Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying More Tickets Does Not Increase Your Odds.

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

It increases the odds, but not much. Depending on what game:

one ticket- 175 mill to 1

50 tickets  175 mill to 50

This is why they suggest you play 50$ at one time, rather then over several weeks. Of course i don't listen.

If that were true and you played 5,000 tickets then the ods would be 35,000 to one.

The whole concept is a fairy tale.

Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one.

The theory above would only work if more than one winning set of numbers were drawn.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Hey KY, I think referring to any percentage of our LP members as "dumbest of people" was a pretty "dumb" remark on your part.

Even Einstein had humility and respect for those not as gifted as he. If you show respect you'll receive in return. In your case you

can't expect much more than contempt from others reading your posts.  No No

What's your take on the people posting here? I think they mirror the general population. Most people are near the middle of the curve, and a few are a bit closer to one end or the other.

I made it as simple as the choice between odd an even, but some people still disagree that buying 2 tickets makes you twice as likely to win as buying 1 ticket.  It's not a matter of opinion, and it's not advanced math. 1*2 =2., and 2 in 175 million simplifies to 1 in 87.5 million. The numbers are bigger, but it's literally grade school arithmetic.

I think an inability to grasp that demonstrates a substantial defect in the ability to reason and understand simple concepts. If I'm wrong, perhaps you can explain why.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

"Buy 1 combination for each mega ball number, and no matter what mega ball number is drawn you have a 1 in 3,819,816 chance of having the 5 regular numbers that were drawn on the ticket with that mega ball number."

We could buy 460 tickets using each mega ball ten times and say we have a 1 in 381,981.6 chance. Or we could really gamble on 46,000 tickets using each mega ball 1000 times and get a 1 in 3820 chance, which is much better than the chance of one ticket winning a pick 4 game. It looks good on paper but there are still 3,818,816 combos we don't have and only getting a 0.002186% chance of winning the jackpot doesn't make it a very good bet.

"I would think that this would make it completely obvious to even the dumbest of people, but experience has proven me wrong."

If I were planning on buying 46 tickets it makes perfect sense to me to use each mega ball once and know at the very least, I'll get back 2 bucks and have a guaranteed 1 in 3,819,816 chance of winning the jackpot. But to the vast majority of players buying 5 tickets and under, it makes no sense. They know for every extra dollar they spend only reduces the total of 175 million plus combos they don't have by one. While six tickets are better than five, it's still only minutely better.

Who is the real dummy; the player spending $46 knowing they'll probably lose $44 or the player buying a dream for a $1?

You understand that it was simply an exerecise in math, used to demonstrate the odds, right?

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        11974 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

If that were true and you played 5,000 tickets then the ods would be 35,000 to one.

The whole concept is a fairy tale.

Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one.

The theory above would only work if more than one winning set of numbers were drawn.

Thank you very much. Todd did you read that?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

I have more chances but the risk of me having head or tail is 1/2. Why put two bets to face the same risk of one bet at 1/2.

because the odds of you winning the game would be %100. not%50. ie increased buy buying more tickets

this is an argument over what question is being asked. you could go for ever buying tails and heads always coming up, i could go for ever buying heads and tails and always  breaking even.

you are just arguing semantics,  " why buy anything but the winning 6 numbers " is your real point.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

You seem to leave out the cases. If you play a simple pick 6, you get 7 possible results,
            0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 correct numbers. For each case there is a probability.

Normally it is expressed like 0.000,001 for example. Now they make 1:1,000,000 of it.

The total of all the chances is 1, but your payout is lower than 1.

The house always wins.

If you want to be with the lucky ones, you need to pick the right numbers and win more than you spend.

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11974 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Oh my gosh.  Well, if you're going to argue with mathematics, I can't contribute any more to the discussion.  Good luck to you.

"Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one."

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2012, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

"Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one."

Thrifty - you think because one other person agreed with you, that you are correct?

