Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying More Tickets Does Not Increase Your Odds.

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 13 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
Michigan
United States
Member #22395
September 24, 2005
1583 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2012, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Truecritic - that youtube "The real meaning of MPH" had me laughing till i cried.  I shared it with family and friends and my dh commented that 'he knew what it felt like to be a trophy spouse, and to be appreciated for looks instead of brains' **lol** - that really had everyone laughing as he huffed and puffed about not being appreciated in his own time.  Green laugh

First of all, your hubby is absolutely right! ROFL

And to be fair, Chelsea, in her own way came so close with her original answer of 58 minutes.  I am baffled as to how she did that!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

This post was/is very interesting.   I love seeing the different people share there way of showing how they look at the odds.

The Goal is to win the 5 white balls and 1 MM right.. Regardless if you had to split it...Right..

I like looking at it like this.

Let's say each combination is bought and each single ticket (Line) is placed in a large spinning cage..

Now one line will be drawn from the cage.   If you bought one ticket you have 1:(total amount of combos).

Now to increase your odds, you would want to add more lines in your favor.   So buying 10 would give you 9 additional chances. 

So I say.. buying more increases your odds.

Note: Every combination drawn on Tuesday and Friday nights are winning numbers.  However, it does not mean someone bought those winning numbers. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
      Lavender Rocket

United States
      Member #124616
      March 16, 2012
      2642 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

BUYING MORE TICKETS DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS.

"Neither does going in as a group. if you buy 1 ticket and hypothetically it's 1:5billion. if you buy 5, it is no longer 1:5billion, you've added 5 tickets to the equation. statistically speaking, you gain no advantage over buying more than one ticket.

But if there are 100 people playing and you are one of them (99+1), that isn't the same combination if you buy two tickets, because now there are 101 people (99+2). with the large numbers of people playing, most people don't have the cash to purchase all combinations of the lottery, so really statistically you have no better chance of winning than if you just bought one. if you buy more, you also increase the possibility that you are going to share winnings. if you also buy more, you also have the chance of losing more. so figure in all three factors and i'll stick with buying just one lottery ticket.

Oh, and the odds of winning the jackpot doesn't change regardless of the number of people. your odds remain the same for every ticket that you have. it's not a cumulative thing. for example, every ticket you possess for Powerball has the same odds: 1 in 175,223,510 no matter how many people play. The Mega Millions odds are 1 in 175,711,536 for each ticket you hold regardless of how many people play. each of your tickets represents a person playing."

Insight from a 5 year old:  "yes it does Gramma... if you buy 0 you cant win and if you buy 1 you can.  So buying more (than 0) helps"  -- this was said while grabbing the ENTIRE plate of choco-chip cookies I just baked...

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2012, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Insight from a 5 year old:  "yes it does Gramma... if you buy 0 you cant win and if you buy 1 you can.  So buying more (than 0) helps"  -- this was said while grabbing the ENTIRE plate of choco-chip cookies I just baked...

Smart kid.. Take it all and leave nothing to chance.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11975 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2012, 5:56 am - IP Logged

BUYING MORE TICKETS DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS.

"Neither does going in as a group. if you buy 1 ticket and hypothetically it's 1:5billion. if you buy 5, it is no longer 1:5billion, you've added 5 tickets to the equation. statistically speaking, you gain no advantage over buying more than one ticket.

But if there are 100 people playing and you are one of them (99+1), that isn't the same combination if you buy two tickets, because now there are 101 people (99+2). with the large numbers of people playing, most people don't have the cash to purchase all combinations of the lottery, so really statistically you have no better chance of winning than if you just bought one. if you buy more, you also increase the possibility that you are going to share winnings. if you also buy more, you also have the chance of losing more. so figure in all three factors and i'll stick with buying just one lottery ticket.

Oh, and the odds of winning the jackpot doesn't change regardless of the number of people. your odds remain the same for every ticket that you have. it's not a cumulative thing. for example, every ticket you possess for Powerball has the same odds: 1 in 175,223,510 no matter how many people play. The Mega Millions odds are 1 in 175,711,536 for each ticket you hold regardless of how many people play. each of your tickets represents a person playing."

PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS A WIN/LOSE SITUATION NO MATTER HOW MANY TICKETS WE BUY.

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE= BUYING 1 LOTTERY TICKET GIVES YOU A 50/50 CHANCE OF WINNING.

FOR EXAMPLE MEGA MILLIONS.

Yes you can increase your chances of winning by buying more tickets, but every single ticket will go against the Odds of 1 in 175,711,536.

Page 13 of 13