Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mathematics and the Lottery

652 replies. Last post 8 hours ago by Catpickednumber.

Page 41 of 44
PrintE-mailLink

Can a winning lottery system be created with existing math formulas?

Yes-It's all in the math books. [ 228 ]  [43.02%]
No-Anew math for will have to be created. [ 78 ]  [14.72%]
Math won't beat the lottery regularly. [ 224 ]  [42.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 530 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 54 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2015, 4:39 am - IP Logged

I say yes...............  Let's look at the ILLINOIS LOTTO 6-52 game.

Odds of winning 6 out of 52 (without the Extra Ball) 1 in 20,358,520

Odds of winning 5 out of 52 (without the Extra Ball) 1 in 2,598,960

Odds of winning 4 out of 52 (without the Extra Ball) 1 in 270,725

These odds are based on everything being truly Random.  (Odds of Winning are the same as Chances of Winning in Quick Picks only - you cannot change the odds of a game, but you sure in hell can change & improve your Chances of Winning in a GAME).

Here are some facts: From 01/17/1998 thru 11/30/2015 - there have been a total of 2,422 drawings.  Of these 2,422 drawings, 2,049 have matched 4 out of 52 more than once, or simply put 84.60% of the total drawings. Also, within these 2,049 drawings 68 of them have matched 5 out of 52 more than once (or a total of 34 sets of drawings). How did I come up with these figures, using good old basic math, excel, & formulas.  I compare each drawing against all the other previous drawings looking for matches of (4 or more) of 6 numbers........  Simple math..........  I came up with 518 Groups which are made up of the 2,049 drawings.  To view my results go to -  https://app.box.com/s/wvt9v2mgdgzh7s4kyg4b3fkya19hg931

Good Luck & Best Wishes...........................................

P.S. With only 2,422 drawings, compare my chances of winning within the 518 Groups compared to the posted Odds shown above.

Yes you sure can improve your odds and that is a FACT for sure...every digit you can hit shrinks the total number of combinations  needed to play to get a win...and then it goes from there..

I dont think the player would care if he/she won on a quick pic even if he/she is a number cruncher...I am the same way...I am a number cruncher and would love to win a jackpot off a quick pic...I sure wouldnt throw it in the trash...hahaha

But I must say...I would have alot more satisfaction from a win that I did some serious research on and it led me to the winning ticket!!!!!

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
    Member #5599
    July 13, 2004
    1185 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2015, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Are your predictions based on preferences and beliefs rather than judgements and decisions based on the facts?

FYI

http://phys.org/news/2015-08-cognitive-decision-collapse-quantum-superstate.html?utm_source=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
      Texas
      United States
      Member #150797
      December 31, 2013
      815 Posts
      Posted: December 21, 2015, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Are your predictions based on preferences and beliefs rather than judgements and decisions based on the facts?

FYI

http://phys.org/news/2015-08-cognitive-decision-collapse-quantum-superstate.html?utm_source=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

Excellent article, JKING!  The process they describe of accumulating evidence is akin to the way I play pick 3. 

The problem is, of course, that many of the pieces of evidence are contradictory with others, and that a high probability is no guarantee of success in the short-run.  The article resonated with me, as I am currently going back through my Pick 3 journals trying to assess the bits of information that are most likely to lead to success.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United States
        Member #172564
        January 28, 2016
        34 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2016, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I am curious if anyone has tried some of the pattern recognition methods described by Renato Gianella paper, "The Geometry of Chamce" and if so where have they applied it. I kind of like the idea of exploring bias and using it to your favor because when it comes to the big games it isn't computer generated numbers but more a lottery distilled to its more primal elements.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
          LAS VEGAS
          United States
          Member #47729
          November 22, 2006
          4506 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2016, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I am curious if anyone has tried some of the pattern recognition methods described by Renato Gianella paper, "The Geometry of Chamce" and if so where have they applied it. I kind of like the idea of exploring bias and using it to your favor because when it comes to the big games it isn't computer generated numbers but more a lottery distilled to its more primal elements.

