Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who really need money?

Topic closed. 133 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 1 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
wantmoney's avatar - chess smart.jpg
Delaware
Greenland
Member #58665
February 23, 2008
28 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

I think  money is more useful to young people.    But jackpot winners are always old people.  

W hat a pity it is Dead !!         

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31361 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I think  money is more useful to young people.    But jackpot winners are always old people.  

What an ageist post.  Shame on you.          Dunk

love to nibble those micey feet.

wantmoney's avatar - chess smart.jpg
      Delaware
      Greenland
      Member #58665
      February 23, 2008
      28 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

What an ageist post.  Shame on you.          Dunk

SmileLep

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

I need lots lots of money!!!

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
          Member #26882
          November 23, 2005
          1404 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2008, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodI know lots of older people that money could be useful too.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: February 29, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

The lottery doesn't see age. Anyone, regardless of age can win if they buy a ticket.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 29, 2008, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Why?  Are you saying older people don't need shelter, food, medical care and fuel?  It's true that young couples with children usually need more money, college graduates with student loans need money, etc.  But an older person would be able to help their children buy a home, grandparents can help their grandchildren go to college, and they can plan a nice retirement for themselves.  As people age their hiring/earning potential drops, especially when the economy is bad, so I think older people might argue just the opposite.  Then, depending on what you consider to be old, someone in his/her 50s or 60s might have a parent who is ill and needs care.  That costs a lot of money, since most people who are now 80 or more don't have long-term care insurance.

Maybe you just started this thread to be controversial or just for kicks, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. (because that's all I've got!)  

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: February 29, 2008, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Why it it ageist instead of a simple observation or opinion? We can argue about the definition of "old" but my perception is that a disproportionate number of winners are old.

I'd also have to agree that, in general, the younger you are the more you need money. When you're younger you still need to buy a house raise children, and secure your future. In order to invest money you need to be taking in more than you are spending. At some point the situation reverses and you can safely spend more than you earn. By the time you're 60 you've probably paid for your house, raised your kids, and done most of what you're going to do about financing the rest of your life. If you need more money when you're older it's because you didn't have enough (or didn't make the right choices) when you were younger.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:03 am - IP Logged

Probably because old people have played all their life, and had a lot more chances to win. Just too bad it did not come sooner instead of later. I for one want it young, and will get it young. But then again I also do not have the extra money to play every week.

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7712 Posts
                    Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:55 am - IP Logged

That's a terrible thing to say! It's not a pity that "older" folks win. All younger people should be lucky to live that long in the first place. What a wonderful gift it would be to "win the prize" in your golden years. Just the other day when I was at the grocery this older lady was in front of me and I noticed what she was buying, all the cheap store name foods. It made me sad but that's what Social Security leaves you with. A lot of senior folks have wound up broke after helping their own children with THEIR financial burdens. Ever think about that?

Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.Grandpa You Rock ! Make your grandpa LOL with this ecard on his Birthday.

You Go Grandpa! Win that lottery!!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      CA
                      United States
                      Member #57222
                      December 23, 2007
                      587 Posts
                      Posted: February 29, 2008, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Well Wantmoney,

It seems that I may be the only person that PARTIALLY agrees with you.  Let me began by saying that it depends on your idea of  "young" people.  But I will say- it seems to me that people  who win the lottery are mostly at the senior level.  I know that they need money as well.  But I have seen 83, 69, 72 years olds win the lottery.  Not to say that they can't use the money, but let's face it ( and I know i'm going to catch hell on this one)  It is obvious that they won't be taking an annuity.

But ThatScaryChick is right.  The lottery has no age, no race, no economic situation biases. And  now we can be sure that is does not distinquish between  good and evil people.  The JP can happen to anyone, anywhere. And just like anything in life,  if it is your destiny to win, you will, whether you are 18 or 80, whether you make 30K per year or 13K, whether you play  10 lines per draw  or 1 line per draw.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: February 29, 2008, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I agree and disagree.

Living here in Bonita Springs, I see a lot elderly waiting at the line to play, and that's why they are the main winners. I don't see 18 or 20 year olds standing in line.

Secondly,(this is the part that bugs me), Most of these elderly people I see buying tickets, drive new Cadillacs, Mercedes, and the such. They really don't need the money. I'm not saying that I know which one of them are driving those cars, but I will bet you it's atleast 90 percent based on the type of cars that are here in this neighborhood. Just even looking in the Publix parking lot, there's a sea of new luxury cars. It looks like a  new BMW dealership.

So, in essence, even the rich folks can play, it's a free country. It's the greed that irks me. They live in Bonita Bay which has multi-million dollar homes. I can list atleast 20 gated communities off the top of my head that are comparable or even more luxurious than Bonita Bay, in the immediate area.

I can tell by looking at the person buying the ticket, most of the time, whether they're rich or poor.

My point is....If they're already doing very well, maybe they should leave some for the rest of us poor folk. 

That's all I have to say.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                          Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Um, so if old rich people play the lottery they are greedy?  How does this opinion make you not greedy? You sound bitter and angry that people worked hard all their lives to live in comfort and some luxury in retirement. Maybe if you work hard towards retiring in the same standards as these elderly, and less time being angry at them for trying to win what you consider to be your jackpot, maybe you will be that elderly person someday.

It's like playing the slot machines - you get up from a machine you've been playing for an hour, someone sits down and on the first pull hits the jackpot.  It's not your win to win.  Yours will come when it is your time.

As to the OP's comment, my 21 yr old daughter complains all the time that the sexy sports cars are always driven by old men.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2008, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

You're obviously missing my point, but you have an opinion like I do.

I'll put it this way. Let me draw you a picture.

You pull into a gated community driving an 80,000 luxury car. You drive through to your second gate. You look for your house. You drive in the driveway where there are 2 more cars with 4 garage doors. You take an elevator to the second floor of your 5 million dollar house.

Sure they worked hard for all that. Where did I ever say they didn't? And maybe some just inherited it, who knows.

But my point is that someone who has all that needs more?

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                              Member #50124
                              February 26, 2007
                              601 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2008, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Ban the old rich people from playing, and I'd hate to see the dive the jackpot amounts take.  Gotta have money going in to have prize money coming out.