Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a Lottery Clerk Ever Attempted to Rip You Off?

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:53 am - IP Logged

You are right... A few months ago I played some doubles and it hit... Well to make a long story short, I played both the numbers combo along with other tickets.  Well I was running my mouth and when it was time to cash out, I stood in line and I swipe my card and the lady gave me the cards back and I was thinking my tickets were in between running my mouth. Well left store and when I got a call what the number was I could not find my tickets.. They were not in with the slips.. I was so upset I went back to store and she told me she gave it to me. She knew she was lying, I said let me see the tape.  She was like i have to watch it first. I went off and went to call NC lottery well they did investigation because the next day when I went to store that morning NC lottery was at store...... Well to make long story short, they could see the plays plus they could see me and see her giving me slips no tickets..... they stopped the winning tickets and said if anyone cash them in they could get them but I know she got rid of them when NC lottery came, she got in so much trouble and I got my money.......It is sad when things like this happens and the clerk try to steal from you..... She knows I hit a lot I think she took it on purpose but she trys to talk to me every time I go in store, I just say hello and keep it moving..She will not stop my flow or blessings at all.

Thanks for telling your story Chella36.

I think we're starting to see a pattern developing here. It looks like their favorite time to pull their crap is when they see you're distracted or talking to someone.

Maybe if we get enough people recounting their stories here, the authorities might start doing something about it.

I would love to see them run sting operations on an ongoing basis and start locking people up.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

TigerAngel's avatar - tiger andfairy.jpg
    california
    United States
    Member #23475
    October 13, 2005
    659 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2010, 3:49 am - IP Logged

I think we're starting to see a pattern developing here. It looks like their favorite time to pull their crap is when they see you're distracted or talking to someone.

Maybe if we get enough people recounting their stories here, the authorities might start doing something about it.

I would love to see them run sting operations on an ongoing basis and start locking people up.

I would love to see them run sting operations on an ongoing basis and start locking people up.***

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6614260

Blue Angel  "if you can hold it in your mind, you can hold it in your hand"

Chella36's avatar - chellawiththeangels
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #75096
      May 26, 2009
      7136 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2010, 8:15 am - IP Logged

One thing I can say NC lottery dont play.  I did not know they were coming to the store that morning and they were investigating the whole thing, they could see the time I brought my tickets, and look at all transactions being done on the machine and saw I was the one who brought the winning tickets but where did they go?  I was so mad......The investigator was so nice but they dont play when it comes to lottery......So just letting everyone know if ever you have a problem contact them that is there job and they will come out in a hurry.... I was shocked but happy at same time.  The district manager was there at store and it was not good.....the bad things is I use to buy tickets for her to help her win at times and for her to do me that way I was hurt..... more than anything.... so now I look at everything and also it was told to me by NC lottery to sign all your tickets...... It is very important because people will try to claim your prize if you loose it however, it ticket sign they cannot cash it......... then it helps NC track it down cause they can see where the ticket was cashed and then go after them..... good luck today

A person who is strong give others strength Wink

Chella36's avatar - chellawiththeangels
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #75096
        May 26, 2009
        7136 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2010, 8:16 am - IP Logged

I would love to see them run sting operations on an ongoing basis and start locking people up.***

That is great to see they need to do this in every state......too much money goes into lottery for this not to happen....... it is sad cause everyone wants to win and to have someone do this is crazy......

A person who is strong give others strength Wink

Columbus, GA
          United States
          Member #84181
          December 24, 2009
          658 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2010, 8:28 am - IP Logged

Oh yes, going thru NC  I was buying Mega tickets in every east coast state as i was traveling up to NY fr. GA.  Stopped in NC and asked for a qp.  She gave me a ticket that was already printed.  This was a Wed. and Mega played that Tues.  The ticket was for Tues. that just passed and she had a pile of them.  I just so happened to look at the date instead of the numbers and she wanted me to believe it was a mistake.  ha  watch em

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #71646
            March 1, 2009
            204 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2010, 9:51 am - IP Logged

It's really a shame that some people can rip others off without even batting an eye.  I have walked out of the Walmart forgetting to pay for a small toy my kids were holding and I turn right around and go back and pay, even though I made it to my car!  In good conscience I can't do it, it would bother me!  I was raised that stealing is wrong, I stole a tiny piece of candy once when I was 6 or 7 and I felt so bad that I ended up throwing the candy away when I got home. I couldn't even enjoy it, lol.   Morals seemed to have declined anymore, or maybe people are getting that desperate.

