Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mathematics and the Lottery

652 replies. Last post 1 day ago by Catpickednumber.

Page 16 of 44
PrintE-mailLink

Can a winning lottery system be created with existing math formulas?

Yes-It's all in the math books. [ 228 ]  [43.02%]
No-Anew math for will have to be created. [ 78 ]  [14.72%]
Math won't beat the lottery regularly. [ 224 ]  [42.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 530 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 54 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1649 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

i am a master lotto keno winner and if i win on tues its not by luck or mathematics, its possible to predict and i am trying to do so with 46 blocks thorugh the agents on internet as i am in new zealand.  the total of two winning numbers is 75 i predict this is for certain and there was 0 maths involved in the prediction , in fact there is 0 maths in the entire prediction at all times.

maths is required to mark the numbers. as all the time i have or see winning numbers in a various fashions like : in a group of 5 numbers all possible one or two or three or four or five to match with another group of 10 numbers to match respectively and so on, finally all to instantly give me all the possible 6 number or 7 or 5 number combinations possible with on repititions and play the entire lot, and certainly i will get the jackpot for cetain 1 or more out of 30 tries .  average my predictions wont cost more than half spent in a period of 30 tries or 5 years.

Well, I see numbers all over your post here which means that you do, in fact, use math for your approach to Keno. Agree? You're also figuring in overall odds as well which is a by-product of math. To arrive at one number or combination, you must begin from one. "a group of 5 numbers", "another group of 10 numbers",  6 number or 7 or 5 number combinations"... there's math in everything you're doing otherwise you're just guessing.Stop

L.L.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2012, 6:38 am - IP Logged

Well, I see numbers all over your post here which means that you do, in fact, use math for your approach to Keno. Agree? You're also figuring in overall odds as well which is a by-product of math. To arrive at one number or combination, you must begin from one. "a group of 5 numbers", "another group of 10 numbers",  6 number or 7 or 5 number combinations"... there's math in everything you're doing otherwise you're just guessing.Stop

L.L.

The lack of understanding combinations leads Kaitas to incapacity of filtering combinations.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
      Member #5599
      July 13, 2004
      1185 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2012, 6:08 am - IP Logged

FYI

OK, computation

July 2, 2012 By Pete Wilton

"It seems like Nature has some secret that lets it make complicated stuff in an effortless way," Stephen Wolfram recently told an audience at Oxford University’s Mathematical Institute.

In his talk, that you can now watch online, Wolfram, the scientist behind Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha, explored how advances in computation could benefit mathematics.

One of the key ideas he put forward was 'computational irreducibility' – the idea that some computations cannot be sped up by any shortcut, the only way to figure out what is going to happen is to simulate each step.

"People sometimes say that the reason the mathematics that we have is the way it is, is because that's what we need to describe the natural world, I think that's just not true," he commented.

He suggested that much of the reason mathematics covers the areas it does is historical, building on work begun by the first mathematicians in ancient Babylon.

Computational irreducibility, he said, is a 'junior version of ‘undecidability'' – the idea that when you ask the question of what will ultimately happen the answer is something that is undecidable. Whilst there are over three million theorems in mathematics these are all things that turned out to be decidable/provable.

There isn’t much undecidability in mathematics because maths is set up to examine those things its methods can make progress on: "mathematics has navigated through these kind of narrow paths in which you don't run into rampant undecidability all over the place."

Ask mathematical questions at random, he suggested, and you would soon run into undecidability. But perhaps through exploring the space of all possible theorems, using tools such as Wolfram Alpha, you might find new paths.

He described the point of Wolfram Alpha as 'to collect as much knowledge as possible and make it computable', and that this approach could be applied to find out which theorems about a particular structure or system were 'interesting' or 'powerful'.

A pilot study focusing on one particular area of maths, continued fractions, is already showing that the process of organizing theorems in a way that’s systematically computable is leading to new advances, he said.

