Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 75 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
green sandals's avatar - bxvg
Costa Mesa
United States
Member #150634
December 27, 2013
157 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2014, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Went out and bought 2 silver 7's from a machine...   $0. and $0.

The lady behind me however bought one and hit the TP for $77,777....  I need a drink!

Arghhhh!!

That's one for the books.

You have my sympathies.

CA
    United States
    Member #141455
    April 14, 2013
    182 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2014, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

bought some more cali blacks

21 - 0

20 - 0

19 - $20 first win on this *^^*

18 - tix

17 - 0

$20 - 5 Million Jackpot $100 (#23) $50 (#29)
    $10 - Cali Gold $500 (#45) // Lucky for Life $50 // Diamond Million $50 (#18) // 20X Crosswords $100 (#32,#24,#14) $75 (#13)
    $05 - Lucky for Life $40 // Fortune 55 $50 // WinItAll $500 // MegaXWord $100
    $03 - 10x The Money $100 (#63) $50 (#58) || $02 - Season's Gold $100

LA CA
      United States
      Member #118691
      November 6, 2011
      416 Posts
      Posted: February 6, 2014, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I have bought number 014 through 025 of $10 Fortunes on different days ..all I have won is $15 on 024 serial number...How many total tickets are in a Fortune roll? Should I continue buying it?

Costa Mesa
        United States
        Member #150634
        December 27, 2013
        157 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2014, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I have bought number 014 through 025 of $10 Fortunes on different days ..all I have won is $15 on 024 serial number...How many total tickets are in a Fortune roll? Should I continue buying it?

Most of the time, there will be one ticket in a pack worth $100 or more.  I don't know if, in a pack with a big winner, the big winner replaces the $100 ticket or is added in addition to it.

1MF has approx 6% of it's tickets remaining, based on dividing total prizes won by total prizes (not entirely accurate because we don't know the total amount of tickets sold). With 3 out of 25 GP left, that percentage is 12%.  The amount of remaining tickets is appox. 1,900,000 or 38,000 packs (50 to a pack).  If you estimate each retailer has one or two packs (CaLottery is not issueing anymore packs) that's somewhere between 19,000 & 38,000 retailers you're looking at.  That's the long answer.

The short answer of course is, you never know.

I'll still play 1MF if I can find it (difficult at this point) and  it feels right.

If you track the difference between odds of GPs and total odds for winning prizes in scratchers, $5 MegaCW (855), the grey one, looks better, with a difference of 30% & 11% between GPs and total prizes.  I've played this game and have usually lost.  Top prize won so far is $20.

Don't know if this helps, but FWIW, those are my thoughts.

GLTA

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2014, 11:49 am - IP Logged

It depends.

Did you actually buy all tickets of 014-025 inclusive over multiple days? Nobody came in and snagged other tickets in the middle?

If so, then that's roll is selling really slowly. So you have to ask yourself, why? I keep track of ticket pack numbers at a store, so I can see the sell rate of a pack. Some stores go through several packs a day, some only 1 pack a week.

If nobody else is buying this roll except you, it could be because the game is old or ending, but it also could be another reason. As Green Sandals said, there's usually only 1 or 2 mid-tier ($50, $100 ... $500) prizes in a pack. Did someone already get that? (maybe the clerk) So nobody is playing the pack because it's most likely duds or ticket value wins? (or a top prize...you never know...)

Hard to say without knowing the store.

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2014, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Got a couple CA Black Excl:

#012,013: 0, $100 - 15 matches of $5/$10

California
              United States
              Member #147209
              September 25, 2013
              90 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2014, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

That's my greatest fear with these games.  I leave after I buy them so I have this fear that I will come back the next day and they will tell me that I just missed the big one. 

Have been having success with Gold recently

Bought 1 yesterday and it was a $50 winner (#029)

laguna hills, ca
                United States
                Member #116009
                September 2, 2011
                48 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2014, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

has anyone here ever won anything on the CA lottery scratchers second chance drawings?

United States
                  Member #147165
                  September 24, 2013
                  507 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2014, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

has anyone here ever won anything on the CA lottery scratchers second chance drawings?

I have not any, even though it was the reason I was more into scratchers and I kept stretching my budget and played agressively since its debut back in December 2008. I have more than 10,000 tickets entered (of various denominations) since then in my account history.

I have not won ...

