Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does Mathematical Innumeracy foster superstitions and support the belief in them?

Topic closed. 122 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 3 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

Does Mathematical Innumeracy foster superstitions and support the belief in them?

Yes [ 9 ]  [45.00%]
No [ 11 ]  [55.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #81843
October 31, 2009
856 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2011, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Good one Jimmy

do you think someone with an IQ of 143 could figure out what the punchline is?

How about this?

http://thenumerati.net/?postID=498&pie-chart-innumeracy

or    http://www.flickr.com/photos/functoruser/3717822351/

DD

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2011, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Interesting somethig like the NBA draft would be brough up in a thread trying to refute superstition.

Sports, gambling, and entertainment are full of superstition.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #81843
      October 31, 2009
      856 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2011, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Interesting somethig like the NBA draft would be brough up in a thread trying to refute superstition.

Sports, gambling, and entertainment are full of superstition.

Oh thank you Jimmy!

CT’s post just brought in another $2,000.00

There are a few more side bets to win so I will not give away the details.

The most I can win is ten grand and it looks good. The big bet is five grand.

DD BananaBananaBananaBanana

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
        Member #59354
        March 13, 2008
        3971 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2011, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Good one Jimmy

do you think someone with an IQ of 143 could figure out what the punchline is?

How about this?

http://thenumerati.net/?postID=498&pie-chart-innumeracy

or    http://www.flickr.com/photos/functoruser/3717822351/

DD

DD

Ha, Ha. Should have said I scored above 99.96% of everyone who took the same test, making fun of a disability

is right down your alley.  Is this all you got, sadly I think it is.  Maybe someday you will post something that shows

a little intellect instead of hiding behind insults.       

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
          Member #81843
          October 31, 2009
          856 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2011, 2:27 am - IP Logged

DD

Ha, Ha. Should have said I scored above 99.96% of everyone who took the same test, making fun of a disability

is right down your alley.  Is this all you got, sadly I think it is.  Maybe someday you will post something that shows

a little intellect instead of hiding behind insults.       

RL

RL,

Ha HA! is right.

Can you get a refund on your education? There is a name for people with large heads. Your SAT score only documents what you knew and how well you tested on an exam you could cram for. Now you want to brow beat me with your old IQ and a SAT score when you cannot answer a yes/no question? Ha HA! Moonwatcher, go throw your bone and howl at the moon, ad astra.

DD

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3971 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2011, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Oh thank you Jimmy!

CT’s post just brought in another $2,000.00

There are a few more side bets to win so I will not give away the details.

The most I can win is ten grand and it looks good. The big bet is five grand.

DD BananaBananaBananaBanana

DD

Maybe a course in some remedial math, First you say that you made a grand off of CT's first post and 

then after his second post you made another $2,000,00.  Now I am really confused, maybe you are

somehow predicting the future in anticipation, Or maybe you just can't count, which is it.

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
              Member #59354
              March 13, 2008
              3971 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2011, 2:39 am - IP Logged

DD

I think your betting and winning streak here is all just a big illusion.

RL

United States
                Member #59354
                March 13, 2008
                3971 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2011, 3:57 am - IP Logged

DD

Don't feel to bad, Obama once said he had visited 57 states with only one to go but he was not allowed

to go to AK. or HI.   Did not take me much thought to know what he meant to say while others still haven't

figured it out.

RL

United States
                  Member #81843
                  October 31, 2009
                  856 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2011, 4:33 am - IP Logged

DD

Don't feel to bad, Obama once said he had visited 57 states with only one to go but he was not allowed

to go to AK. or HI.   Did not take me much thought to know what he meant to say while others still haven't

figured it out.

RL

“Don’t feel to bad”?????

My-my a triple bump! You really need to get out of your parent’s basement.

That’s okay RL, innumeracy precludes your understanding. Don’t lose any more sleep
                  over it. You should have recognized that being you are a confessed a dyslexic
                  with a high IQ. What was your SAT ranking again? Was that a national percentile
                  or the local one?

I know comprehension is difficult there and If I were you I would be crowing my
                  whole life about my IQ and SAT score, but if you reread the post, the first two
                  grand were clearly explained for the conditions that needed to be met. The
                  second 2 G’s conditional outline was not explained. You ever have trouble with
                  word problems Mr. 143?    2G’s +2G’s = 4G’s  Gee!

If it pleases you, this is entertainment related as well as educational for the
                  guys on Monday who will be all over this thread, getting paid to read the mail.
                  It should liven up the week before the big weekend for many. Innumeracy
                  influences action that is very predictable.

Innumeracy is a goldmine. Always was. It has not been this good in a long time.

Good morning England and the EU! time to rally

DD

PS
                       ‘ante’ is the correct spelling for ‘anti’. Ha-ha.

Hey,
                  throw me a bone here, Where does the decimal go on your "to bad" 143?

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                    United States
                    Member #4924
                    June 3, 2004
                    5896 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2011, 6:01 am - IP Logged

“Don’t feel to bad”?????

That’s okay RL, innumeracy precludes your understanding. Don’t lose any more sleep
                    or the local one?

