Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a Lottery Clerk Ever Attempted to Rip You Off?

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: November 7, 2010, 8:57 am - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice this year.

Once where a clerk in VA kept my exchange ticket which I related not too long ago and once a couple of weeks ago.

In the recent incident, I sent my wife, who is not a player, (Man, what a segue for a joke!) into a gas station we rarely frequent to cash in a Tennessee Cash ticket. It was a $5 Quick Pick with 2 winners on it. One was 2 numbers which wins a free ticket and one was 3 numbers and the Cash Ball which was worth $11 (pari-mutuel).

I told her what winners were on the ticket and she took it in. When she came out she had the free ticket but not the $11. I asked her what the deal was and she said the clerk just gave her the free ticket and when she asked about the other win, the clerk said that that was all there was.

Knowing I had just gotten ripped off, I got out of the truck and went inside. I told the clerk the deal and she said that no, there was only one winner. I told her to let me see the ticket so I could make sure. She reached over in a box and pulled it out but wouldn't hand it to me to see. It was stapled to another receipt ticket that the machine had spit out.

She feigned surprise as she looked at it  and said "Oh yeah, it says $11 winner here, I'm so sorry!" and then handed me the $11.

After this 2nd experience I decided to register a complaint with the TN Lottery. They told me that the by-laws require the lottery agent to have the terminal facing the customer so he/she can see the readout to see what they've won. This gas station had the readout facing the outside window so you would have to go outside to see it.

The TN Lottery also said you can request/demand a receipt ticket to show what you've won even if it's a losing ticket and you've won nothing.

This episode made me wonder just how many unsuspecting and/or trusting people these weasels are ripping off on a regular basis and getting away with it.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: November 7, 2010, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Luckily, not me. I buy and cash my tics at the same places (3) where I trust the clerks. One is a little convenience store where I buy most of my tics, and the owners have even floated me a dollor or two if I forgot to bring enough money. The others are the Tom Thumb grocery store, and a convenience store near work where I buy the work pool tics. 

Ridge, I would never ever send my wife in to cash a tic. She doesn't play and would have no idea what to do. Did you forget to have your bottle of Jack that day?????

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #71646
      March 1, 2009
      204 Posts
      Posted: November 7, 2010, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I always know how much I won, and the places around here have the screen facing us, the customer, but it also has a little instrumental music piece that plays "we're in the money."  So even if you are not paying attention, you hear the little music play to know you've won.  One place I had a winning ticket and they must've turned off the music on the machine, but the screen still faced me and she didn't cheat me. 

I would've been ticked off big time if that happened to me.

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

rukiafae's avatar - box
        NC
        United States
        Member #100192
        November 7, 2010
        125 Posts
        Posted: November 7, 2010, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

I've never had that happen, but then I don't send my hubby (who doesnt play) to cash them LOL

We live in a really small town, and I know the owners and clerks. Plus, the screen faces the customers and i always look at it (even though i know what ive won before i go in).

If I were cashing it in at a store I don't know as well, I would be very vigilant...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 7, 2010, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I always know how much I won, and the places around here have the screen facing us, the customer, but it also has a little instrumental music piece that plays "we're in the money."  So even if you are not paying attention, you hear the little music play to know you've won.  One place I had a winning ticket and they must've turned off the music on the machine, but the screen still faced me and she didn't cheat me. 

I would've been ticked off big time if that happened to me.

Yeah, I know what I've won before I ever cash a ticket, in fact I write it on the back of the ticket and sign the ticket so I won't let them screw me.

It's just the principle that they try to that gets to me. That and the fact that they're probably getting away with it with a lot of people.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: November 7, 2010, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Luckily, not me. I buy and cash my tics at the same places (3) where I trust the clerks. One is a little convenience store where I buy most of my tics, and the owners have even floated me a dollor or two if I forgot to bring enough money. The others are the Tom Thumb grocery store, and a convenience store near work where I buy the work pool tics. 

Ridge, I would never ever send my wife in to cash a tic. She doesn't play and would have no idea what to do. Did you forget to have your bottle of Jack that day?????

