Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours

Topic closed. 194 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 3 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

if you found a winning ticket that wasn't yours that was worth millions what would you do?

keep it for yourself [ 69 ]  [65.71%]
return it to the lottery office [ 5 ]  [4.76%]
ponder the possibilities [ 10 ]  [9.52%]
give it to the store owner [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
offer it to passerby [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
give it to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
smoke a cigar [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
call a lawyer [ 9 ]  [8.57%]
get a number 3 on the dollar menu(frosty included) [ 4 ]  [3.81%]
other [ 8 ]  [7.62%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2007, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

A scratch off is different, Pac.   I think I wrote that in my first post.  I do agree there might be lots of false claims. 

Emily, you are having an influence on my decision here!!   For some reason I thought you would say you'd turn it in without hesitation.  So maybe I'm being silly.  On the other hand, I never said I'd give it away to the first person who yells "it's mine," just that it's best to be honest.  That's why calling an attorney would be important.  With a scratch ticket, it could have been purchased any time, although the Lottery knows what store sold it.  I was thinking of an online game where the ticket is printed.  It's dated and has the time sold, and there are usually video tapes of the transaction.  If you lie when you make your claim, I'm sure it's a crime.  So like Lottolaughs said, it's best to tell the Lottery you found the ticket and, if it's challenged, fight for your right to the prize.

I'm sure if it says on the back of the ticket that  whoever has this ticket in their possesion, belongs to them. They can have 27 cameras zoomed in from every angle showing the person who bought the ticket, and it wouldn't stand up in court.

There is nothing illegal about it. Again, that's why it's printed on the back.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8394 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2007, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

So are you saying that if a little old lady living on social security spent a couple of bucks on a dream, it's okay to take away that dream because she had bad eyesight?

(BTW, note that I didn't write I wouldn't keep the ticket.  I'm no saint. I just hope I'd feel so guilty that I'd turn it in.  Still I would want an equal share.)

don't take what i said out of context the old people scratch the tickets toss them in the trash. leave the store. Get in their car and drive away. (I don't go behind them and fish out tickets.) I have seen it done.

One day while getting coffee in a farm store i saw about twenty scratch tickets in the can where you deposit your empty sugar packs and such i though what the heck pulled out the scratchers and took them home. looked over every ticket very carefully. I noticed on several scratches they didn't scratch the little box that in the left hand corner of the ticket . it's like a booby prize. Might be a fee ticket might be a $ denomination.  And one was worth 5 bucks.

Now how am i to know whom threw it away. Was i supposed to go back to the farm store and exclaim Hey some one threw away a winning scratch ticket. whose is it..... I can hear the laughter now!

The same thing applies to scratchers if you toss it and someone finds it they can cash it. Got it.

Now if i wanted to be a trash can diver i would hang outside the door sipping a jumbo drink wait for some un-suspecting folks old or otherwise to toss their scratchers and dumpster dive the trash. I would be perfectly within my rights to do. However thats not my forte. 

many stores keep a can by the scratch counter and the store employees go thru the tickets when buisness is slow lots of people toss winners.

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I found a $20 scratcher that someone got in a hurry and completely missed a winning number ,  so I took it back inside the store , traded it for another $20 ticket and hit it for $100.00.

Took the $100 home.

It happens..........

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
        Member #48046
        December 7, 2006
        1699 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I can't say exactly what I'd do, but I kinda feel like guesser on this

I can only imagine how it would feel to lose the ticket,......would I camp out at lottery hq for 180 days?  If so ..... what then?

When someone shows up with my ticket

I voted Ponder the possibilities

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2007, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

don't take what i said out of context

Sorry, four4me, I wasn't accusing you of anything immoral.  I was just playing Devil's Advocate here, since I originally said I was on the fence about how I'd feel and would wonder if I was being tested somehow.  Maybe this belongs in Mystical! 

Pac, I didn't say it was illegal to keep the ticket.  But remember all the threads about the older man in Massachusetts who found a scratch ticket in the trash?  That court battle went on for so long the man who claimed he purchased the ticket and threw it away by mistake died before the court made a decision! 

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8394 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2007, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

don't take what i said out of context

Sorry, four4me, I wasn't accusing you of anything immoral.  I was just playing Devil's Advocate here, since I originally said I was on the fence about how I'd feel and would wonder if I was being tested somehow.  Maybe this belongs in Mystical! 

Pac, I didn't say it was illegal to keep the ticket.  But remember all the threads about the older man in Massachusetts who found a scratch ticket in the trash?  That court battle went on for so long the man who claimed he purchased the ticket and threw it away by mistake died before the court made a decision! 

no problem!