DD

PS

Hey,

The man in this link was the most intelligent person, I have ever known or work with. Never once did I hear him talk down to someone or belittle someone, due to lack of education or understanding the point, he was addressing.

http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/newslett/news7606.htm

United States
                      Member #105312
                      January 29, 2011
                      435 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2011, 7:22 am - IP Logged

The man in this link was the most intelligent person, I have ever known or work with. Never once did I hear him talk down to someone or belittle someone, due to lack of education or understanding the point, he was addressing.

http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/newslett/news7606.htm

Hi Carbob:  Must have been nice knowing the guy.  Some talk down, others don't, and the downtalking doesn't take anything away from what they have to say, provided they have something to say.  It's still worth the effort of listening, trying to comprehend.  It's worth being belittled, which doesn't amount to anything, for an opportunity to learn something, which might.

On the other hand, there's a substantial piece of the population prone to downtalk and belittle without having anything at all to say worth listening to. The downtalking and belittling still doesn't do any harm to the person belittled or downtalked to.  But it changes the equation considerably.

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3971 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2011, 7:28 am - IP Logged

“Don’t feel to bad”?????

or the local one?

DD

PS

Hey,

DD

I am totally convinced that you not only suffer from innumeracy but illiteracy also.   Be very interested

to know your imaginary betting friends name.   Does this person visit your srink with you and if so do

you have to pay double?  Use that four grand wisely maybe you can buy a motel or a couple houses

your next roll of the dice.  Move out of my parents basement, now thats original but your about 35

years to late.  Mr 143, I like that but seems to me you missed the point by a mile.  While many did try

and make a big deal way back then I thought it was meaningless and still don't see a connection between

my scores and the lottery.  I would also like you to explain in detail how this will help me win the lottery.

My math skills are intact and I would bet that they are somewhat beyound what you think you know. 

What will you do with the data gathered from this topic because I would be most interested in knowing. 

Maybe will you will use it to lobby congress to up the spending on education.  I would rather think that it

was a poor attempt on your part to gain some much needed attention trying to make yourself look smart. 

I have known parents of children that had no education yet taught their kids to save and not waste money

on gambling and  other such things.  Now in your wide range of knowledge explain how that innumeracy

played a roll here.  Sometimes, would only seem irrelevant if one was not interested in what people thought.

My biggest wish would be that people like you would stop using LP as a launch pad to showcase their

arrrogance and ignorance trying to look smart.

RL

United States
                          Member #105312
                          January 29, 2011
                          435 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2011, 7:51 am - IP Logged

DD

I am totally convinced that you not only suffer from innumeracy but illiteracy also.   Be very interested

to know your imaginary betting friends name.   Does this person visit your srink with you and if so do

you have to pay double?  Use that four grand wisely maybe you can buy a motel or a couple houses

your next roll of the dice.  Move out of my parents basement, now thats original but your about 35

years to late.  Mr 143, I like that but seems to me you missed the point by a mile.  While many did try

and make a big deal way back then I thought it was meaningless and still don't see a connection between

my scores and the lottery.  I would also like you to explain in detail how this will help me win the lottery.

My math skills are intact and I would bet that they are somewhat beyound what you think you know. 

What will you do with the data gathered from this topic because I would be most interested in knowing. 

Maybe will you will use it to lobby congress to up the spending on education.  I would rather think that it

was a poor attempt on your part to gain some much needed attention trying to make yourself look smart. 

I have known parents of children that had no education yet taught their kids to save and not waste money

on gambling and  other such things.  Now in your wide range of knowledge explain how that innumeracy

played a roll here.  Sometimes, would only seem irrelevant if one was not interested in what people thought.

My biggest wish would be that people like you would stop using LP as a launch pad to showcase their

RL

RL:  I'm stepping outside what's my own business and what's yours in saying this, but you don't need to defend yourself to this creature.  Nor to the other one.  Your credentials are already established in the history of your posts.

If you're here because the lotteries are a game and because sharing your interests with others who enjoy the game gives you pleasure the joy of it isn't likely to be improved by letting yourself be baited by trolls.

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3971 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2011, 8:56 am - IP Logged

RL:  I'm stepping outside what's my own business and what's yours in saying this, but you don't need to defend yourself to this creature.  Nor to the other one.  Your credentials are already established in the history of your posts.

If you're here because the lotteries are a game and because sharing your interests with others who enjoy the game gives you pleasure the joy of it isn't likely to be improved by letting yourself be baited by trolls.

I Agree!  Maybe some day I will get to meet some of these people in person.

RL

United States
                              Member #93947
                              July 10, 2010
                              2180 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2011, 10:25 am - IP Logged

DD

RL

I thought you were seriously examining your beliefs but it appears you can't give up trying to convince others that the general intelligence of a poster lends credence to their dissemination of mathematical fallacies.

For many years I had daily contact with researchers of high intelligence, many of whom surely had IQs in excess of that which you believe you possess.  Interestingly, in all those years, I can truthfully say that not one of them ever felt a need to announce to the rest of us what their IQ was.  Not one.