Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weak Powerball Sales?

Topic closed. 147 replies. Last post 5 years ago by lottoguru$-!624.

Page 3 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3300 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2012, 7:21 am - IP Logged

yeah and in the old days you had a choise to pay the $1 mutliplier.

so 200k, or 10k, for $1. or multi for a possible $1M and $50k.

now you pay the extra $1, ie $2 total. and get $1M or $10k ffor 4+pb. you need a 3rd $1 to go upto $40k!

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2012, 7:42 am - IP Logged

yeah and in the old days you had a choise to pay the $1 mutliplier.

so 200k, or 10k, for $1. or multi for a possible $1M and $50k.

now you pay the extra $1, ie $2 total. and get $1M or $10k ffor 4+pb. you need a 3rd $1 to go upto $40k!

Absolutely correct savagegoose!, would you consider becoming a spokesperson for Powerball, a little radio, TV gig perhaps?   LOL

United States
      Member #123134
      February 14, 2012
      55 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2012, 11:00 am - IP Logged

LOL...

Tell that to the guy bragging about selling more gas.

Last year for a $60 million jackpot Texas had sales of $25,905,601, not including the powerplay.

Same jackpot this year Texas sold $32,766,344, not including the powerplay.

Last year there were 25,905,601 tickets were sold.

This year 16,383,172 tickets were sold.

About 9000000 less tickets sold. 9000000 lost sales. 9000000 million less customers.

Nope. Sales are not up. The price increase just fools you. Just ask the guy who thinks he's selling more gas because he has more money in the cash register.

You can't just make numbers up.

Powerball sales in Texas last calendar year were $140m.  You mean to tell me that 25% of sales came from one $60m jackpot.  Impossible.

The latest roll from $50-$60m generates $1.9m in sales.  In 2011, similar rolls had sales of $1.2m, $1.3m, $1.2m and $1.3m.  Average sales of $1.25m to $1.9m is a 50% increase in sales.

The margin on a draw game like Powerball is about 50%.  50% of $1.9m is greater than 50% of $1.2m.  Losing customers and selling less tickets doesn't matter.  With margins that don't change, more sales equals more profit.

How is more money in the register not selling more gas?  You're telling me that if he sells a million gallons at $0.01, he's better off than selling one gallon at a million dollars? 

Source for Sales Data: Texas Lottery Commission Website: "Weekly Sales Summary" under "Sales and Revenue"

United States
        Member #123134
        February 14, 2012
        55 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2012, 11:12 am - IP Logged

No, I'm one of the guys who don't believe you have a better chance to win.

You tell me, did cutting the number of bonus balls help you get the first 5 necessary to make the bonus ball worth something?

The odds of picking 5 of 59 didn't change, did it?

Are their more winners? Newp.

On December 14, 2011 when the jp was $78 million there was 684,325 winning tickets.

On January 18, 2012 when the jackpot was $80 million there were 500,911 winning tickets. Wouldn't you think there would be more winners like Powerball claimed when they increased the price? Or were they *cough-cough* just trying to sell their Pee-Wee's big adventure game?

I may not be able to rub two brain cells together but you haven't figured out, you have the exact same odds of winning 1 million now as you did before the price increase. 

Be sure to send me a personal 'you're stupid' message when you win.

You have the exact same odds to match the first five, yes.  The difference is that before, it was $200k, and now it's $1m.  You do not have the same odds as winning $1m.  You have the same odds as matching the first five numbers and winning the second prize  You don't have a better chance to win, but your prize is five times greater.  Not better odds, but a better payout.

With less Powerball options, however, the odds are better overall.  Odds of winning any prize went from 1:35 to 1:32, also an improvement.

Literally everything that you have written in this thread has been inaccurate, illogical or misguided.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1689 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2012, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Absolutely correct savagegoose!, would you consider becoming a spokesperson for Powerball, a little radio, TV gig perhaps?   LOL

Apparently my Engrish not so good at 3AM. Thanks for clearing up what I meant about the multiplier. What you say is true.

Under the old game you could pay $2 and win up to $50K with a 4+1 and the multiplier. Today you would pay $3 and get 40K with a 4+1.

And the odds of getting the 3+0 or 4+0 or 5+0 win are the same.

My point: Less winners winning less money.

Look at the 2/4/2012 drawing: Jackpot $200 million, 1,250,765 winning tickets.

Go back to 6/1/2011: Jackpot $200 million, 1,498,086 winning tickets.

In every case, using side by side comparison (of comparable jackpots) from before and after the matrix change, there are fewer winners and less overall prize money paid out.

What Powerball has sold is the "Who wants more money?" greed idea knowing that, as the commercial says, almost 100% of us want more money, and the greedy will cling to the hope and dream of obtaining it against all odds.

If you printed ever possible combination and stacked them neatly, like printer paper, there would be one winner in a stack of paper 11 miles high.

Your job, Mr. Phelps, is to reach in that 11 mile stack and grab the one winner.

Dallas, Texas
            United States
            Member #4549
            May 2, 2004
            1689 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2012, 11:56 am - IP Logged

You can't just make numbers up.

Powerball sales in Texas last calendar year were $140m.  You mean to tell me that 25% of sales came from one $60m jackpot.  Impossible.

The latest roll from $50-$60m generates $1.9m in sales.  In 2011, similar rolls had sales of $1.2m, $1.3m, $1.2m and $1.3m.  Average sales of $1.25m to $1.9m is a 50% increase in sales.

The margin on a draw game like Powerball is about 50%.  50% of $1.9m is greater than 50% of $1.2m.  Losing customers and selling less tickets doesn't matter.  With margins that don't change, more sales equals more profit.

