Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who really need money?

Topic closed. 133 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 8 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I believe it was St. Vincent.

Of course, for "YOU", choice #1 is a cop out.  So, the idiots in Pacs world (everybody) that believe there is a God are misled, are cop outs, and take the easy way out. Your superlative logic and reasoning is undeniably genius.

As you said earlier you have a hunch that there is a problem with the "God" thing,  good for you, and thanks for trying to convince the faithful to reject their God. 

Well, believe it or not, there are billions of people that have the hunch that there is a God, a higher power,  and CHOOSE to believe (faith), and to live their lives as they feel they should, in His hands. 

Well, believe it or not, there are billions of people that have the hunch that there is a God, a higher power

True, so did Hitler. He had a massive following also.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2008, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Well, believe it or not, there are billions of people that have the hunch that there is a God, a higher power

True, so did Hitler. He had a massive following also.

Please explain your  statement, if you could.  What are you saying? Are you saying one of these?

God = Hitler

people of faith = nazis

there are billions of nazis?

the nazis have hunches?

Hitler was a higher power?

Hitler believed in God?

Thanks.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Please explain your  statement, if you could.  What are you saying? Are you saying one of these?

God = Hitler

people of faith = nazis

there are billions of nazis?

the nazis have hunches?

Hitler was a higher power?

Hitler believed in God?

Thanks.

I give up !

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Why?  Are you saying older people don't need shelter, food, medical care and fuel?  It's true that young couples with children usually need more money, college graduates with student loans need money, etc.  But an older person would be able to help their children buy a home, grandparents can help their grandchildren go to college, and they can plan a nice retirement for themselves.  As people age their hiring/earning potential drops, especially when the economy is bad, so I think older people might argue just the opposite.  Then, depending on what you consider to be old, someone in his/her 50s or 60s might have a parent who is ill and needs care.  That costs a lot of money, since most people who are now 80 or more don't have long-term care insurance.

Maybe you just started this thread to be controversial or just for kicks, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. (because that's all I've got!)  

Well thought out; Exactly.  I agree

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2008, 2:44 am - IP Logged

You are incapable of a simple yes or no. You are arguing with yourself.  The reason you go on and on and on is clear, you are not convinced completely that there is no God.  There is doubt somewhere in that vast brain of yours (or your heart)  that you may be wrong. If you have "no doubt" you won't be meeting your maker, you would simply say:

"NO!,  I am not apologising to a non-existent being".

But you keep trying to convince yourself, no way, He ain't there, He hasn't shown Himself to me the way I wan't Him to.  The answer you gave is a contingency plan, another argument with yourself.

Trust, is the wrong word, the word is faith.

You don't have to twist the laws of physics, physicists do that every day, leave it to the professionals.

P.S. You need to re-read psycomos post, the fine print, and I don't thump bibles.

If you don't want his answer to your hypothetical question, maybe you shouldn't be asking hypothetical questions. That he answered does nothing to suggest that he has any doubt about the falsity of the hypothesis.

Most young children have complete faith that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy all exist. That's because they trusted in the people who told them that fairy tale creatures really existed. You're free to call your beliefs faith, but that's just another word for trust.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2008, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Well thought out; Exactly.  I agree

Thanks, mylollipop.  Smiley

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:22 am - IP Logged

If you don't want his answer to your hypothetical question, maybe you shouldn't be asking hypothetical questions. That he answered does nothing to suggest that he has any doubt about the falsity of the hypothesis.

Most young children have complete faith that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy all exist. That's because they trusted in the people who told them that fairy tale creatures really existed. You're free to call your beliefs faith, but that's just another word for trust.

Read the thread.  Use the dictionary, it is in alphabetical order. My faith is exclusive of my trusting anyone, anything.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                Member #26882
                November 23, 2005
                1404 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2008, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I found this quote to be most Interesting, as well as true!

