Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 9 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2007, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Different circumstances, Pac.   So if this is the case, why do people go to different stores to cash their pick-3 tickets? 

I don't want to hold the world record for number of posts on a thread.  LOL   

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2007, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Different circumstances, Pac.   So if this is the case, why do people go to different stores to cash their pick-3 tickets? 

I don't want to hold the world record for number of posts on a thread.  LOL   

I don't know. When I cashed in my 3 grand, it was at the Publix on Daniels and Fiddlesticks. The guy at the counter told me I couldn't cash my six tickets. I said yes I can. He called a supervisor, and she told him to go upstairs and get the money.

I learned early on that If i tried to cash the tix at a covenient store, they would give me a money order, which I had to go to Publix to cash.

It's maybe because the store didn't have enough money, so I just go to a place where they have more cash on hand.

The last time I cashed in a 500 win at the Publix in the Pelican Landing plaza, the girl said they don't have enough on hand, and that I'd have to come back later. I said to her...Are you telling me that in all those cash registers, there wasn't 500 bucks?. She then went ot each cashier and asked a portion.

They only did that because they knew me as a regular customer.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I don't want to hold the world record for number of posts on a thread.  LOL    ROFL

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

...or because they saw your picture on the 11:00 news.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:05 am - IP Logged

ROFL

I swear...I wasn't robbing them, just demanding money...thats all...LOL

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I think cool hand luke would have said something more like...."I'm not gonna convince you, and you're not gonna convince me, so cool it"..said cool hand luke he said....

Green eggs and ham.....

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3501 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I hit a 6-spot playing a 15-way ticket (4/2 - 6/4 - 4/6 - 1/8) and Keno manager put the full win amount on the W-2G. I understood I would had to report the $1500 on the 6-spot but I questioned her saying the others were separate bets and all were under $599. She called somebody in the cage and said I was correct and changed it. 

Thank You.....

KY Floyd.....can you see this?

I know I wasn't going crazy...LOL    But it doesen't matter, cause I'm almost there...LOL

Sure I can see it, and unlike you I can understand it, too. Because they were seperate bets they could be paid separately, and no single bet was big enough to require reporting it to the IRS. That's all. Seperate bets that didn't meet the reporting requirements. It's strictly about the reporting requirements and has nothing to do with obligations to pay tax on income. Since you also apparently don't understand the basic concept of income tax, I'll explain that for you, too. It's a tax on income. It's not a "salary tax" or a "prize tax" or a "t-shirt tax". It's tax on income, regardless of where that income comes from, except where the income is specifically exempt. Gambling winnings are not exempt from federal income tax, and with the possible exception of the state's own games, they're not exempt from state income taxes either. You could easily find this information with a search engine while you're sitting at your keyboard repeatedly demonstrating that common sense isn't all that common, but apparently you're not interested in actually educating yourself when you can simply continue to believe what you want to.

In another post you said: 

I've seen many documents saying the very thing I am.

Nope, sorry.  This is just like being wrong about what it says on lottery tickets about being bearer bonds.  Plenty of documents say that amounts under $600 don't need to be reported. I know you don't understand it, but that's not the same as saying that amounts under $600 aren't taxable.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:48 am - IP Logged

To add to this comment, the Indiana Lottery site FAQ answers this simply:

Q. Do I have to report what I won to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

A. YES.  All Lottery prizes should be reported to the IRS as income regardless of whether a W-2G is received.

A W-2G tax form will be provided to players for each prize that was won during the previous calendar year and that meets the following two criteria:

• Prize is valued at $600.00 or more; and
                • Prize equals at least 300 times the wager

The $600.00 limit test is applied to individual prizes. Therefore, even though prizes won by a player during a year add up to more than $600.00, they will only receive a W-2G if any one of the prizes is $600.00 or more. For example, if a player wins prizes of $500.00, $500.00 and $2,000.00 in one year, the total prizes won for that year equals $3,000.00. However, the player will only receive a W-2G showing winnings of $2,000.00 since it is the only individual prize that is $600.00 or more.

For W-2G reporting purposes, the definition of a “prize” for players includes cash, trips or merchandise awarded to those holding winning lottery tickets.  For prizes exceeding $5,000.00, IRS regulations require that the Lottery withhold federal taxes equal to 25% of the prize value before the prize is awarded. The Lottery forwards this money to the IRS on behalf of the winner. This tax withholding will appear on the W-2G. However the winner may still owe more or less, because the ultimate tax amount the player has to pay on prizes received will depend on the player’s personal tax situation

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5145 Posts
                  Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:48 am - IP Logged

STRANGE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POST>>>>>>>>>PUBLIX??????????

