Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mathematics and the Lottery

648 replies. Last post 1 day ago by Sunglasses.

Page 20 of 44
PrintE-mailLink

Can a winning lottery system be created with existing math formulas?

Yes-It's all in the math books. [ 228 ]  [43.02%]
No-Anew math for will have to be created. [ 78 ]  [14.72%]
Math won't beat the lottery regularly. [ 224 ]  [42.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 530 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 54 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2012, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Yes, it IS all in the books already.......

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
    Member #134627
    November 2, 2012
    1001 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2012, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Lottery balls are marked with numbers, but those marks could be just pictures or  letters, or colors. Not everything is solvable by math. If there would be a formula, it could be as long as DNA.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7313 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2012, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Another math question...............

What are my overall odds on a game

if the 5 of 5 part is 1 in 1 million odds,

and the bonus part is 1 in 20 ??

If your odds of matching 5 are 1:1M then with 20 bonus numbers your odds of match 5+1 would be 20 x 1:1M or 1:20M

Where are you guys getting your info from?

In all my time in public education, and all the probabilty sh*t the made us sit through, i dont remember one relevant example on how to beat the lottery?  coincidence? is this some sort of conspiracy "theory"? 

Wouldn't it be fitting to teach kids to save your allowance money and beat the lottery?

Although the answer is always simple when explained to you,( although often it interestingly doesn't sink in for me), and i forget it 10 minutes later. I do understand the derivate, and the tangent. And brownian motion. 

Where is stack?  I love his posts.  He is so on point with math and data.  He is so sincere in his efforts, i cant seem to pin him as a Repugnican, or a Dumbnocrat. Althought the ORACLE his is prejudices about him.  Wretched ole moonshine miser.

Politically I'm a moderate because every once in a while people from both parties have good ideas. I also understand odds so when I lived in predominately Republican or Democrat districts, I registered to vote with the majority party because the outcomes were settled in the primaries. Currently I'm living in a solid red district.

Handicapping this past presidential election was easy just by looking at nothing but the maths. There is no point spread and the incumbent only had to win two or three of the 8 swing states making him about a 4 to 1 favorite. I wouldn't even try to handicap the popular vote because as we learned in 2000, the winner of the popular vote doesn't always win the election.

Playing Internet poker is fun, I'm pretty good at it, and played until April 15, 2011 when the Feds seized the domains. Online horse racing wagering remains, the states are getting their cut from taxes and the Feds are collecting on wins over $600. They both can get even more revenue from Internet poker, but the Republican Party Platform called for a ban on all forms of Internet gambling and no amount of home grown spin will change that fact.

" i dont remember one relevant example on how to beat the lottery?"

I don't know about beating any lottery game, but in just about in every state pick-3 game, the payoffs are averaging about 50%. Some states average over $1 million a day in sales so it means someone is getting their share of a half million every day. Only five predictor on LP have over a 100% life time prize ratio and 100% only means breaking even.

Almost everybody will tell you the odds against one digit being being drawn in the pick-3 game is 9 to 1, but that one digit appears in 27.1% of the combos. 729 ways to lose compared to 271 ways to win are odds of 2.7 to 1. Math teachers should teach the kids the correct way to figure percentages and maybe when their adults, they won't use their ideology to handicap presidential elections.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
        Member #5599
        July 13, 2004
        1185 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2012, 12:33 pm - IP Logged
          St.Louis,Mo.
          United States
          Member #136103
          December 3, 2012
          1 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2012, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

There is other forces that dictates outcome .

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2012, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Politically I'm a moderate because every once in a while people from both parties have good ideas. I also understand odds so when I lived in predominately Republican or Democrat districts, I registered to vote with the majority party because the outcomes were settled in the primaries. Currently I'm living in a solid red district.

Handicapping this past presidential election was easy just by looking at nothing but the maths. There is no point spread and the incumbent only had to win two or three of the 8 swing states making him about a 4 to 1 favorite. I wouldn't even try to handicap the popular vote because as we learned in 2000, the winner of the popular vote doesn't always win the election.

Playing Internet poker is fun, I'm pretty good at it, and played until April 15, 2011 when the Feds seized the domains. Online horse racing wagering remains, the states are getting their cut from taxes and the Feds are collecting on wins over $600. They both can get even more revenue from Internet poker, but the Republican Party Platform called for a ban on all forms of Internet gambling and no amount of home grown spin will change that fact.

" i dont remember one relevant example on how to beat the lottery?"

