Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 69 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2014, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I just read that same story...Good for him.. Even if I miss any winning number, I will catch it when I enter the second chance.

Yeah, always scan tickets and/or enter replay to check for missed winners.

The lottery is very sneaky, trying to hide top prizes as single number matches at the bottom of the ticket. They use all kinds of sneaky tricks in the manufacture of scratch tickets, that's just one.

Low-tier prizes are often single number matches, with many ticket value wins overlooked and thrown away. And then the bonus game features like win-all and 10X and other symbols are used for mid-tier prizes. But then they go back to single number matches again for the high-tier and Top prizes. Except for LFL which is a top prize LIFE symbol, they cant' hide that one.

They should make large or top prizes easy to spot with symbols or multiple matches, etc. But they don't seem to do that. So therefore they must want the large/top prizes to be easy to miss. Mad

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2014, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Have you noticed that on the new $10 Black game, the instant winners are all symbols, a departure from all current $10 and $20 instant winners?  Frankly, I think it's much easier to spot 50, 75, 100, and 500 than symbols that you match on the card description. 

I have degrees in Economics and Psychology, so the lottery intrigues me from two different perspectives, the mathematical/statistical and phychological aspect.  With psychology, it's both how they design the game to entice players and also perception in indentifying winners.  Like Jon D mentions above, it's not accidental that large prize winners might be the last spot or with the next $10 game, have symbols for instant wins, when $10 and $20 players are conditioned on seeing numbers for instant wins.

We know that you don't have "x chances to win" that we see adverstised on tickets.  It's all predetermined, you're either a winner or not on each ticket but that plays to the psyche of the average player.  The ticket itself has the 1 in x odds of winning a prize. 

Also, CAScratcher mentioned that losing tickets have two top prizes in the prize field.  I see that too.  And, some of those matching numbers might be off by one from winning numbers to cause some people to think they "almost" won the top tier prize when that's not the case.  Very sneaky.

United States
      Member #147165
      September 24, 2013
      507 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2014, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Have you noticed that on the new $10 Black game, the instant winners are all symbols, a departure from all current $10 and $20 instant winners?  Frankly, I think it's much easier to spot 50, 75, 100, and 500 than symbols that you match on the card description. 

I have degrees in Economics and Psychology, so the lottery intrigues me from two different perspectives, the mathematical/statistical and phychological aspect.  With psychology, it's both how they design the game to entice players and also perception in indentifying winners.  Like Jon D mentions above, it's not accidental that large prize winners might be the last spot or with the next $10 game, have symbols for instant wins, when $10 and $20 players are conditioned on seeing numbers for instant wins.

We know that you don't have "x chances to win" that we see adverstised on tickets.  It's all predetermined, you're either a winner or not on each ticket but that plays to the psyche of the average player.  The ticket itself has the 1 in x odds of winning a prize. 

Also, CAScratcher mentioned that losing tickets have two top prizes in the prize field.  I see that too.  And, some of those matching numbers might be off by one from winning numbers to cause some people to think they "almost" won the top tier prize when that's not the case.  Very sneaky.

That is a good insight. Looking at most $5 ot $10 games that gets put out, they have similar prize structures so winners are predetermined.

Hot Streak $5 - 6 games in 1

Fortune 55 - 55 chances to win

Jumbo Bucks/Black Pearls - 20 chances to win

I have not seen the new $10 California Black Exclusive game but looking at the newsletter it seems to be similar to the other $10 games which are number matching with 10X, 20X, and Win ALL symbol. The promotion is very much the same like Fortune 55, where you can win extra entries to the 2nd chance top prize draw.

The $5 California Black set the top prize from the traditional $100K to $250K and made middle tier (>$500 to $10k) much more rare, I suppose that turned out really well since the 2nd chance drawing had over 5 million entries to it.

United States
        Member #147165
        September 24, 2013
        507 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I always enter my tickets into replay as well for verification purposes. It happened a few times where I missed a winning ticket only to verify on replay. I even enter in codes from winners to see if I really won. Now with their new site, if you enter 5 to 10 invalid codes in a row, your account gets locked out for 30 minutes.

Where they win is just 20-25% of the tickets sold as losers get entered into replay

Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2014, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Dang, I should run the spell-checker...  Embarassed

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2014, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

I always enter my tickets into replay as well for verification purposes. It happened a few times where I missed a winning ticket only to verify on replay. I even enter in codes from winners to see if I really won. Now with their new site, if you enter 5 to 10 invalid codes in a row, your account gets locked out for 30 minutes.

Where they win is just 20-25% of the tickets sold as losers get entered into replay

Interesting...I didn't know about the website lockout issue.

Never really tested it I guess. I only sometimes enter winners and get the invalid warning, mostly with extended play bingo/crossword games, since I don't even bother playing them unless they are a confirmed winner.(the whole idea of "playing" the crossword is kinda silly to me...)

But as far as total entries, I don't think the lottery cares. They give out the top prize no matter how many entries.(as long as it is claimed) But the more entries there are, the more diluted my entries become, and reduces my chances of winning. So if it's only 10-20% of total tickets entered, that's fine with me. Wink

United States
              Member #147165
              September 24, 2013
              507 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2014, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Interesting...I didn't know about the website lockout issue.

