Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 11 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Westerose
Canada
Member #52915
June 15, 2007
189 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2007, 3:19 am - IP Logged

If it's not signed then yeah I would keep it. Because ya know that whomever you handed it over to would keep it for themselves.

Signed Ticket well that would have to be turned in. But to the lottery office hopefully in that case the winner would throw you a bone.

But unsigned I don't even have to think twice about that.  Most likely you would have found the ticket before the lotto draw so at that point it wouldn't be a winner anyway.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2007, 3:26 am - IP Logged

welcome to lottery post manzplan!

Westerose
      Canada
      Member #52915
      June 15, 2007
      189 Posts
      Posted: June 15, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

thanks mike.. lurked for awhile but a couple of things I needed to comment on.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
        Florence, Alabama
        United States
        Member #8658
        November 13, 2004
        1993 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Different circumstances, Pac.   So if this is the case, why do people go to different stores to cash their pick-3 tickets? 

I don't want to hold the world record for number of posts on a thread.  LOL   

I can't answer for everyone else but one reason I have done it is because a store may not have enough cash to pay out all the tickets. This is especially true when a triple falls. It could take a few days to cash in all the tickets, or you could go to one of the cashing agent stores and they could give you a check for the total of the tickets.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

United States
          Member #51688
          April 19, 2007
          200 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2007, 2:38 am - IP Logged

This is a very tough question.  I guess it depends on where you desire to enjoy your riches - in this world or the next!  Seriously, most people are going to say "I'll keep it."  I want to say the same thing, but I might have trouble enjoying my money too.

I checked "call a lawyer" because he/she could do all the background checking on your behalf, without the Lottery Office knowing who found the ticket.  As others have written, you do need to know where the ticket was purchased.  In FL they always list where winning jackpot tickets were bought, but of course an instant ticket would be different.  I don't know how a court would rule on this matter, but I think the best thing would be to claim your legal right to the prize with good counseling.  On the other hand, if I dropped one of the tickets with the numbers I've played for over 12 years and someone turned it in, I'd be forever grateful.  So how can I be a hypocrite?  If it were worth millions as the question indicates, I think working something out where you get a percentage of the prize (half would be fair) might be best for everyone. 

We hear stories on the news about people who turn in money and think "he's crazy!"  Then I wonder if I had a child what I would tell her to do.  I could never tell a child to keep something that wasn't hers.  As I said at the beginning, this is a very tough call.  Legally, I think the ticket would be mine, however.

xplorying  you  are  always  so  correct  ....legaly  it is  your  ticket ;

since  the  only  proff  you  need  is  to  have  the  ticket ;

now  if  the  ticket has  been  signed  then  it  becomes  a  real  problem;

the  moral  obligation  is  what  you  seem  to  have  a  problem  with ,um  let  me  ponder that  one  .....NAH  I  dont  have  any  moral  obligations  when  it  comes  to  finding  a  million  dollar  winning  ticket  except  good  by......  NY  ,and  where  can  I  buy  my  next  house  or  small  island , I  'm  sure  I  will  forget  I  FOUND  THE  TICKET  EVERYTIME  I  unload  the  ATM  machine  on  my  road  of  traveling ;

United States
            Member #51688
            April 19, 2007
            200 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2007, 2:39 am - IP Logged

This is a very tough question.  I guess it depends on where you desire to enjoy your riches - in this world or the next!  Seriously, most people are going to say "I'll keep it."  I want to say the same thing, but I might have trouble enjoying my money too.

I checked "call a lawyer" because he/she could do all the background checking on your behalf, without the Lottery Office knowing who found the ticket.  As others have written, you do need to know where the ticket was purchased.  In FL they always list where winning jackpot tickets were bought, but of course an instant ticket would be different.  I don't know how a court would rule on this matter, but I think the best thing would be to claim your legal right to the prize with good counseling.  On the other hand, if I dropped one of the tickets with the numbers I've played for over 12 years and someone turned it in, I'd be forever grateful.  So how can I be a hypocrite?  If it were worth millions as the question indicates, I think working something out where you get a percentage of the prize (half would be fair) might be best for everyone. 

We hear stories on the news about people who turn in money and think "he's crazy!"  Then I wonder if I had a child what I would tell her to do.  I could never tell a child to keep something that wasn't hers.  As I said at the beginning, this is a very tough call.  Legally, I think the ticket would be mine, however.

xplorying  you  are  always  so  correct  ....legaly  it is  your  ticket ;

since  the  only  proff  you  need  is  to  have  the  ticket ;

now  if  the  ticket has  been  signed  then  it  becomes  a  real  problem;

the  moral  obligation  is  what  you  seem  to  have  a  problem  with ,um  let  me  ponder that  one  .....NAH  I  dont  have  any  moral  obligations  when  it  comes  to  finding  a  million  dollar  winning  ticket  except  good  by......  NY  ,and  where  can  I  buy  my  next  house  or  small  island , I  'm  sure  I  will  forget  I  FOUND  THE  TICKET  EVERYTIME  I  unload  the  ATM  machine  on  my  road  of  traveling ;

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
              Decatur, GA
              United States
              Member #20471
              August 18, 2005
              2668 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2007, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Dahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Winning is Funtastic!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                United States
                Member #53008
                June 19, 2007
                67 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Ummm...yeah.  I'd keep it for myself.  I doubt this would ever happen to me though.  I'd just tell the wife I bought it.

wyoming, michigan
                  United States
                  Member #53058
                  June 22, 2007
                  637 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Turn it in to the lottery headquarters.  Was overpaid $104.00 on a daily ticket by the cashier once, took it back the next day they were surprised i was not.  Alot of people live for just today not my idea of right.  But that is my way.  The only one who knows the right answer was here and is gone to return sometime in the future.  Good luck in all your endeavers.

wyoming, michigan
                    United States
                    Member #53058
                    June 22, 2007
                    637 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Turn it in to the lottery headquarters.  Was overpaid $104.00 on a daily ticket by the cashier once, took it back the next day they were surprised i was not.  Alot of people live for just today not my idea of right.  But that is my way.  The only one who knows the right answer was here and is gone to return sometime in the future.  Good luck in all your endeavers.