I bet you were just sitting back waiting for that day to come huh?  Did you take a picture of that post, and hang it on your wall to stare at during the night?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Thank you very much. Todd did you read that?

I choose to stop responding to such posts, because the writer of such posts defy the constraints of mathematics, and will argue against the facts almost like they are having a religious debate.

If you want to say that your odds of winning are the same whether you buy one ticket or a thousand tickets, then enjoy your dream land.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                    Member #79057
                    August 26, 2009
                    70 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2012, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I think you have the right idea Todd, there's confused and there's obtuse.   Thrifty... I'll just ask you this.   If there are 175 million combinations and you buy 175 million different combinations - yes each indivitual ticket has a 1 in 175 million chance at winning.   But what are your chances of winning for that drawing of hitting the jackpot????  If you have every combination there is no way for you not to hit the jackpot - so collectively with all those tickets how have your odds of winning not changed????  They went from 1 in 175 million to an absolute hit... I'd take those ODDS!!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

hehehe ACP

a magic fairy  visits lottery post land and hands out dreams,

for you ACP every ticket in powerball, for  thrifty., 1 ticket,

after all the odds are the same,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7295 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2012, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

You understand that it was simply an exerecise in math, used to demonstrate the odds, right?

Right.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2012, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

You seem to understand the difference between Odds and Chances.

The player spending $46 knowing they'll probably lose $44 is the dummy.

Odds are express by a ratio of losing chances to winning chances so for every extra ticket you buy, the chances of losing becomes slightly less and the chances of winning slightly increases. In the example Floyd gave buying 46 tickets each with a different mega number, the odds of each ticket are 3,819,815 to 1. If an extra ticket was bought the odds for the 2 tickets with the same mega number would be 3,819,814 (chances of losing decreasing by 1) to 2 (chances of winning increasing by 1). These odds can be expressed as 1,909,907 to 1.

You're saying if you bought 10 tickets the odds of any one of those tickets winning the jackpot is still 175,711,535 to 1 and that is correct, but because you bought 9 extra tickets your chances of losing decreases by 9 and the chances of winning increases by 9.

175,711,526 to 10 or 17,571,153.5 to 1.

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                            Taunton, Ma
                            United States
                            Member #123005
                            February 11, 2012
                            136 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2012, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

@ Thrifty - No one is arguing that an individual ticket's odds increase when purchasing additional tickets. But it is a fact that overall your chances do increase period. I don't even understand what spurred you to create such a post. I will not resort to insults or questions about your intelligence as others have. I will however tell you that you are wrong wrong wrong.

As long as there is a finite number of combinations, In this case 175million then buying more tickets absolutely increase your odds so long as your playing different combinations. Using your logic, the amount of possible combinations would have to increase by 1 with each ticket purchased. This does not happen. I dont know how else I can put it except that with each combination you play you knocking off a potential winner.

A simple experiment-  Take a deck of cards and remove 3 of the 4 aces leaving on ace in 49 cards. You and a friend take turns pulling for the ace and shuffling in between turns. Fan the deck and allow him to draw 5 at a time an you draw 1. I can garantee he pulls the ace more than you over a 100 attempts. Your chance of getting the ace would be 2.04 % while his would be 10.2 % Granted each individual attempt he makes is still 2.04 % but overall having 5 pulls instead of 1., his chance of winning increase to 10.2%.

Obviously we're talking much larger numbers with the lotto which in turn means a much smaller increase in raising your odds but the principle remains the same as long as there are a finite number of combinations.

United Kingdom
                              Member #122950
                              February 10, 2012
                              85 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2012, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Einstein once said " learning the sum of 1 and 1 is not good enough " and he went on to develop e=mc2.
                              Our math professor once said that " love math, 1 and 1 is not two but 11 " and he grouped us into two groups to debate about it. At the end of the session, 1 and 1= 2.

Who is the Genius? Who is the nerd? Your guess is as good as mine.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

Page 3 of 13