Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a Lottery Clerk Ever Attempted to Rip You Off?

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 6 years ago by sully16.

Page 7 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
Member #47420
November 4, 2006
3930 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2010, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I hope tiggs don't commence to cuttin off his mullet just cuzza this now.

tiggs has always held a warm spot in his heart for people from Tn...but found out it was only gas...badda bing!!..

Pure luck

bigdaddy's avatar - aviator2 1.jpg
    BETWEEN OAKRIDGE AND WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB
    United States
    Member #1647
    June 10, 2003
    2213 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2010, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

It's happened to me twice this year.

Once where a clerk in VA kept my exchange ticket which I related not too long ago and once a couple of weeks ago.

In the recent incident, I sent my wife, who is not a player, (Man, what a segue for a joke!) into a gas station we rarely frequent to cash in a Tennessee Cash ticket. It was a $5 Quick Pick with 2 winners on it. One was 2 numbers which wins a free ticket and one was 3 numbers and the Cash Ball which was worth $11 (pari-mutuel).

I told her what winners were on the ticket and she took it in. When she came out she had the free ticket but not the $11. I asked her what the deal was and she said the clerk just gave her the free ticket and when she asked about the other win, the clerk said that that was all there was.

Knowing I had just gotten ripped off, I got out of the truck and went inside. I told the clerk the deal and she said that no, there was only one winner. I told her to let me see the ticket so I could make sure. She reached over in a box and pulled it out but wouldn't hand it to me to see. It was stapled to another receipt ticket that the machine had spit out.

She feigned surprise as she looked at it  and said "Oh yeah, it says $11 winner here, I'm so sorry!" and then handed me the $11.

After this 2nd experience I decided to register a complaint with the TN Lottery. They told me that the by-laws require the lottery agent to have the terminal facing the customer so he/she can see the readout to see what they've won. This gas station had the readout facing the outside window so you would have to go outside to see it.

The TN Lottery also said you can request/demand a receipt ticket to show what you've won even if it's a losing ticket and you've won nothing.

This episode made me wonder just how many unsuspecting and/or trusting people these weasels are ripping off on a regular basis and getting away with it.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this?

while i have never had it happen to me,i have had a clerk printout a duplicate ticket from my tickets and play it..she didn't charge me for it so i said whatever.she won $800.00 dollars off it...i'll never go in her store again so i hope she spent it wisely....

Relax,Bigdaddy has your number!!!!!

Pi is the way...

turning $30 or less into thousands everyday!!

here we go steelers ..here we go---------stairway to seven 

TIME FOR THE LOMBARDI TROPHY TO  COME  HOME..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 25, 2010, 2:01 am - IP Logged

while i have never had it happen to me,i have had a clerk printout a duplicate ticket from my tickets and play it..she didn't charge me for it so i said whatever.she won $800.00 dollars off it...i'll never go in her store again so i hope she spent it wisely....

Good story bigdaddy, thanks. I've never even considered a scenario like that. And that could've been a major problem with a jackpot ticket.

I have had a clerk who occasionally asks if I want him to throw my playslips away after he runs them through the machine and I always decline and ask for them back. I can't say for sure what his motives are but I ain't splittin if I don't have to.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

SWEETMONEY's avatar - 1270623752brv
        flow of currency
        United States
        Member #97634
        September 20, 2010
        23 Posts
        Posted: November 25, 2010, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Had two tickets a couple months back wth the 721 exact and 50/50.  The clerk stated that she only had enough for cash one ticket.  She tried to keep the other one.  I politly told her to hand me the other.  She played dumb and gave it to me.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 25, 2010, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Had two tickets a couple months back wth the 721 exact and 50/50.  The clerk stated that she only had enough for cash one ticket.  She tried to keep the other one.  I politly told her to hand me the other.  She played dumb and gave it to me.

Thanks SWEETMONEY.

Yeah, that seems to be part of the profile, playing dumb when they get caught.

The two that tried ripping me did the same thing.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

SWEETMONEY's avatar - 1270623752brv
            flow of currency
            United States
            Member #97634
            September 20, 2010
            23 Posts
            Posted: November 29, 2010, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Elder do you know this number hit two days later the evening number.

Fla386's avatar - nw sorc2.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #99664
              October 29, 2010
              3332 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2010, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I was behind a elder man last night,proably 70's early 80's,anyways he looked like he could have been a easy target for what,proably happened. He had played 033, $1 STR.But he was telling the clerk he was only given $10 bucks for his win Eek. I looked at the ticket as the clerk told me to go ahead while she called the manager over to look at his ticket and deal with it.He was a winner,with 033 str for a $1. So somewhere he got crapped out of $490 bucks by a clerk. Hope whoever done this to that man has 490 days of bad a33 luck !!!! Smash

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: December 1, 2010, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Good story bigdaddy, thanks. I've never even considered a scenario like that. And that could've been a major problem with a jackpot ticket.

I have had a clerk who occasionally asks if I want him to throw my playslips away after he runs them through the machine and I always decline and ask for them back. I can't say for sure what his motives are but I ain't splittin if I don't have to.

rd "but I ain;t splitting if I don;t have to" 

rd;  I hope you meant that and did not split from the planet!!!   

Le us know you are running from your 7th x-wife...drinking yourself into next year.. the sheriff have you locked up in the county Jail....You won the Big One Finally and Split...anything as long as you are fine...

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40374 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2010, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Beware take your losing tickets with you, don't leave them in community garbage cans.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"