Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a Lottery Clerk Ever Attempted to Rip You Off?

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2010, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

With many cities reducing their budgets and citizens asking for less government in their life, even dumb looking lottery players should start running their own sting operations.  If they can't check their own tickets and make sure the clerks are not cheating them then maybe they shouldn't play.

I agree with your premise in principle RJOh but facing facts we have to accept that there are lower IQ people who play the lottery too and should they be victimized by these creeps just because they're born that way? I don't think so. There is no warning given that trusting, naive or otherwise challenged people take on more risk of being cheated out of their winnings than the rest of us so I think the integrity of the lotteries as a whole is absolutely vital.

Yes, there are cautions about checking your tickets yourself and signing your tickets and all that but lower IQ people are still going to be easy prey for these criminals and I think every measure available should be used against them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2010, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Stuff like this should be reported to the lottery commission.

Absolutely right Tenaj. Thumbs Up

Every time.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2010, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

It's really a shame that some people can rip others off without even batting an eye.  I have walked out of the Walmart forgetting to pay for a small toy my kids were holding and I turn right around and go back and pay, even though I made it to my car!  In good conscience I can't do it, it would bother me!  I was raised that stealing is wrong, I stole a tiny piece of candy once when I was 6 or 7 and I felt so bad that I ended up throwing the candy away when I got home. I couldn't even enjoy it, lol.   Morals seemed to have declined anymore, or maybe people are getting that desperate.

Some may be desperate Dawn but I'd bet most are just naturally low-down thievin' types.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2010, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I've had a few dishonest clerks. but I've more luck with more honest clerks. Sometimes I win more than I thought, I've bought tickets and almost walk out without my change and they stop me. Overall people are more honest than dishonest.

MarkP

"Overall people are more honest than dishonest."

That's what we'd all like to believe but maybe that particular job attracts more of a certain kind of personality than some other job might.

I'd be interested to know what you experienced with the dishonest clerks you ran into. 

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2010, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I really hope more people have stories to tell about this so we can maybe somehow develop a profile of dishonest lottery clerks to look out for and their MO (modus operandi) so people can watch for common themes that might tip us off to something happening or about to happen.

Some members may have scam experiences that none of us ever considered that could educate us and make us more careful.

For instance, I never new about the expired lottery ticket scam that fronjan told us about. I'll now be watching dates because of that.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2010, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I knew I had a $2.00 winner , this was years ago before they had the scan them yourself machines, I gave the clerk my ticket walked off to get a pop and when I went to check out he handed me a slip that said not a winner, I figured I goofed up, guess what? It happened to my neighbor across the street, he's knew the owner well and said something about this clerk, come to find out he kept a little pile of NOT A WINNER SLIPS HANDY. WELL HE GOT FIRED.

You have scanners?

Tennessee still doesn't.

We believe they're the work of the Devil here. Red Devil

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2010, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I've never had an issue with a scratch off however with a numbered ticket I have.  I bought 10 p3 tickets and only received 8 of them back.  Since I always count my tickets b4 I leave the counter, they didn't get me. Even charged me $10 for it.  When I brought it to the clerks attention, he told me no I gave u 10.  this went on for a few min until I pulled out my cell and told him I was calling the police! magically my ticket was on the counter in front of the lottery printer.... Needless to say after I told the other customers what he just did, I haven't went back there.

Some of em really got a lot of nerve to just bold-face lie to you when you're standing right there knowing what you paid for and what you got.

I'm glad you did what you did.

--Edmund Burke

Sacramento, CA
                United States
                Member #96354
                August 28, 2010
                159 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2010, 6:50 am - IP Logged

We hear about these types of rip-offs all the time in California. One clerk at a convenience store nearly got away with cashing a man's $500,000.00 Mega Millions ticket. He didn't sign it, and the clerk told him it was only a $2.00 winner! She tried to redeem the ticket a week later.  Luckily, the store security tapes, along with the lottery computer records showed the woman hiding the winning ticket at the time it was checked. She's now in jail, and the man got his money.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                  NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3707 Posts
                  Posted: November 9, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

If I checked my ticket and saw that it appeared to be a big winner, there's no way I would go near a clerk in a convenience store and ask them to tell me if they think I won. That's all they can do, because in New York, store clerks are not employed by the NY State lottery.  Beside the fact that convenience store clerks dont work for the lottery, the very first reason why I wouldnt go into a store and ask them if they think I had a winner is because I'd want to keep a very low profile.  And oh yeah, the clerk might be a slimeball. 

