Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weak Powerball Sales?

Topic closed. 147 replies. Last post 5 years ago by lottoguru$-!624.

Page 6 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10352 Posts
Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Rudd,

Where those article put up before the recent big jackpot? That's something to consider.

Here's one of the "Powerball ticket sales strengthen despit price hike" hits:

An increase in Powerball ticket prices doesn’t seem to be enough to discourage area players from taking chances to win millions.

Random checks by the News-Press this week showed that increasing Powerball tickets from $1 to $2 apiece may actually be helping sales, at least in dollar terms. Two retailers reported strong sales in the wake of the Jan. 15 price hike, while a third vendor said the increase is hurting the game at her establishment.

“It’s been up compared to the last four weeks,” said Sharif Nazar, manager of the K Highway Food Mart.

One recent week witnessed $213 in ticket sales at the shop, with sales reaching $233 the week before the increase. Mr. Nazar said $396 in tickets were sold in the first 1½ weeks of the change. But the food mart has not noticed a consequent upsurge in the number of Powerball customers.

However, Hap’s Place owner Connie Wertin said interest in Powerball at her business has fallen off lately.

“People say they’re not going to pay the extra $1,” Ms. Wertin said.

The decreased activity is even affecting combination sales at the business, with two such efforts completely giving up on the opportunity. Another customer who routinely bought a large sum of Powerball tickets at Hap’s has also quit the habit there, Ms. Wertin said.

Kulwinder S. Sohal, manager of Jesse’s Last Stop, said the financial aspect of Powerball ticket sales appears healthier now, although the same number of tickets is still being sold.

“It’s gone up,” he said. “I think nobody’s complaining about it. People are still buying.”

The Missouri Lottery, which operates Powerball in the state for the Multi-State Lottery Association, has reported sales as rising in the first nine days of $2 tickets. Lottery spokeswoman Wendy Baker said Powerball sales totaled slightly more than $2.6 million for the period. Ticket revenues were barely under $1.5 million for the previous nine days, she added, yet amounted to just over $1.9 million for a comparable nine-day period in mid-January 2011.

Powerball tickets increased as a means of differentiating the game from Mega Millions, another big-money, multistate lottery game that costs $1 per ticket. Both games are sold in 42 states, plus the U.S. Virgin Islands and Washington, D.C.

All profits from Powerball are retained by the individual state lotteries and used to fund projects approved by each legislature. In Missouri, a portion of the proceeds benefits elementary, secondary and higher education programs.

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/30320420/detail.html

So in this case the increase is at one convenience store in St. Joseph, MO.

"One recent week witnessed $213 in ticket sales at the shop, with sales reaching $233 the week before the increase. Mr. Nazar said $396 in tickets were sold in the first 1½ weeks of the change. But the food mart has not noticed a consequent upsurge in the number of Powerball customers.'

Makes me wonder how many of the other 'ticket sales increase' links toy found are similar. And don't forget some of these article are pure hype leaked by the lotteries to the media.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #123134
    February 14, 2012
    55 Posts
    Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Lib Alert.

How does that even apply?  Resorting to name calling isn't particularly effective during discussions.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

How does that even apply?  Resorting to name calling isn't particularly effective during discussions.

It's always best to have everything on the table.

Wouldn't you agree?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #123134
        February 14, 2012
        55 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

The lotteries don't need to hype anything.  The numbers speak for themselves.  Plus, they're probably too busy enjoying the higher sales and profits for education, veterans, general fund, etc. while the players enjoy larger jackpot growth, higher 2nd place prizes, etc.

United States
          Member #123134
          February 14, 2012
          55 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

It's always best to have everything on the table.

Wouldn't you agree?

Sure. 

I'm a libertarian.

How does that apply?

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
            Dallas, Texas
            United States
            Member #4549
            May 2, 2004
            1713 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

Powerball does not make a product.  Its only concern is with the total amount of dollars generated by selling little pieces of paper with numbers on them.  The profit for Powerball is roughly 50% of every dollar that they bring in.  It doesn't matter how many pieces of paper they sell.  It just matter how many dollars they have at the end of the day.  So if total dollar sales are up 20%, total sales are up 20%. 

If they sold one ticket for a $1 billion (and made $500 million profit) and previously sold ten tickets for $1 each (and made a $5 profit), would you say that sales are DOWN because they sold one versus ten tickets?  No.  You'd say that they were UP because sales were $999,999,990 higher and profit was $499,999,995 higher.

The Alamo Strategy is strong in this one Yoda!!!!!

Bottom line thinking is destroying the American economy.

At the end of the day selling pieces of paper doesn't produce anything, doesn't add to the GNP, and eventually catches up with you. Ask Germany. You think those guys printed 50,000,000 marc bills because they enjoyed big numbers?

Ticket sales are down much like your reading comprehension. "Ticket Sales Strong" does not mean tickets sales are up; in politically correct circles it means "it could be worse."

Coming from Powerball it means, "we're not telling."

Quick tip in ADVERTISING:

"I'm not going to tell you the bad things about my product. I'm not going to answer your questions straight out. In fact, I'm only going to tell you as much as I think you need to know to get you to buy my product."

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Sure. 

I'm a libertarian.

How does that apply?

It can frequently save wasted breath.