Warm Welcome TO LP Math forum meenzy

Just for fun, L@@K PREDICTIONS VIA GEO-METRICS from ancient & forgotten Book of Numbers:

As a welcoming gift, I put before you special numbers around 360, for your consideration Why are there 360 degrees in a circle? 360 divisible by 18 or 40. Now just for for your own edification, graph any column of numbers or back check keno past performances and see how often#18 #40 appear together, proceed or follow each other. Above the odds, what do you think? This living geo-metric contribution not meant to be filed away but an example to be tried & proven. Look forward to your esteemed feedback.....

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Eddessa_Knight with Light Sun Smiley

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
            Texas
            United States
            Member #150797
            December 31, 2013
            815 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2016, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Gianella's ideas are presented in a more accessible manner on his website LottoRainbow.com.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United States
              Member #172564
              January 28, 2016
              34 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2016, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I appreciate you sharing this. I have ran across it originally sparking my interest in reading his published paper that I mentioned earlier. I am curious if you or anyone have comments on his process or math theories. I would like to see if I can gain insight from it in order to build a theory based method using hard science not to predict numbers (unless I stumble upon a crystal ball of course) but narrow down groups based on most likely patterns as he discusses. I for one agree that in a game of randomness  any number of law breaking  patterns (permutations) can and will pop up in the short run of a statistical sample. The point is I expect that to happen but it is less likely to happen compared to a more probable pattern. Using this knowledge I don't expect to win the very next jackpot, although that would be quite nice. I want to play the averages to increase my likelihood of a win based on the patterns observed in random play only playing a few lines per draw. Another point I would like to make that kind of strays from the path but still is relevant in its own right is I BELIEVE that a game of random play such as the powerball is not run by a computer but rather physical forces manipulated by a HUMAN operator. When a humans loads the machine,mixes the balls with the agitator,calibrates the mechanical proponents, weighs the balls, down to even the timing of the actuator allowing the ball to roll across the friction surface influenced by gravity and any residue that ball comes in contact with all these have an influence on how the final result will vary. When a game is drawn 2x a week every week day in day out little mistskes happen from the grind of the daily routine, kinda like looking both ways before crossing the street but not realy looking with precision. Saying you can calculate this would lead to everyone calling you mad and a fool. I don't think it can be done but I think all these little  factors come together in a big way to play a role in making patterns since it fights against a true perfect machine of randomness that doesn't exist. So my goal is to a. use laws of large number statistics and b. use bias flaws in the system to  help predict patterns of higher probability to play a waiting game as factors change to increase the chance that the patterns do hit drawing conclusions from historical draw data.

Sorry for the long winded post but I am excited to hear your thoughts!

Greenfox's avatar - IMAG01562
                Burnsville
                United States
                Member #107244
                March 4, 2011
                853 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2016, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I believe certain numbers are linked by way of their makeup. I believe they are a part of life that bring about balance and an understanding of balance, that either keeps us going straight to where we need to be headed, or just going around around in a circle.

The shortest point from A to B is a straight line, but sometimes we miscalculate in a decision and get a little off course. Then we have to either recalculate that decision to get back on track, or keep making the wrong decisions and just make that circle bigger and bigger. Making it harder and harder to break thru.

Kind of like the Book of Numbers out of the Bible. (Numbers Summary) Which, to me is a fitting name for this book. They where trying to get into the "Promised Land", (from point A to B). They couldn't get their minds right, ("Faith"), and where sent to wander aimlessly for 40 years. Why 40 years? I dunno. My theory is the "number" its self. 40 With my thinking about numbers, 40, is either 40, 45, or 70, 75. 4 and 7 to me are even/odd opposites. While 0 and 5 are also. According to the Bible, 7 is God's number while 6, or 666, is the devil. I see 40 as (4+0) 4 being the even equivalent of 7 and 45, with 5 being the odd equivalent of 0, (4+5) 9. Giving two choices of either 7 (God and Faith) or 9 (Devil and no Faith) . 6+6+6=18=1+8=9.

Anywho, onto the circle being 360 degrees , the 18 and 40 in that circle and my thoughts on that. 0 is the starting point of numbers. 9 is the beginning of the end of the cycle of whole numbers. After 9, numbers start into a new cycle and become something anew. If we start at 18° and run a straight line down thru the center, it will put us on 198°. So there we have 18 and 198. 18 is 1+8=9 and 198 is 1+9=18 and into 1+8=9. So 9 on both of those. With the 40° and a straight line to the opposite end, it brings us onto 220°. Same thing again, 40 is 4+0=4 and 220 is 2+2=4+0=4.

