Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Predicting number patterns?

Topic closed. 102 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #41846
June 23, 2006
460 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2009, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to check the color of a cell?? Can use an 'IF' with Cells(x, y).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 to check it's color??

Turtle0747  color is an object so I would think so. the problem is getting the correct syntax. I've not tried to do it that way, I'm setting a color based on some condition.  to be sure I understand you are checking for an interior color and it will be a known color as in 1-9 for example.  interesting problem i'll see if I can find the answer.

p8

United States
    Member #41846
    June 23, 2006
    460 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2009, 9:05 am - IP Logged

turtle 0747

see below you can google mrexcel ,and at the end fill in the required w's and m for Pearson site.  these are for functions but with slight modifcation will do what you want i think.

p8

mrexcel

Past Tip of the Day

Emily asks, "Please could you advise the formular solution for counting the number of cells that have a particular backgorund colour (i.e. these cells contain some data however the colour is what's important in order to count them).

"Logically I feel it should follow a standard formular i.e.

CountIF(A01:A55,"backgroundcolour=red")

I believe the colour red should be identified by the number 3 (according the the help file)

I need to know how to code the background cell colour i.e. colorfill?, backgroundcolour?, interior.color?...???

Emily - if only it were that easy. You need to have a User Defined Function in VBA. Below is the code for the function. You need to enter this in a new code module in the workbook. If you are unfamiliar with VBA, read this page.

Once you have the code entered, you can use this formula:

=countcolor(A1:A99,D2)

Where D2 has the background format that you want to count.

Here is the code:

Function CountColor(Rng As Range, RngColor As Range) As Integer

Dim Cll As Range

Dim Clr As Long

Clr = RngColor.Range("A1").Interior.Color

For Each Cll In Rng

If Cll.Interior.Color = Clr Then

CountColor = CountColor + 1

End If

Next Cll

End Function

_ _ _cpearson.co_ /excel/colors.aspx         better description of whats happening

leesburg, fl
      United States
      Member #53062
      June 22, 2007
      596 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2009, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the help! It looks simple to do. Will check out the page.

Thanks again.

United States
        Member #119
        February 19, 2002
        527 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2009, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Good day all. Very glad to have discovered this site.

I've new to this site. I have attempted to read a lot of the posts to understand how things work, while looking through them for info.

I'm afraid that I'm already lost. I keep reading through formulas and discussions that have "odds" built into them. Why do "odds" need to be calculated into the formulas? My idea is to analize past draws to find a pattern to the numbers that have already been drawn, then to extend that pattern to futue numbers not yet drawn. Has anyone done this before? Can something like this be done?

Thank you for any directions that I can be pointed into...

Number patterns cannot be "predicted" but they CAN be ANTICIPATED.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19891 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2009, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Same thing goes for numbers too, but anticipating the right pattern with the right numbers might get you closer to the winning combination.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
            Member #73037
            April 3, 2009
            147 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2009, 7:57 am - IP Logged

Morning All,

Thank you Greg, I stand corrected, "Anticipated" is a better description of what I am attempting to figure out.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't understand why "Odds" need to be calculated into a formula that "analyzes" past draws for any "patterns" to "anticipate" the next drawing results.

Would someone please, take the time, to explain this in plain english (not tech terms) for me and any others reading this so that "us non-mathmaticians" and "non-programers" can understand better. In my mind, it should be fairly simple, with the right formula, to "anticipate". I keep getting "stuck", reading all of the PDF files I've been reading because they include "odds" calculations. As I said, maybe I'm just "dense" or have a mental block to the idea.

I would be interested  in reading any explanations that can shed some light.

Thanks all...

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2009, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Morning All,

Thank you Greg, I stand corrected, "Anticipated" is a better description of what I am attempting to figure out.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't understand why "Odds" need to be calculated into a formula that "analyzes" past draws for any "patterns" to "anticipate" the next drawing results.

Would someone please, take the time, to explain this in plain english (not tech terms) for me and any others reading this so that "us non-mathmaticians" and "non-programers" can understand better. In my mind, it should be fairly simple, with the right formula, to "anticipate". I keep getting "stuck", reading all of the PDF files I've been reading because they include "odds" calculations. As I said, maybe I'm just "dense" or have a mental block to the idea.

I would be interested  in reading any explanations that can shed some light.

Thanks all...

Are you asking what "odds" are, or are you asking why anyone would bother with them?

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                Member #73037
                April 3, 2009
                147 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2009, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Are you asking what "odds" are, or are you asking why anyone would bother with them?

time*treat,

I understand what "odds" are and why they would be placed into calculations. What I don't comprehend is "why" they are needed to "anticipate" the possible "next draw" after "analizing" past draws. Wouldn't it simply be "analize" and "anticipate"? Why would you also need to calculate the "odds"?

Thanks for asking...

