Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Predicting number patterns?

Topic closed. 102 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #70630
February 7, 2009
734 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2009, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

If you enter a number on a search through the lines you get that number and a lot of other numbers you don't want, if you search for the space of the number you get the spaces that represent that number through the Lotto any Lotto and that is where the true answer lays so if he can find 3 numbers by using numbers try using the space and it may drag up the other numbers with them shown by a space, there are some examples of spaces in my blogs and they give you all 6 numbers.

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
    Member #73037
    April 3, 2009
    147 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2009, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi Knucklehead. That would be interesting to see if the past numbers could be fed into a math formula to predict the future numbers. (I'm assuming that's what you mean) Maybe you need a trip to the library or better yet the book store to find a book about calculus that would explain the formulas.

Afternoon ca-dreamin,

Have been reading posts. Decided to place a call to the local college. Have an appointment on Wednesday with a professor of Mathematics & Computer Sciences to discuss my idea. Let all of you know what happens... Thank you all for the intrest in my idea...

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Chicago
      United States
      Member #70678
      February 8, 2009
      889 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2009, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Afternoon ca-dreamin,

Have been reading posts. Decided to place a call to the local college. Have an appointment on Wednesday with a professor of Mathematics & Computer Sciences to discuss my idea. Let all of you know what happens... Thank you all for the intrest in my idea...

LOL Knucklehead I was gonna say go to a local university and find a math geek! I wish you the best in getting the answers your looking for!

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2009, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

I agree with that as well RJOH. But I for one can say before I started looking at the patterns I had almost no success picking numbers for the Super Lotto Plus. I've had more success this past month picking numbers from patterns I see than I had the previous three years combined when I would randomly just pick numbers.

So you use patterns.  That's good ( I think).  Do you go one step further and assign a numerical number to those patterns?  By numerical number, I mean either a 1 or a 0.  I use the number 1 to indicate that the pattern was present for that particular draw and the zero to indicate that the pattern was absent. 

Using these binary numbers, I then string them together and determine the decimal equivalent.  This step has produce absolutely nothing of value; nothing that I can see.  Yet I continue.  What's that definition of insanity again?  Oh, yeah.  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Call me insane  but I feel there is something there.  If I were a tad smarter maybe I could figure it out.

Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2009, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

So you use patterns.  That's good ( I think).  Do you go one step further and assign a numerical number to those patterns?  By numerical number, I mean either a 1 or a 0.  I use the number 1 to indicate that the pattern was present for that particular draw and the zero to indicate that the pattern was absent. 

Using these binary numbers, I then string them together and determine the decimal equivalent.  This step has produce absolutely nothing of value; nothing that I can see.  Yet I continue.  What's that definition of insanity again?  Oh, yeah.  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Call me insane  but I feel there is something there.  If I were a tad smarter maybe I could figure it out.

Hi Gasmeterguy! You may be on to something! I always look at past drawings for any patterns to help choose the numbers I want to play but.......I've never thought of tracking what patterns were present for each individual draw. Now I'm wondering if certain patterns fall together if that could be used to predict what the next set of patterns will be.  A set of patterns within the patterns. LOL I hope I didn't lose you on that one. Definitely another angle to look at! Right now I'm trying to focus only on Little Lotto  5/39 and I do everything pencil and paper but I think it  would be worth it to LOL start tracking everything I can think of. If I come up with anything I will definitely share. If nothing else maybe it will help me see which patterns are especially important to look at.

Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2009, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Hi Gasmeterguy! You may be on to something! I always look at past drawings for any patterns to help choose the numbers I want to play but.......I've never thought of tracking what patterns were present for each individual draw. Now I'm wondering if certain patterns fall together if that could be used to predict what the next set of patterns will be.  A set of patterns within the patterns. LOL I hope I didn't lose you on that one. Definitely another angle to look at! Right now I'm trying to focus only on Little Lotto  5/39 and I do everything pencil and paper but I think it  would be worth it to LOL start tracking everything I can think of. If I come up with anything I will definitely share. If nothing else maybe it will help me see which patterns are especially important to look at.

Ok a quick update. I've been looking at Little Lotto 5/39 from 2/1 to present. Normally I look at the last 5 games for an overall view and from there I look to see what the individual numbers are doing. I still want to go back and see what the ind. numbers have been doing(and compare that to the patterns within each line) but for the sake of my above post I looked for patterns within each line and compared the lines.(To see if certain patterns fell together and if that created any other patterns to fall together.) There are still a few things I may go back through and look for but so far nothing stands out. : (

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2009, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I can understand that "nothing stands out" feeling.  There have been several moments when I thought I had gone about as far as I could with the pattern thing.  Yet I continued to think about what I had and where I wanted to go. 

