Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Predicting number patterns?

Topic closed. 102 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #41846
June 23, 2006
460 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

billybuoy

I looked at some of your blog. I don't understand what i was looking at or what I should be looking for.  The way you have the numbers arranged is different.  is this a before the draw or after arrangement?  the way the hits line up was very interesting. I would like to hear more about your methods.

p8

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2009, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

I spent approx. 1 1/2 hours with a professor at the local college on Wednesday afternoon (4/8/09). I explained my idea, fairly indepth, to him. He settled on creating a formula that takes "odds" into the formula. I couldn't steer him off that idea. He also couldn't design the formula that he envisioned without more research.

I have read through more internet posts, some that describe what I'm looking to do, but they have "Algorithms" in them. I don't know how to write an "Algorithm", so I'm doing a lot more reading and self teaching now.

I'll let all of you know what I discover...and if I can get something to work...

Thanks for the update, sounds like he didn't steer you in a different direction.  I too have been looking into number distribution patterns of previous drawings and believe while I can't predict the outcome of the next drawing, I can improve my odds of a win by using the most popular number distribution patterns.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19900 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2009, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I'll tell ya'll what I've been doing, with not much success I might add, and maybe someone there smarter than me can suggest a better use for my excel files. Since 2005, I have kept track of each number's position. For example, in MM, the number "2" has played 42 times in the 1st position, and 2 times in the 2nd position. Obviously, a total of 44 times. This is over a total of 444 drawings. So, for each number, I know how many times it's played in each position, and total number of times played. I also use this info to determine which "decade" plays most often in which position. In other words the "singles" play most in the 1st position, the "teens" most in the 2nd position, "20's" in the 3rd, "40's" in the 4th, and "50's" in the 5th. The three very best numbers in terms of most times drawn (again over 444 draws) is 14, 25, and 46. So I usually make it a point to play those three. I have tried playing combinations strictly by position, for ex, the number "14" has played 26 times in the 1st position, which is the best for any number that is not a "single", that is "1 - 9". This is useful if I decide a single going to skip a drawing. I used to play only the most frequently drawn numbers, but it dawned on me that the winning combinations are never made up of only numbers that play the most often. Of course I hoped to hit smaller prizes at least. Finally, what I am going to do next week is cut certain decades. For ex, in MM I'm not playing any singles or "50's". Reducing the field of numbers dramatically reduces the odds, but only if the drawing cooperates, of course, LOL.

Anyway, I do this for Texas Cash 5, Texas 2 Step, Tx Lotto, and MM. Actually even the daily numbers games although I rarely play those games anymore. I feel like I am not using the info I keep to its fullest extent, but I have run out of ideas.

Are there any nuggets of wisdom out there?

By the way, I don't play 20 lines each drawing. Just way too much $. I understand the chances are better with more lines, but with a kid in college who happens to be high maintenance that just ain't in the cards. S I try to do with 1 or 2 lines.

I've also tracked the MegaMillions numbers since 05/17/02 when its name changed from BigGame and it started in Ohio, but I only look at patterns for the last 397 games from 06/24/05 when the matrix changed from 5/52+1/52 to 5/56+1/46. 

In another thread I pick 20 lines to play each drawing but so far I haven't had much luck getting anything better than a 0+1 or a 3+0.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2009, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

An algorithm ( or Algorithym) is nothing more than a sequence of steps one takes to reach an objective.  Computer code is an algorithm.  Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing are all algorithms.  Going to the store and taking the same path each and every time is an algorithm ( altho not a very concrete one ).

Ok thanks so much for defining this. HAHA no wonder my daughters reply was " an algorithm for what?"

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5760 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2009, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I've also tracked the MegaMillions numbers since 05/17/02 when its name changed from BigGame and it started in Ohio, but I only look at patterns for the last 397 games from 06/24/05 when the matrix changed from 5/52+1/52 to 5/56+1/46. 

In another thread I pick 20 lines to play each drawing but so far I haven't had much luck getting anything better than a 0+1 or a 3+0.

