Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mathematics and the Lottery

652 replies. Last post 7 hours ago by Catpickednumber.

Page 37 of 44
PrintE-mailLink

Can a winning lottery system be created with existing math formulas?

Yes-It's all in the math books. [ 228 ]  [43.02%]
No-Anew math for will have to be created. [ 78 ]  [14.72%]
Math won't beat the lottery regularly. [ 224 ]  [42.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 530 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 54 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: October 13, 2014, 4:27 am - IP Logged

Probability and game theory have been around for a long time.   When looking to increase our chances

of winning a prize our only options are to find fault with the mechanism used to generate the numbers

and/or play smarter.   All systems should incorporate one or both of these options.  Play as smart as we

can and hope for the best using as much math as possible in our search.

I enjoyed the article but there are some things which sound similar but really have nothing to do with each

other.  The problems faced in the article have workable solutions while predicting random does not. 

Possible vs impossible.  Lottery system need to address that which falls within the realm of possible. 

I am not saying systems can't produce winning sets, I am saying random can't be predicted.

RL

"When looking to increase our chances of winning a prize our only options are to find fault with the mechanism used to generate the numbers and/or play smarter."

Changing the mechanism used to generate the numbers is not an option so you have to play smarter.  Don't wait for someone else to tell you how, playing smarter takes lots of time which leaves little for talking about it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
    Member #59354
    March 13, 2008
    3983 Posts
    Posted: October 13, 2014, 8:15 am - IP Logged

RJ

Not talking about  changing the mechanism.  Some search for non-random patterns

within the draw history hoping they will repeat.   If the drawing machine produces

non-random patterns then it has errors, faults. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: October 13, 2014, 10:00 am - IP Logged

RJ

Not talking about  changing the mechanism.  Some search for non-random patterns

within the draw history hoping they will repeat.   If the drawing machine produces

non-random patterns then it has errors, faults. 

RL

Having errors in the drawing mechanism isn't unheard of, remember when Tennessee first went to computer drawings with its pick3 game?  Knowing there weren't any doubles or triples gave a few players an edge for a while.

Evil Looking       

oklahoma city
        United States
        Member #159893
        October 11, 2014
        12 Posts
        Posted: October 14, 2014, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

i don't think there is a mathematical equation for picking the lotto numbers just luck

Edibs3's avatar - not found.png
          Saint Martinville
          United States
          Member #155819
          May 30, 2014
          283 Posts
          Posted: October 24, 2014, 11:09 am - IP Logged

i don't think there is a mathematical equation for picking the lotto numbers just luck

There are more than just one equation. A lot of the equations won't tell you what to do, but they will at the least tell you what NOT to do.

They are better than luck and will get you closer than luck alone. However, they are still not good enough too offset the bad odds. There are simple tricks one can use on the smaller games to increase their odds by almost double. Ask around.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: November 3, 2014, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

There are more than just one equation. A lot of the equations won't tell you what to do, but they will at the least tell you what NOT to do.

They are better than luck and will get you closer than luck alone. However, they are still not good enough too offset the bad odds. There are simple tricks one can use on the smaller games to increase their odds by almost double. Ask around.

Is that a fact or are you just filling up posting space with your thoughts?

Evil Looking       

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
              Member #5599
              July 13, 2004
              1185 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2014, 11:49 am - IP Logged

FYI

A new pattern finding method.

http://phys.org/news/2014-12-simple-patterns-complex-world.html

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

bigguy5's avatar - peace
                charlotte.n.c
                United States
                Member #37585
                April 17, 2006
                365 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2014, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Is that a fact or are you just filling up posting space with your thoughts?

a book  call  "  professor  hitts "   is  the  only    way  to  have  a chance of  hitting  the  number,    (  old time).

Darrington,WA
                  United States
                  Member #163093
                  January 19, 2015
                  1 Posts
                  Posted: January 19, 2015, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I am currently using a method that I developed using certain time frames on the calendar to detect "patterns".  I have found that to accurately guess at least 3 numbers right on the WA state lotto, that I have to review the numbers chosen and find where certain numbers are drawn together using a calendar.  It usually works and I usually have at least 5, if not all the numbers chosen within my lotto picks. The only problem is to combine them accurately enough to score a big win.  I also believe that people have a higher chance at winning if they pick a certain pool of numbers and use those every to every other time. Probability tells us that if you had all the winning nunmbers but in varying combos on your ticket, then the likelhood of that happening consecutively, is very small.  Right now I am choosing a set of numbers for tonights drawing and will post my picks in predictions before 6 tonight. Good luck everyone!

United States
                    Member #5599
                    July 13, 2004
                    1185 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2015, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

FYI,

Developing a system through optimization.

http://phys.org/news/2015-01-analysis-yields-optimization-algorithms-problems.html?utm_source=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

United States
                      Member #5599
                      July 13, 2004
                      1185 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2015, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Was your post purely informational, or were you trying to make a point?

bgonçalves
                        Brasil
                        Member #92564
                        June 9, 2010
                        2125 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2015, 5:27 am - IP Logged

hello jing=post purely informational

bgonçalves
                          Brasil
                          Member #92564
                          June 9, 2010
                          2125 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2015, 7:00 am - IP Logged

there is a better and different algorithm pronounced in terms of probability. Perhaps the prognoses for the lottery should not be based on probability and statistics, but in terms of good and predictable deterministic algorithms. It may be that something is still hidden in the binary universe of these numbers, but determining this algorithm will be as cruel as the battle

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
                            Member #146028
                            August 22, 2013
                            842 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2015, 8:01 am - IP Logged

there is a better and different algorithm pronounced in terms of probability. Perhaps the prognoses for the lottery should not be based on probability and statistics, but in terms of good and predictable deterministic algorithms. It may be that something is still hidden in the binary universe of these numbers, but determining this algorithm will be as cruel as the battle

Not so very long ago nobody ever thought that it was possible to develop an algorithm based on the breakdown of the range of numbers into the binary code. Perhaps the record will eventually show that math professor, Joan Ginther, accomplished this in her winning strategy in conquering and defeating the Jackpot Games.

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

Page 37 of 44