Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying More Tickets Does Not Increase Your Odds.

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 9 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #79057
August 26, 2009
70 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2012, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I hear you CT - I just was simplifying - saying out of 800,000 possible combinations total - not whatever lottery game/odds you guys were dealing with.   If there are ONLY 800,000 possible combinations and you have 799,999 tickets with different combos no one can (or should) be able to say your odds haven't increased by quite a bit.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19823 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2012, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Someone should have posted the disclaimer

"for entertainment only"

on this thread a long time ago before it became just pure BS.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
      NYC
      United States
      Member #117984
      October 19, 2011
      1843 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2012, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

burrrrrrrrn!!!!!!! 

Ohhhh!!!!!!!! 

This thread just became pure BS!!!!!!! OHHHHH! That's a fight on my block lol! 

I bought 3 scratch off tickets today and two were winners... buying more tickets does not increase your odds? That's insane why would someone think that lol. 

Of course if you lose, then that means your just someone whos miserable haha.

check this out: I guess this answers the thread lol: http://www.mtv.com/photos/rob-and-big-episodic-flipbook-season-3-ep-8/1582254/2795490/photo.jhtml

here's the video: http://www.mtv.com/videos/rob-and-big-season-3-ep-8-harry-the-healer-rob-embarks-on-a-spiritual-journey/1582002/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=20692&channelId=1

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2012, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Ah... another sane mind in the midst.  I hear you Mcginnin.   As an early birthday gift to myself I'm giving up posting on this thread.   The law of diminishing returns has long reared it's ugly head and those who chose not to be saved, will not be saved.

Happy Birthday ACPutz!, I couldn't think of a better gift to get yourself!    Party

The law of diminishing returns head doe's appear horrid to gaze upon.   P***ed   Do not look at to long, lest you turn to stone.   Dead

Maybe the man in the blue suit with red cape could save some of these souls?     Noel  (can we settle for a red hat instead?)

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7302 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2012, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

"Nope but if placed the same bet on another number with the same odds (like "2") the odds are 34 to 2 or 17 to 1 by reducing them to the lowest common denominator (exactly the same way the "5 and 9" odds are reduced to 3 to 2). The payoff would be reduced to 15 to one too; I'm pretty sure betting $2 to win $30 is 15 to one odds. If you're having a problem with the way odds are expressed, put them into a percentages. Odds of 17 to one only have 5.88% chance of winning still over twice as better than a bet with 35 to one odds (2.85%)."

Interesting that you're now trying to include another number in the bet on 12. Ther's only one 12, only one winning lotto combination.

But since you like to break thjoings down to percentages,  try this- (they would book this in Vegas, but not in A.C., A.C. doesn't book anything not on the layout)

A one roll bet, which means the next one roll ofthe dice, a "hop" bet -

6 up one die, meaning 6-1, 6-2, 6-3-, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6

The 6-6 pays as a 12, the others as an 11

Back to lotto, since people come to this board assuming it's a board of jackpot winners and make an original post like, "Can you guys tell me what to bet on Mega Millions tomorrow?" (happens every so often) you can't tell me that people seeing this magic 'halving the odds" (how they would interpret 175M becoming 87.5 M on a second play) aren't being misled.

AJ Putz,

Your 800,000 combinations played would leave 174,200,000 not played. Still a wet dream for the house.

And with this, I will stop trying to tell a hair raising story to bald headed men.

Lep

"Interesting that you're now trying to include another number in the bet on 12."

I was talking about making another bet, the same amount with the same odds against winning as the "12". The payoff remains the same just like the MM jackpot remains the same when I buy two tickets with two different combinations. But by betting on the "2", I now have two chances of winning the same prize. The odds are in both games, the bets will lose, but it doesn't change the fact two chances to win the same jackpot are better than one.

"Ther's only one 12, only one winning lotto combination."

Yep, I Agree! there is only one winning jackpot combinations even if I have 100 chances of matching it. But the question here is, "is 100 chances to match the winning combination better than one chance?".

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11978 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2012, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

"RICH GET RICHER WALL STREET GUYS WIN $254M WITH $1 LOTTERY TICKET." FINANCE PROS TURN $1 INTO $254M WITH LOTTERY.  THEY'RE RICH AND RICHERER."

November 2, 2011 POWERBALL WINNING NUMBERS: 12-14-34-39-46+ POWER BALL ( 36 )

"Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one."

"There is one, and only one set of sinning numbers drawn - not one set of winning numbers drawn for each line played.That's why the fraction approach isn't valid."

You can play with fractions all you want but every line played only reduces the possible combinations by one. The "magic bullet" theory or in this case "magic second dollar" or magic "second line played" can do no more than that."

You can't increase or decrease the Odds without changing the game matrix.

"The "enriched Powerball game" will still have participants choosing their first five numbers from a pool of 59, but the numbers available for the Powerball itself will drop to 35 from 39.

That will raise the odds of winning to 1 in 175 million from 1 in 192 million.

It does not matter how many people play the only thing affected by the amount of players is the size of the jackpot if there are multiple winners."

"Buy Just One Ticket Or Two Tickets Every Week (At Most):

The key to winning a major lottery is to always be a participant and prospective candidate to win by simply playing.

There is no sense in ever buying multiple tickets to any one lottery drawing to increase one's odds. With Powerball odds of 1 in 175,223,510 millions and Mega Millions odds of 1 in 175,711,536 millions, changing that 1 into a 2 or 3 isn't going to make a noticeable dent in your long shot odds. There is no appreciable statistical difference between odds of 1 in 175 millions chances and 5 in 175 millions chances - your odds are still incredibly slim. However, there is a huge difference between odds of zero in 175 millions and 1 in 175 millions.