In a contrast to the days when mathematicians did all of their calculations by hand, the future of mathematical process could be that, by entering some details of a system, within seconds they would automatically see a range of theorems about it.

This would give a window on what he called a "vast ocean of unexplored generalisation of mathematicsthat exists in this computational universe of possible systems."

More information: www.stephenwolfram.com/

Provided by Oxford University

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

United States
        Member #5599
        July 13, 2004
        1185 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2012, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Hi,

The links below may be of interest to some.

The idea being to present potentially alternate methods of analyzing and predicting lottery numbers normally not seen at the LP.

Bursty behaviour found to have similar features across complex systems

http://phys.org/news/2012-06-bursty-behaviour-similar-features-complex.html

Universal features of correlated bursty behaviour

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120504/srep00397/full/srep00397.html

Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

FYI

OK, computation

July 2, 2012 By Pete Wilton

"It seems like Nature has some secret that lets it make complicated stuff in an effortless way," Stephen Wolfram recently told an audience at Oxford University’s Mathematical Institute.

In his talk, that you can now watch online, Wolfram, the scientist behind Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha, explored how advances in computation could benefit mathematics.

One of the key ideas he put forward was 'computational irreducibility' – the idea that some computations cannot be sped up by any shortcut, the only way to figure out what is going to happen is to simulate each step.

"People sometimes say that the reason the mathematics that we have is the way it is, is because that's what we need to describe the natural world, I think that's just not true," he commented.

He suggested that much of the reason mathematics covers the areas it does is historical, building on work begun by the first mathematicians in ancient Babylon.

Computational irreducibility, he said, is a 'junior version of ‘undecidability'' – the idea that when you ask the question of what will ultimately happen the answer is something that is undecidable. Whilst there are over three million theorems in mathematics these are all things that turned out to be decidable/provable.

There isn’t much undecidability in mathematics because maths is set up to examine those things its methods can make progress on: "mathematics has navigated through these kind of narrow paths in which you don't run into rampant undecidability all over the place."

Ask mathematical questions at random, he suggested, and you would soon run into undecidability. But perhaps through exploring the space of all possible theorems, using tools such as Wolfram Alpha, you might find new paths.

He described the point of Wolfram Alpha as 'to collect as much knowledge as possible and make it computable', and that this approach could be applied to find out which theorems about a particular structure or system were 'interesting' or 'powerful'.

A pilot study focusing on one particular area of maths, continued fractions, is already showing that the process of organizing theorems in a way that’s systematically computable is leading to new advances, he said.

In a contrast to the days when mathematicians did all of their calculations by hand, the future of mathematical process could be that, by entering some details of a system, within seconds they would automatically see a range of theorems about it.

This would give a window on what he called a "vast ocean of unexplored generalisation of mathematicsthat exists in this computational universe of possible systems."

More information: www.stephenwolfram.com/

Provided by Oxford University

I watched the video and I see no use for it.
          A computer works with bits, zeros and ones.

I have seen no algorithm in the movie,
          there was one single explanation in the whole video.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3985 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2012, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

The links below may be of interest to some.

The idea being to present potentially alternate methods of analyzing and predicting lottery numbers normally not seen at the LP.

Bursty behaviour found to have similar features across complex systems

http://phys.org/news/2012-06-bursty-behaviour-similar-features-complex.html

Universal features of correlated bursty behaviour

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120504/srep00397/full/srep00397.html

JKING

I don't know how you find these sort of articles but keep it up.  Thumbs Up.   I have been working on several

algorithms that go along with "bursty behavior."  Never heard the term before but it perty much describes

what I have been working on. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2012, 6:14 am - IP Logged

JKING

I don't know how you find these sort of articles but keep it up.  Thumbs Up.   I have been working on several

algorithms that go along with "bursty behavior."  Never heard the term before but it perty much describes

what I have been working on. 

