Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mathematics and the Lottery

646 replies. Last post 23 days ago by SEA-Pick3.

Page 35 of 44
PrintE-mailLink

Can a winning lottery system be created with existing math formulas?

Yes-It's all in the math books. [ 228 ]  [43.02%]
No-Anew math for will have to be created. [ 78 ]  [14.72%]
Math won't beat the lottery regularly. [ 224 ]  [42.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 530 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 54 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2014, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

That sounds good RJOh. I just wrote a small database program that uses SQLite to study and use SQL.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2014, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

That sounds good RJOh. I just wrote a small database program that uses SQLite to study and use SQL.

I've got to read a lot farther than chapter two before I start learning about SQLite.  The only programs I've written so far are copies of the ones in the book.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Economy class
      Belgium
      Member #123700
      February 27, 2012
      4035 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2014, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

You will find code snippets on Internet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2014, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

You will find code snippets on Internet.

Downloaded a copy of QB64 since it's an adaptation of QBasic which I thought was similar to QuickBasic.  I complied all my GWBasic programs using a QuickBasic compiler after saving them in the text mode with no changes so I was thinking I could recompile them using the QB64 compiler but I'm finding QBasic wasn't as close to QuickBasic as I thought but going that way might save me a lot of typing, all I have to do in remove some line numbers and and change a few statements of fit the syntax of QBasic.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2014, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

There is a free addon for firefox called sqlite manager. It also imports and exports files. It looks fine.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2014, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Downloaded a copy of QB64 since it's an adaptation of QBasic which I thought was similar to QuickBasic.  I complied all my GWBasic programs using a QuickBasic compiler after saving them in the text mode with no changes so I was thinking I could recompile them using the QB64 compiler but I'm finding QBasic wasn't as close to QuickBasic as I thought but going that way might save me a lot of typing, all I have to do in remove some line numbers and and change a few statements of fit the syntax of QBasic.

Down loaded a copy of JustBasic and when I changed the inkey$ statements to inputs instead, turn around the row and column positions and eliminate the color statements using its editor, l have a program that ran pretty much like the ODDS program I wrote in GWBasic even with the line numbers.  Some of my other programs are larger with more complex statements but if their syntex can be changed as easily I may be getting a registered copy of Liberty Basic

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Down loaded a copy of JustBasic and when I changed the inkey$ statements to inputs instead, turn around the row and column positions and eliminate the color statements using its editor, l have a program that ran pretty much like the ODDS program I wrote in GWBasic even with the line numbers.  Some of my other programs are larger with more complex statements but if their syntex can be changed as easily I may be getting a registered copy of Liberty Basic

From your several posts, you seem to be on a learning curve with a new programming language.  Allow me to suggest you take a different path. 

Excel uses Basic.   Microsoft calls their version Visual Basic.  Now would be a good time to seriously consider switching to Excel.  This spreadsheet allows you to do so much more and it will never "go out of date".  Microsoft will see to that.  And there are a few members here willing to help you write whatever code you need to accomplish a task.

The investment would be well worth your time.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

From your several posts, you seem to be on a learning curve with a new programming language.  Allow me to suggest you take a different path. 

Excel uses Basic.   Microsoft calls their version Visual Basic.  Now would be a good time to seriously consider switching to Excel.  This spreadsheet allows you to do so much more and it will never "go out of date".  Microsoft will see to that.  And there are a few members here willing to help you write whatever code you need to accomplish a task.

The investment would be well worth your time.

If all other fails I might try that. 

Before I retired the company I worked for offered to pay for any of its employees to attended the local college to take a course in Excel.

Even if I don't end up using one of the languages I'm looking at, it will be interesting to know what my options are.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: July 28, 2014, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprise nothing has been done to change its input statement to act like inputs statements in other languages.  While delete can remove characters on the screen all the characters are  kept in the string the computer uses which can be confusing until you know about it.  This one bug may cause me to look else where for a replacement language for GWBasic.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2014, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprise nothing has been done to change its input statement to act like inputs statements in other languages.  While delete can remove characters on the screen all the characters are  kept in the string the computer uses which can be confusing until you know about it.  This one bug may cause me to look else where for a replacement language for GWBasic.

I think I've found what I've been looking for --- BBC Basic.  I think I'm going to like it better than Liberty Basic.  It looks like I can do everything I did with GWBasic and much much more and the learning curve is short since all the good things I learned with GWBasic still apply.

Evil Looking       

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1272 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2014, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I think I've found what I've been looking for --- BBC Basic.  I think I'm going to like it better than Liberty Basic.  It looks like I can do everything I did with GWBasic and much much more and the learning curve is short since all the good things I learned with GWBasic still apply.

BBC Basic is awesome. I learned that in the middle of the 80s. I owned an Acorn Electron.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19825 Posts
                        Posted: August 18, 2014, 11:29 am - IP Logged

BBC Basic is awesome. I learned that in the middle of the 80s. I owned an Acorn Electron.

That Russell guy has developed versions for other computer too so you're all set if you ever want to use your programs on a Windows Machine.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2014, 4:52 am - IP Logged

You know basic for so many years, you should be excellent professionals by now.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2014, 9:33 am - IP Logged

You know basic for so many years, you should be excellent professionals by now.

Not really, it's just I'm surprised there are so many versions of BASIC still supported for the newer OS.  There's even a version for Android machines.

Evil Looking       

Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2014, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Not really, it's just I'm surprised there are so many versions of BASIC still supported for the newer OS.  There's even a version for Android machines.

What is popular is supported. C# and java are similar, and use a lot of curly and square brackets. The libraries are it.

Page 35 of 44