Soon other ideas popped into my head.  Some proved worthwhile whereas others failed miserably.  Looking back, I am amazed by what I have done.  Yes, I surprised myself.

So keep thinking about your methods.  Soon you might think of a pattern and, after back testing, find some success.

Right now, today, I am standing clueless about what to do next.  I am not "there" nor do I have one iota of what to try next.  What I need is a road trip.  I do my best thinking driving 70 mph on I-40.  Most if not all of my ideas came to me while behind the wheel.

thudpucker's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                Bethel AL
                United States
                Member #73324
                April 11, 2009
                24 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2009, 3:55 am - IP Logged

You guy's math vocabulary is killing my head!

Some time ago I wrote down 200 numbers (Ohio's 5 number draw)

I analyzed those 200 for frequency of first number drawn. Whooee, that was exhaustive and I think I pretty well proved to myself that if you used 1,000,000 lines of draw, looking for sequence of first drawn, that all the numbers would line up like a Bell curve.   WIth the least drawn numbers on one end, the most drawn on the other end and in the middle of the arc you'd have most of the numbers, and that 'most' would have all been first-drawn about the same number of times. Really no help at all.

I tried to find a sequence of First drawn numbers.  I went to the least Significant numbers (no matter which order they were drawn) and found a sort of sequence. That's what I used for my first number. It seemed to work pretty well. I played on Ohio's money for 8 months.

Then I took the first-drawn numbers and found the three number combinations, most often included with the first-drawn. That provided better results. I began to hit the 'Free ticket' almost every time.

Then I started trying to pick the last number of the five, based on the Group of Three's. I wound up hitting (when I did hit) 4/5 several times. Between $100 and $400 each time. Loved it!

What was confusing was the Group-of-Three's and the last number came up more often than the first number I picked.  I'd get the first (least significant number) wrong, but the last four came up right.

In the end, I think I was just lucky. But I did have a good time trying. Like picking the good horses off the racing form. The thinking was more fun than the gaming.

So wha kind of math was I doing? Does it have a name?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19824 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2009, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Afternoon ca-dreamin,

Haven't heard from you and was wondering if the professor gave you a dose of reality or what. Oogle

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2009, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I can understand that "nothing stands out" feeling.  There have been several moments when I thought I had gone about as far as I could with the pattern thing.  Yet I continued to think about what I had and where I wanted to go. 

Soon other ideas popped into my head.  Some proved worthwhile whereas others failed miserably.  Looking back, I am amazed by what I have done.  Yes, I surprised myself.

So keep thinking about your methods.  Soon you might think of a pattern and, after back testing, find some success.

Right now, today, I am standing clueless about what to do next.  I am not "there" nor do I have one iota of what to try next.  What I need is a road trip.  I do my best thinking driving 70 mph on I-40.  Most if not all of my ideas came to me while behind the wheel.

Yah I'm trying to keep an open mind to see if anything pops out at me. I still want to see how base numbers fit into all of this and I asked my daughter what  algorithms are LOL! I haven't even touched on gap sequence or tried to find a pattern with the +'s and -'s  in numbers from one game to the next. I have a tendency to look for overall patterns and from there I spend more time looking at what the ind. numbers are doing. Then it becomes a guessing game as to which numbers I think have the best chance of hitting next.  I'll keep thinking  : )

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5591 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2009, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Ok, I'll tell ya'll what I've been doing, with not much success I might add, and maybe someone there smarter than me can suggest a better use for my excel files. Since 2005, I have kept track of each number's position. For example, in MM, the number "2" has played 42 times in the 1st position, and 2 times in the 2nd position. Obviously, a total of 44 times. This is over a total of 444 drawings. So, for each number, I know how many times it's played in each position, and total number of times played. I also use this info to determine which "decade" plays most often in which position. In other words the "singles" play most in the 1st position, the "teens" most in the 2nd position, "20's" in the 3rd, "40's" in the 4th, and "50's" in the 5th. The three very best numbers in terms of most times drawn (again over 444 draws) is 14, 25, and 46. So I usually make it a point to play those three. I have tried playing combinations strictly by position, for ex, the number "14" has played 26 times in the 1st position, which is the best for any number that is not a "single", that is "1 - 9". This is useful if I decide a single going to skip a drawing. I used to play only the most frequently drawn numbers, but it dawned on me that the winning combinations are never made up of only numbers that play the most often. Of course I hoped to hit smaller prizes at least. Finally, what I am going to do next week is cut certain decades. For ex, in MM I'm not playing any singles or "50's". Reducing the field of numbers dramatically reduces the odds, but only if the drawing cooperates, of course, LOL.

