Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do people play QP's?

Topic closed. 181 replies. Last post 6 years ago by cajunken.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Why do you play QP's?

Convenience/Saves Time [ 21 ]  [23.86%]
QP's Win The Most Jackpots [ 18 ]  [20.45%]
I play a set of "personal" numbers [ 6 ]  [6.82%]
I play both QP's and Play Slip's [ 34 ]  [38.64%]
I never play QP's [ 6 ]  [6.82%]
What's a QP?? [ 3 ]  [3.41%]
Total Valid Votes [ 88 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: July 3, 2010, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

The game I play most often is a Pick 5 because there's a drawing every day and I believe that in one's lifetime they might actually hit a pick 5. The Illinoos Pick 5 gets hit  every two to three days. Pick 6 and 5 + 1 naturally have far remoter xhances of that happening. (Doesn't stop me from playing them though!)

Here's the Pick 5 I play for the last 2.5 years:

Results as of June 28, 2008, June 29 last year and this June 20 year:

2008:

To date:

68 Jackpots

56 QP  82.35%

35 PS  51.47%

2009:

To date:

76 Jackpots

65 QP 
85.52%

39 PS
   51.31%

Total jackpot money paid out to date: $17,295,000

2010:

To date:

77 Jackpots

37 PP  48%

61 QP  79.22%

Solo jackpots: 59

Shared jackpots: 16

Highest jackpot:

$625,000, one winner on May 11

Average jackpot: $195,805

Total jackpot money paid out to date: $15,077,000

As you can see, quick picks do indeed hit more often for this game. When the jackpot gets pumped up (It has been over $1,000,000) I'll mix QPs and numbers I pick, sometimes even trying to "psyche out" the lottery computer. I might play 1 2 3 4 5 as a "sacrifice bunt" and a QP for Game B.

I also play a "Cribbage" ticket, 2  4  15  29  31, significant numbers in the game of cribbage, and a QP.

Maybe such tickets are a "key" for the terminal to issue a winner, who knows.

That's just me personally. People here on LP have mentioned that they've spoken to people that play QPs and don't even know how to fill out a playslip.

I think another reason QPs are played so much is simply convenience so to say. Somneone is in a crowded convenience mart paying for gas and the clerkasks if they want to take a shot at the PB or MM jackpot. Jnles the're a payer and already have a slip made out prior to getting in line if they say yes it's usually, "Yeah, give me a QP."

While I'm posting on this I must say there is nothing quite as entertaining as seeing one of the anti-QP set here on LP talking about chomping at the bit to buy raffles tickets. Think about that one.

Green laugh

It's Lotto, not horseshoes or artillery!
Close doesn't count!

I sell everything at a loss but make up for it in volume
- Milo Minderbinder, Catch

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3102 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2010, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Quick Picks are a compromise between not playing at all and putting real effort into working out combinations worth putting money on.

I'd imagine most people view a QP the same as buying a church raffle ticket.

I play 90% my own combinations with a QP or two to allow lady luck the 100% clear shot opportunity to come through for me. 

BobP

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2010, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I play QP every time. There's been a few times I've done personal numbers but they never won anything then and haven't since (stopped playing but still recognize if a number hits when checking my QP tickets).

The chances of winning with QP's are just the same as winning via personal picks so seeing as how it's just quicker and easier to do QP's that's what I do.

It's not really that QP has a higher chance of winning, just more people play them. Just like how living in a certain state doesn't give you a better chance, it's just that more people in that state play so their bound to have more winners. That last part isn't really directed towards you, just I've seen that mentioned on here before.

United States
        Member #91313
        May 15, 2010
        141 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2010, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I never play qp in p3 p4 not even for curiosity or comparison is just nonsense to me, hey you can throw triples in the mix why do people plays triples all time?, I seldom do only when it’s in my red zone just one in 2,3 months period and one triple,

I think is because all the work people have to do is pick one number right 777 that I think is why they buy triples or qps or quads on p4, wow how challenging is that! Now I do play qps rarely on p5 and major jackpots why? Cause I breaking my head on the table figure in out a 3 or p4 game numbers and there is not enough time for a large field of numbers, just let somebody else do the work “Quick picks”

Why do people play same set of numbers in all states?

he,he,he     same reason!  I think

If you want God to laugh, tell him your plans!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2010, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I sometimes do QPs with Fantasy Five in Florida, but when I do play Qps, I mark my favorite number 3 and 17, and let the computer pick the rest. You wouldn't believe how many friends I've told that to, and they don't believe it's possible to do a partial QP. And it's not just with Fantasy Five, but with all the games.

17 sure seems to hit often.

Weird, in Italy it's considered bad luck, figure that. 

I wish Illinois had that partial QP feature. So far I guess it's Florida and Georgia.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: July 3, 2010, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I wish Illinois had that partial QP feature. So far I guess it's Florida and Georgia.

