Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 13 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
Harbinger
D.C./MD.
United States
Member #44103
July 30, 2006
5583 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Yeah,  I think it boils down to personal responsibility.  You gotta keep your stuff together. Anytime you have tickets hold on to them don't lose them or you will be a loser of tickets. 

Once the thing is drawn and you have a winner, sign it, DON'T lose it! Whenever I get something over $600, it gets addressed and signed and stashed until cashed. Which kinda rhymes. So here you go. Lottery haiku.

When u hit for Cash;

And u want to cover yer a#$ss;

Then sign and stash;

Til, yer ready;

To cash-cash-cash.

Sun Smiley

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged
    get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included)[ 4 ]  [4.08%]

i see that at least four people will buy a number 3 on the dollar menu.those frostys are kinda like a mental soother.they tend to relax the mind while putting a stall to any millions that might be ill gotten.although studies show that the elderly tend to be generally trustworthy those numbers tend to drop and even among the younger population once a loot of booty comes into play.

United States
      Member #51688
      April 19, 2007
      200 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2007, 12:18 am - IP Logged

You mean blogs, not a website. I do have a cheesy website, but no one has a clue about it's existence though...lol

Even if it was taken to court, the first thing i would ask the judge if he or she ruled against me, is why have something printed on the back if it's not binding?

Why bother?

The way I see it is that a person is willing to go to the lengths in fighting for the ticket, then they can prove it was theirs. Atleast most of the time. You have to be aware of the scheisters who will come out of the wood work.

I have no problem relenquishing a ticket that has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it belongs to them.

I think that some here like floyd read me wrong. He's defining a fine line where morality meets greed and selfishness. That line can vary from person to person. The original question was finding a winning ticket.

On the other hand...I also believe that if someone was that  astute..they wouldn't be in that position in the first place, because of their disciplined ways. And never even lost the ticket in the first place.

It's a catch 22. 

On the other hand...I also believe that if someone was that  astute..they wouldn't be in that position in the first place, because of their disciplined ways. And never even lost the ticket in the first place..................I  agree  ;

but  crap  has  a  way  of  fouling  up  the  works  if  I  drove  to  the  store  and  bought  30.00  worth  of  mega  millions and  went  back  to  the  car  and  drove  off  with  my  tickets  and  while  driveing  at  45-55 miles  per  hour  the  wind  wipped  two  or  three  of  my  tickets  out  on  the  freeway  and  by  the  time  i  noticed  them  flying  and  looked  for  a  safe  place  to  park (  not  to  mention  the  back-draft)  I  would  be  a  mile  or  better  from  the  place  I  lost  them  and  I  would  risk  my  life  to  get  them  back  or  the  wind  could  carry  them  into  the  lake ...then  what  do  I  do  for  a  re-cource ???Jack-in-the-Box

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2007, 4:05 am - IP Logged

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

If the ticket WAS NOT signed, I would easily say, keep it.  But where was the ticket found?  WOuld I have to purchase a ticket in terminals close to the vicinity to determine if a set of numbers somewhere on the ticket matched the store???  Then maybe I should consult with legal counsel.  Then this is a question that Lottery Officials should be asked. too.  What is/would be their policy/procedure in a situation like this.  Now suppose you were given the ticket by a passerby or a gift from somone.  You would NOT know where they purchased the ticket necessarily.  So, if you received a ticket in this way, soes this mean that you can not claim it because you do not know where the ticket was purchased?  A few years ago, a traveler gave waitresses a lotto ticket as a tip.  It turned out to be a million dollars or so.  They argued and argued over the proceeds.  Anyway, this ticket was a gift to them.  By the same token, the ticket with no signature is a miraculous gift, I think.  If the ticket was signed, no question, notify the person who signed it.  Put up a poster asking Such and such to do whatever necessary to get their possession back.  I have been dead broke and found a wallet with just the amount of money I needed.  I mailed it back to the person who lost it minus the cost of postage to send it (I was broke remember)  It felt so good to know that another person was not going to be broke like me.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2007, 2:53 am - IP Logged

i've always wondered this.....

what if the person forgot to sign the back but had copies of the winning ticket after someone else found it?

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2007, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

what if the person forgot to sign the back but had copies of the winning ticket after someone else found it?

Go back and read a few of the previous posts. Just because you lose something doesn't mean you don't still own it. There are any number of ways that you might prove that ownership.

Brazil
              Member #51781
              April 24, 2007
              384 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2007, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Do you mean "photocopies"?

If it is the case , there is something written about being illegal to photocopy a ticket on U.S.A.  . On Brasil I got some pictures of winners and not winner tickets , others like the ticket with the Brazilian and British flags are a 'curiosity' item ... 

By the way, only the 'Federal Lottery' tickets and scratch cards have a place to put the name and  document number.

Or maybe just DOUBLES , some persons would have dozen or hundreds of tickets .  For example , why someone would be upset to lost some sequence or ticket if there would be a lot of similar numbers !?