I don't know about beating any lottery game, but in just about in every state pick-3 game, the payoffs are averaging about 50%. Some states average over $1 million a day in sales so it means someone is getting their share of a half million every day. Only five predictor on LP have over a 100% life time prize ratio and 100% only means breaking even.

Almost everybody will tell you the odds against one digit being being drawn in the pick-3 game is 9 to 1, but that one digit appears in 27.1% of the combos. 729 ways to lose compared to 271 ways to win are odds of 2.7 to 1. Math teachers should teach the kids the correct way to figure percentages and maybe when their adults, they won't use their ideology to handicap presidential elections.

" i dont remember one relevant example on how to beat the lottery?" Probability is about odds. The game is about the payouts. If you mix both you get expectancy. Lottoboner might have learned the odds at school but not the expectancy. The only thing that you have in your hand is how much you are prepared to loose. If there was a sure way to predict numbers, we might have a good go at it.

There was François-Marie Arouet who became rich with a French lottery. "... À son retour d’Angleterre, il n’a que quelques économies qu’il s’emploie activement à faire fructifier. Il gagne un capital important (avec d’autres et sur une idée du mathématicien Charles Marie de La Condamine) en participant à une loterie d’État mal conçue."

Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2012, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Our dear Canadian professor also played the lotterie in France and left after winning as sum. He nearly had no money left after having pumped all his money into lottery tickets.

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2012, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

" i dont remember one relevant example on how to beat the lottery?" Probability is about odds. The game is about the payouts. If you mix both you get expectancy. Lottoboner might have learned the odds at school but not the expectancy. The only thing that you have in your hand is how much you are prepared to loose. If there was a sure way to predict numbers, we might have a good go at it.

There was François-Marie Arouet who became rich with a French lottery. "... À son retour d’Angleterre, il n’a que quelques économies qu’il s’emploie activement à faire fructifier. Il gagne un capital important (avec d’autres et sur une idée du mathématicien Charles Marie de La Condamine) en participant à une loterie d’État mal conçue."

Well things like the lottery master guide could be taught in schools, as well as odds and payout, or expectancy.

I have found that to win the lottery you really must only (count of N)X3 variables.

Where N is the amount of balls and the consider variables are

Adjacent Left or Adjacent right.

these variables coincidentally also follow the PatriotTM

it mostly is a means of timing.

My math is bad because i had some sucky math teachers, also because i was out of school when we learned multiplication tables, so i am kind of slow, and i subtracted backwards for a long time, ( remembered the correct way by watching youtube), but have forgetten again the correct way.

Also i think Serges math is better than mine because of his proximity to greece.

The fumes from the oracle better diffuse to belgium than to america thus giving belgians a more intuitive feeling for math.  And Fracois-Marie blah blah, also could become rich, because the fumes diffuse to france very well.

Those in great britain do worse in math because of the high winds over the english channel, taking the delphic gaseaous wisdom and diluting it greatly.

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2012, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

To know math, you have to study math at university.

I have not learnt much of it.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7313 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:26 am - IP Logged

The lotteries payoff odds are generally 50% of the probable odds in pick-3 and pick-4 games. The closest any group came to beating a lottery was a couple months ago when Kentucky paid out 97% of their pick-3 sales for an entire month. Kentucky does payoff at 60% of the true odds.

United States
                      Member #93947
                      July 10, 2010
                      2180 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:35 am - IP Logged

This article doesn't target the lottery specifically, but it's applicable, nonetheless...

http://www.wizardofodds.com/gambling/betting-systems

United States
                        Member #124493
                        March 14, 2012
                        7023 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2012, 1:39 am - IP Logged

To know math, you have to study math at university.

I have not learnt much of it.

I disagree.

First of all there is math.

Then there is probability.

Then there is chaos theory.

Chaos theory probably encompasses all three, and quantum mechanics and calculus and even some addition and subtraction.

To know math all you have to do is understand the cookie monster.

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2012, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

The lotteries payoff odds are generally 50% of the probable odds in pick-3 and pick-4 games. The closest any group came to beating a lottery was a couple months ago when Kentucky paid out 97% of their pick-3 sales for an entire month. Kentucky does payoff at 60% of the true odds.

Generally the expectancy is under 50%.

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2012, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Generally the expectancy is under 50%.

Generally you cant win with losing numbers.

Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: December 18, 2012, 7:03 am - IP Logged

Generally you cant win with losing numbers.

Then start playing the other ones. Green laugh

Page 20 of 44