Did anyone>>>>>>>>>>>>>saye>>>>>>>>>>PUBLIX??????????

Been try'g to trick the picks @ this place for too>LONGxx??????????

I will ASK for pacattack05>>>the next time i $SUMINNnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Here is a briefer Q&A from the Missouri Lottery:

Taxes
                    All Lottery winnings are subject to federal and state taxes. The Missouri Lottery is required to withhold 4 percent Missouri state tax on prizes of $601 or more along with 25 percent federal tax for prizes over $5,000.

Okay, Pac?

Nope...you're wrong, Nancy.  I knew once you began agreeing with Floyd you'd turn on me.

But Pac.  We're one big happy, dysfunctional family here at LP.  You're just very obstinate. 

Nancy, I feel so lost and all alone now.  I need to play my guitar and chill.

Pac, go play with Uncle Psykomo.  He will tell you a bedtime story.  Be careful though.  We took the restraints off today, but we sedated him about an hour ago.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: June 6, 2007, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Sure I can see it, and unlike you I can understand it, too. Because they were seperate bets they could be paid separately, and no single bet was big enough to require reporting it to the IRS. That's all. Seperate bets that didn't meet the reporting requirements. It's strictly about the reporting requirements and has nothing to do with obligations to pay tax on income. Since you also apparently don't understand the basic concept of income tax, I'll explain that for you, too. It's a tax on income. It's not a "salary tax" or a "prize tax" or a "t-shirt tax". It's tax on income, regardless of where that income comes from, except where the income is specifically exempt. Gambling winnings are not exempt from federal income tax, and with the possible exception of the state's own games, they're not exempt from state income taxes either. You could easily find this information with a search engine while you're sitting at your keyboard repeatedly demonstrating that common sense isn't all that common, but apparently you're not interested in actually educating yourself when you can simply continue to believe what you want to.

In another post you said: 

I've seen many documents saying the very thing I am.

Nope, sorry.  This is just like being wrong about what it says on lottery tickets about being bearer bonds.  Plenty of documents say that amounts under $600 don't need to be reported. I know you don't understand it, but that's not the same as saying that amounts under $600 aren't taxable.

Obligations?

Reporting?

Keep crossing your T's and dotting your I's....Good luck!

No forms to fill out.....No problems...Get It?

I know...it'll be ok......

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2007, 1:30 am - IP Logged

All Lottery winnings are subject to federal and state taxes

Of course that's what they will say. It's a disclaimer. They want to tell everyone, hey we know you're not gonna claim it, so wink wink, we don't give two shmootz about it, BUT!!!! We're gonna cover our butts though!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:06 am - IP Logged

a couple years ago i went to H and R block and they said i was getting 6,000 dollars back on my tax return.i then remembered about two 2,500 winning cash 4 tickets in tennessee i won.when they added that to my income i ended up only getting back 4,000 dollars.that made me really look at it all in a new way.it sure dampened my enthusiasm about winning and ME turning the winning ticket in next time.nudge nudge wink wink.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

a couple years ago i went to H and R block and they said i was getting 6,000 dollars back on my tax return.i then remembered about two 2,500 winning cash 4 tickets in tennessee i won.when they added that to my income i ended up only getting back 4,000 dollars.that made me really look at it all in a new way.it sure dampened my enthusiasm about winning and ME turning the winning ticket in next time.nudge nudge wink wink.

A $6,000 refund?  Why would anyone lend that amount of money to the government?  Tax refunds aren't gifts like Christmas presents.  They're loans that people who didn't claim enough give to the IRS. It's better to break even or owe a little and put your money in a CD or other interest bearing account.  The IRS certainly doesn't pay you interest on the money they've kept for a year.

By the way, if a return changed from $6,000 to $4,000 from a $5,000 win,  that would indicate a very high income bracket.  Even if you & your wife made over $100,000 you'd be in the 25% bracket. ($5,000 x 25% = $1,250) and you've got 2 children.  $5,000 more won't push anyone into an entirely different bracket.  Here are the tax brackets for 2006

Schedule Y-1 — Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er)

If taxable income is over--But not over--The tax is:
                            $0$15,10010% of the amount over $0
                            $15,100$61,300$1,510.00 plus 15% of the amount over 15,100
                            $61,300$123,700$8,440.00 plus 25% of the amount over 61,300
                            $123,700$188,450$24,040.00 plus 28% of the amount over 123,700
                            $188,450$336,550$42,170.00 plus 33% of the amount over 188,450
                            $336,550no limit$91,043.00 plus 35% of the amount over 336,550
                              LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

i have two kids and we are not married plus they give some kind of earned income credit.i ain't gonna argue if they want to give me a big refund,lol.

Page 9 of 13