18 and 40. 18 comes from either 7 or 9. 8-1 and 1+8. 40 is either 6 or 4. (10)0-4=6 and 4+0=4. That gives us two even/odd corresponding numbers. 7 (odd) from the subtraction or negative effect of 18 and 4 (even) from the addition or positive of 40. Then 6 (even) from the subtraction or negative of 40 and 9 (odd) from the addition or positive of 18. If I worded that right. If not, see the red and green cells in the picture with the degrees in between.

Now if you take those same degrees, 18 and 40, and go backwards with them on the circle, or fold the circle in half left to right, leaving the lines where they land, (picture on the right), you'll land on 320° (from the 40°) then run a straight line thru the center you'll land on 140°. Then the 18° backwards puts you on 342° down to 162°. Both equal 9. You still have your 9 showing up in both those additions of degrees but you've gained one on that 4. From 4 to 5. So,,, we have left the 4 behind as the circle comes on around and are headed more towards the 5 coming into play. On the wheel, or circle as it is.

What is odd to me, is the starting point of a circle. It starts like all numbers at 0. But 360° (9) is also set where the 0 is. The circle is infinite. It just keeps going around and around. Going nowhere really. With 9 showing up at even intervals at the start, halfway between the start and middle, at the middle, and halfway between the middle and end and again at the end. Just cutting the circle up into 4 even quarters (1/4) (.250), or halfs (1/2) (.5).

I guess there's a plenty thinking I'm just talking in circles here, ;) ;) but I'm trying to get to a point. LOL.

From what I've seen on these draws, looking at a circle, the date and even/odd opposites all that it kind of makes sense to me. You can take what I've talked about here and convert that info into time, date format information and possibly use it in helping to determine what may be coming up. Just use your clock for example. Time in quarters is 12, 3, 6, 9 then 12 again. Most drawings take place at 3 during the day, or close to that. At night, around but not anywhere that I know of at 12. (Maybe somewhere, but I haven't really checked all of the states.) Cut off time here in NC for the day draws is 2:45, at night is 11:00 with the day draw happening at 3:00 and the evening draw happening at 11:22PM. Why is the evening draw not at 12:00PM? 12:00PM  is the end/beginning of one day to the next. Plus 1+2=3, or 3:00.

Could it be even possible that time and date has anything to do with what happens? I think so. Looking at the draws with the way numbers look.

(Example: 12/8/2015 NC Day Draw Second picture down in my post there. Look over in the right hand side in pink at the numbers in the two questions that start right about center of that picture and compare those numbers to the 0-5-3-9 that hit in that pick draw. That was the 12/8/2015 day draw here. 8-1-0 was the pick 3 for that same day. Now take the date of the draw. 12/8/2015. Month was 12 is 1+2=3. Day is 8. Year is 2015 is 2+0=2+1=3+5=8. That makes 3/8/8. With 3 being the negative opposite of 8? Looking at it that way on 3/8/8 NC drew 8-1-0 and 0-5-3-9 for the day draw. The day draw is closer to half of the day than the end draw of the evening. See that "half" in that statement? As the night grew closer into bringing us to 12/9/2015 and away from the 8th, the evening draw still had a little bit of the 8th still in it. The 12/8/2015 draws for NC had 0-2-5 for the pick 3 and 1-8-6-6 for the pick 4. Pick 3 doesn't look anything like 8 or 9, but that 8 did show up in the pick 4, with two 6's. 6 is the even opposite of 9. And what is 1+8? With that 0-2-5? 1 is the odd opposite of 2. 1 and 5 is? Then again with the pick 4 (1-8-6-6), 1+8=9+6=6+6=12 which =3. 3 being the negative opposite of 8 and the root of 9. Sum up the 12/8/2015 day draw numbers and see what that gives. 9 for the pick 3 and 8 for the pick 4.