Some men you just can't reach.

Libs would fall under that category.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #123134
                February 14, 2012
                55 Posts
                Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

The Alamo Strategy is strong in this one Yoda!!!!!

Bottom line thinking is destroying the American economy.

At the end of the day selling pieces of paper doesn't produce anything, doesn't add to the GNP, and eventually catches up with you. Ask Germany. You think those guys printed 50,000,000 marc bills because they enjoyed big numbers?

Ticket sales are down much like your reading comprehension. "Ticket Sales Strong" does not mean tickets sales are up; in politically correct circles it means "it could be worse."

Coming from Powerball it means, "we're not telling."

Quick tip in ADVERTISING:

"I'm not going to tell you the bad things about my product. I'm not going to answer your questions straight out. In fact, I'm only going to tell you as much as I think you need to know to get you to buy my product."

I give up.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #99032
                  October 18, 2010
                  1439 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

The first sentence of the post is wrong.

Actually, there is such a thing as a free lunch. We have it here in this country. And the free lunchers are starting to overwhelm those who provide the free lunch.

What there is "no such thing as" is a sustainable free lunch.

That's what the country of Greece is learning the hard way right now.

And it's the same course your President has plotted for us.

The rest of the post seems plausible.

I'll stand by it.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, just a lunch that somebody else is paying for.  (Either the tax payer, or future generations)

Same idea, of course.

And the Powerball will grow faster once the MM is won, or it goes much higher than MM.  I think the sales are slow b/c the MM is higher, has a lower price and the same odds.  Given a choice between the two, most people will play MM if the JP is the same.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #99032
                    October 18, 2010
                    1439 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

IDK what's wrong with people.  I haven't actually looked up the sales, but if there were 1,000,000 tickets sold at 1 dollar each, and now there's 600,000 sold at 2 dollars each, then total profits are likely to have increased.  (There's a chance the Lottery gets unlucky with lots of 1 million dollar prizes, or the JP gets one before they've been able to roll it over, causing them to have to pay off the JP out of pocket)  (So this is assuming that Ruud is right, that total volume of sales are down less than 50%, meaning profits have risen)

Still overall, that would mean that profits are up, even if total volume of sales are down.  And profits are usually what's important, right?

I think they made the right move.  When it comes down to it, people will probably play MM more while waiting for Powerball to rise, and then switch over when Powerball is high enough for them.  When most Lottery players see a 250 million dollar JP, they will be willing to fork over 2 dollars, or enough money for a few tickets.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I give up.

Ruud, millions of people have simply given up looking for a job and the government calls that "lower unemployment".   Yay! Hurray!

Yay?  What?

--Edmund Burke

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                        Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1713 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Ruud, millions of people have simply given up looking for a job and the government calls that "lower unemployment".   Yay! Hurray!

Yay?  What?

Yep. Millions of Americans have given up looking for a pocket comb with "Made in America" stamped on it.

And the government calls that progress because Americans can't make a pocket comb cheap enough to sell anywhere in the world!

We are a world power who can't make pocket combs! We ROCK!

United States
                          Member #123134
                          February 14, 2012
                          55 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

The fact that you two are now referring to liberals, unemployment, the Alamo and pocket combs makes me very comfortable that I made all of the points necessary to prove you both wrong.  It's been fun.  I'm off this thread given the ridiculous nature of the latest comments.  Until next time...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2012, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

IDK what's wrong with people.  I haven't actually looked up the sales, but if there were 1,000,000 tickets sold at 1 dollar each, and now there's 600,000 sold at 2 dollars each, then total profits are likely to have increased.  (There's a chance the Lottery gets unlucky with lots of 1 million dollar prizes, or the JP gets one before they've been able to roll it over, causing them to have to pay off the JP out of pocket)  (So this is assuming that Ruud is right, that total volume of sales are down less than 50%, meaning profits have risen)

Still overall, that would mean that profits are up, even if total volume of sales are down.  And profits are usually what's important, right?

I think they made the right move.  When it comes down to it, people will probably play MM more while waiting for Powerball to rise, and then switch over when Powerball is high enough for them.  When most Lottery players see a 250 million dollar JP, they will be willing to fork over 2 dollars, or enough money for a few tickets.

Exactamundo, Profits are up on lower sales of Powerball Tickets. 

The geeks can put any spin they want on it, them's the facts.

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10352 Posts
                              Posted: February 25, 2012, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Rudd,

Do you honestly believe the lotteries don't need to hype anything?

How about PB releaasing the Brad Duke story seven years after the fact? Somone here on the board from Idaho e en mentioned he'd be at a store selling tickets. Not hype? Dream on.

Consider the raffles. The way Illinois runs theirs, it's 500,000 tickets sold to produce 409 winners, or in other words, 500,000 tickets, 409 winners, and 499, 591 losers. But theyll never point that out. They promote it as 'best odds' when in fact it's a guaranteed $5M, pure gravy.

If you really believe the "dollars for education" approach and don't see it as merely a gimmick you are quite naive. Just read a couple of recent posts on this board. The dollars go into the school system on one end and are taken out via voodoo accounting on another.

Pick any state with a lottery and do the demographics on teacher layofffs, the need for school funding, etc.... and ask yourself where the lottery bucks went.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Page 6 of 10