Yeah RJ, I've been watching your posts on that thread. I think that it just goes to show the incredible odds against winning even small prizes, cause I can see the work you put into your picks. I typically play 2 lines with the megaplier. I mean, you play 20 bucks and win 2 or maybe 3. So far this year I have played $84 and won $8. Not knocking how you play, I just like to play the other games too, and have to spread my money.

I read somewhere BobP recommended just focus on one game and put all your resources on it. I think about that alot, and it makes sense, but I like to be all of them, even if just for a buck.

I'm trying to figure out  if I can utilize my files better. Maybe not.

Good luck in your future draws.

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
            Member #73037
            April 3, 2009
            147 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2009, 10:35 am - IP Logged

An algorithm ( or Algorithym) is nothing more than a sequence of steps one takes to reach an objective.  Computer code is an algorithm.  Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing are all algorithms.  Going to the store and taking the same path each and every time is an algorithm ( altho not a very concrete one ).

Morning everyone,

I realize that an "algorithym" is nothing more than a mathmatical equation, but, ca-dreaming's daugther is probably better at math than I am. (haha)

Now, with that being said, an "algorithym" or "mathmatical equation" and the associated computer commands needed to create a "function" for each cell, or, to create a "visual basic/script" that would run on command, has to be programed to analize several different possibilities.  That is also a problem, since I don't know or understand programing language either.

As I said, it's a learning progress that I'm trying to understand. So, if anyone has a large script of headache medicines, please, send them to me. (LOL)

Now to my next point. There are several downloadable programs on the web that are either free, or you would have to pay for them, but where is the fun in that? How much can you learn from downloading a program that does it all for you?I for one like a good challange...

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: April 13, 2009, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Morning everyone,

I realize that an "algorithym" is nothing more than a mathmatical equation, but, ca-dreaming's daugther is probably better at math than I am. (haha)

Now, with that being said, an "algorithym" or "mathmatical equation" and the associated computer commands needed to create a "function" for each cell, or, to create a "visual basic/script" that would run on command, has to be programed to analize several different possibilities.  That is also a problem, since I don't know or understand programing language either.

As I said, it's a learning progress that I'm trying to understand. So, if anyone has a large script of headache medicines, please, send them to me. (LOL)

Now to my next point. There are several downloadable programs on the web that are either free, or you would have to pay for them, but where is the fun in that? How much can you learn from downloading a program that does it all for you?I for one like a good challange...

LOL KnuckleHead! Math isn't one of my daughters strong points. I was good at math but OMG it's been so long I can't even remember basic algebra.

And I was just thinking last night I may need to learn some more math haha just to figure out  LOL whatever it is I'm trying to figure out.  HAHA maybe you'll be teaching us.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                United States
                Member #33372
                February 20, 2006
                1044 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2009, 1:24 am - IP Logged

Morning everyone,

If you do not have Excel, go buy a copy NOW!  While you are out and about, stop in at your favorite bookstore and purchase a copy of "VBA for Dummies".  That's what I did and I am grateful that I did.  Keeping up with the draws is easy.  Learning something new is priceless.  Using your newfound knowledge to discover what you want to know is even more priceless (if such is possible). 

Now you are ready to consider what you think needs exploring for you will have the tools necessary to do that exploring.  With a few keystrokes, you can code the computer to look for all the winning combinations that contain three odd/two even numbers, or those with repeating numbers, or those with consecutive numbers, or those........well, you get the idea.

Your journey thru LottoLand should be rewarding in more ways than hitting the jackpot.  You should learn something along the way.  And what you learn can never be taken away.  Hitting the jackpot would be nice but knowledge, knowledge gained by your own endeavors, will much more satisfying than 20 million dollars (did I just say that?  Man!  I'm so full of it tonight).

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
                  Member #73037
                  April 3, 2009
                  147 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2009, 8:35 am - IP Logged

GASMETERGUY -

Did you really say "more satisfying than winning $20 M"?, knowledge is great, but "green backs" are great too.