Since there's a regional lottery office in the county I live in, I'd go straight there.  If I was mistaken, they'd tell me. And if I really did win, they'd tell me that too.  There'll be plenty of time after The NY State lottery validated my winning ticket to go back to the store where I bought it.  (Even then, I might not bother to go back to the store.)

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4532 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2010, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I agree with your premise in principle RJOh but facing facts we have to accept that there are lower IQ people who play the lottery too and should they be victimized by these creeps just because they're born that way? I don't think so. There is no warning given that trusting, naive or otherwise challenged people take on more risk of being cheated out of their winnings than the rest of us so I think the integrity of the lotteries as a whole is absolutely vital.

Yes, there are cautions about checking your tickets yourself and signing your tickets and all that but lower IQ people are still going to be easy prey for these criminals and I think every measure available should be used against them.

rdg- take your heart meds ..I am about to agree with you yet again! Thank you for keeping an even head for folks of different upbringing and educations...not everyone has a silver spoon to walk around with and come off with the "everyone should" rule...that just isn't life.

Yes I have a favorite store, at one time the clerk ripped me off and I stood there thru four other customers til I got his attention, I was fuming! He tried to joke it off when I wouldnt back down...Luckily the owner popped in for the nightly deposit and I graciously told him of the mishap...I got my FULL compensation and his word that should this ever happen again in his store..He has posted the managements hotline number for assistance! He doesnt take any bullydoo doo from customers or employees. That clerk still tries to mess with me and sometimes does the shell game with the tickets and hands me ones that he goofed and printed...I tell him ..nope I know which numbers I play and these are not it!! THat too is another way they rip off a person by not handing them the real played numbers.....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2010, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

If I checked my ticket and saw that it appeared to be a big winner, there's no way I would go near a clerk in a convenience store and ask them to tell me if they think I won. That's all they can do, because in New York, store clerks are not employed by the NY State lottery.  Beside the fact that convenience store clerks dont work for the lottery, the very first reason why I wouldnt go into a store and ask them if they think I had a winner is because I'd want to keep a very low profile.  And oh yeah, the clerk might be a slimeball. 

Since there's a regional lottery office in the county I live in, I'd go straight there.  If I was mistaken, they'd tell me. And if I really did win, they'd tell me that too.  There'll be plenty of time after The NY State lottery validated my winning ticket to go back to the store where I bought it.  (Even then, I might not bother to go back to the store.)

People like you doing it the way you're supposed to aren't the ones getting ripped off, GiveFive.

It's the naive, trusting souls who haven't gotten the message or just don't have the capacity to carry it out.

They just hand the ticket to some anonymous clerk and trust that they'll tell them the truth.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

--Edmund Burke

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3707 Posts
                        Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

People like you doing it the way you're supposed to aren't the ones getting ripped off, GiveFive.

It's the naive, trusting souls who haven't gotten the message or just don't have the capacity to carry it out.

They just hand the ticket to some anonymous clerk and trust that they'll tell them the truth.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

You're correct rdgrnr, I guess I'm different in that I've thought about what I'd need to do if I won a Jackpot. It's probably a function of my career training that allows me to understand why people could hand a jackpot winning ticket to what amounts to a total stranger.

While I do agree that people are naive and trusting, I think it has a lot to do with something that people have no control over, which is the parasympathetic branch of their Autonomic Nervous System. 

Something so simple as a lottery ticket has the huge potential to create powerful emotional and physical responses not only in the true winner, but also in the person standing behind the counter.  If you see six matching numbers on your ticket, or if the scanner says "JACKPOT", it's normal for your parasympathetic nervous system to send your heartrate through the roof. (commonly referred to as an "adrenaline rush") You'll be breathing at a higher than normal rate, and your hands may tremble. You might experience total disbelief, or you might feel euphoric, but at that point, what you most likely wont be is cool, calm, collected and thinking rationally.  Because the winner is caught up in the moment, the ticket could very easily be handed over to a stranger.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

You're correct rdgrnr, I guess I'm different in that I've thought about what I'd need to do if I won a Jackpot. It's probably a function of my career training that allows me to understand why people could hand a jackpot winning ticket to what amounts to a total stranger.