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
                Member #19043
                July 24, 2005
                7378 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2007, 12:07 am - IP Logged

I voted turn the ticket in to the Lottery Officials,I would not want the ticket if i didnot purchase it,Thanks,,,,,,Delores247

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: July 14, 2007, 1:44 am - IP Logged

No signature, in your hand, it's yours. End of story.

Actually happened to me once, I found a Match 6 ticket worth $12. 

(insert signature here)

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                    Member #15309
                    May 13, 2005
                    307 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2007, 8:32 am - IP Logged

That would be a matter of proof.  Weight of that proof would depend on what you're trying to prove and the totality of the circumstances.

Sun Smiley             

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                      Member #15309
                      May 13, 2005
                      307 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2007, 8:47 am - IP Logged

The Power of Intentions. 

Intention, State of Mind, Mental State, Specific Intent, General Intent - these are common buzz words we hear often when a case is being heard. 

Why?  Because most acts are characterized by intentions.  The state of mind of someone borrowing a book is different from someone stealing a book.

The state of mind of someone "losing" a lottery ticket is different from someone "giving away" a lottery ticket.  Intention is a powerful thing.

Sun Smiley             

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: July 14, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Here's a story, of a lovely lady....well maybe not so lovely. But it just goes to show what I was saying earlier in this thread about how people will come out of the woodwork to claim a prize.

It turns out that this lady claimed that the 162 mil prize was really hers. Turns out that her last name isn't "Battle", and she has a history of fraud.

The ticket is a bearer instrument, and Ohio agrees...lol

If it's unsigned, it's mine, unless someone can come out of the woodwork and prove to me without question that it's theirs. Very simple.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1053022/posts

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2007, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

"people will come out of the woodwork to claim a prize"

Pac, one of the things we talk about on the board, which is always encouraged,  is posting the winning ticket online. I expect to get some negative responses, because we'd all like to see a million dollar winner here, but I would hesitate to do that because of people like Ms Battle. First, unless the ticket is altered, i.e., covering the bar code and important identifying numbers, you are giving out information not available to the general public before the ticket is validated.  (such as the date/time of purchase)  Someone might attempt to pull a stunt like Ms Battle and show police a copy. "I bought it. I swear. I made a copy and then my wallet was stolen on the way to the store!"  Then there are those who would want a share of it.  Of course it wouldn't hold up in court, but everyday there are frivolous lawsuits files.  "She promised to split it with me. I gave her the winning numbers!"  Also, many people might not care about privacy, but I do.  I've posted a lot of personal comments because, after all, this is the internet, so who cares?  But many people know my first name and that I live in Southwest FL.  So if I wrote "I won the MegaMoney" (I wish!!) anyone could look it up on the press release, and have access to my first & last names & where I live.  I'm not saying members on LP are crazy stalkers, but hundreds of "guests" visit this site every day. 

speaking of frivolous lawsuits:

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer’s large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like “cement blocks” hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

This happened in Clearwater during the man's bachelor party.  BTW, he lost. 

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

"people will come out of the woodwork to claim a prize"

Pac, one of the things we talk about on the board, which is always encouraged,  is posting the winning ticket online. I expect to get some negative responses, because we'd all like to see a million dollar winner here, but I would hesitate to do that because of people like Ms Battle. First, unless the ticket is altered, i.e., covering the bar code and important identifying numbers, you are giving out information not available to the general public before the ticket is validated.  (such as the date/time of purchase)  Someone might attempt to pull a stunt like Ms Battle and show police a copy. "I bought it. I swear. I made a copy and then my wallet was stolen on the way to the store!"  Then there are those who would want a share of it.  Of course it wouldn't hold up in court, but everyday there are frivolous lawsuits files.  "She promised to split it with me. I gave her the winning numbers!"  Also, many people might not care about privacy, but I do.  I've posted a lot of personal comments because, after all, this is the internet, so who cares?  But many people know my first name and that I live in Southwest FL.  So if I wrote "I won the MegaMoney" (I wish!!) anyone could look it up on the press release, and have access to my first & last names & where I live.  I'm not saying members on LP are crazy stalkers, but hundreds of "guests" visit this site every day. 

speaking of frivolous lawsuits:

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer’s large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like “cement blocks” hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

This happened in Clearwater during the man's bachelor party.  BTW, he lost. 

WOW!

Where the breast implants made out of medicine balls?...lol

I guess it was a close action lawsuit...lol  Groan....

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5118 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2007, 1:43 am - IP Logged

WOW!

Where the breast implants made out of medicine balls?...lol

I guess it was a close action lawsuit...lol  Groan....

"OD" does have

a problem with HAIR BALLS..................OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's

but, don't mess with his breast, feet or tail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OD-ie................will EAT U >>>>>>"UP"

^^^^^^^^^^

lol

PSYKOMO 

Page 13 of 13