WOW...Only two states have that?

I did not know that.

MILLION22Q$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
              raleigh, north carolina
              United States
              Member #92685
              June 12, 2010
              68 Posts
              Posted: July 3, 2010, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I play both QP and play slips.

But, to answer the question of why?

It's the luck of the draw that most people hope for.

And if the numbers I picked were not drawn, I always blame it on the computers knowing what I picked,Green laugh

and the lottery agents weighing down those balls so those numbers won't raise to the top. Thud

I play both, QP and Slips.... and sometimes you can get a flavor of what to play from ...THE QP.... LOLOLO!!! GOOD LUCK To ALL!! Party

Visualize and then Materialize... Mega Millions Millions & MILLIONS 4 ME $$$$ 

God is space...........Demonstrated! 

The light from just one candle can dispel a sea of darkness so...let there be LIGHT!!!  Sun Smiley

MILLION22Q$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                raleigh, north carolina
                United States
                Member #92685
                June 12, 2010
                68 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2010, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Partial QP is  GREAT IDEA AS WELL..... 

CHOOSE a  PB NUMBER and  QP the rest or vise versa.

Visualize and then Materialize... Mega Millions Millions & MILLIONS 4 ME $$$$ 

God is space...........Demonstrated! 

The light from just one candle can dispel a sea of darkness so...let there be LIGHT!!!  Sun Smiley

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8790 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2010, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

South Carolina has partial quick pick.

I have used it on occasion for jackpot games and a couple times in the 3 for curiosity.

WHATT

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2010, 12:28 am - IP Logged

I have bought QP’s on games once and a while to be in the running, but then again my style is to watch a history and place bets with betslips. As for which way to play that is better, I am not exactly convinced QPs generated for a draw exhaust all combinations. e.g. the recent three QP winners who split a not-so big jackpot. My opinion is we only think the entire pool of combinations are sold without repeats until the pool is exhausted. This may be more frequent in games with less combinations than the MM or Powerball where the combinations exceed the population of eligible players.

I am all for playing the best stats you can make your strength with. I am more skeptical the QP pool available for a draw is complete. In fact, losers have had the same QP’s for the same game, same draw. I heard it firsthand from a player who had it happen to himself. So if less than all the combinations are available at the terminals ( a fixed pool of less than all combinations) , you will have multiple losers playing the same sets and potentially as evidenced, multiple winners playing the same sets. Either way the state wins and if many buyers do not buy the right combinations ( a limited QP Pool?) , then fever at the next draw grows stronger. QPs are advertised much more than betslips and that tells me what drives the biz strategy to get your $.

The probability could be determined based on sales volume IF you had the sales stats on QPs Vs Betslips purchases. I think it should be disclosed or rather exposed. Partial QP’s? For who?

DD

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                      Miami
                      United States
                      Member #62793
                      July 9, 2008
                      673 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2010, 3:27 am - IP Logged

I sometimes do QPs with Fantasy Five in Florida, but when I do play Qps, I mark my favorite number 3 and 17, and let the computer pick the rest. You wouldn't believe how many friends I've told that to, and they don't believe it's possible to do a partial QP. And it's not just with Fantasy Five, but with all the games.

I tried that once and it didn't work.

I have my own numbers for a particular game I play, but I've never liked the last number. This would be a good way to solve that issue.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2010, 6:03 am - IP Logged

The only reason that I do any playslips  now is for Wis supercash which does multiple jackpots, trying for double jackpots.

I have had great success with QPs having missed by 1 number 11 times.

I answered 2 but it's a combination of 1 and 2.

MarkP

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2010, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I tried that once and it didn't work.

I have my own numbers for a particular game I play, but I've never liked the last number. This would be a good way to solve that issue.

Mark the numbers, and mark the QP box, and it should work.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                            West Side of Sunny Florida
                            United States
                            Member #55048
                            September 8, 2007
                            3371 Posts
                            Posted: July 4, 2010, 8:36 am - IP Logged

Quick Picks are a compromise between not playing at all and putting real effort into working out combinations worth putting money on.

I'd imagine most people view a QP the same as buying a church raffle ticket.

I play 90% my own combinations with a QP or two to allow lady luck the 100% clear shot opportunity to come through for me. 

BobP

That is my thinking, as I do the same thing.  I also get tired of watching the QP's win alot of the jackpots and like the idea of a 'pure luck' win.  Thumbs Up

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: July 4, 2010, 10:41 am - IP Logged

You can do a partial quick pick in Georgia on Fantasy 5, Win For Life, Mega Millions and Powerball.

On those games you can choose part of the white balls then check quick pick and the computer will select the rest.

Don't believe it's possible with Cash 3 or Cash 4.

Good luck to everyone!

Page 2 of 13