Not sure if that will even start to make sense to anyone out here, let alone help. Right or wrong, it's just part of what I use to help and the way my brain processes it. Someone may see what I'm talking about with it though. Look at it as Twilight in a sense. And no, not that silly movie. ;)

You can't steal second and keep your foot on FIRST!!!

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
                When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength”.

-Arnold (Ahnald) Schwarzenegger-

Krypton
                  United States
                  Member #140102
                  March 11, 2013
                  892 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2016, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Numbers are all linked.  I believe we (man) makes them more complex than they really are

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

Lincoln, California
                    United States
                    Member #167130
                    June 27, 2015
                    256 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2016, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

IF = What happens Next

if = If I do This

Then = What happens

So in Excel =if(IF=if,Then I Win,Then I lose)

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                      Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2016, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

IF = What happens Next

if = If I do This

Then = What happens

So in Excel =if(IF=if,Then I Win,Then I lose)

if( condition = true, then ..., else ... )

Lincoln, California
                        United States
                        Member #167130
                        June 27, 2015
                        256 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2016, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

if( condition = true, then ..., else ... )

Mine is funnier

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                          Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2016, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Mine is funnier

You may prefer the VBA to the spreadsheet.

LAS VEGAS
                            United States
                            Member #47729
                            November 22, 2006
                            4506 Posts
                            Posted: April 22, 2016, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I believe certain numbers are linked by way of their makeup. I believe they are a part of life that bring about balance and an understanding of balance, that either keeps us going straight to where we need to be headed, or just going around around in a circle.

The shortest point from A to B is a straight line, but sometimes we miscalculate in a decision and get a little off course. Then we have to either recalculate that decision to get back on track, or keep making the wrong decisions and just make that circle bigger and bigger. Making it harder and harder to break thru.

Kind of like the Book of Numbers out of the Bible. (Numbers Summary) Which, to me is a fitting name for this book. They where trying to get into the "Promised Land", (from point A to B). They couldn't get their minds right, ("Faith"), and where sent to wander aimlessly for 40 years. Why 40 years? I dunno. My theory is the "number" its self. 40 With my thinking about numbers, 40, is either 40, 45, or 70, 75. 4 and 7 to me are even/odd opposites. While 0 and 5 are also. According to the Bible, 7 is God's number while 6, or 666, is the devil. I see 40 as (4+0) 4 being the even equivalent of 7 and 45, with 5 being the odd equivalent of 0, (4+5) 9. Giving two choices of either 7 (God and Faith) or 9 (Devil and no Faith) . 6+6+6=18=1+8=9.

Anywho, onto the circle being 360 degrees , the 18 and 40 in that circle and my thoughts on that. 0 is the starting point of numbers. 9 is the beginning of the end of the cycle of whole numbers. After 9, numbers start into a new cycle and become something anew. If we start at 18° and run a straight line down thru the center, it will put us on 198°. So there we have 18 and 198. 18 is 1+8=9 and 198 is 1+9=18 and into 1+8=9. So 9 on both of those. With the 40° and a straight line to the opposite end, it brings us onto 220°. Same thing again, 40 is 4+0=4 and 220 is 2+2=4+0=4.

18 and 40. 18 comes from either 7 or 9. 8-1 and 1+8. 40 is either 6 or 4. (10)0-4=6 and 4+0=4. That gives us two even/odd corresponding numbers. 7 (odd) from the subtraction or negative effect of 18 and 4 (even) from the addition or positive of 40. Then 6 (even) from the subtraction or negative of 40 and 9 (odd) from the addition or positive of 18. If I worded that right. If not, see the red and green cells in the picture with the degrees in between.

Now if you take those same degrees, 18 and 40, and go backwards with them on the circle, or fold the circle in half left to right, leaving the lines where they land, (picture on the right), you'll land on 320° (from the 40°) then run a straight line thru the center you'll land on 140°. Then the 18° backwards puts you on 342° down to 162°. Both equal 9. You still have your 9 showing up in both those additions of degrees but you've gained one on that 4. From 4 to 5. So,,, we have left the 4 behind as the circle comes on around and are headed more towards the 5 coming into play. On the wheel, or circle as it is.