Any of the ten $1k winner quarterly draws

Any of the game's top prize drawing

Game Specific Drawings - Win It All, $1 Million Fortune, Monopoly, $5 Million Jackpot, Lucky For Life 

Warner Brothers MP3 Downloads or Other prizes [Probably the easiest one if anything] - 2009

Chargers, Raiders, 49ers promotion - 2011

CALottery's 25th anniversary - 2010

Strike It Rich - 80 Scratchers a Week - 2012

Livin the Dream - Summer of 2013

The $5000 draw 1 millionth Replay account promotion

Probably forgot a few, but even with the extra opportunites that the CALottery, I have not won anything. I am cutting back gradually and will not use 2nd Chance as motivation.

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: February 8, 2014, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Some more CA Black: $10, $20

And a couple of New Mega Crossword: $20, 0

I think this was the first time I had a win on both panels, $10 each side, I only remember wins on 1 of 2 panels on previous games. But then again I don't play a lot of Mega Crossword so my experience is limited.

United States
                      Member #147165
                      September 24, 2013
                      507 Posts
                      Posted: February 8, 2014, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Some more CA Black: $10, $20

And a couple of New Mega Crossword: $20, 0

I think this was the first time I had a win on both panels, $10 each side, I only remember wins on 1 of 2 panels on previous games. But then again I don't play a lot of Mega Crossword so my experience is limited.

Luck has found you (slogan based off of CA Black advertising)

Costa Mesa
                        United States
                        Member #150634
                        December 27, 2013
                        157 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2014, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Interesting day today.  Plese forgive the length of this post.

Back in Westminster to another smokefilled Vietnamese cafe/coffee shop.  If they have scratchers, they'll probably be found in a vending machine, and that's what I wanted to play today.  Kinda went off the deep end.  Initially bought 11 5MJP tickets, went home as I usually do, and scratched them off. 

Sucked.  Only 3 (20, ticket, and 50) winners out of 11 tickets.  Entered the losers on second chance and was looking at the numbers and noticed I had bought 028-018.  As the deck was going from high to low from the vending machine, that meant besides the 11 I just bought, only one other ticket had been purchased.  I started thinking  about the odds of the big ticket in the deck being somewhere in the next 10 tickets as opposed to it being in #029.  I also knew with the avg payback in this game being approx 78%, and with my payback so far at 41%, I was way below that average, although as decks with big winners have payouts above 100%, payouts below the average wouldn't be unusual.  The question was, how far below the average would be unusual. 

I went back, thinking I still might lose (and then feeling real lousy for the day, particularly for chasing a winner, which is something I try to avoid), but the avg return on my next purchase stood to be better and the big ticket was most likely still in there.  So I returned to purchase another 10, and scratched them off in my car, something I almost never do.  This time 4 winners out of 10 (20, ticket, 20, and 25).  I had invested $420 & won $175 for a loss of $245, but there was still no big ticket, unless it was #029, and I did have the thought that if someone had bought that one for a big win, they might have bought the next one at some point.  So I went back in and finished the deck, purchasing the remaining 8 tickets.  This time 3 out of 8 were winners, but the big ticket was in there at #005 in a clump of 3 winners(500, 20, 20), and it was for $500.

So for my total investment of $580 I got back $715.  Not sure what to exactly think of it yet.  Maybe when there's a big winner, the rest of the deck might look lousy?  Maybe if you get a big clump of winners in a deck, quit?  All I'm sure of is the experience left me feeling jittery for all the early losing, and when it was over I felt I needed either a cape cod or an oatmeal cookie and a glass of cold milk to settle down.  Went with the cookie and milk.

Since I almost purchased an entire deck, if anyone would like to see the complete sequence of winners and losers, let me know, and I'll post that.

GLTA

Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2014, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Back in Westminster to another smokefilled Vietnamese cafe/coffee shop.  If they have scratchers, they'll probably be found in a vending machine, and that's what I wanted to play today.  Kinda went off the deep end.  Initially bought 11 5MJP tickets, went home as I usually do, and scratched them off. 

Sucked.  Only 3 (20, ticket, and 50) winners out of 11 tickets.  Entered the losers on second chance and was looking at the numbers and noticed I had bought 028-018.  As the deck was going from high to low from the vending machine, that meant besides the 11 I just bought, only one other ticket had been purchased.  I started thinking  about the odds of the big ticket in the deck being somewhere in the next 10 tickets as opposed to it being in #029.  I also knew with the avg payback in this game being approx 78%, and with my payback so far at 41%, I was way below that average, although as decks with big winners have payouts above 100%, payouts below the average wouldn't be unusual.  The question was, how far below the average would be unusual. 