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

Milwaukee, WI
              United States
              Member #3131
              December 27, 2003
              665 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2010, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I've had a few dishonest clerks. but I've more luck with more honest clerks. Sometimes I win more than I thought, I've bought tickets and almost walk out without my change and they stop me. Overall people are more honest than dishonest.

MarkP

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: November 8, 2010, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Oh yes, going thru NC  I was buying Mega tickets in every east coast state as i was traveling up to NY fr. GA.  Stopped in NC and asked for a qp.  She gave me a ticket that was already printed.  This was a Wed. and Mega played that Tues.  The ticket was for Tues. that just passed and she had a pile of them.  I just so happened to look at the date instead of the numbers and she wanted me to believe it was a mistake.  ha  watch em

Stuff like this should be reported to the lottery commission.

takeemtothebank

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40471 Posts
                  Posted: November 8, 2010, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I knew I had a $2.00 winner , this was years ago before they had the scan them yourself machines, I gave the clerk my ticket walked off to get a pop and when I went to check out he handed me a slip that said not a winner, I figured I goofed up, guess what? It happened to my neighbor across the street, he's knew the owner well and said something about this clerk, come to find out he kept a little pile of NOT A WINNER SLIPS HANDY. WELL HE GOT FIRED.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                    NC
                    United States
                    Member #11741
                    February 23, 2005
                    1233 Posts
                    Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I've never had an issue with a scratch off however with a numbered ticket I have.  I bought 10 p3 tickets and only received 8 of them back.  Since I always count my tickets b4 I leave the counter, they didn't get me. Even charged me $10 for it.  When I brought it to the clerks attention, he told me no I gave u 10.  this went on for a few min until I pulled out my cell and told him I was calling the police! magically my ticket was on the counter in front of the lottery printer.... Needless to say after I told the other customers what he just did, I haven't went back there.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for that TigerAngel.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about but on an ongoing year-round basis by all states.

I'm guessing that particular sting was generated by a number of complaints about that particular retailer.

I'd just like to see them have assigned personnel that have that as their only duty on a daily basis.

Maybe give the crooks a little stress with their larceny if nothing else.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

Thanks fronjan.

Your story could be a caution about ticket sellers on interstate highways. They could possibly be more inclined to cheat because of the transient nature of their clientele. They may count on you not noticing the scam til you're miles down the road and at that point being unwilling or unable to return.

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: November 8, 2010, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice this year.

Once where a clerk in VA kept my exchange ticket which I related not too long ago and once a couple of weeks ago.

In the recent incident, I sent my wife, who is not a player, (Man, what a segue for a joke!) into a gas station we rarely frequent to cash in a Tennessee Cash ticket. It was a $5 Quick Pick with 2 winners on it. One was 2 numbers which wins a free ticket and one was 3 numbers and the Cash Ball which was worth $11 (pari-mutuel).

I told her what winners were on the ticket and she took it in. When she came out she had the free ticket but not the $11. I asked her what the deal was and she said the clerk just gave her the free ticket and when she asked about the other win, the clerk said that that was all there was.

Knowing I had just gotten ripped off, I got out of the truck and went inside. I told the clerk the deal and she said that no, there was only one winner. I told her to let me see the ticket so I could make sure. She reached over in a box and pulled it out but wouldn't hand it to me to see. It was stapled to another receipt ticket that the machine had spit out.

She feigned surprise as she looked at it  and said "Oh yeah, it says $11 winner here, I'm so sorry!" and then handed me the $11.

After this 2nd experience I decided to register a complaint with the TN Lottery. They told me that the by-laws require the lottery agent to have the terminal facing the customer so he/she can see the readout to see what they've won. This gas station had the readout facing the outside window so you would have to go outside to see it.

The TN Lottery also said you can request/demand a receipt ticket to show what you've won even if it's a losing ticket and you've won nothing.

This episode made me wonder just how many unsuspecting and/or trusting people these weasels are ripping off on a regular basis and getting away with it.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this?

tiggs has had a ungoing sting operartion on this and has found out they just try to rip off the dumb looking lottery players...:).....God that was so easy..Let's do another..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19828 Posts
                            Posted: November 8, 2010, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

tiggs has had a ungoing sting operartion on this and has found out they just try to rip off the dumb looking lottery players...:).....God that was so easy..Let's do another..

With many cities reducing their budgets and citizens asking for less government in their life, even dumb looking lottery players should start running their own sting operations.  If they can't check their own tickets and make sure the clerks are not cheating them then maybe they shouldn't play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: November 8, 2010, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

With many cities reducing their budgets and citizens asking for less government in their life, even dumb looking lottery players should start running their own sting operations.  If they can't check their own tickets and make sure the clerks are not cheating them then maybe they shouldn't play.

THIS!!!!!!....