What is odd to me, is the starting point of a circle. It starts like all numbers at 0. But 360° (9) is also set where the 0 is. The circle is infinite. It just keeps going around and around. Going nowhere really. With 9 showing up at even intervals at the start, halfway between the start and middle, at the middle, and halfway between the middle and end and again at the end. Just cutting the circle up into 4 even quarters (1/4) (.250), or halfs (1/2) (.5).

I guess there's a plenty thinking I'm just talking in circles here, ;) ;) but I'm trying to get to a point. LOL.

From what I've seen on these draws, looking at a circle, the date and even/odd opposites all that it kind of makes sense to me. You can take what I've talked about here and convert that info into time, date format information and possibly use it in helping to determine what may be coming up. Just use your clock for example. Time in quarters is 12, 3, 6, 9 then 12 again. Most drawings take place at 3 during the day, or close to that. At night, around but not anywhere that I know of at 12. (Maybe somewhere, but I haven't really checked all of the states.) Cut off time here in NC for the day draws is 2:45, at night is 11:00 with the day draw happening at 3:00 and the evening draw happening at 11:22PM. Why is the evening draw not at 12:00PM? 12:00PM  is the end/beginning of one day to the next. Plus 1+2=3, or 3:00.

Could it be even possible that time and date has anything to do with what happens? I think so. Looking at the draws with the way numbers look.

(Example: 12/8/2015 NC Day Draw Second picture down in my post there. Look over in the right hand side in pink at the numbers in the two questions that start right about center of that picture and compare those numbers to the 0-5-3-9 that hit in that pick draw. That was the 12/8/2015 day draw here. 8-1-0 was the pick 3 for that same day. Now take the date of the draw. 12/8/2015. Month was 12 is 1+2=3. Day is 8. Year is 2015 is 2+0=2+1=3+5=8. That makes 3/8/8. With 3 being the negative opposite of 8? Looking at it that way on 3/8/8 NC drew 8-1-0 and 0-5-3-9 for the day draw. The day draw is closer to half of the day than the end draw of the evening. See that "half" in that statement? As the night grew closer into bringing us to 12/9/2015 and away from the 8th, the evening draw still had a little bit of the 8th still in it. The 12/8/2015 draws for NC had 0-2-5 for the pick 3 and 1-8-6-6 for the pick 4. Pick 3 doesn't look anything like 8 or 9, but that 8 did show up in the pick 4, with two 6's. 6 is the even opposite of 9. And what is 1+8? With that 0-2-5? 1 is the odd opposite of 2. 1 and 5 is? Then again with the pick 4 (1-8-6-6), 1+8=9+6=6+6=12 which =3. 3 being the negative opposite of 8 and the root of 9. Sum up the 12/8/2015 day draw numbers and see what that gives. 9 for the pick 3 and 8 for the pick 4.

Not sure if that will even start to make sense to anyone out here, let alone help. Right or wrong, it's just part of what I use to help and the way my brain processes it. Someone may see what I'm talking about with it though. Look at it as Twilight in a sense. And no, not that silly movie. ;)

See Ya! Greenfox, et al-

While we are on the Biblical based 'Book of Numbers' I thought I would share another clue & relative to your question about why 40?

Consulting ancient scripture, we find that "40" entomology places it in Ancient *Aramaic lexicon, thus predating Hebrew & Arabic, and meaning literally "MANY" without a connotation as to numerical values & years, thus affecting how "40" should be interpreted & understood.

*One Source: Khaboris Manuscript-

An Ancient Syriac (Western Aramaic dialect) New Testament Scribed in the original language of Jesus of Nazareth

Hope that helps your investigation.....

Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

LAS VEGAS
                              United States
                              Member #47729
                              November 22, 2006
                              4506 Posts
                              Posted: May 7, 2016, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Many thanks JKING  for your constructive & considerate contributions, all spoken like a educated gentleman

Regarding your tag lines:

"Show me a man who isn’t a slave," wrote the Roman philosopher Seneca. "One is a slave to sex, another to money, another to ambition; all are slaves to hope or fear." 

Naturally there is no point of certainty ( Heisenberg Effect) still if the games of chance were unbeatable why do the casinos take vigorous countermeasures (including outright banning) against winning advantage players???

Fortes Fortuna & Harmonia Juvat

Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

Page 41 of 44