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2009, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Oh. The technical people want to hit that next draw. What they are doing is trying to figure out how often a thing "should" happen versus how often a thing has "actually" happened... and play accordingly, either with or against the trend. Type 

Plenty of non-technical people hit with just a quick pick or using birthdays or whatever... which makes technical people... Bang Head

The money will spend the same, either way. Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19891 Posts
                    Posted: April 22, 2009, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

time*treat,

I understand what "odds" are and why they would be placed into calculations. What I don't comprehend is "why" they are needed to "anticipate" the possible "next draw" after "analizing" past draws. Wouldn't it simply be "analize" and "anticipate"? Why would you also need to calculate the "odds"?

Thanks for asking...

Odds are only needed by those players who aren't 100% right 100% of the time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #41846
                      June 23, 2006
                      460 Posts
                      Posted: April 22, 2009, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

knucklehead

when you use the words analize and anticipate you are implying that you want to base your selection on something other than a guess.  what do you want to use as a selection criteria?  if not odds and probability what would you use that is not merely a guess.  its difficult to write  a formula  thats based on a guess.  The human brain can take several bits of information combine them and arrive at a guess based on those bits. computers can't make that leap yet.  computers are great at digesting lots of information and spitting out odds and stats. its terrible at guessing.  combine the human brains ability to reason and a computers ability to digest facts and you can often significantly inprove you chance of selecting winning numbers.

if it were as simple as using odds and some reasoning to win we would have a winner in every jackpot game.  odds can only take you so far. our reasoning can only go so far.  there are so many unknown variables that in the end our selections are a guess based on the little info we know.  Look at the predictions on the prediction board. there will be several combinations that are similiar, but most will be all over the place, because different people put different emphasis on different things.

the thread RJOH started for megamillions was an effort to show the reasoning behind the number selection process to inprove the process

the people on this site all share an interest in the various lotteries, most willingly share ideas, and most are looking for the means and methods to inprove thier game.

good luck to you

p8

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: April 22, 2009, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Oh. The technical people want to hit that next draw. What they are doing is trying to figure out how often a thing "should" happen versus how often a thing has "actually" happened... and play accordingly, either with or against the trend. Type 

Plenty of non-technical people hit with just a quick pick or using birthdays or whatever... which makes technical people... Bang Head

The money will spend the same, either way. Cool

I look at past draws to "anticipate" LOL what patterns should  happen next and thus pick my numbers accordingly. Even though I don't calculate what "should" happen versus what has "actually" happened.......in a sense I'm still factoring in the odds(maybe not as accurately) by choosing one pattern over another. I guess at some point you still have to look at the odds. The same thing goes for the numbers. If I choose one number over another because based on it's past performance I think it has a better chance of showing.........I'm still basing it on odds and not simply because I like it better.

KnuckleHead maybe what you need is a formula that will analize your game and give you all the statistics. Patterns within each line as well as the history of each ball. (I honestly don't know if this is possible.) Simply all the facts of what has happened in the past.

Then you could decide what patterns and/or numbers you "anticipate" and feed this into another formula that would give you the best possibilities. Again I  honestly don't even know if this is possible........... but I'm putting this idea out there anyway because even if it can't be done.........maybe it will spark an idea that is possible. LOL maybe there's lottery software that already does this. Anyway just a suggestion.

United States
                          Member #73037
                          April 3, 2009
                          147 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2009, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Now these are the kinds of discussions and ideas that get ya ta thinkin...

Thank you and keep em commin...

NASHVILLE, TENN
                            United States
                            Member #33372
                            February 20, 2006
                            1044 Posts
                            Posted: April 26, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Same thing goes for numbers too, but anticipating the right pattern with the right numbers might get you closer to the winning combination.

RJOH

The above is my philosophy and the direction I have been prusing for several years now.  I feel that once you anticipate the pattern correctly, the numbers ( or rather lots of combinations ) will follow.

Now is there a pattern within the patterns?  That is the question.  And, if so, what would those "higher" patterns tell us?

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                              Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: April 26, 2009, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

The above is my philosophy and the direction I have been prusing for several years now.  I feel that once you anticipate the pattern correctly, the numbers ( or rather lots of combinations ) will follow.

Now is there a pattern within the patterns?  That is the question.  And, if so, what would those "higher" patterns tell us?

"Is there a pattern within the patterns?"  That's what I've started to look for but so far nothing stands out.(This is the trying to see whatever it is I don't see) I've only been looking at the last few months though. I'm sure I need to look much further back. I was hoping that when certain patterns fell together maybe then other patterns would fall. Maybe it's a little more complicated like when patterns x and y fall, then pattern z falls then pattern x falls again  then____pattern will follow. Who knows. Maybe it's more subtle like certain patterns need to fall(not necessarily together) and then a certain pattern(or even series of patterns) will follow. I haven't tried looking for a few days so maybe it's time to look again. It really takes an open mind when you look.

As far as the pattern within the patterns.....I think it's very possible!