Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who really need money?

Topic closed. 133 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 9 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2008, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I found this quote to be most Interesting, as well as true!

We have grown literally afraid to be poor. We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition.
William James
1842-1910
American Psychologist, Professor, Author

A great quote Clairvoyance.  I think the author's words still ring true today.  It's interesting that the stuff we as human beings are made of never changes even though the world around us does. 

takeemtothebank

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8790 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2008, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

There was a poll here some time ago about age groups of lottery post members.

There were not a whole lot of spring chickens around here if I remember correctly in my old age.

sweetbitterkiss's avatar - hello
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #59499
      March 17, 2008
      54 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2008, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

i am 26 and the one the got my into playing the lotto was my dad i had just started playing like 2 months ago and i think i am doing alry i like to go more by feelings for example like a month ago the mega millions was big i think more than 200K i didnt want to play but something told me to do it and i won 150 dollars not a lot but i was off by 2 numbers and my numbers where close i was so mad but so happy because i didnt had no money and 150 was good at the time and so far everytime i play my numbers are close but not close enought one day one day

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5591 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2008, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Well,

This is probably the most entertaining post I 've read. I am turning 54 in a couple months. I need money because I have a daughter going to college this fall, and a son going to college in 3 years. I think I tip very well. I don't resent wealthy people, though I suppose I envy them. I sell furniture for a living, really really really want to retire. And....

I really don't quite get why anyone gets so angry and starts calling names and telling someone to @#$% off.

And the Bible does say in the book of Romans "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess the Lord is God".

All in all, a very entertaining thread. 

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
          Wilson
          United States
          Member #54516
          August 21, 2007
          2802 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2008, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Well,

This is probably the most entertaining post I 've read. I am turning 54 in a couple months. I need money because I have a daughter going to college this fall, and a son going to college in 3 years. I think I tip very well. I don't resent wealthy people, though I suppose I envy them. I sell furniture for a living, really really really want to retire. And....

I really don't quite get why anyone gets so angry and starts calling names and telling someone to @#$% off.

And the Bible does say in the book of Romans "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess the Lord is God".

I can relate....my need is also great.

I 've got one in and one going in ....this Fall!!

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
            Member #26882
            November 23, 2005
            1404 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2008, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Well,

Good Point! My husband and I are 40 and have a 17 month old baby. So when we are 60 who's going to need lots of money? Us OLD folks that's who! Older people need money to send the young ones off to college!

United States
              Member #26882
              November 23, 2005
              1404 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

A great quote Clairvoyance.  I think the author's words still ring true today.  It's interesting that the stuff we as human beings are made of never changes even though the world around us does. 

I Agree! Now thats something else to think about!

United States
                Member #26882
                November 23, 2005
                1404 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Good quote. Thank you.  I've always agreed with this on a certain level, but the word "poor" has a much different meaning than it did back then. Life in general was much simpler. I mean, nobody owned a car, a TV set, a computer, or a telephone.  Also, the average lifespan was a lot shorter. 

Even when this was written, I doubt if anyone ever "elected" to be hungry or homeless.  If someone lives in a modest home, I don't consider that person poor unless he has no money, no food and can't stay warm in the winter.  To me, simplicity is much different than poverty. 

There are lots of profound, spiritual quotes from years gone by, but when you look deeply into the author's life, you often find that he was merely philosophizing, not living his words.  For example, Henry David Thoreau, who stayed in the woods to be with nature, didn't live without warmth or food. Most of the stories about him are exaggerated. He was from a prominent family in Concord, so that would be like Paris Hilton leaving her home and moving into a 1 bedroom condo.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

When a simple life is a choice, an experiment to get away from it all,  it's not the same as having no choice at all.

"Also, the average lifespan was a lot shorter."

True, however, my experience in the last 7 years, in the natural health industry, I am seeing more and more people drop over with sudden heart failure! I'm talking about in the 40 to 50 range. Four years ago, a friend of mine, age 34, died from heart failure. All of these people were taking some type of prescription drug. But that is another story!

I think it is safe to say the lifespan is getting shorter again. Makes you wonder about population control hey?

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
                  Wilson
                  United States
                  Member #54516
                  August 21, 2007
                  2802 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2008, 1:07 am - IP Logged

"Also, the average lifespan was a lot shorter."

True, however, my experience in the last 7 years, in the natural health industry, I am seeing more and more people drop over with sudden heart failure! I'm talking about in the 40 to 50 range. Four years ago, a friend of mine, age 34, died from heart failure. All of these people were taking some type of prescription drug. But that is another story!

I think it is safe to say the lifespan is getting shorter again. Makes you wonder about population control hey?

u hit the nail on the head.

some truth in , "early to bed..early to rise makes a man wealthy..healthy and wise". (and I'm online at 1AM)...LOL.

....and this one" are we like sheep?".dial-up....roadrunner...DSL..faster..faster more ....shortcuts for everything..microwaves....convection ovens......gameboys....xboxes....now that we are fat and lazy....we go to the other end of the spectrum....wii...being fat is no longer a condition its a DISEASE...therefore treatable with a pill....eat leafy green veggies....oh wait...contamination with fecal matter....salmonella..mad cow.......well water...tap water...bottle water...contaminated water...NO WATER....

EXERCISE....heartsmart.....quality of life.....it's no wonder folks are confused!

God gave everybody common sense.....WAKE UP PEOPLE AND USE IT!!!

Rant............whew...where did all that come from?

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2008, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Just read this last post and it reminds me of the time I joined a gym and a couple of weeks later I walked in after work, and the manager was holding a refund check in her hand.  Talk about rejection!  I guess she thought I was too weak and would get hurt working out. Kicked out of a gym? Wonder if that's a first? Too scrawny to be brawny.  LOL

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2008, 9:40 am - IP Logged
                        rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                        mn
                        United States
                        Member #59040
                        March 4, 2008
                        276 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2008, 10:06 am - IP Logged

hilarious context

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1272 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2008, 10:41 am - IP Logged

Just read this last post and it reminds me of the time I joined a gym and a couple of weeks later I walked in after work, and the manager was holding a refund check in her hand.  Talk about rejection!  I guess she thought I was too weak and would get hurt working out. Kicked out of a gym? Wonder if that's a first? Too scrawny to be brawny.  LOL

They were probably afraid you would sue them if you got hurt.  That's a story worthy of a newspaper headline.
                          Roll Eyes

And regarding this thread: of course I need money. I want to live comfortably like any upper middle class or upper class people.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                            mn
                            United States
                            Member #59040
                            March 4, 2008
                            276 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2008, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

A better question is who really doesn't need money, which bizarre enough you would receive the same answers as stated above.