Never really tested it I guess. I only sometimes enter winners and get the invalid warning, mostly with extended play bingo/crossword games, since I don't even bother playing them unless they are a confirmed winner.(the whole idea of "playing" the crossword is kinda silly to me...)

But as far as total entries, I don't think the lottery cares. They give out the top prize no matter how many entries.(as long as it is claimed) But the more entries there are, the more diluted my entries become, and reduces my chances of winning. So if it's only 10-20% of total tickets entered, that's fine with me. Wink

I think to add on to what I was going to say about the 20% - 25% of the losing tickets get entered, so the other tickets not entered creates more of a probability of being winners thrown away. Thats where they win.

I too only play winners on Crosswords, I scratch off the code and entered them. I discovered the lockout issue when I had a good stretch of winning tickets. Only happened once.

I used to follow second chance in the past very tightly, and the 20-25% statistic came from the $5 scratchers, I monitored how many tickets are left unsold before end of game, and how many tickets got entered in. $10 scratchers have a higher percentage entered judging by the two $250 Million Cash Spectacular games (people want a chance to win $1 Million).

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #149492
                December 2, 2013
                919 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2014, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Another oops (clarification)... it was the new $20 game that's coming out at some point that had symbols for instant wins.  Not sure how the $10 Black is structured with respect to instant wins.

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2014, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I think to add on to what I was going to say about the 20% - 25% of the losing tickets get entered, so the other tickets not entered creates more of a probability of being winners thrown away. Thats where they win.

I too only play winners on Crosswords, I scratch off the code and entered them. I discovered the lockout issue when I had a good stretch of winning tickets. Only happened once.

I used to follow second chance in the past very tightly, and the 20-25% statistic came from the $5 scratchers, I monitored how many tickets are left unsold before end of game, and how many tickets got entered in. $10 scratchers have a higher percentage entered judging by the two $250 Million Cash Spectacular games (people want a chance to win $1 Million).

The percentage entered into 2nd chance can be even less for the lower denomination Scratchers. I didn't look at a lot, but the smaller $1, $2 and $3 games can be as low as only 10% of available losing tickets entered. I concur around 20% typically entered for $5 tickets.

And as far as the profitability of the lottery on thrown away winners, it really has to do with the type of game and the sneaky features they employ in the play area to make people think they lost. Like bingo/crossword games are notorious for thrown away winners. And the Triple Play games also have the confusing feature of 3 ways to win. Those can end up making a few percentage additional profit for the lottery on those games compared normal games.

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2014, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Another oops (clarification)... it was the new $20 game that's coming out at some point that had symbols for instant wins.  Not sure how the $10 Black is structured with respect to instant wins.

I'm a fan of symbols.<caveat> Less likely to miss than a number match. And if the game is only symbols, it is usually much quicker.

Of course, they still do sneaky psychological mind games on you with what I call "symbol creep." Like in some games "money bag" or a "star" symbol is a win or a 10x, but other games it is nothing. They keep shuffling around and reusing all these same symbols on different games with different purposes to get your mind in a false state of excitement, just like many other sneaky features in the games.

Stop messing with my mind! Crazy

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
                      Costa Mesa
                      United States
                      Member #150634
                      December 27, 2013
                      157 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2014, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

February's coming.

feb games

United States
                        Member #147165
                        September 24, 2013
                        507 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

February's coming.

feb games

The only one I will consider playing is the $10 California Black Exclusive.

I think the $5 Mega Crossword is probably in its 6th format (blue, red, aqua green, dark blue, white, now light blue?), I lost count but I still do not know the reason its popular.

Speaking of California Black Exclusive

http://www.calottery.com/happenings/events/ca-black-exclusive

There is going to be an event for it as well as an online game where you could earn additional entries to 2nd chance.

I suppose this will have lot more top prizes and wlll not end for a while. If that is the case, I will probably stick with California Gold.

Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #149492
                          December 2, 2013
                          919 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2014, 4:28 am - IP Logged

The only one I will consider playing is the $10 California Black Exclusive.

I think the $5 Mega Crossword is probably in its 6th format (blue, red, aqua green, dark blue, white, now light blue?), I lost count but I still do not know the reason its popular.

Speaking of California Black Exclusive

http://www.calottery.com/happenings/events/ca-black-exclusive

There is going to be an event for it as well as an online game where you could earn additional entries to 2nd chance.

I suppose this will have lot more top prizes and wlll not end for a while. If that is the case, I will probably stick with California Gold.

This baffles me as well.  The one high-traffic store I frequent, it seems this is their #1 seller.  In the $5 category, it has the worst odds, and the top prize is on the lower end.  Also, it's the chasers at this store that mostly play those too.  They just buy, scratch the code, and scan.

United States
                            Member #147165
                            September 24, 2013
                            507 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2014, 5:19 am - IP Logged

Speaking of the screenshot, found out the Idaho Lottery has a $20 Million $$ Match game, but their top prize is set for $250k, a far cry from the $1 million, $2 million, $5 million seen on the survey.

http://www.idaholottery.com/games/scratch/scratch.aspx?id=1108

I would play this game myself if those where the odds, except California has much greater population.

San Fran
                              United States
                              Member #150212
                              December 17, 2013
                              97 Posts
                              Posted: January 24, 2014, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone noticed on the $20 ticket, if you have a 408 or a 409 in the 500 spot it is pretty much going to be a losing ticket?

Page 69 of 182