Anyway, I do this for Texas Cash 5, Texas 2 Step, Tx Lotto, and MM. Actually even the daily numbers games although I rarely play those games anymore. I feel like I am not using the info I keep to its fullest extent, but I have run out of ideas.

Are there any nuggets of wisdom out there?

By the way, I don't play 20 lines each drawing. Just way too much $. I understand the chances are better with more lines, but with a kid in college who happens to be high maintenance that just ain't in the cards. S I try to do with 1 or 2 lines.

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
                        Member #73037
                        April 3, 2009
                        147 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2009, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Haven't heard from you and was wondering if the professor gave you a dose of reality or what. Oogle

I spent approx. 1 1/2 hours with a professor at the local college on Wednesday afternoon (4/8/09). I explained my idea, fairly indepth, to him. He settled on creating a formula that takes "odds" into the formula. I couldn't steer him off that idea. He also couldn't design the formula that he envisioned without more research.

I have read through more internet posts, some that describe what I'm looking to do, but they have "Algorithms" in them. I don't know how to write an "Algorithm", so I'm doing a lot more reading and self teaching now.

I'll let all of you know what I discover...and if I can get something to work...

Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: April 12, 2009, 11:28 am - IP Logged

You guy's math vocabulary is killing my head!

Some time ago I wrote down 200 numbers (Ohio's 5 number draw)

I analyzed those 200 for frequency of first number drawn. Whooee, that was exhaustive and I think I pretty well proved to myself that if you used 1,000,000 lines of draw, looking for sequence of first drawn, that all the numbers would line up like a Bell curve.   WIth the least drawn numbers on one end, the most drawn on the other end and in the middle of the arc you'd have most of the numbers, and that 'most' would have all been first-drawn about the same number of times. Really no help at all.

I tried to find a sequence of First drawn numbers.  I went to the least Significant numbers (no matter which order they were drawn) and found a sort of sequence. That's what I used for my first number. It seemed to work pretty well. I played on Ohio's money for 8 months.

Then I took the first-drawn numbers and found the three number combinations, most often included with the first-drawn. That provided better results. I began to hit the 'Free ticket' almost every time.

Then I started trying to pick the last number of the five, based on the Group of Three's. I wound up hitting (when I did hit) 4/5 several times. Between $100 and $400 each time. Loved it!

What was confusing was the Group-of-Three's and the last number came up more often than the first number I picked.  I'd get the first (least significant number) wrong, but the last four came up right.

In the end, I think I was just lucky. But I did have a good time trying. Like picking the good horses off the racing form. The thinking was more fun than the gaming.

So wha kind of math was I doing? Does it have a name?

WOW!!!!! What kind of math? LOL I'm far from being a Lotto expert but I would say the kind that works! OK getting ideas here! I wouldn't call hitting 4/ 5 several times luck! I would stick with your method and after you select your numbers go back and take another look at that first number to see if there's a better fit.  You didn't say if you wheel a set of numbers or if you choose one line of numbers to play. If it's the latter I would play the set of 5 but I would also play one or two other lines changing only that first number.  5/5 is within your reach!!!

Chicago
                            United States
                            Member #70678
                            February 8, 2009
                            889 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I spent approx. 1 1/2 hours with a professor at the local college on Wednesday afternoon (4/8/09). I explained my idea, fairly indepth, to him. He settled on creating a formula that takes "odds" into the formula. I couldn't steer him off that idea. He also couldn't design the formula that he envisioned without more research.

I have read through more internet posts, some that describe what I'm looking to do, but they have "Algorithms" in them. I don't know how to write an "Algorithm", so I'm doing a lot more reading and self teaching now.

I'll let all of you know what I discover...and if I can get something to work...

Hey Knucklehead! That's great that he was able to come up with a formula(even though I know you didn't want odds factored in) Was he willing to do more research?  Keep reading and don't give up.......soon you'll be writing your own formulas!

NASHVILLE, TENN
                              United States
                              Member #33372
                              February 20, 2006
                              1044 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

An algorithm ( or Algorithym) is nothing more than a sequence of steps one takes to reach an objective.  Computer code is an algorithm.  Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing are all algorithms.  Going to the store and taking the same path each and every time is an algorithm ( altho not a very concrete one ).