I went back, thinking I still might lose (and then feeling real lousy for the day, particularly for chasing a winner, which is something I try to avoid), but the avg return on my next purchase stood to be better and the big ticket was most likely still in there.  So I returned to purchase another 10, and scratched them off in my car, something I almost never do.  This time 4 winners out of 10 (20, ticket, 20, and 25).  I had invested $420 & won $175 for a loss of $245, but there was still no big ticket, unless it was #029, and I did have the thought that if someone had bought that one for a big win, they might have bought the next one at some point.  So I went back in and finished the deck, purchasing the remaining 8 tickets.  This time 3 out of 8 were winners, but the big ticket was in there at #005 in a clump of 3 winners(500, 20, 20), and it was for $500.

So for my total investment of $580 I got back $715.  Not sure what to exactly think of it yet.  Maybe when there's a big winner, the rest of the deck might look lousy?  Maybe if you get a big clump of winners in a deck, quit?  All I'm sure of is the experience left me feeling jittery for all the early losing, and when it was over I felt I needed either a cape cod or an oatmeal cookie and a glass of cold milk to settle down.  Went with the cookie and milk.

Since I almost purchased an entire deck, if anyone would like to see the complete sequence of winners and losers, let me know, and I'll post that.

GLTA

No problem with the length, that's a great description. Thumbs Up

Congrats on chasing down that $500 winner! Cheers

I'd look at the $5M JP game this way:

Only about 1 in 14 packs will have a $500 winner, and you got one there. The total return for the game is 78% but that includes all the top prize tiers. A more typical return for players would be 60-65% return.

Not sure what the minimum pack value is, but I estimate it at $295. You got a profitable pack, that's also not common, as you can see from the main scratch results thread, those guys on the east coast buying entire packs at a time. Some games can be as awful as 33-40% pack return, and only 1 in 10 packs would be profitable on average.

You beat the odds!

Costa Mesa
                            United States
                            Member #150634
                            December 27, 2013
                            157 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2014, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

No problem with the length, that's a great description. Thumbs Up

Congrats on chasing down that $500 winner! Cheers

I'd look at the $5M JP game this way:

Only about 1 in 14 packs will have a $500 winner, and you got one there. The total return for the game is 78% but that includes all the top prize tiers. A more typical return for players would be 60-65% return.

Not sure what the minimum pack value is, but I estimate it at $295. You got a profitable pack, that's also not common, as you can see from the main scratch results thread, those guys on the east coast buying entire packs at a time. Some games can be as awful as 33-40% pack return, and only 1 in 10 packs would be profitable on average.

You beat the odds!

Thanks Jon

United States
                              Member #147165
                              September 24, 2013
                              507 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2014, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

GLTA

Thanks for sharing your story, it probably would have taken me a half hour to write such a thing. Overall congrats on winning the $500 in the end. Most of the time people play the HotSpot (4-minute Keno) game at those Vietnamese cafes, but at least you had the opportunity to buy the entire set with just skipping #29.

It is one thing I was hoping to learn on these forums, is the trend of scratcher rolls. I have chased and bought entire rolls of $5 games in the past. As the $5 games Take 5 and Mega Crossword in 2010 had 1 in 1714 and 1 in 2400 odds respectively for $500 prize. With 80 scratchers in a $5 pack, it would be 1 in 22 or 30, but thats definitely a low guarantee.

It was mainly Ticket, $6, $10, $15, or $20 winners. No guarantees of $30, $50, or $100 in a few rows. Rather than $400, usually $200 was good enough to go through a set when winners are redeemed right away. When I chased I took the tickets I bought and I scratched off the part where there is a bar code and quickly scanned the ticket on the ticket verifier so that I could quickly purchase more if needed. It would kill the excitement and suspense that comes with a scratcher game.

At least in the $5 Million JP game, though the return is 78%, just 97510 tickets out of 33.6 million are worth $500 or more. With 30 tickets a pack, and 1.12 million packs, on average 1 out of 11 packs (as Jon mentioned) will have a high prize ticket. But 1 in 14 for $500 (1 in 420).

You did luck out, the odds of a profitable pack is that low. I never had such a good outcome chasing wins.

Page 75 of 182