United States
                      Member #51688
                      April 19, 2007
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2007, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

(this  ticket  is  a  bearer  instrument )  thats  whats  written on  the  back  of  a  NEW  YORK  LOTTERY TICKET :

CHECK  THE  BACK  OF  YOUR  STATE  and  see  if  it  is  not  simular  to  that  .........so  never  turn  it  in  to  the  lottery headquaters ....they  will  just  keep  it  along  with  millions  in  unclaimed  prizes:Jack-in-the-Box

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Apples and oranges.  When you were overpaid, you knew who the money belonged to.  I'd absolutely return it under those circumstances, too.   If you find an unsigned lottery ticket on the street, you don't know who it belongs to.  One thing we can be certain of is that it doesn't belong to the Lottery.  Someone bought and paid for that ticket.

That's why I voted that I'd consult an attorney.  I'd want to make sure that the lottery does make an attempt to find the rightful owner, but if they don't come forward, I want that money paid to me, not put back into the lottery's coffers. 

United States
                          Member #51688
                          April 19, 2007
                          200 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Apples and oranges.  When you were overpaid, you knew who the money belonged to.  I'd absolutely return it under those circumstances, too.   If you find an unsigned lottery ticket on the street, you don't know who it belongs to.  One thing we can be certain of is that it doesn't belong to the Lottery.  Someone bought and paid for that ticket.

That's why I voted that I'd consult an attorney.  I'd want to make sure that the lottery does make an attempt to find the rightful owner, but if they don't come forward, I want that money paid to me, not put back into the lottery's coffers. 

luckylilly : you  can  turn  in  tickets  all  day  long  and  by  your  own  admission  you  admitt  that  you  found  them  I  can  rightfully  assume  that  NO  state  lottery  anywhere  in  this  country  would  return  it  to  the  finder  of  a  lost  lottery  ticket.... you  will  never  see  it  again....

like  I  said  in  my  post "THIS  TICKET IS A BEARER INSTRUMENT"  ;

THAT  MEANS  WHO  SO-EVER  HOLDS  THE  TICKET  IS  THE  OWNER:  and  the  one  who  pay  the  taxes  if  needed;

thats  why  people  get  their  mother  or  a  person  addicted  to  drugs  to  cash  in  the  ticket for  semi-large  amounts ; then  the  real  owner  don't  have  to  pay  taxes ; Its  yours  if  you  find  it  but  like  you  said  if  you  know  whos  ticket  it  si  the  sure  the  right  thing  to  do  is  return  it ....but  I  repeat  I  have  no  moral  obligation  to  reurn  a  million  dollar  ticket  if  I  find  one  on  the  ground  or  in  a  bush  somewhere  in  urban  Ameica- finders  keepers ;Let  Rev.know-it-all preach  what  they  want  I  deserve  my  pice  of  american  pie  too;Agree with stupid 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: July 4, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

luckylilly : you  can  turn  in  tickets  all  day  long  and  by  your  own  admission  you  admitt  that  you  found  them  I  can  rightfully  assume  that  NO  state  lottery  anywhere  in  this  country  would  return  it  to  the  finder  of  a  lost  lottery  ticket.... you  will  never  see  it  again....

like  I  said  in  my  post "THIS  TICKET IS A BEARER INSTRUMENT"  ;

THAT  MEANS  WHO  SO-EVER  HOLDS  THE  TICKET  IS  THE  OWNER:  and  the  one  who  pay  the  taxes  if  needed;

thats  why  people  get  their  mother  or  a  person  addicted  to  drugs  to  cash  in  the  ticket for  semi-large  amounts ; then  the  real  owner  don't  have  to  pay  taxes ; Its  yours  if  you  find  it  but  like  you  said  if  you  know  whos  ticket  it  si  the  sure  the  right  thing  to  do  is  return  it ....but  I  repeat  I  have  no  moral  obligation  to  reurn  a  million  dollar  ticket  if  I  find  one  on  the  ground  or  in  a  bush  somewhere  in  urban  Ameica- finders  keepers ;Let  Rev.know-it-all preach  what  they  want  I  deserve  my  pice  of  american  pie  too;Agree with stupid 

That's not what bearer instrument means. A bearer instrument  is simply a monetary instrument for which ownership isn't registered, just like the cash in your wallet. Ownership is a completely different  matter that is independent of what type of instrument it is.  It's really extremely simple. Do you lose ownership of your cash simply because somebody else comes into possession of it? 

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: July 4, 2007, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

That's not what bearer instrument means. A bearer instrument  is simply a monetary instrument for which ownership isn't registered, just like the cash in your wallet. Ownership is a completely different  matter that is independent of what type of instrument it is.  It's really extremely simple. Do you lose ownership of your cash simply because somebody else comes into possession of it? 

Do you lose ownership of your cash simply because somebody else comes into possession of it? 

Yes....

Page 11 of 13