Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a Lottery Clerk Ever Attempted to Rip You Off?

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Decatur, GA
United States
Member #100597
November 15, 2010
1 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2010, 8:51 am - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice with the same clerk at the same convenience store. It wasn't until I left the store the second time that I caught on to what was happening. I play scratch offs and usually have 3-5 tickets to redeem at once. Both times as the clerk was keying in the numbers, she looked up and said that one of the tickets wasn't a winner. She didn't offer the ticket back to me, but kept them behind the counter. I'm a newbie at scratch-offs, so I thought I might have messed up and given her a non-winner. But the second time, I made sure the tickets were winners and she did it again. I didn't say anything to her at that time... but believe me I'll never go back to her with tickets to redeem. I'm pretty sure she works the scam this way. She takes all the tickets and four out of the five she enters in the right three digit code on the front. On one of the tickets, she enters the code in wrong because it comes up with an error message on the screen. She keeps the ticket for herself to redeem later. Lesson learned.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
    Member #71120
    February 19, 2009
    1209 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:03 am - IP Logged

If that store has good hits thats good,redeem some where else.I use to go to Kroger they are straight up there,I dont play anymore here though.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:03 am - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice with the same clerk at the same convenience store. It wasn't until I left the store the second time that I caught on to what was happening. I play scratch offs and usually have 3-5 tickets to redeem at once. Both times as the clerk was keying in the numbers, she looked up and said that one of the tickets wasn't a winner. She didn't offer the ticket back to me, but kept them behind the counter. I'm a newbie at scratch-offs, so I thought I might have messed up and given her a non-winner. But the second time, I made sure the tickets were winners and she did it again. I didn't say anything to her at that time... but believe me I'll never go back to her with tickets to redeem. I'm pretty sure she works the scam this way. She takes all the tickets and four out of the five she enters in the right three digit code on the front. On one of the tickets, she enters the code in wrong because it comes up with an error message on the screen. She keeps the ticket for herself to redeem later. Lesson learned.

Yeah, that's the old "don't let them keep your ticket" lesson. Whenever they say the ticket is not a winner, you have to demand the ticket back and don't leave the counter til they give it to you. The ticket belongs to you, not some lottery clerk.

The other thing is to report it to the owner of the store and the Lottery office and if nothing is done about it, to everybody you know so they won't do business at that store.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:15 am - IP Logged

No, the only problems I've had with actual people have been finding myself in a situation where I misplaced my paper and tried to use plastic to no avail. Eventually, I did find the paper. 

Not too long ago, however, I did an advance play of a certain number. I told the machine that I wanted the next five drawings, including both day and night, but it gave me the next five NIGHT drawings. So, I had to put another $5 into the machine to play the day drawings.

Yeah, I guess the machines can screw up too but at least we know they're not doing it on purpose, LOL (I think).

TN has no scanners but I've always had trouble with the ones in VA. I would occasionally try them just to see how they worked while already knowing what I had won. Unless you scan the ticket in a precisely certain way and hit the laser on some unknown mystery spot on the ticket, it won't read it and you have to go take your chances with the clerk anyway. I wonder how many people have thrown away winners because of those machines.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:20 am - IP Logged

If that store has good hits thats good,redeem some where else.I use to go to Kroger they are straight up there,I dont play anymore here though.

I hear ya TTL, scratchers in TN are like a vast wasteland for me too. Rarely if ever anymore. For a long while now.

Ya gotta laugh when you hear the officials bragging about how much revenue the scratchers bring in for Tennessee. Uh, yeah, I wonder why.

--Edmund Burke

rukiafae's avatar - box
            NC
            United States
            Member #100192
            November 7, 2010
            125 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2010, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

you need to bring that up to the store manager, and I would contaact the lotto commission as well. You don't need to buy or redeem there again, but at least notify the proper authorities so that other players may have a chance...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2010, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

you need to bring that up to the store manager, and I would contaact the lotto commission as well. You don't need to buy or redeem there again, but at least notify the proper authorities so that other players may have a chance...

I Agree!

--Edmund Burke

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3815 Posts
                Posted: November 15, 2010, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Over the weekend, I won $24 playing New York's 5/39 game Take5.

I purposely took it to a convenience store where I rarely buy tickets to cash it.  They dont know my face in that store.  Even though it was only 24 bucks, I signed it. When I got to the store I scanned it, but the scanner didnt work, it just said cant process ticket, see retailer. (Which is a whole other story, because I havent had a scanner work yet, and I just sent the NYS Lottery an e-mail about that.) 

In a very confident sounding voice, I told the clerk I had a 24 dollar Take5 winner, and handed him the ticket.  He said nothing but scanned it using the wand from the lottery terminal.  He then looked at me and said "Would you like the cash or more tickets?" 

IMHO, a lot depends upon the presentation of the ticket to the clerk.  He knew I knew what I had, and he knew better than to try anything shaky.  It's certainly possible the guy is very honest, and would never even consider ripping me off.  But how do I know that?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Over the weekend, I won $24 playing New York's 5/39 game Take5.

I purposely took it to a convenience store where I rarely buy tickets to cash it.  They dont know my face in that store.  Even though it was only 24 bucks, I signed it. When I got to the store I scanned it, but the scanner didnt work, it just said cant process ticket, see retailer. (Which is a whole other story, because I havent had a scanner work yet, and I just sent the NYS Lottery an e-mail about that.) 