Program = Lotus 123 It's all I've used since I turned on my first computer. I haven't done a whole lot of creating/writing my own "scripts" though. I don't comprend the "events, variables, etc." I do understand that Excel's Visual Basic is very similar. Therefore, as I look through different examples, I see the same things. I need to have a better understanding of how it works to be able to create/write what my minds idea is telling me.

Remember, a computer program will only do what it is told to do and in the order it's told to do it, and nothing more. It's the more and in what order that I need to figure out how to create/write.

I already keep past draws in several different configurations. Visually, it's interesting to look at. That's why I want to create a formula/script that can look for the patterns that I can already see, but my hope would be that whatever I create would do so with better results.

And as for ca-dreamin's daugther, she is still probably better at math than I am, I stink at math. (Bad teachers that didn't care when I was in school).

Long Island, NY
                    United States
                    Member #57412
                    January 3, 2008
                    419 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to suggest you include the theories associated with the distribution of Prime numbers in your analysis.

Great mathematics minds have tried to prove it's relativity/relationship to random distribution....and alot of other things in the world of physics.

I have been studying this lately and there is something there that is useable.

leesburg, fl
                      United States
                      Member #53062
                      June 22, 2007
                      596 Posts
                      Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

Is VBA embedded in Excel?? How do you bring it up??

thanks

United States
                        Member #41846
                        June 23, 2006
                        460 Posts
                        Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Is VBA embedded in Excel?? How do you bring it up??

thanks

yes.  alt F11 will open a window.  if you record a macro then use the alt F11 you can view the code .

check out gasmeterguys blog for some basics on how to write your program.  there are several good tutorials on the web.  several people here are very helpful. Time treat helped me over a couple of obstacles.  things that are in fact simple can be mountains if you don't know how its done.  If I can help just ask.

p8

leesburg, fl
                          United States
                          Member #53062
                          June 22, 2007
                          596 Posts
                          Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

thanks

leesburg, fl
                            United States
                            Member #53062
                            June 22, 2007
                            596 Posts
                            Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to check a group of cells and change a color if the cell equals a certain number??

United States
                              Member #41846
                              June 23, 2006
                              460 Posts
                              Posted: April 14, 2009, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to check a group of cells and change a color if the cell equals a certain number??

this was what got me started using VBA.  within excel conditional formating will let you have or setup 3 conditions. for Pick4 I wanted 4 so that i could enter my guess and see where those # had occured recently.  this file assumes you have pick4 data or any numeric data starting at row 4 col B,C,D,E through 40  you culd have much more but unless you change some numbers thats all it will look at.  open your spreadsheet  press alt f11 create a macro  lets call it color.  this creates an empty subroutine.  copy and paste (type it if your a glutton for punishment) the file below then x out to your spreadsheet. Now F8 and select color to see it work  enter your 4 # choices press enter after each . if you get that far we can talk about setting a command button

enjoy

p8

Range("A1:d30").Select 'selects range of cells

' Selection.ClearContents' removes any numbers that might be there

' Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = 0 ' removes any color you might have had

' this will let you input 4 numbers to use the "red" "data" are info to you type=1 tells the program ' that its a number type 2 would be text

c2 = Application.InputBox("Red", "data", Type:=1)

c3 = Application.InputBox("Blue ", "data", Type:=1)

c4 = Application.InputBox("Green", "data", Type:=1)

c5 = Application.InputBox("Yellow", "data", Type:=1)

'type = 1, for integers'

' this takes the data you entered and puts it on your spreadsheet row 2 col 2,3,4,5

Cells(2, 1).Value = c2

Cells(2, 2).Value = c3

Cells(2, 3).Value = c4

Cells(2, 4).Value = c5

For x = 4 To 40 ' ROW 4 THRU 40

For y = 1 To 4 ' COL BCDE

If Cells(2, 1) = Cells(x, y) Then Cells(x, y).Interior.ColorIndex = 3

If Cells(2, 2) = Cells(x, y) Then Cells(x, y).Interior.ColorIndex = 4

If Cells(2, 3) = Cells(x, y) Then Cells(x, y).Interior.ColorIndex = 5

If Cells(2, 4) = Cells(x, y) Then Cells(x, y).Interior.ColorIndex = 6

Next y

Next x '