How is more money in the register not selling more gas?  You're telling me that if he sells a million gallons at $0.01, he's better off than selling one gallon at a million dollars? 

Source for Sales Data: Texas Lottery Commission Website: "Weekly Sales Summary" under "Sales and Revenue"

Please do some research. And talk to the people who sell gas.

They will tell you selling 100 gallons of gas at $3.79 means $379. Selling 100 gallons of gas at $3.29 means $329.

Have you sold more gas?

Work it out on your calculator if necessary.  100 gallons comes to......oh......looks like 100 gallons O_o?!?

Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1689 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

You have the exact same odds to match the first five, yes.  The difference is that before, it was $200k, and now it's $1m.  You do not have the same odds as winning $1m.  You have the same odds as matching the first five numbers and winning the second prize  You don't have a better chance to win, but your prize is five times greater.  Not better odds, but a better payout.

With less Powerball options, however, the odds are better overall.  Odds of winning any prize went from 1:35 to 1:32, also an improvement.

Literally everything that you have written in this thread has been inaccurate, illogical or misguided.

Really?

With your apparent brilliance I'm surprised you haven't already pulled the winning ticket out of the 11 mile high stack.

(Your GREED is showing).

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Apparently my Engrish not so good at 3AM. Thanks for clearing up what I meant about the multiplier. What you say is true.

Under the old game you could pay $2 and win up to $50K with a 4+1 and the multiplier. Today you would pay $3 and get 40K with a 4+1.

And the odds of getting the 3+0 or 4+0 or 5+0 win are the same.

My point: Less winners winning less money.

Look at the 2/4/2012 drawing: Jackpot $200 million, 1,250,765 winning tickets.

Go back to 6/1/2011: Jackpot $200 million, 1,498,086 winning tickets.

In every case, using side by side comparison (of comparable jackpots) from before and after the matrix change, there are fewer winners and less overall prize money paid out.

What Powerball has sold is the "Who wants more money?" greed idea knowing that, as the commercial says, almost 100% of us want more money, and the greedy will cling to the hope and dream of obtaining it against all odds.

If you printed ever possible combination and stacked them neatly, like printer paper, there would be one winner in a stack of paper 11 miles high.

Your job, Mr. Phelps, is to reach in that 11 mile stack and grab the one winner.

Just speaking for myself garyo, I obviously would love to win the elusive jackpot, but I'm also gunning also for that second prize of a cool $1,000,000

As you indicated the odd's have not changed for getting the first 5 white balls. So to kick in an extra buck to get a "guaranteed" $1 Mill. if you score all

white balls is a great deal to me! Not to toot my horn, but I hit all 5 white balls already in "07" under the old Powerrball, to receive $200K.

Had I Power played I would have doubled that. But now it's like getting a multiplier of 5 automatically. MM still has their "Megaplier", which

multiplies only 2-5 times the lower tier prizes.

Anyhow that's my take on it, so I'll always be in the game.   Party

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                  NYC
                  United States
                  Member #117984
                  October 19, 2011
                  1843 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I am kinda disappointed that the sales are lagging. Honestly, they should have never tampered with the Powerball.

Dallas, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #4549
                    May 2, 2004
                    1689 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Just speaking for myself garyo, I obviously would love to win the elusive jackpot, but I'm also gunning also for that second prize of a cool $1,000,000

As you indicated the odd's have not changed for getting the first 5 white balls. So to kick in an extra buck to get a "guaranteed" $1 Mill. if you score all

white balls is a great deal to me! Not to toot my horn, but I hit all 5 white balls already in "07" under the old Powerrball, to receive $200K.

Had I Power played I would have doubled that. But now it's like getting a multiplier of 5 automatically. MM still has their "Megaplier", which

multiplies only 2-5 times the lower tier prizes.

Anyhow that's my take on it, so I'll always be in the game.   Party

All is good. I truly hope you win.

Personally I think people should be aware of what they are buying. And that is my intent.

Nothing more.

Good Luck and Many Many Blessings!

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I am kinda disappointed that the sales are lagging. Honestly, they should have never tampered with the Powerball.

I Agree!      Crying

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

All is good. I truly hope you win.

Personally I think people should be aware of what they are buying. And that is my intent.

Nothing more.

Good Luck and Many Many Blessings!

Thanks for the insight. Good luck to you as well my friend.!   Lep

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Well it's off to work I go! See you guy's again around 8:00 PM EST      See Ya!   Puke

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                            NYC
                            United States
                            Member #117984
                            October 19, 2011
                            1843 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Well it's off to work I go! See you guy's again around 8:00 PM EST      See Ya!   Puke

Have a great day bro!

United States
                              Member #123134
                              February 14, 2012
                              55 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Please do some research. And talk to the people who sell gas.

They will tell you selling 100 gallons of gas at $3.79 means $379. Selling 100 gallons of gas at $3.29 means $329.

Have you sold more gas?

Work it out on your calculator if necessary.  100 gallons comes to......oh......looks like 100 gallons O_o?!?

You haven't sold more gas, but your sales are higher.  If the profit margins are the same, the increase in price will result in a similar increase in profit.

Let me break if down for your Barney-style:

Profit = (# of Products Sold X Sale Price of Products Sold) - (# of Products Sold X Cost of Products Sold)

Let's take 100 $1 PB tickets and 50 $2 PB tickets:

(100 X $1) - (100 X $0.50) = $50 Profit

(50 X $2) - (50 X $1) = $50 Profit

You sell half the tickets, but make the same amount of money.  Therefore, since overall sales for Powerball are higher, it is more profitable and, therefore, successful from the Lottery's perspective.

Page 3 of 10