In a very confident sounding voice, I told the clerk I had a 24 dollar Take5 winner, and handed him the ticket.  He said nothing but scanned it using the wand from the lottery terminal.  He then looked at me and said "Would you like the cash or more tickets?" 

IMHO, a lot depends upon the presentation of the ticket to the clerk.  He knew I knew what I had, and he knew better than to try anything shaky.  It's certainly possible the guy is very honest, and would never even consider ripping me off.  But how do I know that?

Note to Tennessee Lottery

If you ever decide to get scanners, check out what kind New York and Virginia have and don't get that kind, OK?

Thanks ever so much.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes GiveFive, undoubtedly a strong, very confident sounding voice telling the clerk exactly what you have helps a lot if the clerk is sizing you up for a con. I could give you a couple more measures you could take in that vein but I don't think the dems let you carry your guns in New York. (Picture Doc Holliday lightly tapping his fingertips on the butts of his crossed sixshooters in his waistband in the movie Tombstone). Works wonders.

--Edmund Burke

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3815 Posts
                    Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Note to Tennessee Lottery

If you ever decide to get scanners, check out what kind New York and Virginia have and don't get that kind, OK?

Thanks ever so much.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes GiveFive, undoubtedly a strong, very confident sounding voice telling the clerk exactly what you have helps a lot if the clerk is sizing you up for a con. I could give you a couple more measures you could take in that vein but I don't think the dems let you carry your guns in New York. (Picture Doc Holliday lightly tapping his fingertips on the butts of his crossed sixshooters in his waistband in the movie Tombstone). Works wonders.

I got a response to my e-mail to the NYS Lottery complaining about the scanners!

It was as lame as lame gets.  Because it came back to me so quickly and it was rather lengthy, I realized it was a canned response, which they must have concocted due to all the other complaints they have probably received..........

I wont bore anybody with what they said.  It was a whole lot of nuthin.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I got a response to my e-mail to the NYS Lottery complaining about the scanners!

It was as lame as lame gets.  Because it came back to me so quickly and it was rather lengthy, I realized it was a canned response, which they must have concocted due to all the other complaints they have probably received..........

I wont bore anybody with what they said.  It was a whole lot of nuthin.

Yeah, that's basically what TN does too when you ask about scanners. They have a standard form letter answer which basically says: "We'll put it in the suggestion box."

--Edmund Burke

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3815 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2010, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, that's basically what TN does too when you ask about scanners. They have a standard form letter answer which basically says: "We'll put it in the suggestion box."

As of a short while ago, I now dont know what to think about NY's ticket scanners.

I was in a supermarket standing at the customer service desk when I saw a man walk up and start scanning his lottery tickets.  He seemed to be having no difficulty with it at all.  I watched him scan about a dozen tickets and then he got in line for the service desk.

So I asked him; "Did that scanner work OK for you?"  He said "yes" and that he "relys on it".  I told him I havent been able to get one to work yet, but that I'd never tried to use that particular scanner. I told him how scanners in various other stores had always said "Cant read ticket. See retailer"  He said that happens to him too, but said to "try scanning it again or maybe a third time and it'll usually take it."

I asked whether or not he "relys on it" because he doesnt trust the clerks.  He said no, it was just that he usually has a lot of tickets to check, and that's the fastest way to see if he had a winner. He said he got in the line because the scanner told him he had a winner.

He did seem a little surprised when I mentioned to him that I check all my tickets because the clerks could scan a ticket, say it wasnt a winner when it really was, and pocket the money.  He response was "You're right! They could do that." 

I'll give his suggestion a try and scan a ticket more than once and see what happens.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 19, 2010, 3:13 am - IP Logged

As of a short while ago, I now dont know what to think about NY's ticket scanners.

I was in a supermarket standing at the customer service desk when I saw a man walk up and start scanning his lottery tickets.  He seemed to be having no difficulty with it at all.  I watched him scan about a dozen tickets and then he got in line for the service desk.

So I asked him; "Did that scanner work OK for you?"  He said "yes" and that he "relys on it".  I told him I havent been able to get one to work yet, but that I'd never tried to use that particular scanner. I told him how scanners in various other stores had always said "Cant read ticket. See retailer"  He said that happens to him too, but said to "try scanning it again or maybe a third time and it'll usually take it."

I asked whether or not he "relys on it" because he doesnt trust the clerks.  He said no, it was just that he usually has a lot of tickets to check, and that's the fastest way to see if he had a winner. He said he got in the line because the scanner told him he had a winner.

He did seem a little surprised when I mentioned to him that I check all my tickets because the clerks could scan a ticket, say it wasnt a winner when it really was, and pocket the money.  He response was "You're right! They could do that." 

I'll give his suggestion a try and scan a ticket more than once and see what happens.

Them scanners is just like wimmins GiveFive. If you ain't on the right spot, you ain't gonna get the job done.

I wish they'd give us them terminal type machines that suck em into the machine, read em and spit em out instead of them laser machines that hardly ever work.

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            41960 Posts
                            Posted: November 20, 2010, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Got a good story, almost left the gas station without all my tickets, the clerk called me back right away.

HyperDidn't win though.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: November 20, 2010, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Got a good story, almost left the gas station without all my tickets, the clerk called me back right away.

HyperDidn't win though.

Holy Moly, an honest clerk! (just kiddin)

I'm wondering though if you're a regular there and the clerk knows you.

--Edmund Burke