While I do agree that people are naive and trusting, I think it has a lot to do with something that people have no control over, which is the parasympathetic branch of their Autonomic Nervous System. 

Something so simple as a lottery ticket has the huge potential to create powerful emotional and physical responses not only in the true winner, but also in the person standing behind the counter.  If you see six matching numbers on your ticket, or if the scanner says "JACKPOT", it's normal for your parasympathetic nervous system to send your heartrate through the roof. (commonly referred to as an "adrenaline rush") You'll be breathing at a higher than normal rate, and your hands may tremble. You might experience total disbelief, or you might feel euphoric, but at that point, what you most likely wont be is cool, calm, collected and thinking rationally.  Because the winner is caught up in the moment, the ticket could very easily be handed over to a stranger.

Thanks GF, that sounds reasonable.

I think I've even experienced the parasympathetic branch of my autonomic nervous system sending my heartrate through the roof with an adrenaline rush while breathing at a higher than normal rate with trembling hands in total disbelief in a state of euphoria. It happens once a month when I go to the liquor store to stock up and I see the Jack Daniels display through the liquor store window as I'm driving up.

Seriously though, whether it be through education or enforcement or both, I wish we could put an end to the graft, which I believe is a lot more widespread than we even imagine.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

rdg- take your heart meds ..I am about to agree with you yet again! Thank you for keeping an even head for folks of different upbringing and educations...not everyone has a silver spoon to walk around with and come off with the "everyone should" rule...that just isn't life.

Yes I have a favorite store, at one time the clerk ripped me off and I stood there thru four other customers til I got his attention, I was fuming! He tried to joke it off when I wouldnt back down...Luckily the owner popped in for the nightly deposit and I graciously told him of the mishap...I got my FULL compensation and his word that should this ever happen again in his store..He has posted the managements hotline number for assistance! He doesnt take any bullydoo doo from customers or employees. That clerk still tries to mess with me and sometimes does the shell game with the tickets and hands me ones that he goofed and printed...I tell him ..nope I know which numbers I play and these are not it!! THat too is another way they rip off a person by not handing them the real played numbers.....

Thanks TGG, I doubled up on my blood pressure pills just in case.

Well there's another one now, not only do we have to watch for wrong dates but wrong numbers.

I'm sure everybody would notice by the time they got home or when they checked them but then it would be too late. That's one of the fine print warnings that most people probably don't pay much attention to - "check your tickets before you leave the counter."

I know it'd be a long, embarrassing walk to the counter after the drawing to say they gave you the wrong numbers. lol

--Edmund Burke

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3707 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2010, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Thanks GF, that sounds reasonable.

I think I've even experienced the parasympathetic branch of my autonomic nervous system sending my heartrate through the roof with an adrenaline rush while breathing at a higher than normal rate with trembling hands in total disbelief in a state of euphoria. It happens once a month when I go to the liquor store to stock up and I see the Jack Daniels display through the liquor store window as I'm driving up.

Seriously though, whether it be through education or enforcement or both, I wish we could put an end to the graft, which I believe is a lot more widespread than we even imagine.

I got a good laugh reading your post rdgrnr! 

I'm sure the ripoff artists are everywhere, and have  been getting away with it for too long. I'm not holding my breath waiting for The State of New York to proactively do something about it. 

BTW... there's a recent million dollar scratch off winner's picture on The NYS Lottery's website.  She says her "head hurt and she couldn't stop shaking"...   she said she thought she saw the match for the million, but "started doubting my own eyes and decided to put my glasses on"....  That PNS response is very real...

IMHO what makes people so vulnerable is that they dont expect to win because they've bought so many non-winners.  Couple that with the fact they've probably never been in a situation quite like it before, the physical response by their PNS, and it's no wonder they are wide open to making what could be a terrible mistake.