RL

the way i see it is that these non intermission periods are as "like a burst of lightning"...

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2012, 8:08 am - IP Logged

I watched the video and I see no use for it.
                A computer works with bits, zeros and ones.

I have seen no algorithm in the movie,
                there was one single explanation in the whole video.

well i think the use in the video is the idea of thinking about structures...

if you use math then you are looking for structures within the matrix...structures of the "variables" underlying the actual numbers...in addition to the numbers themselves...(as is above, so is below)

He says look for interesting structures...

and how to create thereoms to define and locate those structures...

But the first thing to ask is...what interesting structures appear when you study lottery results?...

its more than just count of hits in 100 games...but what interesting structures lie behind those hits...

i think the point of the video is using generalized mathematics to automate computing using descriptive theorems for interesting structures...

so applied to lottery maybe the computation can give you a snapshots of the "evolving interesting structures" White Bounce

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2012, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

well i think the use in the video is the idea of thinking about structures...

if you use math then you are looking for structures within the matrix...structures of the "variables" underlying the actual numbers...in addition to the numbers themselves...(as is above, so is below)

He says look for interesting structures...

and how to create thereoms to define and locate those structures...

But the first thing to ask is...what interesting structures appear when you study lottery results?...

its more than just count of hits in 100 games...but what interesting structures lie behind those hits...

i think the point of the video is using generalized mathematics to automate computing using descriptive theorems for interesting structures...

so applied to lottery maybe the computation can give you a snapshots of the "evolving interesting structures" White Bounce

The video show pictures created by algorithms.
                  The algorithms aren't shown.

There was an algorithm for random but
                  it wasn't explained.

The video is useless.

United States
                    Member #5599
                    July 13, 2004
                    1185 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2012, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The video show pictures created by algorithms.
                    The algorithms aren't shown.

There was an algorithm for random but
                    it wasn't explained.

The video is useless.

Hi SergeM,

All the aticles/videos I have supplied, or will supply, are potential ways for analysis. None of them will give you alogrithims, as appled tp the lottery, on a silver platter. If you find merit in thier concepts, it will require extra work on your part to research and adapt the concept to the lottery. The infomation I'm supplying is only meant to stimulate the developement of new methods. Of course, you can continue using the recycled methods with different twists that have been floating around on the LP for a long time (with very little success).

Thanks for your input. All opinions are welcome. *S*

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3985 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2012, 10:20 am - IP Logged

JKING

I think I am leaning toward the new math option but not sure that the solution will be considered math.

In math things have to add up so to say but what if we fashioned our lottery analysis similar to a truth

table used in digital electronics.   

Example And-gate

0 0 = 0

0 1 = 0

1 0 = 0

1 1 = 1

This is just a very simple example but I think it shows what I am talking about.  I think it would be interesting

to try and build a set of tables that could be constructed using massive amounts of data.  A person could use

any number of tables just like the and, nand, or, nor, ex-or,  etc....   Maybe the solution does not have to add up

like in conventional math but can be defined with tables.    Just a thought but would be interested in your thoughts

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

bgonçalves
                        Brasil
                        Member #92564
                        June 9, 2010
                        2126 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Hello, jking below the matrix of a lottery perfect 39/5  Hit by 100% 4/1 to first digit of course missing endings. okay  The lottery also could see the lines twisted like the string of DNA (genetic code)  Convert the genetic code to binary, and twisting lines like lorenz attractor For there comes a moment in time the lines cross diagonal form as the string of DNA, the major problem is to see these patterns convert to lotteries

