on the lottery fill out station. I have seen a couple that had a few bucks winners that were left there. What are you gonna do, knock on every house door in the neighborhood asking if someone misread a scratch-off?...LOL

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31337 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't think four4me was saying that you would snatch it out of her hands. I see them sometimes just lying there on the lottery fill out station. I have seen a couple that had a few bucks winners that were left there. What are you gonna do, knock on every house door in the neighborhood asking if someone misread a scratch-off?...LOL

Start with my house door  if it's a big win!  LOL

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

LOL Kitty....

C'mon everyone...it's just like if you saw a c-note on the ground, are you gonna ask people around you if they dropped it? Of course not. You know what their answer is gonna be...LOL

Unless of course you hear them saying it, and looking on the ground frantically.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I think I wrote this story here on the LP a few weeks ago about me finding a c-note on the floor of busy pizza parlor years ago in New York, on the way home from work.

Do you think I'm gonna pick it up and say, Hey everyone, has anyone here lost a c-note? Give me a break.

I'm an honest guy, but I ain't no fool.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

A scratch off is different, Pac.   I think I wrote that in my first post.  I do agree there might be lots of false claims. 

Emily, you are having an influence on my decision here!!   For some reason I thought you would say you'd turn it in without hesitation.  So maybe I'm being silly.  On the other hand, I never said I'd give it away to the first person who yells "it's mine," just that it's best to be honest.  That's why calling an attorney would be important.  With a scratch ticket, it could have been purchased any time, although the Lottery knows what store sold it.  I was thinking of an online game where the ticket is printed.  It's dated and has the time sold, and there are usually video tapes of the transaction.  If you lie when you make your claim, I'm sure it's a crime.  So like Lottolaughs said, it's best to tell the Lottery you found the ticket and, if it's challenged, fight for your right to the prize.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                              Member #50124
                              February 26, 2007
                              601 Posts
                              Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

If I knew it was a little old lady on SS, I'd give it to her with my blessings.

But if you just turn a ticket in, who's gonna get  the prize?  Probably no one, cuz the little old lady with bad eyesight thought hers was a loser so she's not gonna claim it.  Or some con artist who can convince them lottery it was theirs will get it.

Nope, I'd keep it and I  wouldn't feel a bit guilty about it.

Page 2 of 13