As for the man who found the ticket there was probably a lot more going on about it than we know. One of the first things i would suspect is he told someone he found it. In a situation like this that would be a big mistake.

I could see the hounds now if i walked in to lottery office or a store and said i found a million dollar scratch of ticket in the trash. People from out of state would probably come forth and say it was theres as well as everybody else that had delusions of grander.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2007, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes, everyone knew that the man found the ticket in the trash since he regularly sifted through the trash at the White Hen in his small town. Then he made the mistake of having it validated at the store.   The man who claimed he bought the ticket purchased 500 in the same batch and said he accidentally placed the million dollar winner in his "loser" pile and threw it away.  The Boston Globe reported (in red below)

Lottery officials could not be reached for comment last night, but according to the commission's website, it's finders keepers for lottery tickets that are not signed by the buyer.

''Without a signature on the back, a lottery ticket is considered a 'bearer instrument' and can be claimed by anyone presenting the ticket," the website states.

This didn't stop a lawyer from doing everything is his power to hold up the payment to the bearer of the winning ticket.  It was a real mess.  The case was Donovan vs St. John and the decision by the courts was that the ticket belonged to the finder.  Donovan (the man who swears he bought the ticket) collapsed shortly after the final decision from a heart attack and died.  Then the family of Mr. Donovan tried to sue St. John.  So the Lottery Commission still didn't pay. Because St. John was in his 80s he gave up and settled with the family because he probably figured he'd be dead by the time the battle was over.

So my point is this...everyone can say "the ticket is a bearer instrument" but obviously a lawyer can tie you up with so much paperwork and keep challenging the courts to the point that you never get your money.  I mean, it wasn't the lottery, but Anna Nicole won her battle in the Supreme Court and she still never got her late husband's money ...  and now she's dead. 

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes, everyone knew that the man found the ticket in the trash since he regularly sifted through the trash at the White Hen in his small town. Then he made the mistake of having it validated at the store.   The man who claimed he bought the ticket purchased 500 in the same batch and said he accidentally placed the million dollar winner in his "loser" pile and threw it away.  The Boston Globe reported (in red below)

Lottery officials could not be reached for comment last night, but according to the commission's website, it's finders keepers for lottery tickets that are not signed by the buyer.

''Without a signature on the back, a lottery ticket is considered a 'bearer instrument' and can be claimed by anyone presenting the ticket," the website states.

This didn't stop a lawyer from doing everything is his power to hold up the payment to the bearer of the winning ticket.  It was a real mess.  The case was Donovan vs St. John and the decision by the courts was that the ticket belonged to the finder.  Donovan (the man who swears he bought the ticket) collapsed shortly after the final decision from a heart attack and died.  Then the family of Mr. Donovan tried to sue St. John.  So the Lottery Commission still didn't pay. Because St. John was in his 80s he gave up and settled with the family because he probably figured he'd be dead by the time the battle was over.

So my point is this...everyone can say "the ticket is a bearer instrument" but obviously a lawyer can tie you up with so much paperwork and keep challenging the courts to the point that you never get your money.  I mean, it wasn't the lottery, but Anna Nicole won her battle in the Supreme Court and she still never got her late husband's money ...  and now she's dead. 

Anna did have court battles and didn't get his money, but she sure got allowances we could only dream of...LOL

In seriousness....You're giving an example of an isolated incident, where an old guy having one foot in the grave, was taken advantage of by a shark...ahem lawyer. This does not happen often. And ....If the Gods were on my side, finding a ticket, I'd thank them and run outta dodge....Thank You Very Much.....

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure if it says on the back of the ticket that  whoever has this ticket in their possesion, belongs to them. They can have 27 cameras zoomed in from every angle showing the person who bought the ticket, and it wouldn't stand up in court.

There is nothing illegal about it. Again, that's why it's printed on the back.

Lottery tickets do not say that whoever has the ticket is the owner. They simply warn that the ticket is a bearer instrument, which is completely different.  Lost property belongs to the original owner for a period of time defined by the law, which will vary from place to place. Title to lost property only passes to a finder after that period of time has passed.  If the rightful owner has been making an attempt to find and recover their propertyduring that time period and it was found within that time period but not reportedthen the time limitation will not apply. If you find a winning lottery ticket and the rightful owner attempts to recover it and has proff of their ownership it is you that won't have a chance in court.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets do not say that whoever has the ticket is the owner. They simply warn that the ticket is a bearer instrument, which is completely different.  Lost property belongs to the original owner for a period of time defined by the law, which will vary from place to place. Title to lost property only passes to a finder after that period of time has passed.  If the rightful owner has been making an attempt to find and recover their propertyduring that time period and it was found within that time period but not reportedthen the time limitation will not apply. If you find a winning lottery ticket and the rightful owner attempts to recover it and has proff of their ownership it is you that won't have a chance in court.