Maybe that's it, I hadn't had my "medicine" yet, lol.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: November 7, 2010, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

I've never had that happen, but then I don't send my hubby (who doesnt play) to cash them LOL

We live in a really small town, and I know the owners and clerks. Plus, the screen faces the customers and i always look at it (even though i know what ive won before i go in).

If I were cashing it in at a store I don't know as well, I would be very vigilant...

Well, from now on I won't cash em anywhere that doesn't have the screen facing me (or my wife) and in fact I won't do any business with those places cuz I'll assume they're trying to rip people off on their lottery.

--Edmund Burke

Sacramento, CA
                United States
                Member #96354
                August 28, 2010
                159 Posts
                Posted: November 7, 2010, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I don't know for sure, but one ticket (scratcher) I cashed was incorrectly valued. I asked for the ticket back to check it, and the clerk refused. I'm pretty sure there are more 'mistakes' by clerks than we hear about.

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: November 7, 2010, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice this year.

Once where a clerk in VA kept my exchange ticket which I related not too long ago and once a couple of weeks ago.

In the recent incident, I sent my wife, who is not a player, (Man, what a segue for a joke!) into a gas station we rarely frequent to cash in a Tennessee Cash ticket. It was a $5 Quick Pick with 2 winners on it. One was 2 numbers which wins a free ticket and one was 3 numbers and the Cash Ball which was worth $11 (pari-mutuel).

I told her what winners were on the ticket and she took it in. When she came out she had the free ticket but not the $11. I asked her what the deal was and she said the clerk just gave her the free ticket and when she asked about the other win, the clerk said that that was all there was.

Knowing I had just gotten ripped off, I got out of the truck and went inside. I told the clerk the deal and she said that no, there was only one winner. I told her to let me see the ticket so I could make sure. She reached over in a box and pulled it out but wouldn't hand it to me to see. It was stapled to another receipt ticket that the machine had spit out.

She feigned surprise as she looked at it  and said "Oh yeah, it says $11 winner here, I'm so sorry!" and then handed me the $11.

After this 2nd experience I decided to register a complaint with the TN Lottery. They told me that the by-laws require the lottery agent to have the terminal facing the customer so he/she can see the readout to see what they've won. This gas station had the readout facing the outside window so you would have to go outside to see it.

The TN Lottery also said you can request/demand a receipt ticket to show what you've won even if it's a losing ticket and you've won nothing.

This episode made me wonder just how many unsuspecting and/or trusting people these weasels are ripping off on a regular basis and getting away with it.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this?

Yes rd, once upon a long time ago when yours truly was very green, I went to a News Paper and Magazine/Lottery vending stand where I bought a lottery ticket;  I had 4 out of 6 and he said the 4th number was  a bonus number so I got paid that way;  when it was suppose to be more....

After I looked at the winning numbers he had posted I showed him that the number he said was a Bonus number was not, and he said he had process the ticket already and that it was not as I said...that I had 3 + the bonus number;  anyway that was the first and last time something like that happened to me!!!

Now I go to the same place...to cash my winning numbers and they all know I  am not at all scared to cause  unclassy scandal...Ha,ha,LOL.. so no!  No more!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

danyo1332's avatar - 198208 10150427293015037_578305036_17777547_4875050_n
                    clinton, ohio
                    United States
                    Member #94566
                    July 22, 2010
                    1920 Posts
                    Posted: November 7, 2010, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm a clerk and am ALWAYS truthful! I had a guy come in before sayinghe won $50. I scanned his ticket and on my screen it said $500 winnerand I told him it's $500 instead of $50 and he got more excited than alittle kid at christmas! If someone buys a ticket and win, they EARNit! I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231108 My Definite Double System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/231369 My P4 to P3 Pair System

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233360 My Digit 9 Significance System

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: November 7, 2010, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

I'm a clerk and am ALWAYS truthful! I had a guy come in before sayinghe won $50. I scanned his ticket and on my screen it said $500 winnerand I told him it's $500 instead of $50 and he got more excited than alittle kid at christmas! If someone buys a ticket and win, they EARNit! I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me!

Wtg danyo, I like honest people. Maybe it's in our blood, maybe it's in our upbringing, maybe it becomes our nature in some other way.