0 0 0 0
                        0 0 0 1
                        0 0 0 2
                        0 0 0 3
                        0 0 1 1
                        0 0 1 2
                        0 0 1 3
                        0 0 2 2
                        0 0 2 3
                        0 0 3 3
                        0 0 3 4
                        0 1 1 1
                        0 1 1 2
                        0 1 1 3
                        0 1 2 2
                        0 1 2 3
                        0 1 3 3
                        0 2 2 2
                        2 2 3 0
                        0 2 3 3
                        0 3 3 3
                        1 1 1 1
                        1 1 1 2
                        1 1 1 3
                        1 1 2 2
                        1 1 2 3
                        1 1 3 3
                        1 2 2 2
                        1 2 2 3
                        1 2 3 3
                        1 3 3 3
                        2 2 2 2
                        2 2 2 3
                        2 2 3 3
                        2 3 3 3
                        3 3 3 3

United States
                          Member #5599
                          July 13, 2004
                          1185 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2012, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi RL/DrSan,

Both approaches look interesting, but my focus is elsewhere right now. Of the articles I posted, the ones on bursty behavior will probably get my attention first.

I see potential in the probabilities they can produce and that it will give some direction on which are the best numbers to bet. So, I will defer any comments on what you have both posted because I simply haven't done my homework enough to feel like I can give you a quality reply.

RL- Thanks again for posting your program. The Double Odd and Double Even filters are simply outstanding.

A member some time back posted an intriguing idea about repeatability. Basically he said that out of the group of numbers picked in the big games, that reliable reduction percentages can be produced by comparing the amount of numbers that can and will repeat over differents windows in time.

Another thought for you is...have you tried applying your filters to other filters? Try a last time picked history, for example, and apply the same concepts you've used on the historical picks. That is currently something that I am plugging away at now. I beleive that applying good reduction techniques to all my sub-filters is as important as applying them to the numbers picked.

Anyway, best of luck to the both of you and I'm sorry I couldn't respond intelligently to your ideas.

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2012, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

JKING

I think I am leaning toward the new math option but not sure that the solution will be considered math.

In math things have to add up so to say but what if we fashioned our lottery analysis similar to a truth

table used in digital electronics.   

Example And-gate

0 0 = 0

0 1 = 0

1 0 = 0

1 1 = 1

This is just a very simple example but I think it shows what I am talking about.  I think it would be interesting

to try and build a set of tables that could be constructed using massive amounts of data.  A person could use

any number of tables just like the and, nand, or, nor, ex-or,  etc....   Maybe the solution does not have to add up

like in conventional math but can be defined with tables.    Just a thought but would be interested in your thoughts

RL

This is an interesting idea RL...but what bursty pattern structures are you looking for??

Take a win four game for example...a bursty pattern contains large structural elements of repeateability so to speak...

these bursts occur in intervals...

how will 0 0=0  help predict and anticipate burstiness??

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2012, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Hello, jking below the matrix of a lottery perfect 39/5  Hit by 100% 4/1 to first digit of course missing endings. okay  The lottery also could see the lines twisted like the string of DNA (genetic code)  Convert the genetic code to binary, and twisting lines like lorenz attractor For there comes a moment in time the lines cross diagonal form as the string of DNA, the major problem is to see these patterns convert to lotteries

0 0 0 0
                              0 0 0 1
                              0 0 0 2
                              0 0 0 3
                              0 0 1 1
                              0 0 1 2
                              0 0 1 3
                              0 0 2 2
                              0 0 2 3
                              0 0 3 3
                              0 0 3 4
                              0 1 1 1
                              0 1 1 2
                              0 1 1 3
                              0 1 2 2
                              0 1 2 3
                              0 1 3 3
                              0 2 2 2
                              2 2 3 0
                              0 2 3 3
                              0 3 3 3
                              1 1 1 1
                              1 1 1 2
                              1 1 1 3
                              1 1 2 2
                              1 1 2 3
                              1 1 3 3
                              1 2 2 2
                              1 2 2 3
                              1 2 3 3
                              1 3 3 3
                              2 2 2 2
                              2 2 2 3
                              2 2 3 3
                              2 3 3 3
                              3 3 3 3

interesting DR San...again...how does this predict and anticipate burstiness??

Page 16 of 44