We have grown literally afraid to be poor. We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition.
                William James
                1842-1910
                American Psychologist, Professor, Author

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2008, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

We have grown literally afraid to be poor. We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition.
                  William James
                  1842-1910

Now that is deep.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                    mn
                    United States
                    Member #59040
                    March 4, 2008
                    276 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2008, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

William James
                    1842-1910

there's some truth to that i suppose.

I dont think were afraid to be poor, i think we are discomforted with what poverty brings, which is contradictory with our primary belief systems. These systems promote humbleness and says that the most effective way to achieve this is to lack the desire and temptation of materialistic objects.

United States
                      Member #26882
                      November 23, 2005
                      1404 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2008, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Now that is deep.

I thought it was deep as well, it opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about that subject anyway!

United States
                        Member #26882
                        November 23, 2005
                        1404 Posts
                        Posted: March 14, 2008, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

there's some truth to that i suppose.

I dont think were afraid to be poor, i think we are discomforted with what poverty brings, which is contradictory with our primary belief systems. These systems promote humbleness and says that the most effective way to achieve this is to lack the desire and temptation of materialistic objects.

I was looking long at the last part : "we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition."

When I thought about it, I know many poor people that have great spirit and ambition, however their ambition is not to have money! They put their spirit and ambition into other things that they think are more important than having a lot of money.

And that just because they are poor does not mean they lack those 2 qualities.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                          Member #24380
                          October 21, 2005
                          623 Posts
                          Posted: March 18, 2008, 4:57 am - IP Logged

What an ageist post.  Shame on you.          Dunk

We ALL do, no matter what the age!  I agree---shame on you.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

William James
                            1842-1910

Good quote. Thank you.  I've always agreed with this on a certain level, but the word "poor" has a much different meaning than it did back then. Life in general was much simpler. I mean, nobody owned a car, a TV set, a computer, or a telephone.  Also, the average lifespan was a lot shorter. 

Even when this was written, I doubt if anyone ever "elected" to be hungry or homeless.  If someone lives in a modest home, I don't consider that person poor unless he has no money, no food and can't stay warm in the winter.  To me, simplicity is much different than poverty. 

There are lots of profound, spiritual quotes from years gone by, but when you look deeply into the author's life, you often find that he was merely philosophizing, not living his words.  For example, Henry David Thoreau, who stayed in the woods to be with nature, didn't live without warmth or food. Most of the stories about him are exaggerated. He was from a prominent family in Concord, so that would be like Paris Hilton leaving her home and moving into a 1 bedroom condo.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

When a simple life is a choice, an experiment to get away from it all,  it's not the same as having no choice at all.

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
                              Member #33588
                              February 22, 2006
                              2068 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2008, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I agree and disagree.

Living here in Bonita Springs, I see a lot elderly waiting at the line to play, and that's why they are the main winners. I don't see 18 or 20 year olds standing in line.

Secondly,(this is the part that bugs me), Most of these elderly people I see buying tickets, drive new Cadillacs, Mercedes, and the such. They really don't need the money. I'm not saying that I know which one of them are driving those cars, but I will bet you it's atleast 90 percent based on the type of cars that are here in this neighborhood. Just even looking in the Publix parking lot, there's a sea of new luxury cars. It looks like a  new BMW dealership.

So, in essence, even the rich folks can play, it's a free country. It's the greed that irks me. They live in Bonita Bay which has multi-million dollar homes. I can list atleast 20 gated communities off the top of my head that are comparable or even more luxurious than Bonita Bay, in the immediate area.

I can tell by looking at the person buying the ticket, most of the time, whether they're rich or poor.

My point is....If they're already doing very well, maybe they should leave some for the rest of us poor folk. 

That's all I have to say.

Pacman i am very sorry that a lot of people chose to refuse to understand you. When you make sense still they refuse to understand. I had this trouble before pac , i have been hated on because i looked and sound like somebody's ex. I told them to kiss it. We become good friends later had to make adjustment.