Who knows, but it's always nice to know there's more of us out there cuz it sure seems easier to find crooks these days than good, honest people.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: November 7, 2010, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes rd, once upon a long time ago when yours truly was very green, I went to a News Paper and Magazine/Lottery vending stand where I bought a lottery ticket;  I had 4 out of 6 and he said the 4th number was  a bonus number so I got paid that way;  when it was suppose to be more....

After I looked at the winning numbers he had posted I showed him that the number he said was a Bonus number was not, and he said he had process the ticket already and that it was not as I said...that I had 3 + the bonus number;  anyway that was the first and last time something like that happened to me!!!

Now I go to the same place...to cash my winning numbers and they all know I  am not at all scared to cause  unclassy scandal...Ha,ha,LOL.. so no!  No more!

That's right Rosie, you gotta make a big commotion and if you're a woman ya gotta start screamin and yellin and going all crazy. Then men will give you what ever you want. Ask any of my ex-wives. They all got beautiful houses and I'm in a singlewide trailer with flat tires and a bunch a junk cars and trucks up on blocks in the front yard.

--Edmund Burke

mswiz777's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                          Va Beach
                          United States
                          Member #532
                          August 2, 2002
                          17736 Posts
                          Posted: November 7, 2010, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

I was in a 7-11 in VA to play my pick-3 numbers I only play $4.00 a day I was talking to the person next to me.   And the clark said $9 dollars I said no it's only came to 4 dollars.  The clark wanted to get up set with me but I know what I play each day you know what he had did put his numbers with my numbers.  Because I was talking he was sure he get away with it.  He had did it before his boss was in the back and I go to that store all the time his boss know how much I play. He is out of a job so know how much you are playing so no one will do that to you. 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: November 7, 2010, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I was in a 7-11 in VA to play my pick-3 numbers I only play $4.00 a day I was talking to the person next to me.   And the clark said $9 dollars I said no it's only came to 4 dollars.  The clark wanted to get up set with me but I know what I play each day you know what he had did put his numbers with my numbers.  Because I was talking he was sure he get away with it.  He had did it before his boss was in the back and I go to that store all the time his boss know how much I play. He is out of a job so know how much you are playing so no one will do that to you. 

That's how the clerk in VA got me too mswiz. Somebody behind me started a conversation and she took my exchange ticket out of the machine while I was turned around and I didn't remember it til later. I went back to the store and asked her where it was and long story short, she pulled it out of the trash can and gave it to me.

Some of these clerks got a real racket going on and they know exactly what they're doing. They always play dumb when you catch them though.

--Edmund Burke

Chella36's avatar - chellawiththeangels
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #75096
                              May 26, 2009
                              7136 Posts
                              Posted: November 7, 2010, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

That's how the clerk in VA got me too mswiz. Somebody behind me started a conversation and she took my exchange ticket out of the machine while I was turned around and I didn't remember it til later. I went back to the store and asked her where it was and long story short, she pulled it out of the trash can and gave it to me.

Some of these clerks got a real racket going on and they know exactly what they're doing. They always play dumb when you catch them though.

You are right... A few months ago I played some doubles and it hit... Well to make a long story short, I played both the numbers combo along with other tickets.  Well I was running my mouth and when it was time to cash out, I stood in line and I swipe my card and the lady gave me the cards back and I was thinking my tickets were in between running my mouth. Well left store and when I got a call what the number was I could not find my tickets.. They were not in with the slips.. I was so upset I went back to store and she told me she gave it to me. She knew she was lying, I said let me see the tape.  She was like i have to watch it first. I went off and went to call NC lottery well they did investigation because the next day when I went to store that morning NC lottery was at store...... Well to make long story short, they could see the plays plus they could see me and see her giving me slips no tickets..... they stopped the winning tickets and said if anyone cash them in they could get them but I know she got rid of them when NC lottery came, she got in so much trouble and I got my money.......It is sad when things like this happens and the clerk try to steal from you..... She knows I hit a lot I think she took it on purpose but she trys to talk to me every time I go in store, I just say hello and keep it moving..She will not stop my flow or blessings at all.

A person who is strong give others strength Wink