The key to winning the lottery is to just be a player, not try to increase your odds of striking the jackpot.

Think of it this way - with a single ticket, your odds of losing are likely 99.99999%. Even with hundreds of ticket entries, your odds of losing likely only improve marginally to 99.99998% - still pretty unfavorable. But with that one lone ticket, at least you have a chance."

THE SHOTGUN PLAYING METHOD.

HITTING THE TARGET.

when a shotgun is fired all those pellets that are crammed into the cartridge spread out so it's easier to hit the target.

Yes you can increase your chances of winning by buying more tickets, but every single ticket will go against the Odds of the particular game.

"Thrifty is right, each individual ticket (one line of numbers) is up against the very same odds, 175,000,000 to one."

PLAYING THE LOTTERY MORE OFTEN FOR MORE LINES=  SPENDING MORE MONEY=  GAMBLING ADDICTION.

US Flag     White Bounce   GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
              Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2012, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I think that with a budget of 123 870 USD or EUR, we could play decently.
              My plan would be to check out all the odds and payouts for all the games there first.
              After that, having a look at the history of the game. There are enough programmers here.
              It is up to Todd I believe, to make a fair deal of it. Play to win and share, just deducing the costs.

S.

See Ya!

Bronx, NY
                United States
                Member #124198
                March 8, 2012
                105 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I've been lurking on this board for years, but this thread is what made me decide to get an account.  I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that yes technically buying more tickets will increase your odds, but when you talk about the big lotteries like MM and PB its not going to be by much.  The average person buys maybe 5-10 lines every drawing.  That person's odds is higher than the one who just bought one line, but the percentage is incredibly small.  Even though I know this, I still buy at least 3-5 tickets every drawing, because  I figure, every little bit helps.  I'm going to spend that extra couple of dollars for a chance to win millions.

Appleton, Wi
                  United States
                  Member #118178
                  October 24, 2011
                  199 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2012, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

I've been lurking on this board for years, but this thread is what made me decide to get an account.  I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that yes technically buying more tickets will increase your odds, but when you talk about the big lotteries like MM and PB its not going to be by much.  The average person buys maybe 5-10 lines every drawing.  That person's odds is higher than the one who just bought one line, but the percentage is incredibly small.  Even though I know this, I still buy at least 3-5 tickets every drawing, because  I figure, every little bit helps.  I'm going to spend that extra couple of dollars for a chance to win millions.

The halving theory of Odds Calculation for MegaMillions

(that nobody on LotteryPost believes)

One ticket purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:175,711,536

Two tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:87,855,768

Three tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:43,927,884

Four tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:21,963,942

Five tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:10,981,971

Six tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:5,490,985

Seven tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:2,745,492

Eight tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:1,372,746

Ten tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:343,186

Fifteen tickets purchased. Odds of Jackpot 1:10,724

Twenty tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:335

Twentyone tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:167

Twentytwo tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:83

Twentythree tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:41

Twentyfour tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:21

Twentyfive tickets purchased. Odds of jackpot 1:10

Nobody figures odds this way. Do they? Instead the odds of winning MegaMillions if 25 tickets are purchased is figured out to be 25:175,711,536 or 1:7,028,461. Right? Each one of the 25 tickets has a 1 in 7,028,461 chance of hitting the jackpot. Right PoeticJustice32?

BlueDuck

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19823 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2012, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

I think that with a budget of 123 870 USD or EUR, we could play decently.
                    My plan would be to check out all the odds and payouts for all the games there first.
                    After that, having a look at the history of the game. There are enough programmers here.
                    It is up to Todd I believe, to make a fair deal of it. Play to win and share, just deducing the costs.

S.

See Ya!

If that made any sense, there would be players with such a budget trying it. When Massachusetts had a roll down scheme for their lottery that such a budget could beat, big spenders came from out of state to play.

Evil Looking       

Appleton, Wi
                      United States
                      Member #118178
                      October 24, 2011
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2012, 3:16 am - IP Logged

PoeticJustice32,

Welcome to LotteryPost and hope you have a Great time.

Best Luck,

BlueDuck

(forgot my manners, there, for a minute.)

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                        Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123700
                        February 27, 2012
                        4035 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Nobody figures odds this way. Do they? Instead the odds of winning MegaMillions if 25 tickets are purchased is figured out to be 25:175,711,536 or 1:7,028,461. Right? Each one of the 25 tickets has a 1 in 7,028,461 chance of hitting the jackpot. Right PoeticJustice32?

BlueDuck

I believe that 1:175,711,536 is a ratio. In accoutancy you have ratios like 1.5 or 5.2 or 0.5.
                        In case one should say for two tickets: "Odds of winning the jackpot are, by buying two tickets, 2:175,711,536."

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2012, 1:19 am - IP Logged

BlueDuck

Of course nobody believes that, and of course none of us who understand the math has ever said it works that way. Still, we've got at least one poster who seems to think that really is what we're saying.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19823 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2012, 6:10 am - IP Logged

We all read posts and think we know what the writers are trying to say.  Some post one thing and try to say something different.  When THRIFTY says "BUYING MORE TICKETS DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS", he is right in spite of what he may think.  Buying more tickets REDUCE your odds.  If the odds of winning are 1:175M with one ticket then buying five tickets reduce those odds to 1:35M.

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2012, 6:53 am - IP Logged

i cant believe this thread is still going.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Page 9 of 13