Lottery tickets do not say that whoever has the ticket is the owner.

Really? What store are you buying tickets from?

You talk about lost property in general. The lottery has it's own rules.

It's just like bearer bonds. It's owned by whomever is holding it in their hands.

I think you're talking about general rules that apply in different states , and the focus is about rules of the lottery. Those genral rules don't apply. Apples and orangines....LOL

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3502 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

IIRC, nobody, including St John, disputed Donovan's claim that he was the original owner of the ticket. The only reason the case wasn't a slam dunk for Donovan was because he threw it in the trash, which is very different than losing the ticket. By throwing it in the trash there is a reasonable assumption that he voluntarily abandoned the property. Abandoned property does belong to the first person who lays claim to it (an exception would be if it was found on priovate property by somebody other than the property owner), but lost property belongs to the original owner for a period of time. His lawyer stated that the ticket had been accidentally discarded, because  the only chance he had to retain title was by convincing a judge or jury that he didn't voluntarly abandon it. I believe the case never reached the courts (or at least didn't go to trial), with only the lottery's rulings being issued.

As you say, everyone can say the ticket is a bearer instrument, but the vast majority of people don't understand what that means. Cash is also a bearer instrument, but most people know that its ownership doesn't change simply because somebody else puts it in their pocket.

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7713 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Some of the highlights off the back of my CA lottery ticket--

"You must present this ticket as proof of your selections and to claim a prize. Determination of winners is subject to the rules and regulations of the California Lottery."

So if I was having a bad hair day,could they "determine" not to give me my check??  LOL.......

By the way,does any one know what that means exactly? How can they not give you the money if you have the ticket??

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Some of the highlights off the back of my CA lottery ticket--

"You must present this ticket as proof of your selections and to claim a prize. Determination of winners is subject to the rules and regulations of the California Lottery."

So if I was having a bad hair day,could they "determine" not to give me my check??  LOL.......

By the way,does any one know what that means exactly? How can they not give you the money if you have the ticket??

I think you're thinking too much....LOL

I think what that means has to do with trouble they had in the past where someone comes to the lottery office claiming they won, and no ticket to prove otherwise. That's all it is.

It's just a disclaimer in it's earlier form....LOL

It hasn't evolved...so it looks obvious....

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets do not say that whoever has the ticket is the owner.

Really? What store are you buying tickets from?

You talk about lost property in general. The lottery has it's own rules.

It's just like bearer bonds. It's owned by whomever is holding it in their hands.

I think you're talking about general rules that apply in different states , and the focus is about rules of the lottery. Those genral rules don't apply. Apples and orangines....LOL

Yes, really. The typical phrasing on a lottery ticket says "this is a bearer instrument". Even if you don't understand the difference, I trust that you recognize that as being different than "This ticket belongs to whoever has it in their possession", right?

Sure lotteries have rules. So do lots of other government agencies and private entities. None of those rules is superior to laws that say something to the contrary. Do you suppose there's a reason that  lotteries have "rules" while the judicial system has "laws"?

A bearer bond simply isn't registered to the owner. That doesn't mean that anybody in possession owns it. It only means that there is an assumption that the person in possession owns it, just like there would be an assumption that you are the owner of moeny that you possess. If you understand that money can be stolen then you understand the basic concept, even if you don't understand it as it relates to lottery tickets.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Yes, really. The typical phrasing on a lottery ticket says "this is a bearer instrument". Even if you don't understand the difference, I trust that you recognize that as being different than "This ticket belongs to whoever has it in their possession", right?

Sure lotteries have rules. So do lots of other government agencies and private entities. None of those rules is superior to laws that say something to the contrary. Do you suppose there's a reason that  lotteries have "rules" while the judicial system has "laws"?

A bearer bond simply isn't registered to the owner. That doesn't mean that anybody in possession owns it. It only means that there is an assumption that the person in possession owns it, just like there would be an assumption that you are the owner of moeny that you possess. If you understand that money can be stolen then you understand the basic concept, even if you don't understand it as it relates to lottery tickets.

Wrong!

First...I do understand....second....I understand what it says...I've always understood it that way....so has everyone around me....Bearer means bearer....You can interpret it any way you want to, but that doesen't change anything...

If you want to twist words with semantics...go ahead...be my guest...LOL

Page 3 of 13